Start by marking “Wolf Pear” as Want to Read:
Wolf Pear

Read Excerpt

Wolf Pear

Esther Crooke is a lonely woman, obsessed with her unique books and her home grown tomatoes – but she has a secret buried deep within her garden. JD Cusack is one of Australia's finest detectives. He has a mysterious gift for solving crimes that have been cold for years. When his brother is brutally murdered, he sets out in pursuit of a serial-killer and must follow the sc ...more
Published February 6th 2011 by Lulu

To ask other readers questions about Wolf Pear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wolf Pear

Lynxie
I did not expect that!

I stumbled across Dianne's books by accident, it wasn't even through Goodreads, but when I learnt that not only was she an Aussie, but a multi-award winning author, I had to give her work a try.

I was not disappointed!

The plot was intricate, but easy to understand, it had murder, mystery, paranormal themes and even a tiny bit of romance.

The characters were brilliantly written. I loved Esther, she was so thoroughly unique and not perfect it made the book perfect. JD was full
Kate Johnston
Jul 27, 2015 Kate Johnston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wolf Pear, by Dianne Gray, is a well-written, complex book about two lives that intersect through a murder. Esther Crookes is bullied by her family for being overweight and unmarried, yet she runs a successful eatery, Crooke’s Books & Cafe, in town, the one place she is respected.

She has a secret – there’s a body in her garden, and she buried it.

JD Cusak is a savvy police detective who has yet to move past a childhood ordeal, only to have to contend with the crushing blow of his brother’s mu
Dannie Hill
Oct 13, 2014 Dannie Hill rated it it was amazing
First let me say I thoroughly enjoyed read Wolf Pear by Dianne Gray. She took two almost completely different stories and let them converge into a wonderful complete book.

One thing that amazed me was how the author used so many characters, kept them separated and gave each a distinct personality that I could relate to. I also liked the use of main characters that don’t fit the norm for today’s writing.

The story kept the tension and anticipation of the outcome in question until then end. The two
Charissa
Jan 20, 2013 Charissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
4.5 - Suspenseful criminal thriller. Esther is an emotionally abused single woman who has been caught up in something bigger than herself. JD is a detective that has paranormal gifts to see the dead...kind of like The Sixth Sense. Yikes! He is looking for the serial killer that killed his brother, and it leads him to Esther, the girl who grows huge, abnormal tomatoes in her eerie garden. The author gave just enough detail in each chapter to pull you along in the mystery without giving away the k ...more
Susan Nairn
Sep 20, 2012 Susan Nairn rated it it was amazing
Great read with a very interesting plot line. Can't wait to read more from Dianne Gray.
Jacqui
Jan 01, 2017 Jacqui rated it it was amazing
We meet Esther Crooke, the heroine of Dianne Gray's Wolf Pear (Amazon Digital Services 2011) as she is burying a dead body in her backyard. As she finishes, her family arrives for a short visit and spends most of the time berating her for being overweight and single. This despite Esther's success at starting and running her own bakery. We quickly find out Esther is part of a very odd family.

"He promised to return it [something Esther's father borrowed] and must have driven by that afternoon and
Francis Guenette
Apr 08, 2014 Francis Guenette rated it it was amazing
One of the most unlikely and satisfying love stories I’ve ever read.

Wolf Pear is, hands down, an absolute delight – like sinking one’s teeth into a ripe and luscious tomato fresh off the vine. For that is what a wolf pear is – a tomato. And this novel is about as juicy and tasty as its title suggests.

Now you might ask yourself – how can anyone call a book about a poor woman who has been bullied, pushed, shoved, and taken advantage of all her life and a grief-stricken, haunted police detective on
Tiffany Loves Books
With a novel like this it is apparent to me why your writing has won so many awards, Dianne. I absolutely love this novel. It is captivating, enthralling, has great pacing, relatable narrators, intrigue, suspense and an amazing storyline.

Wolf Pear has two narrators: Esther and JD.
* Esther is someone who has been emotionally abused all of her life. She is just a fat waste of space that will never amount to anything as far as her family is concerned. She tries to live her life in spite of their
Carrie
Jul 16, 2015 Carrie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indies
The book starts with a woman burying a body in her yard, and the intrigue doesn't let up from there. The chapters alternate between two point-of-view characters. First there's Esther Crookes, a lonely woman, unattractive by society's standards, who is ridiculed by her family and longs for something more. Complicating her life is the body she just buried in her yard. Next is JD Cusack, a well-respected police detective with his own secret, one that gives him a special skill that acts as both a gi ...more
Rick Mallery
Sep 06, 2012 Rick Mallery rated it it was amazing
Read this book! The opening scene sets the tone of mystery and suspense that pervades the rest of the book. Esther buries a body, and our discovery of how this corpse found its final resting place in the garden of a frumpy but gritty bookshop owner is interwoven with the story of JD, a psychic detective, who is on the trail of a serial killer.

This well-crafted book explores the dark recesses of the dual protagonist's lives as they interact with a world of crazy family members, oblivious law enfo
Kath Unsworth
Sep 01, 2014 Kath Unsworth rated it really liked it
I have just finished Wolf Pear and the last couple of chapters of this book I could not stop reading. Dianne Gray has a unique Australian style all of her own. The characters jump off the page and I feel like I have met them all before somewhere. If you like a serious adult murder mystery with a slight paranormal edge. You will enjoy this read. I am going back for more, as Dianne has many other novels to choose from and Im am hooked.
Dale
Jul 30, 2013 Dale rated it it was amazing
I feel like I've been on a trip but no, I've just read Wolf Pear. Many times when I go on holidays I fall in love with the place and think oh, it would be so good to just stay. Reading Dianne Gray's novel, it's the same, I fell in love and made new friends, enjoyed the miles & twists & turns of the journey, and despite the deaths and Esther's horrible family I wanted to move to Boonup. I knew I was going to enjoy this read, but I didn't realise how much.
P.A. Wilson
Oct 11, 2014 P.A. Wilson rated it it was amazing
In Wolf Pear, Dianne Gray gives us a fascinating story of family dynamics, horticulture, the paranormal and murder. She makes us love the quirkiness of all the characters while still keeping a grim tone to the entire story. I liked it so much I bought the other books listed at the end.
anita
anita rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2012
Phillip Auten
Phillip Auten rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Stella Jones
Stella Jones rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2015
Louise Orozco
Louise Orozco rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2016
Karen Lopez
Karen Lopez rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2012
Prabhjot
Prabhjot marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2012
Nathan
Nathan marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2013
Wordpower
Wordpower marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2013
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2013
Dan Thompson
Dan Thompson marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013
Stacey Namiotka
Stacey Namiotka marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2013
Stefan
Stefan marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Miss
Miss marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Bob Schmehl
Bob Schmehl marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Ivona
Ivona added it
Apr 10, 2016
Jasmin Martin
Jasmin Martin marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Jacqui
Jacqui is currently reading it
Dec 30, 2016
Debby Van
Debby Van marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2017
Sherrie
Sherrie marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2017
I'm a writer and a dreamer. My latest short story was shortlisted in the top three of the 2016 Ruth Rendell Writing award, judged by Lynda La Plante. Some of my short stories have been published in Australian anthologies:

Harper Collins - "Enter"
Ginninderra Press - "The Lunatic, the Lover and the Poet"
Harlequin/MIRA press - "Scarlet Stiletto - The First Cut".

...and some of my novels have won award
More about Dianne F. Gray...