Start by marking “Soul's Child” as Want to Read:
Soul's Child

Read Excerpt

Soul's Child

Aurora Jones dreams in pictures that depict tragedy and death. After the death of her mother and sister, Aurora's father, Merv, moves them across the world from Australia to LA, where he forges a new career as a celebrity ghost hunter, thanks to Aurora's dreams. But Aurora sees her father changing into a character she doesn't recognize – his alter ego – Clive Soul.
Paperback, First, 86 pages
Published by Lulu (first published November 13th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Soul's Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul's Child

The Book Thief by Markus ZusakTomorrow, When the War Began by John MarsdenOn the Jellicoe Road by Melina MarchettaSaving Francesca by Melina MarchettaLooking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta
Best Australian YA Books
139th out of 270 books — 463 voters
Into the Americas by Lance MorcanWorld Odyssey by Lance MorcanThe World Duology by Lance MorcanThe Orphan Factory by James MorcanThe Stone Gate by Mark Mann
Aussie Indie Books
42nd out of 143 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Carrie
Sep 25, 2015 Carrie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indies
"Something happened to me on the road that night that no doctor could diagnose and no x-ray could see"---I loved that line from early on in the book. It foreshadows the mysterious and spiritual elements of the story perfectly. After suffering a great loss, Aurora Jones' father moves her from Australia to LA where he gets caught up in a new career as a celebrity ghost hunter, leaving her to suffer the consequences. The girl's angst is palpable, making you want to scoop her into your arms and ...more
Lynxie
Sep 17, 2013 Lynxie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans, ghost hunter wannabes!
Thoroughly engrossing, Soul's Child grasped me from the first paragraph and forced me to follow Aurora through the chilling experiences, share in her grief and to cheer her on as she took steps (no pun intended) to remedy the wrongs in her life.

This book made me draw comparisons to the movie, Final Destination, while mixed with an episode of Ghost Hunters spliced with one of those 'beyond the grave' tele-series.

I loved the plot twists, the build up to the climax was perfectly paced and didn't gi
Maggie Myklebust
Nov 12, 2012 Maggie Myklebust rated it it was amazing
Soul's Child is in a word mesmerizing.
It grabs you within the first few sentences and keeps you on edge until the last word. Gray manages to weave a story full of mystery, betrayal and suspense and then wrap it all up into one riveting book.
She is able to remind the reader how powerful greed can be. Powerful enough to cause someone to turn on the only person they have left and exploit them for their own gain.
This story is a must-read full of twists and turns that will have you humming with exc
Susan Nairn
Oct 25, 2012 Susan Nairn rated it it was amazing
Once again, a great story teller telling a remarkable tale with a great twist of irony at the end. Love her writing!
Tiffany Loves Books
After a car accident that took her mother and sister from her, Aurora and her father Merv Jones were all that were left of the family. However, this accident not only gave Aurora the (gift or curse?) of precognitive dreams it also gave her the ability to sense her dead mother and sister. Merv recognizes what these dreams are and acts on them. By the third time he saves lives, his "gifts" as he has everyone believe, earn him a Hollywood career. At which point he has already lost himself to the fa ...more
Charissa
Mar 30, 2014 Charissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Crazy story about a girl who starts having consuming dreams after a horrific crash. Her father realizes her dreams tell the future and he uses them to save people who are meant to die in terrible accidents. But the power goes to his head and he becomes an egotistical Hollywood guru who starts scamming his television audiences to get rich off the paranormal he doesn’t understand. His daughter wants him to stop. She doesn’t know who he is anymore—he doesn’t seem to care for her definitely, only ...more
Dale
Jun 05, 2014 Dale rated it it was amazing
To quote Julius Sumner Miller, "why is this so?"... I turn the pages of Dianne Gray's novels and am absorbed into the story... In Soul's Child it feels like Aurora has transmuted into my self and what I'm feeling is appearing in words, narrating my events. A tale which may be ascribed as fiction but in reality emulates scenarios across the world where children's talents are being mined by their parents without the saving grace of Clive Soul's poetic justice.
Mary
Mar 13, 2013 Mary rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this - although I didn't think the ending was perfect (not enough for the fifth star at any rate). But a fast paced, action packed story none-the-less.
Rick Mallery
Rick Mallery rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2012
Prabhjot
Prabhjot marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2012
Elisa
Elisa marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2012
Dan. Thompson
Dan. Thompson marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2013
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Flo
Flo marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Mothernature
Mothernature marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Suze
Suze marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Isabella Norse
Isabella Norse marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Aussie Readers: Book trailers 10 21 Jul 15, 2014 08:58PM
I'm a writer and a dreamer. My latest short story was shortlisted in the top three of the 2016 Ruth Rendell Writing award, judged by Lynda La Plante. Some of my short stories have been published in Australian anthologies:

Harper Collins - "Enter"
Ginninderra Press - "The Lunatic, the Lover and the Poet"
Harlequin/MIRA press - "Scarlet Stiletto - The First Cut".

...and some of my novels have won award
More about Dianne F. Gray...