Start by marking “Futuredaze: An Anthology of YA Science Fiction (Futuredaze, #1)” as Want to Read:
Futuredaze: An Anthology of YA Science Fiction (Futuredaze, #1)

Futuredaze: An Anthology of YA Science Fiction (Futuredaze #1)

Futuredaze: An Anthology of YA Science Fiction includes 33 original short stories and poems that spark the imagination, twist the heart, and make us yearn for the possibilities of a world yet to come. Futuredaze includes pieces by Jack McDevitt, Nancy Holder, Gregory Frost, Lavie Tidhar, Sandra McDonald, Brittany Warman, Stephen Covey, E. Kristin Anderson, Alex Dally MacFa ...more
Published February 12th 2013 by Underwords Press (first published January 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Futuredaze, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Futuredaze

Sneakend
Jan 26, 2013 Sneakend rated it liked it
I wasn't actually sure whether I should give this book 3 or 4 stars, I rather wish I could give half stars! I did thoroughly enjoy reading this, I simply think I might be a bit too old already and the actual target group might like it even more.

Let me just start by saying that the cover of the book is absolutely gorgeous, and vain as it may be, sometimes I do want to own books simply based on how pretty they are! I've also never read science fiction poetry and since this book's got quite a lot o
Lynn
Feb 26, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed this collection of stories in a host of sub-genres: military tech, space opera, alien invasions and encounters, colonization, etc. And the stories are TRULY short - none longer than 10 pages making this a real delight to read. The poetry didn't do much for me and some stories better than others but all enjoyable. Wonderful for giving teens a taste of SF other than dystopian!
Steve Alguire
Feb 24, 2013 Steve Alguire added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Full disclosure; I have a story in this collection. But read it anyway. But have your security blanky nearby, because you will be scared. Prepare your eyebrows to meet the roots of your hair, because you will be amazed. Have the tissues ready, because you will cry. And laugh.
Out of a field of diamonds, in no particular order,my favourites were- 1)Leah Thomas's touching and beautiful 'Powerless'. I had dates this traumatic in my younger days, but none with such a wonderful ending. 2)Lavie Tidhar
Fantasy Literature
Apr 12, 2014 Fantasy Literature rated it it was ok
In their introduction to Futurdaze: An Anthology of YA Science Fiction, editors Hannah Strom-Martin and Erin Underwood offer up their motivation for the collection:

We hope to inject the short-fiction market . . . with an extra serving of undisguised wonder at the possibilities the future may hold [and] give the next generation of speculative readers and writers a taste . . . of the infinite possibilities inherent in both the science fiction genre and the short story form [and to] represent a wid
Fantasy Literature

Richard Jones
May 07, 2013 Richard Jones rated it liked it
Interesting collection of short SF fiction for young adult readers. Or for those of us readers who feel like they're too young to be considered old. Or something like that.

Some nice stories, but nothing seriously groundbreaking. For me, that is. For the younger readers who are only now being introduced to SF that's actually good as opposed to most of the ghosty vampire baloney sandwich that's out now. . . Totally different story. I think they're going to like this one.
Joanna
Sep 22, 2015 Joanna rated it liked it
Mostly a pretty good anthology. There's some solid worldbuilding in here, which is usually one of the things I find is lacking in YA. In the introduction, they talked about trying deliberately to pick diverse authors and stories with diverse main characters. In some spots, it felt like they were trying too hard.
H.M. Jones
Nov 05, 2013 H.M. Jones rated it it was amazing
Futuredaze is a compelling snapshot of some wonderfully talented authors and their fantastical, but believable worlds. I loved the distinct voices in each story, and was left wanting more of each world, which makes the short stories, in my book, successful. Read it!
Liz
Apr 14, 2013 Liz rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, 2013
Overall a good anthology. I definitely liked some stories better than others, but I think most readers will find something to enjoy in here.
Stephanie Parray
Stephanie Parray rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2014
Samantha Mohney
Samantha Mohney rated it really liked it
May 13, 2013
Elite Indie
Elite Indie rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2014
Cara Wynn-Jones
Cara Wynn-Jones rated it it was amazing
Nov 07, 2012
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2012
Alicia
Jan 26, 2013 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
JHG Hendriks
JHG Hendriks rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Ethan H
Ethan H rated it it was ok
Mar 07, 2013
Georgia  Smoochie Cuddlekins
Georgia Smoochie Cuddlekins rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2013
Jenni
Jenni rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2013
Jesse Kane
Jesse Kane rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2013
Danika Dinsmore
Nov 19, 2012 Danika Dinsmore rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Ed Biggs
Ed Biggs rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2012
Anna
Dec 10, 2012 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
katnick
katnick rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Jenny Blackford
Oct 02, 2015 Jenny Blackford rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
E. Anderson
Aug 15, 2012 E. Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Joan
Joan rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Cathryn
Cathryn rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2013
Alexander Falk
Alexander Falk rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2014
April Millwood
April Millwood rated it did not like it
Feb 03, 2013
Free Books, .99 &...: Futuredaze Giveaway - Deadline Feb 22 3 19 Feb 17, 2013 07:30AM
  • Interfictions: An Anthology of Interstitial Writing
  • The Other Half of the Sky
  • Diverse Energies
  • Severance (Linx, #2)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2014: Women Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • 3024AD: Short Stories Series One
  • Eternal Spring
  • Other Worlds Than These
  • Elements of the Undead Omnibus (Elements of The Undead #1-3)
  • Firebirds Soaring: An Anthology of Original Speculative Fiction
  • Feeling Very Strange: The Slipstream Anthology
  • Starseed
  • Redtooth
  • Fantasy Magazine, October 2014: Women Destroy Fantasy! Special Issue
  • Bordertown (Borderland, #2)
  • Glitter and Mayhem
  • After: Nineteen Stories of Apocalypse and Dystopia
  • Spirits Abroad
Erin M. Underwood, founder & publisher
Erin Underwood’s fiction, non-fiction, and interviews have appeared online and in print. She is the co-author of “The Bag of Holding,” a regular column published by the SFWA Bulletin. Erin is also the founder and editor of the popular fiction literary blog UNDERWORDS and co-edited the Pop Fic Review with Hannah Strom-Martin. She is a graduate of the Stonec
More about Erin Underwood...

Futuredaze (2 books)