Start by marking “Sub-Human (Post-Human, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sub-Human (Post-Human, #1)

Sub-Human (Post-Human #1)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  737 ratings  ·  84 reviews
Before he was Old-timer, he was Craig Emilson, a young doctor, sucked into military service at the outbreak of World War III. Enlisting to become a Special Forces suborbital paratrooper, Craig is selected to take part in the most important mission in American military history—a sortie into enemy territory to eliminate the world’s first strong Artificial Intelligence. The m ...more
Published August 14th 2012 by Post-Human Media

To ask other readers questions about Sub-Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sub-Human

Doc
On the one hand, Simpson's writing is reminiscent of Golden Age Science Fiction: the characters sometimes lack real depth, the plot can be somewhat simplistic, and the action may be predictable.

On the other hand, that's all largely not true. Sure, the characters may be a bit caricaturish or simplistic (like Golden Age): they go from not-surprisingly-suppressed passion/love to explosive passionate love (not erotic, just overwhelming/overblown). On the other hand, Simpson does a creditable job of
Michael
I found this book on Amaazon as a free download and didn't really expect much, it was free after all and I've had mostly poor experiences with free books. However, after reading this book cover to cover it was an absolute nugget picked out of a field of dirt.

The story is set in the far future during a battle between humans and AI. The main character followed throughout the story is Craig, a soldier fighting against the AI. I won't go into much more detail as to the plot and story but it's fair
Juan
What a promising start, too bad it ended up being a dud. The beginning is the only reason I'm giving it two instead of one stars.

I thought the first 3rd of the book was fantastic: excellent start, beginning of good character development, great plot twists. In short, a very original novel. But, soon as the next third of the book rolled around, the author only provided cliche after cliche. Really nothing original about the story.

Oh, and the pandering. I don't want to give anything away but let's
John Kearns
Reasons I hated this book:

1. The author holds people of faith in contempt. I don't have any personal animus against atheist authors in general. I've read almost all of Asimov's fiction, for example. But this book makes a point of ridiculing and demonizing people of faith.

2. Bad Research - Military: The main character is a US Air Force Captain, by virtue of being a medical doctor. Early in the book, just prior to beginning a mission, he meets the mission leader, who has the rank of Commander. The
Glen Deshaw
Very well written, highly imaginative yarn. The author is doing some brilliant marketing by building a reader base with free downloads of very marketable material! I am truly looking forward to the next book in the series!
Don
I really enjoyed Sub-Human. The plot moves very quickly for a novel that relies on some wild ideas and Simpson explains the science very deftly without slowing the action. I had already read the other two in the series and had found them a tad fanciful, but this one doesn't exceed believability. Now that the beginning of the tale has been written, I think readers will enjoy the next book, Post-Human a lot more. Editing was superb as I only saw a couple typos. I breezed through this novel in two ...more
Wayne
Awesome prequel to the Post-Human series. This trilogy is so well written that you really get to know the characters, while getting a sense of immersion into the story. With our current evolution of technology, one has to wonder what will humans become in the not so distant future.
Reynolds S
A real page-turner of a book. I could not put it down. It has a good plot that flows well. It explores the area of evolution and how humans evolve. with or without outside help. I can not wait to read the other 2 books in this series.
Jonathan Kittrell

This book was so good! I don't think I've read a science fiction book this good since Ender's Game! I can't wait to start the second book!
David Donaghe
Sun- Human by David Simpson is science fiction at its best. It was an page turner that I highly recommend.
Jeff Love
the prequal to the post human story did a good job of telling the story of how the post human age began.
Jeff Smith
Excellent book. Very well written. Original. Can't wait to read the other books.
Leonardo
Damn you david simpson why don't you publish more books!?
Jonny Amalgamated
The Titanic?
9/11?!

Really???

>_<
Jack

This book is remarkable. I have never cursed so much in my life. I can't think of any book that has effected me so strongly, that I wanted to hurl my tablet at the wall, and then set it on fire with petroleum, to cleanses it from the taint of this book. Sub-Human kept me awake all night with the fear that in this life time or in the next I might cross paths with another book like Sub-Human. No words can really quite describe how terrible this book is. David Simpson is really one of a kind author
Laura of Lurking
This is the novel I've chosen to read first in this series.

I was impressed with the quick snap of the action, while still allowing time for relationships to blossom and for the reader to learn to care for the cast. The chapters are short, making the book seem to read faster. It made it easy to grab "just one more chapter" (ok, so maybe it was 5) before doing work.

At first I was slightly confused as to which side of the war wanted what, in hindsight I feel this was the intention. In a couple of
Mark
Meh. I enjoyed the first two as somewhat original story lines. I'm not sure this one is really the same author. While the first two aren't great writing they aren't written as badly as this one. It's almost like this book is a farce. Sending a Special Ops trained doctor back to major tragedies in our history (Titanic, 9/11) and having him act like an overacting soap opera character is ridiculous.

The first two books presented an interesting, if not completely well articulated, "what-if" story. A
Spiro
The constant references to faith and God I could cope with until one character who stated he didn't believe in God is in a bad situation and still fell back to superstition. Really?

Then when Craig enters a parallel universe, he ends up on the Titanic, and insists on saving it while the people who have seen him think he's a demon.. blah blah god blah, demons and devils blah.

I really dislike when writers are so unimaginative that they have to reference current and recent era events, as if nothing
Justin Crosby
Nice quick single-sitting read. It utilizes the concepts of AI and nanobots well and has a fair amount of well-written action. Some wobbly bits but overall good pacing. Some characterization was a bit heavy-handed, but not extravagantly so. Will be starting the next one now.

Some of the other reviews have some fairly ridiculous complaints. Religious extremism exists, Luddites exist, demonizing the opposition CERTAINLY exists, misuse of technology and over-extension of the same exist. I think he m
LadyCroft86
I really liked this book. The characters were great, the action was pretty much non-stop and the plot was great. I haven't read any of the other books, so I don't know anything about the characters yet other than what was in this book, so I am excited to read the next books in the series. I really liked Craig as a character, although he seemed a little unemotional in parts where he should've been freaking out. The time travel aspect was interesting, I am not a big fan of time travel, but this wa ...more
Lee Parry
I enjoyed the book for the most part -- it was somewhat reminiscent of the Deus Ex video game series, and I enjoyed the overall plot. One part in particular, however, which struck me as a bit distasteful, was [SPOILERS] the lead character's apprehension of and attack on a 9/11 hijacker. Aside from this, I found Dr. Aldous Gibson's name a little bit too of an on-the-nose reference to authors that have obviously inspired Mr. Simpson! The technology was enjoyable and well explained, the AI was a su ...more
Xander
I found this book by happenstance, it was mentioned on a site I visit and I followed up. The synopsis looked interesting so I purchased it and started to read, unfortunately the book just wasn't up to my liking. Unlike some other reviewers I'm not going to tear the author apart it takes a lot of work and effort to write and publish something. Instead I'm just going to provide feedback.

My first issue is with the one dimensional nature of the characters. Starting with the main antagonist Colonel P
Ninja
A little pulpy, but highly readable and engaging.
Ryne
A good science fiction adventure that excels at equally portraying both sides in the conflict of human evolution. No character is truly good or evil, though most are antagonistic towards the main character. There's a small bit involving time travel and alternate universes that was kind of pointless, but I'm not a huge fan of time travel stories apart from BTTF. I am intrigued to see how it factors into the following two books which I believe were written prior to it.
Benjaminivor
This book was ok scifi but I'd say that the author could have done better. He should have put more time into developing the characters, tech, and science instead of trying to just hit every hot idea possible in a short book. You really can't jump from action scene to action scene without developing the point or offering some insight into what all the new scientific/technology developments actually mean to the protagonist or humanity at large.
Rollie Reid
The first of the Post-Human Books, and probably the least successful. The plot line is more than a little forced, and there is not enough real drama. The author's prose style is very basic, and occassionally a little clumsy. You won't be quoting any lines from this one.

I believe that the biggest problem with this one is that it had to fit into what the author had already written. The science is okay, and it hangs together well enough, but it didn't really grab me. The villains are a little to ob
Edmund de Wight
This is a fun read. While not the first book in the order the author wrote them, it's the first book in the sequence of events in the series.
I'm glad I got it knowing that, while I don't mind later flashback books, I really like an interconnected series of books to go in order.
The world of the future is pretty bleak. War, power mad politicians, corruption - wait, is this the future or this week?...but I kid.
But seriously it's a very dark world that begins this tale. Our hero is somewhat naive a
Amy
I thoroughly enjoyed Sub-Human. The story was engrossing and I liked most of the characters. I liked the "Planck" idea, but I didn't like the "events" portions. It made the overall story melodramatic. I'm looking forward to the next book.
Giovanni Ranzo
The first book of the Post-Human series, it sets the action in motion.
And, I have to say, does it in a very interesting way; the story is well written, makes you want to go further and see how the situation develops.
As a first book, and a sort of prequel, as far as I see, to the main story, made me think I will read the other parts too.
Not five stars but four, just because I still see the story as a little bit too dystopian (horrible future with total war etc.); I think though that the atmospher
Matthewcbyrnegmail.com
When the kind of annoying main character went into the parallel universe he ended up on the titanic, and decided he should try to save it from sinking. I stopped reading right there.
Apocalypse Whenever: Free on Kindle: Human Books by David Simpson 3 37 May 27, 2013 10:21AM
  • Memoria. A Corporation of Lies
  • Coding Isis
  • Believe (Rules, #1)
  • The Saving Mars Series Books 1-3
  • Merlin's Mirror
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 4: Frontline (Spinward Fringe, #4)
  • The Ruins Of Mars
  • The Honour of the Knights
  • Beasts of the Walking City (Walking Cities #1)
  • America One (America One, #1)
  • The Reborn (the Day Eight Series Part 1)
  • Stars Rain Down (Biotech Legacy, #1)
  • Seer of Mars (Vallar, #1)
  • Rosetta (Jim Meade, Martian P.I. #1)
Amazon, just like the University of Toronto’s Academic Bridging program, gave me the opportunity I needed to prove myself. Because of them, a runaway who had to sleep in a shopping cart at sixteen, a high-school dropout with seemingly no prospects, went on to live in the best city in the world, meet the best woman in the world and marry her, attain two degrees from one of the top forty universitie ...more
More about David Simpson...
Post-Human (Post-Human, #2) Trans-Human (Post-Human, #3) Post-Human Series Books 1-4 Human Plus (Post-Human, #4) Inhuman (Post-Human, #5)