Botanicaust
read excerpt* *Different edition

Botanicaust

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Awesome Indies Approved!

The only crop left ... is human.

After genetically altered weeds devastate Earth's crop lands, Dr. Tula Macoby believes photosynthetic skin can save the human race, and her people single-mindedly embark on a mission to convert the cannibals roaming what's left of Earth. But when Levi, a peaceful stranger, refuses alteration, Tula doesn't think the o...more
Published August 2012 by Tam Linsey

Kiss of the Betrayer by Boone BruxHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickShield of Fire by Boone BruxTouched by the Magic by Maxine MansfieldSilence by Becca Fitzpatrick
Gorgeous Book Covers
23rd out of 370 books — 235 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodA Different Alchemy by Chris DietzelDivergent by Veronica RothCatching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Futuristic Dystopias
9th out of 52 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

Midu Hadi
Jillyenator
This story actually isn't about cannibalism. It's a little misleading to suggest that is a main point of the plot. It's more of a solid science fiction dystopian tale of various social groups, and how they get by after humanity destroys the ecosystem.

Some of the groups eat people. Some turned to photosynthesis. Some became, essentially, Amish...and some others have turned to science in a way I won't spoil here. :-)

I found the different societies and mores very interesting, and thought this was a...more
Lizbeth Selvig
This book is haunting, beautiful, creative and unique. Tam Linsey has created an all-too-plausible future world where the Earth has been overrun and all-but-destroyed by an invasive, inedible plant species. Only scattered sects of the Old Order have managed to isolate themselves enough to have plentiful food. For most of the humans left to fend for life in the dangerous world, all that's available to them for food is each other. Cannibalism is the way of life in the open land.

One other group of...more
Edward Hoornaert
With independently published books, you never know what you're going to get. With Botanicaust, you get a professional-level product all the way around. Professional presentation. Professional editing. Professional story. Professional writing. This book is a keeper, and I look forward to more from Tam Linsey. She's a writer to watch for.

Set in a dystopian future, isolated groups have adapted to environmental collapse in different ways. One group, the Amish, have adapted by maintaining a close-kni...more
Pavarti Tyler
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book as a part of Tam Linsey’s book tour with Orangeberry Book Tours. No promise of a positive review was made.

Review: Everything about this book made me want to read it. From the cover to the description to the epically awesome concept. And I wasn’t disappointed!

This is a book with genetic manipulation and Amish set in a post apocalyptic world? Oh and the 9th word is CANNIBAL. It’s like it was written with me in mind. The main character, Tula, is an idealis...more
Mallory Anne-Marie
Review of Botanicaust

Reviewed for Lovers of Paranormal Goodreads Group

I just want to say “Wow-what a job of world-building”-it really stretched my imagination, plus the novel is a very enjoyable read. Set some distance into the future, four centuries after the “botanicaust,” in which the world’s total crop output is destroyed, by manmade mistakes including pesticides, leaving only a plant that is toxic, and a few other scattered types of plant life. By genetic modification, a species of modified...more
Melissa ( Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf)
I have not read many self published books this year, but I am so glad that I gave Tam Linsey’s Botanicaust a shot. The writing and editing are flawless…which sadly can’t be said for all self published books. Beyond that though…this is simply a fantastic story. The premise is incredibly unique and refreshing while still managing to fall within the currently very popular “Dystopian” umbrella. (I use the term Dystopian very lightly here as the term has grown beyond it’s true definition to encompass...more
Leanne Herrera

Well I certainly have a better understanding of the world after Botanicaust since reading the book and the short did indeed make much more sense once I got really into it. In this novel we follow Tula, a doctor that works with cannibals. She prepares them for conversion; if they fail to want or be appropriate for conversion to a plant-like person they are euthanized I do not think any of the factions involved in the plot are correct in the way they deal with life.

First you have the Halladanian-...more
Ashley
This book was provided to me for free in exchange for an honest review.

I was immediately sucked into the basic premise of this book. It's set in a post apocalyptic world where you have 3 types of people; Blattvolk (basically have plant skin and can convert sunlight into energy), cannibals, and the immortals. The Blattvolk are on a mission to either convert or eradicate the cannibals. The heroine of this story is a converted Blattvolk named Tula. Their society is very open and very casual about s...more
Claire
Sep 02, 2012 Claire rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone
This was a great read. I never wanted to put it down. (And if I didn't have little ones, I wouldn't have!)

After crops are wiped out by the Botanicaust, four different groups of people strive in their own way for survival. Blattvolk, who convert outsiders using genetic therapy against their will or no. Cannibals, who don't waste any food, and by food I mean meat lol. Fosselites, scientists who hide away from sunlight due to the effects of having the secrets to eternal life. The Old Order, who beh...more
Paul
My first regret is that I read this on a computer screen at work during intermitent pauses.
I regret not being able to give it the full attention it deserved.

This is an excellent story and a novel look at a post-apocaliptic earth.

People remain people... wether they be the god-worshiping amish-like group... the vampire-like ones... the cannibals... or the green-skinned "plant-people".

The "Botanicaust" has changed everyone and everything.

The only true survivors are those that remain human despite t...more
M.A. Robbins
The kind of book I really enjoy. It's an easy read, has great three-dimensional characters I identified with, a unique premise, and intriguing world-building. I tend to be able to predict plot twists and turns in many books. Not in this one. Tam left breadcrumbs that didn't broadcast future events, but which you'd remember later on and think, "Oh, that makes sense."
I'm going to get her short story Taking the Knife next and keep an eye out for her future books.
Laura of Lurking
This review was originally posted at

I was lucky enough to be offered an eARC of the second novel in the Botanicaust series, called Doomseeds. The author, Tam Linsey, also gave me a copy of the first novel so I could better judge the series. The review of that novel is to come shortly, however I wanted to give a review to this promising novel in its own right.

The first thing that hit me with this novel was the extensive world building right from the first page. A world barren of life as we know...more
Amanda Dover
This book was unique and refreshing. It was nothing like your typical apocalypse books, rather, it had an original plot full of.twists and turns. The characters were very well developed and I found myself very attached to them and their plight. I only hope that there will be a sequel as I desperately want to know what happens with Tula, Levi, and the New Order!
Elizabeth
Botanicaust was a unique, very imaginative read. I’ve never read anything like it.
Cannibals, plant people, Amish. I would say this book is very much science fiction and lovers of that genre will like this book. I thought it was good, but I didn’t fall in love with the characters. The world that was built was very creative, but it took a while for it to all come together for me. I very much appreciated the glossary at the end. I would have liked to see more back story and clearer explanation of...more
Shannon
When Levi’s son is stricken with a respiratory disease (cystic fibrosis I think) he risks everything by leaving his Amish like existence and venturing into the outside world where cannibals run rampant and survival is harsh. Levi lives in a post-apocalyptic world where all vegetation had died or became poisonous and humanity has resorted to cannibalism. Dr. Tula Macoby works converting former cannibals into photosynthesis humans who can live on sunlight (like plants) by absorbing it into their s...more
Amy
Tam Linsey weaves an amazing Dystopia novel that draws you in and holds you captive until the very end. As much as the story is about Dystropia, it also about love, hope, understanding and what it takes to have all three.
There are four types of people left on Earth; Blattvolks, they have green skin for photosynthesis, Fosselites, immortal people with medical knowledge, Cannibals, they waste NOTHING, and Amish, who live in the old ways.
Levi’s son Joseph is sick, he has Cystic Fibrosis and he wan...more
Paula
Dec 07, 2012 Paula rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: r2r
R2R: Botanicaust

(I received a free copy, for a review)

Earth comes to a halt, when a genetically altered weed destroys what humans need, food. This leads the human race into distinct categories; first cannibals, second photosynthesized people, third old world human and then everyone else. When Levi, an old world human, goes out on his own, to try and find some cure, for his ailing son, he is captured by these photosynthesized people, who's main mission is trying to convert cannibals into them. Dr...more
Marlene
What an awesome story! I found this book when Tam participated in my blog promotion for other writers. The cover practically threw the book into my lap, and the blurb clinched the deal. I loved the idea of turning people into plants. Photosynthesis is so efficient!

As I read the book, I often found myself shaking my head, amazed at how good it was. The story is original, tense, and so well-written, I challenge anyone to find something to complain about.

I always look for great characters when I r...more
Paul
I regret not being able to give it the full attention it deserved.

This is an excellent story and a novel look at a post-apocaliptic earth.

The "Botanicaust" has changed everyone and everything.

The only true survivors are those that remain human despite t...more
Patricia
Overall this book was a really good read. I loved the creation of a whole other world where people who have the same origin became separate species. The presentation of characters of all different species let the readers see each species as imperfect and see that each group has both good and bad.

(view spoiler)...more
Maxine Mansfield
I don't normally read scifi but, I absolutely loved Botanicaust. Tam Linsey has a way of telling a very believable Dystopia scenario that kept me turning page after page. I couldn't put this book drown from the opening of page 1 until after The End. This book has everything you look for in a really good story, and then some. Action, adventure, good guys, bad guys, high points and low. It even has just enough romance to placate pesky romantics like me, and, it even has...gulp..canables. Loved it,...more
Karen
I was actually very pleasantly surprised with Botanicaust's professional writing and eerie storyline. I won this book in one of my groups and knew I wanted to read but didn't realize I would like it as much as I did. There were moments in there where I felt the story dragged a bit, and I thought the ending snuck up and "ended" a bit too quickly. I did enjoy where the story left off however, and would love to explore more of this unique world and characters.
Toni
I dont read scfi.. but this was a really good book! Tam Linsey built a world of cannibals, plant people, immortal scientists, and normal people! The story was easy flowing and the characters were well developed. Each group had there good guys and bad guys! it was filled with action and love and lots of God Will! Fighting to find where they belong, they must find who the real enemies are! I would recommend this book to anyone looking for a great read!
Cyma Khan
Very well written. Characters you can empathize and connect with and a gripping plot. A unique post apocalyptic scenario indeed! I really enjoying reading it. Isn't that what you love about books? That you are able to stick with it and keep going? So yes I thought that's what Botanicaust was like. I could imagine green people in my head lol I would definitely read more from Tam Linsey.
April Alvey
All I Can Say Is Wow This Book Had Me On My Toes Toxic Plants New Breed Of Humans Wow This Book Is Amazing. Its Set In The Future And Mutant Toxic Plant Life. All I Can Say Is Wow It Is A Must Read. I Cant Wait For The Next Book.
Boone Brux
A fantastic dystopic world, rich with colorful groups of people and heart-pounding excitement. My fingers are crossed for a sequel set in this enthralling world.
Kriss
adding this to best books of 2012! what a great find! well she found me. review coming soon. till then go and get it and read!!
LauraJ

By chapter 9 my thoughts were:

History:
-I wish there was more of a back story for how the Earth was destroyed.
-If plants can grow, why not farm healthy non-toxic plants as they do in the Old Order?
-If humans survived, why not other animals? If there are surviving animals (which there seems to be in a place or two) where are there dens? How did they reproduce? How many are there?
-It doesn't seem like all plants turned poisonous, there are just new poisonous plants. couldn't they have saved seeds s...more
Adrianne
(Not done)

This is such an interesting book. The concept was so fresh. The cannibals, photosynthesized people (creeped me out a bit) and everyone else was pretty awesome. The book was kind of making a statement like "don't mess with me bitch -said the plant" and showcases the what ifs of science.
  • The Complete Knifepoint Horror
  • Transition (Chimera Hunters, #1)
  • After The Virus
  • Since Tomorrow
  • Blood Heavy (Blood Heavy, #1)
  • The Eden Project: Humanity's Last Chance
  • Bayou Myth
  • Dismember
  • Anomaly (The New Haven Project, #1)
  • Eden
  • After The Fires Went Out: Coyote (After The Fires Went Out, #1)
  • The Rancher and the Rock Star
  • Who is Audrey Wickersham?
  • Public Enemy Zero
  • Hotblood (House of Slide, #1)
  • Piercing the Fold (Piercing the Fold, #1)
  • The Awakening (Bloodlines, #1)
  • Dark Earth
Tam was the kid who took AP Chemistry and AP Biology her Senior year of High School. After winning a scholarship to a DOE camp at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, touring the superconducting supercollider, and karyotyping DNA from the HIV virus, she came to realize if she pursued biomedical engineering, she might never see the outside of a lab again.

Consequently, she earned a Bachelor of Science in E...more
More about Tam Linsey...
Taking the Knife (Botanicaust) Doomseeds You Can Eat This 22 Gluten Free Comfort Recipes You Can Eat This! 22 Gluten Free Comfort Recipes You Can Eat This! Gluten Free Italian Recipes