Start by marking “Botanicaust” as Want to Read:
read excerpt* *Different edition

Botanicaust

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  155 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Awesome Indies Approved!

The only crop left ... is human.

After genetically altered weeds devastate Earth's crop lands, Dr. Tula Macoby believes photosynthetic skin can save the human race, and her people single-mindedly embark on a mission to convert the cannibals roaming what's left of Earth. But when Levi, a peaceful stranger, refuses alteration, Tula doesn't think the o
Published August 2012 by Tam Linsey

To ask other readers questions about Botanicaust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Botanicaust

Kiss of the Betrayer by Boone BruxHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickShield of Fire by Boone BruxTouched by the Magic by Maxine MansfieldSilence by Becca Fitzpatrick
Gorgeous Book Covers
26th out of 368 books — 256 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Handmaid's Tale by Margaret AtwoodA Different Alchemy by Chris DietzelDivergent by Veronica RothCatching Fire by Suzanne Collins
Futuristic Dystopias
9th out of 54 books — 39 voters

More lists with this book...

Bark's Book Nonsense
I read Botanicaust in its audiobook version and, to be honest, it took all of my concentration to get into it in the very beginning because the concepts described in this new world were so overwhelming foreign for me. I’m used to the more horrific side of the apocalypse but this one is pretty firmly steeped in the realm of science fiction.

An event coined the “Botanicaust” happened which basically wiped out all edible crops. Yeah. That’s no good. The survivors have morphed into a few different g
Midu Hadi
Jillyenator
This story actually isn't about cannibalism. It's a little misleading to suggest that is a main point of the plot. It's more of a solid science fiction dystopian tale of various social groups, and how they get by after humanity destroys the ecosystem.

Some of the groups eat people. Some turned to photosynthesis. Some became, essentially, Amish...and some others have turned to science in a way I won't spoil here. :-)

I found the different societies and mores very interesting, and thought this was a
Lizbeth Selvig
This book is haunting, beautiful, creative and unique. Tam Linsey has created an all-too-plausible future world where the Earth has been overrun and all-but-destroyed by an invasive, inedible plant species. Only scattered sects of the Old Order have managed to isolate themselves enough to have plentiful food. For most of the humans left to fend for life in the dangerous world, all that's available to them for food is each other. Cannibalism is the way of life in the open land.

One other group of
Melissa ( Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf)
I have not read many self published books this year, but I am so glad that I gave Tam Linsey’s Botanicaust a shot. The writing and editing are flawless…which sadly can’t be said for all self published books. Beyond that though…this is simply a fantastic story. The premise is incredibly unique and refreshing while still managing to fall within the currently very popular “Dystopian” umbrella. (I use the term Dystopian very lightly here as the term has grown beyond it’s true definition to encompass ...more
John
Picked it up thinking it would be a cheesy so-bad-its-good sci fi read, but it turned out to be a good story. It is hard to come up with any truly original post apocalyptic story and certainly pieces of this world exist in other places, but they come together to make an engaging read.
Carol Kean
Dystopia, apocalypse, hubris: just when I think I've seen it all, someone comes up with a fresh twist on familiar themes and archetypes. Botanicaust is thought provoking and intriguing; full of conflict, tension, sex appeal and longing. Humans genetically engineered for photosynthesis? It sounds ridiculous--cold-blooded reptiles, MAYBE, I could believe--but I love it!

The cover and the synopsis, along with the author bio, had me so excited, I bumped this novel to the top of my queue, even though
Haley B
Jun 22, 2014 Haley B rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I LOVED this book. Of all the books I've read during this past year, this one sticks out as the best.

I quickly fell in love with the world. The author is very meticulous about world-building, and I was fascinated by the science behind all of it. That's by far the best part of this book; if you like science fiction, and you like immersing yourself in a new version of the world - this is your book.

The two main characters are fully developed. I loved Tula and Levi (though I was considerably less ho
Edward Hoornaert
With independently published books, you never know what you're going to get. With Botanicaust, you get a professional-level product all the way around. Professional presentation. Professional editing. Professional story. Professional writing. This book is a keeper, and I look forward to more from Tam Linsey. She's a writer to watch for.

Set in a dystopian future, isolated groups have adapted to environmental collapse in different ways. One group, the Amish, have adapted by maintaining a close-kni
Pavarti Tyler
Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book as a part of Tam Linsey’s book tour with Orangeberry Book Tours. No promise of a positive review was made.

Review: Everything about this book made me want to read it. From the cover to the description to the epically awesome concept. And I wasn’t disappointed!

This is a book with genetic manipulation and Amish set in a post apocalyptic world? Oh and the 9th word is CANNIBAL. It’s like it was written with me in mind. The main character, Tula, is an idealis
Mallory Heart Reviews
Aug 28, 2012 Mallory Heart Reviews rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mallory Heart by: Lovers of Paranormal
Review of Botanicaust

Reviewed for Lovers of Paranormal Goodreads Group

I just want to say “Wow-what a job of world-building”-it really stretched my imagination, plus the novel is a very enjoyable read. Set some distance into the future, four centuries after the “botanicaust,” in which the world’s total crop output is destroyed, by manmade mistakes including pesticides, leaving only a plant that is toxic, and a few other scattered types of plant life. By genetic modification, a species of modified
Leanne Herrera

Well I certainly have a better understanding of the world after Botanicaust since reading the book and the short did indeed make much more sense once I got really into it. In this novel we follow Tula, a doctor that works with cannibals. She prepares them for conversion; if they fail to want or be appropriate for conversion to a plant-like person they are euthanized I do not think any of the factions involved in the plot are correct in the way they deal with life.

First you have the Halladanian-
Ashley
This book was provided to me for free in exchange for an honest review.

I was immediately sucked into the basic premise of this book. It's set in a post apocalyptic world where you have 3 types of people; Blattvolk (basically have plant skin and can convert sunlight into energy), cannibals, and the immortals. The Blattvolk are on a mission to either convert or eradicate the cannibals. The heroine of this story is a converted Blattvolk named Tula. Their society is very open and very casual about s
Elaine Plourde
This was a very strange but interesting book. It dealt with racism,religion and ecology. I almost stopped reading it at the beginning when it started talking about green people but when it was explained it turned out to be an excellent story. I know I'll enjoy other books by this author and if your a sci-fi reader I,m sure you,ll enjoy it.
Claire
Sep 22, 2014 Claire rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This was a great read. I never wanted to put it down. (And if I didn't have little ones, I wouldn't have!)

After crops are wiped out by the Botanicaust, four different groups of people strive in their own way for survival. Blattvolk, who convert outsiders using genetic therapy against their will or no. Cannibals, who don't waste any food, and by food I mean meat lol. Fosselites, scientists who hide away from sunlight due to the effects of having the secrets to eternal life. The Old Order, who beh
Paul
My first regret is that I read this on a computer screen at work during intermitent pauses.
I regret not being able to give it the full attention it deserved.

This is an excellent story and a novel look at a post-apocaliptic earth.

People remain people... wether they be the god-worshiping amish-like group... the vampire-like ones... the cannibals... or the green-skinned "plant-people".

The "Botanicaust" has changed everyone and everything.

The only true survivors are those that remain human despite t
AudioBookReviewer
ABR's full Botanicaust audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Botanicaust what a title, dredging up so many ideas in my head. A botanic holocaust? What could that entail? So many questions running around in my head.

Tam Linsey set out to create a unique world where the Earth was decimated by plants, of all things. Destroying anything resembling a society that I am familiar with. This, I am assuming, is set in the far future, after the devastation and humans have reconstructed.

Leaving
M.A. Robbins
The kind of book I really enjoy. It's an easy read, has great three-dimensional characters I identified with, a unique premise, and intriguing world-building. I tend to be able to predict plot twists and turns in many books. Not in this one. Tam left breadcrumbs that didn't broadcast future events, but which you'd remember later on and think, "Oh, that makes sense."
I'm going to get her short story Taking the Knife next and keep an eye out for her future books.
Laura of Lurking
This review was originally posted at

I was lucky enough to be offered an eARC of the second novel in the Botanicaust series, called Doomseeds. The author, Tam Linsey, also gave me a copy of the first novel so I could better judge the series. The review of that novel is to come shortly, however I wanted to give a review to this promising novel in its own right.

The first thing that hit me with this novel was the extensive world building right from the first page. A world barren of life as we know
Jen Blackham
I subscribe to a number of free/deal email lists for Kindle and when this book came across as free, I thought it looked interesting enough to pick it up. As I finished a read and needed something else, it was there at the top of my library, so I figured I'd give it a try.

For some reason, I missed the prologue ... I don't think that really impacted me at all though.

The book was a little hard to get into, such a different world, some difficult names/language to master and understand. The writing
Amanda Dover
This book was unique and refreshing. It was nothing like your typical apocalypse books, rather, it had an original plot full of.twists and turns. The characters were very well developed and I found myself very attached to them and their plight. I only hope that there will be a sequel as I desperately want to know what happens with Tula, Levi, and the New Order!
Vincent
I was very cautious about this novel, both because it is self-published and because religion is a subject. I'm very glad I read it. This is not a religious book; it is a book about religious people, and non-religious people. It is a book about dogmatists, both religious and otherwise, and those who are less fanatical/disciplined (depending upon your point of view). This is a book about how those who survive a cataclysmic event find their way through religion, science, or other means.

It is a very
Lyn
This book details an intricately drawn dystopian society. I thought it was an unique tale and a possibly plausible response to the disaster. I would recommend reading the glossary first or referring to it frequently. As soon as I finished the first book I downloaded the second, Doomseeds. I like the fact that while a series, neither book ended on a cliff hanger. Instead both books' had endings that made me want to know more about this strange world that had emerged after the botanicaust and what ...more
Jackie
At first, I was like great this is a SciFi it will have no moral value and be so far out in left field it would be impossible to listen to little on read. I am the first to admit when I wrong and I was so wrong. This story has Christian values and morals it was a amazing story.

The narrator is a very talented lady by the name of Meghan Kelly. She has so much untapped talent and you can hear it along with her passion for a good story. This is a narrator who will last for years and I am comfortable
S. K. Pentecost
For all of the little Fred Savages out there, I'm sorry, this is a kissing book. But even if that's not your bag, Tam Linsey has written a solid sci-fi book you will dig. While I am one of those little Fred Savages, who tends to blush a lot like I imagine Linsey's male lead would if he read such things, this book offers so much more than kissing. It offers a richly imagined world populated with strange new peoples. It offers well developed characters and fast paced action. It offers people you w ...more
Natasa
I absolutely loved this book! Can't wait to read the next part of this series.
sh(e)reader
I like post-apocalyptic reads ... this was a new approach, not the usual zombies/virus (genetically altered plants take over, wiping out other vegetation. Quote from the book "There are always costs when man alters nature, his own or the world around him").

While the blurb does seem to feature the Cannibals, out of the four groups (Blattvolk/plant people, Old Order and Fosselites are the others) the cannibals are the group, we as the reader, learn about the least.

I downloaded this and started r
Elizabeth
Botanicaust was a unique, very imaginative read. I’ve never read anything like it.
Cannibals, plant people, Amish. I would say this book is very much science fiction and lovers of that genre will like this book. I thought it was good, but I didn’t fall in love with the characters. The world that was built was very creative, but it took a while for it to all come together for me. I very much appreciated the glossary at the end. I would have liked to see more back story and clearer explanation of
Shannon
When Levi’s son is stricken with a respiratory disease (cystic fibrosis I think) he risks everything by leaving his Amish like existence and venturing into the outside world where cannibals run rampant and survival is harsh. Levi lives in a post-apocalyptic world where all vegetation had died or became poisonous and humanity has resorted to cannibalism. Dr. Tula Macoby works converting former cannibals into photosynthesis humans who can live on sunlight (like plants) by absorbing it into their s ...more
Amy
Tam Linsey weaves an amazing Dystopia novel that draws you in and holds you captive until the very end. As much as the story is about Dystropia, it also about love, hope, understanding and what it takes to have all three.
There are four types of people left on Earth; Blattvolks, they have green skin for photosynthesis, Fosselites, immortal people with medical knowledge, Cannibals, they waste NOTHING, and Amish, who live in the old ways.
Levi’s son Joseph is sick, he has Cystic Fibrosis and he wan
Audiobooks: Free Audiobook Giveaway 5 64 Nov 16, 2014 01:41PM
Audiobooks: Botanicaust- Apocolyptic Sci-Fi Free Book for review!! 2 16 Nov 14, 2014 02:54PM
Apocalypse Whenever: Free Audiobook Giveaway 2 13 Nov 12, 2014 01:18PM
Future Survivors,...: Free Audiobook Giveaway 2 6 Nov 12, 2014 01:18PM
Paranormal and Ho...: Free Audiobook Giveaway 2 7 Nov 12, 2014 01:17PM
99 cent Bestsellers: Post apocalyptic Romance 1 7 May 31, 2014 03:50PM
  • Ametsapolis Rising
  • Eden
  • Touched by the Magic (The Academy Series #1)
  • Tankbread (Tankbread, #1)
  • Out of Darkness (The Starborn Saga, #1)
  • Artificial Evil (The Techxorcist, #1)
  • 2020 Season 1 The Thrilling Post-Apocalyptic Series
  • Planet Urth (Planet Urth, #1)
  • The Passenger (A Surviving the Dead Novel)
  • Sleepers
  • Awakening (Children of the After, #1)
  • Sunset Rising (Sunset Rising, #1)
  • Breakers (Breakers, #1)
  • Delirium (Debt Collector,  #1)
  • The Game (The Game is Life #1)
  • Windigo Soul
  • Deep Dark (Silo 49, #2)
  • Migrators
Tam was the kid who took AP Chemistry and AP Biology her Senior year of High School. After winning a scholarship to a DOE camp at Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, touring the superconducting supercollider, and karyotyping DNA from the HIV virus, she came to realize if she pursued biomedical engineering, she might never see the outside of a lab again.

Consequently, she earned a Bachelor of Science in E
More about Tam Linsey...
Doomseeds Taking the Knife (Botanicaust) The Reaping Room You Can Eat This 22 Gluten Free Comfort Recipes You Can Eat This! Gluten Free Italian Recipes

“There are always costs when man alters nature, his own or the world around him.” 2 likes
“Perhaps there was no God. God was a creation of man, not the other way around.” 0 likes