Who's Hiding?

Who's Hiding?

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Who s hiding? Who s crying? Who s backwards? Look carefully! Is it dog, tiger, hippo, zebra, bear, reindeer, kangaroo, lion, rabbit, giraffe, monkey, bull, rhino, pig, sheep, hen, elephant, or cat? Can you tell? Look again...18 fun-loving animals can be found on each question-posing page, sending readers into an up-close, attention-to-detail discovery.
Hardcover
Published December 1st 2007 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Who's Hiding?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who's Hiding?

Meghan
This book seems simple at first but it has proven to be hours of entertainment and discussion with the boys. This is also one of the first books that JT tried "reading" although most of it was memorization based on the illustrations. The concept is simple; the same animals appear on each page but with each page you have to identify which animal is doing the action (hiding, backwards, is angry).
I'd suggest this one for the 2 and up crowd. This is definitely a good gift book.
Sondra Santos
How can you not LOVE this book. At first, it seems so simple but after recognizing the animals by name, the concepts of color, front vs. back, and emotions become involved. There is an Answer Key in the back but most little ones will be able to discover this book and enjoy it on their own, trying to find the animal(s) that are hiding, crying, angry, or backwards.

It's available in Spanish now so I'm beginning to introduce this new language to my son, one tail at a time.

Vivian
I've used this book in story time before but the children love it every time. This reading we focused mostly on the kangaroo.

Each double-page spread features all the animals introduced on the cover in the exact same order. The only thing that changes is the question at the top of the page, the background color of the page, and the randomly forward or backward position of the animals. Every other page the question is "who's hiding?"
Libby
I had never heard of this one before one of the kids found it on the library shelves--the premise is there are about 24 animals on every spread (same animals, in the same order each time), but the different colored backgrounds (no outlines for the animals) mean that some animals are "hiding" on each page. There are also pages where you have to find who's sad, angry, backward...great pre-Where's Waldo type book, and we all had fun with it.
Stephanie
We checked this book out at the library for my 3 year old daughter. She wanted to read this book every night before bed the whole 2 weeks we had it. I found it on Amazon.com... she's getting her own copy for Christmas this year. She loves finding the animals who are hiding, sleeping, angry, etc.... Lots of fun and the simple animal illustrations are adorable!
Carrie
I loved this game/book! The animals are so cute and it makes your kid think and analyze. I guess the novelty might wear off after you've found everything a few times, so I'd recommend checking it out instead of buying it. ;) It's good for recogizing colors, animals, emotions...all kinds of stuff.
Dianne
This is a picture book that I loved so much for it's fun concept and illustrations that I paid the $17 for it from Amazon. It's very Japanese (in a good way) and simple enough for young toddlers to understand but clever enough for adults to enjoy as well. A great one for the family library!
Amanda
We love this book. It is very interactive because the kids have to answer questions about the page ex: who's backwards? It's colorful, exciting for the kids, you can incorporate counting, and colors as well. Good family read, or it would be well suited as a classroom library book.
Beck
A series of simple questions ask children to identify variations in repeated animal pictures. It's a cute way to get kids looking at the details, comparing similarities, noticing color and camouflage, recognizing facial expressions, comparing the observed present with memories, etc.
Kelly Triplett
A fun way to test readers' memories- young and old alike. This is probably not a great choice for a classroom read- aloud. Due to the nature of the book, independent reading or reading with a partner are probably the most ideal ways to allow students to explore this book.
LINDA
Cute, cute, cute childrens book! Simple graphics and bright colors make this book a delight!

On page 11 it asks 'Who's Angry?", and according to the answer key at the back of the book it is the Bear- buyt the Zebra doesn't seem particurally happy either! LOL!
Melissa
One of Rilla's current favorites. On each page, one or more of the animals are hiding, crying, feeling happy, or displaying other emotions. (The hiding happens every other page.) The clean and simple format is extremely appealing. We've had lots of fun with this book.
Allanna
Mar 24, 2008 Allanna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Allanna by: Dianne
In a word, "Kawaii!!!!!"

A very cute, visually stimulating picture book that would be useful in teaching colors and animal names. I heartily second Dianne's assessment (that it's worth the price. -- $17 from Amazon.com)
Asilenna
This is one of the cutest, most accessible children's books ever. It is appealing to both little and bigger kids. I am giving it as a gift to lots of people because it is so well-loved in my home!
Janae
What a creative, cute idea! Each page has the same set of animals, but with slight differences - one turns backwards, one is "hiding", one is sad, etc. W LOVES this book!
Kyrie
Cute way of making children look for details. I was glad there's an answer key in back because I had a hard time figuring out who was angry. Maybe I need remedial face reading.
Allison
What a cool book! Jordan giggled out loud while we read it together, and then she immediately read it again to her new baby brother.
Paula
The reader is asked a question about each page of animal pictures. Sort where's waldo for the very young. Out of print
Burbank Library Children's Department
A fantastic, colorful concept book that you can read dozens of times but still always find something new! Check it out!
Christina
A fun and inventive memory game wrapped up in a cute picture book. Love this one, simple but really fun!
Christine
My three year old loves this book! She "reads" it almost by herself. We have all the animals memorized.
Tina
"animals, simplistic puzzle book, find the differences, perfect for preschool interactive"
Susan Klemetti
Find which animal is hiding, sad, angry, etc. Helps kids pay close attention to detail.
Lori
Probably more of a "kid on your lap" book than a classroom read aloud.
Robin
I could not tell who was angry. Luckily, there is an answer key in the back.
Michelle
Clever book that helps one pay attention to visual details.
Shirley
great book for learning memory and observation skills
Gina
Emma laughs and laughs when we read this one!
Melissa Shelley