Start by marking “Who's Hiding?” as Want to Read:
Who's Hiding?

Who's Hiding?

Who s hiding? Who s crying? Who s backwards? Look carefully! Is it dog, tiger, hippo, zebra, bear, reindeer, kangaroo, lion, rabbit, giraffe, monkey, bull, rhino, pig, sheep, hen, elephant, or cat? Can you tell? Look again...18 fun-loving animals can be found on each question-posing page, sending readers into an up-close, attention-to-detail discovery.
Published December 1st 2007 by Kane/Miller Book Publishers (first published March 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Who's Hiding?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who's Hiding?

Nashiea Edmiston
I was drawn to the characters on the front cover of this book but once I opened it, I instantly fell in love with it. There are animals on the first two pages (dog, tiger, hippo, zebra, bear, reindeer, and so forth), each animal has a blank/neutral expression on their faces and are different colors, although the colors do repeat (ex: the pig, rabbit, bear, and elephant are all blue). The position of the animals never changes on any of the pages, but on the top of each page there is a question, " ...more
Vivian
Oct 06, 2010 Vivian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I've used this book in story time before but the children love it every time. This reading we focused mostly on the kangaroo.

Each double-page spread features all the animals introduced on the cover in the exact same order. The only thing that changes is the question at the top of the page, the background color of the page, and the randomly forward or backward position of the animals. Every other page the question is "who's hiding?"
Libby
Jan 23, 2013 Libby rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I had never heard of this one before one of the kids found it on the library shelves--the premise is there are about 24 animals on every spread (same animals, in the same order each time), but the different colored backgrounds (no outlines for the animals) mean that some animals are "hiding" on each page. There are also pages where you have to find who's sad, angry, backward...great pre-Where's Waldo type book, and we all had fun with it.
Meghan
Aug 28, 2009 Meghan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
This book seems simple at first but it has proven to be hours of entertainment and discussion with the boys. This is also one of the first books that JT tried "reading" although most of it was memorization based on the illustrations. The concept is simple; the same animals appear on each page but with each page you have to identify which animal is doing the action (hiding, backwards, is angry).
I'd suggest this one for the 2 and up crowd. This is definitely a good gift book.
Sondra Santos
Jul 26, 2007 Sondra Santos rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dominics
How can you not LOVE this book. At first, it seems so simple but after recognizing the animals by name, the concepts of color, front vs. back, and emotions become involved. There is an Answer Key in the back but most little ones will be able to discover this book and enjoy it on their own, trying to find the animal(s) that are hiding, crying, angry, or backwards.

It's available in Spanish now so I'm beginning to introduce this new language to my son, one tail at a time.

Stephanie
Nov 11, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
We checked this book out at the library for my 3 year old daughter. She wanted to read this book every night before bed the whole 2 weeks we had it. I found it on Amazon.com... she's getting her own copy for Christmas this year. She loves finding the animals who are hiding, sleeping, angry, etc.... Lots of fun and the simple animal illustrations are adorable!
Carrie
Aug 11, 2008 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, humor
I loved this game/book! The animals are so cute and it makes your kid think and analyze. I guess the novelty might wear off after you've found everything a few times, so I'd recommend checking it out instead of buying it. ;) It's good for recogizing colors, animals, emotions...all kinds of stuff.
Beck
Sep 18, 2009 Beck rated it liked it
A series of simple questions ask children to identify variations in repeated animal pictures. It's a cute way to get kids looking at the details, comparing similarities, noticing color and camouflage, recognizing facial expressions, comparing the observed present with memories, etc.
Melissa
Oct 11, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
One of Rilla's current favorites. On each page, one or more of the animals are hiding, crying, feeling happy, or displaying other emotions. (The hiding happens every other page.) The clean and simple format is extremely appealing. We've had lots of fun with this book.
Allanna
Mar 24, 2008 Allanna rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Allanna by: Dianne
In a word, "Kawaii!!!!!"

A very cute, visually stimulating picture book that would be useful in teaching colors and animal names. I heartily second Dianne's assessment (that it's worth the price. -- $17 from Amazon.com)
Amanda
Oct 16, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing
We love this book. It is very interactive because the kids have to answer questions about the page ex: who's backwards? It's colorful, exciting for the kids, you can incorporate counting, and colors as well. Good family read, or it would be well suited as a classroom library book.
LINDA
Apr 01, 2008 LINDA rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Cute, cute, cute childrens book! Simple graphics and bright colors make this book a delight!

On page 11 it asks 'Who's Angry?", and according to the answer key at the back of the book it is the Bear- buyt the Zebra doesn't seem particurally happy either! LOL!
Dianne
Mar 21, 2008 Dianne rated it it was amazing
This is a picture book that I loved so much for it's fun concept and illustrations that I paid the $17 for it from Amazon. It's very Japanese (in a good way) and simple enough for young toddlers to understand but clever enough for adults to enjoy as well. A great one for the family library!
Kelly Triplett
Nov 23, 2012 Kelly Triplett rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
A fun way to test readers' memories- young and old alike. This is probably not a great choice for a classroom read- aloud. Due to the nature of the book, independent reading or reading with a partner are probably the most ideal ways to allow students to explore this book.
Paula
Jun 29, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
The reader is asked a question about each page of animal pictures. Sort where's waldo for the very young. Out of print
Christina
Aug 11, 2011 Christina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
A fun and inventive memory game wrapped up in a cute picture book. Love this one, simple but really fun!
Tina Bartholoma
Dec 10, 2009 Tina Bartholoma rated it it was amazing
"animals, simplistic puzzle book, find the differences, perfect for preschool interactive"
Melissa Shelley
Fun with images
Janae
May 03, 2013 Janae rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-lit
What a creative, cute idea! Each page has the same set of animals, but with slight differences - one turns backwards, one is "hiding", one is sad, etc. W LOVES this book!
Burbank Library Children's Department
A fantastic, colorful concept book that you can read dozens of times but still always find something new! Check it out!
Asilenna
May 07, 2008 Asilenna rated it it was amazing
This is one of the cutest, most accessible children's books ever. It is appealing to both little and bigger kids. I am giving it as a gift to lots of people because it is so well-loved in my home!
Marcie
Apr 16, 2016 Marcie rated it it was amazing
Perfect book for prereaders! I'm thinking of getting a bunch to have on hand for a 3 year old birthday present!
Susan Klemetti
Apr 29, 2013 Susan Klemetti rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Find which animal is hiding, sad, angry, etc. Helps kids pay close attention to detail.
Christine
Feb 11, 2008 Christine rated it it was amazing
My three year old loves this book! She "reads" it almost by herself. We have all the animals memorized.
Allison
Jun 03, 2011 Allison rated it really liked it
What a cool book! Jordan giggled out loud while we read it together, and then she immediately read it again to her new baby brother.
Kyrie
Jul 20, 2013 Kyrie rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Cute way of making children look for details. I was glad there's an answer key in back because I had a hard time figuring out who was angry. Maybe I need remedial face reading.
Nov 08, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
WE LOOOOOVED this book!!1
Lori
Aug 15, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Probably more of a "kid on your lap" book than a classroom read aloud.
Diana
Diana rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2010
  • Zoom, Rocket, Zoom!
  • The Birthday Box
  • Monkey Truck
  • Farmyard Beat
  • What Will Fat Cat Sit On?
  • The Lemonade Club
  • One Two That's My Shoe!
  • For Just One Day