Start by marking “Blood Bath & Beyond (Immortality Bites Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Blood Bath & Beyond (Immortality Bites Mystery #1)

Blood Bath & Beyond (Immortality Bites Mystery #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  719 Ratings  ·  102 Reviews

Being engaged to a centuries-old master vampire can be challenging—especially when he takes a job wi
Published August 7th 2012 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published August 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Bath & Beyond, please sign up.

Jody There was the Immortality Bites series and this is the first in the Immortality Bites Mysteries. Now I feel like i need to read the first series to…moreThere was the Immortality Bites series and this is the first in the Immortality Bites Mysteries. Now I feel like i need to read the first series to fully get the mysteries.
(less)

Rane
Oct 12, 2012 Rane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Vampires got it rough.

In recent years they've gone from feared creatures then to sexual and sensual and now sparkle teen heart throbs with great hair.

Thankfully Michelle Rowen makes her vampires have middle ground and making them pretty normal and badass. Then again what's normal now of days?

Still a newbie vampire, Sarah Dearly is getting use to her new life as a vampire. With a diet of blood and a hate for anyone able to eat that tasty sweet treat. She's happy and thankful to have her fia
Heather Dearly
Aug 07, 2012 Heather Dearly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Blood Bath & Beyond is a clever paranormal mystery with laugh-out-loud moments that charm the reader; an easy read seasoned with seriously fun helpings of vampire heroine Sarah Dearly’s signature wit and trouble magnet ways.

This book is the first in a new series, and author Michelle Rowen transitions established and beloved characters from paranormal romance to the paranormal mystery genre with style and ease.

You do not have to have read her Immortality Bites series to appreciate her new Imm
Amanda
Aug 16, 2012 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved the last series with Sarah and Thiery, i was hoping this new branch off series was going to be just as good. it didnt disappoint! great story that had me guessing and falling in love with the characters all over again. cant wait for the next installment :-)
TheGeekyBlogger
Aug 15, 2012 TheGeekyBlogger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read
Read for Profiling Mysteries Event (Bought for Myself)
Overall Rating: 4.50
Story Rating: 4.25
Character Rating: 4.75

First Thought when Finished: What a wicked fun read that will have you giggling and then going WTF!

What I Thought of the Case: Blood Bath & Beyond is the first in a new Cozy Paranormal Mystery series. This particular case is about proving how Sarah Dearly's very old vampire fiance, Thierry, just did not commit a murder that he was accused of. Sarah is a magnet for trouble and tha
Mar 10, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: signed
My review will prob go up next week but I'll put up my fav quotes now :-D

"What's this?"
My mouth had gone dry. "My happy happy balloon. I got it from a clown named Mr. Chuckles."
His lips curved up at the edge. "I thought you were going to the airport?"
"I did."
"You stopped by a circus on the way home?"

"I love him," I said simply, as if that would smooth everything over.
"But he's so completely different from you. You are lightness and joy and humor and he's...well, he's none of those things."

"You h
Text Addict
I wanted to like this book more than I did. In fact, I wanted to want to finish it. But alas, all I could come up with was a big "ho hum."

I did think the author was being a bit daring by starting her series after the heroine and the romantic lead had hooked up. Apparently, according to Sarah, it was quite the adventure - what with her being turned into a vampire and pursued by "hunters" and falling for a much older vampire named Thierry. The actual novel, though, starts when Thierry gets an ass
Michelle Tempted By Books
I was very excited to find that Thierry and Sarah had another book. I recalled enjoying the previous books, back a few years ago. I was grateful for the refresher though, as I have read so many books since I was suffering from some confusion. Michelle was able to get me back up to speed without bogging down the book so that was a plus. I have to say though that after reading, I am trying to remember why I like Sarah before? Honestly the woman is insanely naive and far too accident prone. Though ...more
Melodiacat
Sep 14, 2012 Melodiacat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blood Bath & Beyond
By: Michelle Rowen
Published by: Signet
Published on: August 7, 2012
Reviewed by: Maria G.
Publishers Blurb: Sarah Dearly is adjusting to life as a fledgling vampire, satisfying her cravings at vampire-friendly blood banks. But when her fiancé Thierry takes a job with the Ring—the secret council in charge of keeping vampires in line—Sarah’s about to get more than a taste of danger…

Jennifer Loiske
Nov 15, 2012 Jennifer Loiske rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Michelle Rowen so when the Autumn depression hit me I knew exactly what book I should read. BLOOD BATH & BEYOND continues Michelle Rowen's exhilarating, well written row of books.

Sarah is as sassy as before and Thierry as stone-faced as usual. Thierry has been offered a new job with the frightening organization full of the creepiest vampires of all times. He agrees to join them as they make him an offer he just cannot refuse. Sarah decides to go with him but before Thierry
Elizabeth D.
Jul 27, 2016 Elizabeth D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I felt very fortunate to find a new paranormal mystery series that sounded fun, had great reviews and the book said right on the cover "first book in a new series" so I was happy to be able to start this from the beginning if it turned out to be something I liked. Unfortunately the mystery series turned out to be the same characters from a previous paranormal romance series that this author had done so there were lots of references to events that had happened in the previous series which I had n ...more
Melodie
Aug 16, 2012 Melodie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
I really liked this one! Apparently Michelle Rowen has another series of books with some of these characters, but they look like standard "chick lit" so I'll just go with this series. I do love my vampires and putting them in a mystery is just up my alley. If you enjoy the same, give this one a shot. RECOMMEND!
Lori
Feb 01, 2016 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, vampires
This is #1 in the Immortality Bites Mystery series – featuring characters from the author’s light romantic comedy series (with titles like ‘Lady & the Vamp’). Fledgling vampire Sarah Dearly’s Master Vampire fiancé Thierry receives an offer he can’t refuse. He must work for the vampire equivalent of the FBI for fifty years, a dangerous job that requires almost nonstop travel. He encourages Sarah to stay at home – she insists on traveling with them – and they’re off to Las Vegas where a vampir ...more
Jessica (a GREAT read)
Blood Bath & Beyond is Michelle Rowen's foray into the mystery world! I love a good paranormal mystery and Victoria Laurie's quote on the cover is what led me to try this one out. It was pretty good, but I guess what threw me off was that while this is a NEW series, it's a spinoff of Michelle's previous paranormal romance one that involved the characters. So I missed 5 books worth of info, but again, this is the first in this series.

Yeah, kind of confusing. But like I said, I basically just
T.M. Carper
Sep 17, 2014 T.M. Carper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different tone in a way from the previous books. There's a refresher course in the beginning of the high points in Sarah's immortal life thus far in case you haven't read the other books, since it's billed as "first in a new series".

It's a like a vampire-based cozy mystery with a bit more blood and guts, cause, uh, vampires, but it's nice since it's set in the same world and Sarah is the lead once again. Plus there's fun secondary characters and more Ring business and more from Thierry's past.

En
Gwen Maddela-potter
Kimberly
Sarah Dearly is leading a pretty exciting life. Shes fairly new to the vampire world and relies on her master vampire fiancé, Thierry, to help guide her along the way. Things take a sudden twist when Thierry is asked to fly to Vegas and commit to a job title that last 50 years and involves a lot of risky travel. Wanting to prove her love and support, Sarah travels along with hopes of assisting Thierry in any way possible. What she doesn't expect to become entangled with is a case surrounding a v ...more
Cheryl Landmark
Jun 30, 2014 Cheryl Landmark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't yet read the first series that this one is spawned from, but I had no difficulty getting into this book. There was enough backstory information given to fill in any gaps and Ms. Rowen's excellent writing catapulted me right into the heart of the story.

The plot was fun, wacky and full of humour, but there was also the more serious side of vampirism, violence and cold-blooded murder.

Sarah Dearly was snarky, stubborn, naive, compassionate, determined, and a magnet for trouble, but I loved
Ariel
Oct 19, 2012 Ariel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Dearly is only months old as a vampire (due to a blind date with an undead), but she is now engaged to a 600 year old Master Vampire named Thierry de Bennicoeur. Thierry takes a fifty-year job with a shadowy group called "the Ring," essentially a vampire counsel. He admits it was an offer he couldn't refuse. This job entails a lot of travel over that next fifty years as well. Thierry is surprised, and a little pleased, that Sarah refuses to sit in Vancouver, but insists on traveling with h ...more
Christine
Dec 23, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarah Dearly is adjusting to life with her fiancee Thierry when he takes a job 'he cannot refuse' with The Ring (organization that manages vampire affairs). They relocate to Vegas so he can investigate a beauty pageant contestant (think Honey Boo Boo). Things get complicated when a series of murders occur and Thierry becomes the main suspect. Have no fear-Sarah is on the case!

Immortality Bites is one of my favorite vampire series for one primary reason-Rowen has the ability to make me laugh. Thi
Starry
Cindy
Aug 28, 2012 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vampire Sarah Dearly is the happiest fledgling on the planet. She is engaged to Master vampire Thierry Bennicour, living in his palatial home, drinking from local blood banks...un-life just can't get much better. Thierry then tells her he has taken an investigative position with the "Ring", an organization that polices the behavior of vampires to keep everyone from letting the public know they are real. This is OKay with Sarah, it just means they will be traveling for the next 50 years, as that ...more
❂ Jennifer
This is the first book in a new mystery series based on a series called Immortality Bites - a paranormal romance series. I haven't read the paranormal romance series, since it really isn't my thing (the romance part), but I didn't find myself adrift at all reading this book.

I'm also not a fan of inner dialogue, and this book has a lot of it - she's angsty about marring a vampire several centuries older than she, worried about whether he'll be found guilty of a crime he didn't commit, and adrift
Jan
This is the first book in the Imortality Bites Mystery series and features fledgling vampire, Sarah Dearly and her Master Vampire fiance, Thierry from the Immortality Bites romance series. Thierry has been told that he will be working for the mysterious Ring organization that monitors vamp behavior around the world. Sarah decides to join him on his adventures rather than waiting around for an occasional visit. Their first assignment takes them to Las Vegas to investigate a child vampire who is w ...more
Jasha Gutierrez
I just figured out this is actually some kind of a spin-off series with the same characters, whom i have come to adore so much...

The original series tells the story of how our two lovely characters have come to know each other. I have seen the original book and the cover turned me off (seriously book cover makers or whatever they call you guys: What the heck? Your job is supposed to turn people on not the other way around!) , Jeez...

Ok so, because of the cover and some bad reviews i intenti
Melliane
Nov 18, 2012 Melliane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mon avis en Français

My English review

I already read a few adventures of Sarah Dearly through the first saga of Michelle Rowen, but I was quite surprised to find that the author had started another series featuring Thierry. I think this one could perfectly continue the Immortality Bites one. This is what surprised me, I did not really expect to have a real continuity in the story but it is still nice to see how our characters have evolved. I think the first series allowed us to really get to kno
Elizabeth
May 04, 2013 Elizabeth rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
1.5
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
BB & B is a welcome return to Sarah Dearly. Theres more of her fabulous sarcastic wit, and of course she always manages to find herself in the middle of things.

Although you can start this series without having read the Immortality Bites series, I'm glad I have just for the background on what has already transgressed between Sarah and Thierry. (I have certainly got myself a thing for the tall, dark, and handsome brooding vampire - honestly who wouldn't want some more of him?)

Michelle has - ea
Erin
May 05, 2016 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, okay, so...I seriously loved this book. At first I thought it would be a bit hokey with all of the blood bank nonsense, but I loved Thierry and Sarah. They are the perfect duo. There needs to be many more books in this series. I have the next two and I plan to order the backlog, but hey, publishers! We need more! :) This series has great characters, a believable plotline, a good twist and everything you could want in vampire fiction.
Alice Liu
Apr 28, 2013 Alice Liu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun supernatural mystery along the line of Cozy mysteries. There is constant action and funny character conflicts (with very different and interesting personality types). My only issue is with the heroine, Sarah Dearly. She is a bit superficial: She is constantly being told how special she is simply because she displays the emotional posturing of a socially conditioned "nice girl." She interrupts moments of crises to insist on talking about her feelings. Put next to a vapid fashionista ...more
Angie
Aug 28, 2015 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michelle Rowen always manages to make the most ridiculous scenarios work to her advantage. Sarah is the most troublesome newbie vampire I've ever seen, but she seems to think well on her feet and having her fiance waiting for her gives her a reason to make it out of anything bad. Can't wait to read the rest of the books in this series if this one is how they all are.
  • A Taste of the Nightlife (Vampire Chef, #1)
  • Last Wool and Testament (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Forever Charmed (Halloween Laveau, #1)
  • In a Witch's Wardrobe (A Witchcraft Mystery, #4)
  • Blood of Eden (Sloane Skye, #1)
  • A Demon Does It Better (Hex, #6)
  • Who Do, Voodoo? (A Mind for Murder, #1)
  • Allergic to Death (A Gourmet De-Lite Mystery, #1)
  • Woof at the Door (Call of the Wilde #1)
  • Acquainted With the Night (Acquainted With the Night, #1)
  • Murder Buys a T-shirt (A Haunted Souvenir Shop Mystery #1)
  • Mind Over Monsters (F.R.E.A.K.S. Squad Investigation, #1)
  • Wild Wild Death (Pepper Martin #8)
  • It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #1)
  • Cloaked in Malice (A Vintage Magic Mystery, #5)
  • Because Your Vampire Said So (Broken Heart #3)
  • Murder in Vein (A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery, #1)
  • A Fitting End (A Magical Dressmaking Mystery #2)
National bestselling author MICHELLE ROWEN writes paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and young adult fantasy, both light and dark, sexy and sweet, long and short -- it all depends on the story! She's won a Holt Medallion for Best First Book and a Romantic Times Reviewers Choice award for Vampire Romance. For more information, please visit Michelle at her website at www.michellerowen.com.
More about Michelle Rowen...

Immortality Bites Mystery (3 books)
  • Bled & Breakfast (Immortality Bites Mystery #2; Immortality Bites #7)
  • From Fear to Eternity (Immortality Bites Mystery, #3; Immortality Bites, #8)

“You have a very prickly exterior that needs to be navigated very carefully. Kind of like a really sexy cactus.” 12 likes
“But I'd done what I could to warm the place up. I'd started with a welcome mat. It had a happy face on it and was bright and colorful. It didn't say "Welcome." It said "!!!WELCOME!!!"
I knew he wouldn't like it. I considered it more of an amusing test to see how open he was to change. He'd let me move in with him, but how flexible was he really willing to be?
It disappeared the day after I placed it by the front door. It was just--poof!--gone. When I imagined the shocked look on his face when he would have first seen it, a spot of wacky and whimsical color in his otherwise monochromatic world, I started to laugh hysterically.”
7 likes