Start by marking “The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America” as Want to Read:
The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America

The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America

4.61 of 5 stars 4.61  ·  rating details  ·  652 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The Sibley Guide to Birds has quickly become the new standard of excellence in bird identification guides, covering more than 810 North American birds in amazing detail. Now comes a new portable guide from David Sibley that every birder will want to carry into the field. Compact and comprehensive, this new guide features 650 bird species plus regional populations found eas ...more
Published April 29th 2003 by Knopf (first published January 2003)

Be the first to ask a question about The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard BachThe Ugly Duckling by Jerry PinkneyThe Raven by Edgar Allan PoeA Spicing of Birds by Emily DickinsonBirds by Aristophanes
Books About Birds
20th out of 156 books — 37 voters
Papyrus by John GaudetWalden & Civil Disobedience by Henry David ThoreauThe Orphan Conspiracies by James MorcanNocturne, Opus 1 by Norene MoskalskiWhere the Deer Dwell by Dorothy Gravelle
10 Unconventional Environmental Books
37th out of 43 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura Hughes
I did a side by side comparison of this, the Peterson field guide, and the Audubon field guide, and I liked this one the best. The illustrations are clear and, for the birds I knew, seemed to capture the spirit of the bird in an easy-to-identify way. Important features and field marks are pointed out in the illustrations. There are pages with helpful comparisons for similar or easily-confused birds, like hawks and warblers. It's compact and densely packed with useful information.

The Peterson gu
John
This is my primary field guide, the one I take with me when I'm birdwatching.
Anne K.
Apr 04, 2010 Anne K. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: new and old birders
Shelves: reference
This is my "take with" bird book. One of the things I really like about it is that each group of birds has a overview page which shows smaller pictures of all the birds. It makes it very easy to compare sizes and prominent features so you can rule out some birds without having to flip through the book quite as much.

Of course, Sibley's art is quite good, expressive without being distracting. Like most bird books, he creates a sort of mean or average picture of the bird. Recognized sub-species ar
Mel Claes winans
Let's be real, this is a field guide. That being said, it is a very useful, the variety of pictures cover all the bases and the descriptions are spot on. By far the best field guide for beginners.
Josh Blackmon
The essential guide for birding in eastern North America.
Goose
Hands down the best bird guide I've owned/seen. The illustrations are top notch and include the bird from different angles, particularly useful when you're trying to ID a bird from flight. This guide also includes a good distribution graph, brief blurb on the bird (such as habitat, call, etc.), and a fair smattering of rare/vagrants to the Eastern US area. It's also a good size, easily fits in a decent coat sized pocket. I carry it everywhere with me and haven't been let down yet. Perfect for th ...more
Liz
This is the bird book I use most often. I agree with the previous reviewer that its main flaw is that it's very liberal in its interpretation of "Eastern" and I often have to wade through several birds I have almost zero chance of seeing here to compare the similar ones that I am likely to see. However, overall the book is an excellent guide, and the one I am most likely to give as a gift to friends who want a good guide for identifying birds while hiking/etc.
A.D. Morel
This is the field guide to beat most of my other field guides. I like it so much, and if I'm checking around through the bird books, this one is near the top of the pile if not on the top. For handy, the Golden Guide is more likely to go in my pack, but this one has such great illustrations and excellent information. It's a must-have for me.
Johanna
This reference was recommended to me by an Audubon Society friend who knows - I'm new to the east coast and was without the tools. Lovely, beautiful renderings, understated, nicely produced and to the point. Best book of 2012 so far, I'd say. Oh, you don't FINISH a book like this.
Kidsbookworm
I "grew up" on the Peterson guide and The Golden Guide to Birds, and I have those books also. But David Sibley's book is SO comprehensive, informative, and wonderful that I had to buy this one, also!

If you are at all interested in birds, I think this book is a Must Own.
Sandra
As I always say, photos are better than drawings; however, this series is so beautifully drawn and well notated that one doesn't need actual photos.

Pair it with this site:
and you have an excellent resource set for any level of enthusiast.
May 10, 2010 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: birds
As someone who has recently become a birdwatcher, and loves to acquire books, I've got a couple (OK, more than a couple) other field guides. But this is my favorite and the one that I carry with my bins. The illustrations are just amazing.
Peacegal
This is a fine bird guide that you will refer to for years to come. It’s compact enough to carry with you outdoors, but comprehensive enough to keep on your bookshelf. Very nice illustrations accompany the entries.
Madeline
I would have preferred that the book have color photographs as opposed to drawings but over all it is a good field guide. I like that the guide also shows what the bird looks like in flight.
Jean
One of the best field guides I've tried. The introductory material is hugely helpful and the illustrations and descriptions are well done. Highly recommended for beginning birdwatchers!
Jan 06, 2013 Laura rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
While I'm still a Peterson's disciple, this makes a really nice addition to the library and has information not found in the Peterson's bible. I'll use them in tandem.
Bree
Notes:
not a kids' field guide but 6yo daughter loves birds
shows several views of each bird
extensive coverage of every bird imaginable for where we live
John
Dec 28, 2007 John added it
Shelves: booksforbirding
I finally have this long-coveted field guide. It was a Christmas gift from my sister. I'm going to be good at spotting birds now. I will. I will ...
Jessie (saxgrl1)
Always my go to book for bird ID. The different seasonal plumage illustrations as especially helpful for shorebirds and seabirds.
Susan
I have almost replaced my Peterson's guide with this one. Almost. They currently function as a whole!
kris
A must for bird lovers! This is my new found friend, to identify and learn about the birds!
Apearl17
Hopefully this book will remain on my currently reading shelf as long as I live.
Jon
I'll have this listed as currently reading forever. Best bird book I have ever seen.
Gabby
Beautiful pictures. I actually refer to this when I need to identify a bird in my yard.
Ed Hayden
Best bird identification field guide. Lots of images for various plumages.
Anastasia Steinbrunner
This is the go-to book for bird ID. Everyone should own one!
Kevin
I completely suck at birding, but I still enjoy it.
Tiffanie22
A great reference that still fits in my pocket :)
Jessica Lowery
My favorite field guide, and I have many.
  • Kaufman Field Guide to Advanced Birding: Understanding What You See and Hear
  • The Warbler Guide
  • Living on the Wind: Across the Hemisphere with Migratory Birds
  • A Field Guide to Insects: America North of Mexico
  • Birds of America
  • Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks (Peterson Field Guides)
  • A Field Guide to Medicinal Plants and Herbs
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region
  • The Bird: A Natural History of Who Birds Are, Where They Came From & How They Live
  • The Life of Birds
  • Newcomb's Wildflower Guide
  • The Crossley ID Guide: Raptors
The Sibley Guide to Birds The Sibley Guide to Bird Life & Behavior The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America Sibley's Birding Basics The Sibley Guide to Trees