Start by marking “City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)” as Want to Read:
City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2)

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2)

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  517,279 Ratings  ·  20,378 Reviews
Also see: Alternate Cover Editions for this ISBN [ACE]
ACE #1

Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 453 pages
Published March 25th 2008 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about City of Ashes, please sign up.

Caitlin The first book, City of bones, is already a movie and the rest of the series I think will be made into a T.V. show so they can describe the events…moreThe first book, City of bones, is already a movie and the rest of the series I think will be made into a T.V. show so they can describe the events more than they could in a movie.(less)
Himanish Prabhakar Absolutely, there is no if and buts about should I read the book or not.
City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
1st out of 23,319 books — 59,821 voters
Hush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickFallen by Lauren KateCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareShiver by Maggie StiefvaterCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Judge A Book By Its Cover!
5th out of 4,432 books — 8,869 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick
This book cost me around 600 dollars.

When I'm traveling to and from conventions, I use the airplane time to catch up on my reading. A lot of times this means I'm taking the opportunity to read books that have been popular for a while, but that I haven't gotten around to. I feel like I should be aware of the landscape.

Anyway, on my way home from Seattle, I had a layover in Minneapolis. I grabbed this book so I'd have something to read while I was eating dinner in the airport.

So I ate dinner, a
John Egbert
Dec 03, 2013 John Egbert rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of City of Ashes, Fans of The Mortal Instruments
John no longer uses this account. I have no patience for this bullshit any longer. There are many ways to state an opinion that is in disagreement with this review, and so far, many of you have FAILED to do so. I will no longer tolerate disparaging comments. Rethink them if you don't want me to delete them.

Thanks,
John's Sister

PS: John is not male. She changed her gender status so she would not receive misogynistic comments, or gendered insults. JFYI.

I will tell the complete and honest truth. An
SKB
Mar 20, 2011 SKB rated it it was ok
Cara
Jan 31, 2014 Cara rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cara by: Victoria
I didn't go online, hardly talked, didn't eat (ok so I did eat), didn't watch TV just so I could finish this book. So basically I spent the whole day reading and I'm just bursting at the seams to read the next one.

The tension in the book is so great that you feel like the characters are literally going to break from the strain. Clary's mother is still in a coma and her relationships with Simon and Jace are fragile. At one point you just feel so down for everyone. Clary seemed to be getting in th
Elle
Well that was awkward.

*** SPOILERGRAM***

But before we head down the path of outrageous incest, I will say that City of Ashes was better than City of Bones. The pace was an improvement on that of the latter. Simon was still awesome as ever. I also felt that Ms Clare branched out a wee bit with her creativity with the Vampire transformation stuff, (except that I knew it was coming thanks to a certain Filipino minx who spilt the beans in a comment. You know who you are).

As for the abomination that
shady boots
I can't do it. I just can't.

Screw this series.

My problem with this series isn't the writing. I'm not one to judge books by the writing since I am pretty terrible at it myself. My problem also isn't exactly the story, which I probably could like. Sort of. I think. I don't know. But anyways, my main problem isn't any of that.

It's the characters.

How can you continue with a series when you feel nothing but pure hatred towards the characters? They all just infuriated me to no end. Jace Wayland especi
Rose
Aug 15, 2012 Rose rated it it was amazing
I'm beginning to understand why people prefer Jace Wayland to Edward Cullen.

I have to OH SNAP the ending. Is it March yet? I want City of Glass NOW.
Pearl Angeli
Reread: January, 2016
1st Read : July, 2014

This series continues to amaze me! I loved it the first time I read it and even gets better the second time around. There are lots of crazy and hilarious moments in this installment. The characters are all engaging and the way they interact really entertains me. I especially love Simon and Jace's banters here. And that part when they went to The Seelie Court-- my favorite part! Although Jace kind of disappoints me with his moody attitude, I still can't r
Vi Vi
Mar 29, 2011 Vi Vi rated it did not like it
"That when he thought, really thought, about the fact that he might never get to kiss Clary again, he wanted to die or hurt or bleed so badly he’d go up to the attic and train alone for hours until he was so exhausted he had no choice but to pass out, exhausted."

Oh for fuck's sake.

"He’d have bruises in the morning, bruises and cuts and scraped skin and if he could have named all his injuries they would have had the same name: Clary, Clary, Clary."

OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE.

"If there had ever been any ho
Kate ♡
City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Actual Rating: 3.75/5

This book was so much better than the first in my opinion, but I could be thinking this way because my vision of the first book in the series was clouded by my vision of the movie, but, nonetheless I really enjoyed this book a lot more.

I rated this book a 3.75 stars, so that there's room for higher ratings as the series goes on (and hopefully gets better)

City of Ashes got the 4 stars because it had me constantly thinking about the book, and f
Mikee Andrea Quiambao
I know I just now finished the second book of this series, but it feels like such an accomplishment every time I finish a book. I've seriously fell in love with this series so much. More than I ever expected to and I'm hoping I can stay with this series until the end since most people have said they stopped more or less halfway through. But so far, I've been so wrapped up in the Shadowhunter world that I don't see myself stopping any time soon! I'm so excited to see what else The Mortal Instrume ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Mar 24, 2016 Chelsea (chelseadolling reads) rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
WOWEEEEEE. Well that was WAY better than the first book. I am FEELING some FEELS.
Reader-ramble
Sep 29, 2013 Reader-ramble rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Do not touch this book if you value your brain cells.
The following review is filled with spoilers, whining, complaining, ranting, and the destruction of everything people love about this series. Please read responsibly.

When last we left our intrepid heroes, Clary "Mary Sue" Frey discovered she was part of a super special group of people called Shadowhunters. (That should be two words, by the way.) She falls for shmexy jerk-face Jace, only to find out that he is her brother and that they are the long lost children of stock baddie, Valent... Oh, I c
Jamie
****DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T READ CITY OF BONES****

This is an outstanding follow-up to City of Bones. In City of Ashes, we find Jace and Clarey dealing with the personal fall-out from City of Bones, Alec and Isabelle not as visible but are still included, Simon still mackin' on Clarey but finds his own bit of trouble, and Magnus Bane cementing himself as the flamboyant, awesome warlock I knew he would be. And then there's the psychopathic Valentine....grrrr....

"You think she'll be able to
Avis

JacexClary:

Plot:

Me:

The end.

(Maybe one day, when I grow up and become a real girl, I'll write a proper review)
tigerofbooks
Mar 12, 2016 tigerofbooks rated it it was amazing
THE REVIEW

This is definitely another great work by Cassandra Clare and if I could rate it with 50 stars I would do it without overthinking!! I want to start this review by talking about my favourite thing on it, which was that we had a whole different type of writing in my opinion.We know that in City of Bones aka perfection, the book was mainly concentrated in Clary but in City of Ashes I saw how cool everything changed because we got to see what were doing the other characters, for example whe
Andi
Feb 23, 2010 Andi added it
City of Ashes, on the whole, is a much more cohesive piece that City of Bones. That said, I had two major problems with the text.

The first major problem I had was with the role of adult characters in the book. There was a constant dichotomy of 'with the main characters equals good' and 'against the main characters equal bad/evil' and life is never that simple. Luke, who always supports Clary, Simon, and Jace is firmly in the 'good' category. Maryse is slightly different. In the beginning of the
Andrea Caro
May 14, 2012 Andrea Caro marked it as to-read
Shelves: series, ebook
I am sorry. I have better things to do than read this. Like clean my bathroom with a toothbrush, get a root canal, or slowly kill myself by mixing Drano in my soup. Peace outs.
Jasmine
4.5 STARS!

Book 2 really picks up from the first one and if it wasn't for my real life work, I would have enjoyed reading this in one complete sitting, loved it!

I was already sucked in from the first chapter as it starts off very eerily with the introduction of Agramon (this demon reminds me of a Boggart in HP but much more scary!). With Valentine making his intentions loud and clear to the Clave and all Downworlders alike, horrendous killings are popping up everywhere and Valentine shows no me
Steph Sinclair

*sigh*
I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the fact that my taste in YA novels are changing. Maybe it's because since reading the first MI book in 2009, I have read so many better book series. Whatever the reason, CC just does not impress me. The writing is bad and she has poor use of similes.

I didn't feel the love Jace felt for Clary. If anything, I felt downright embarrassed that Jace was pinning over his "sister" and pretty much not caring. All the while, Simon is in the corner about to be s
Marcy Jo
Let's be honest. It doesn't matter HOW many times I read this book, even knowing how things will work out in City of Glass, the epilogue still makes me want to throw things against the wall EVERY TIME I read it! LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Um...SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I feel a new obsession coming on. I can't get these books and characters out of my HEAD! I loved it so very very much, I couldn't stop reading. And now that I'm done reading, I'm going to listen to the audiobooks. Seriously , I'm in love
Laurie
Apr 20, 2016 Laurie rated it really liked it
Once again, a wonderful buddy read with sweet Amy
“Love takes your choices away.”

This book is a huge improvement! I had to lower my previous rating to be fair to City of Glass. Cassandra Clare did a great work on her world building, as well as on the relationship building. She introduced us to The Seelie Court and I have to say that this part was one of my favorite moments in this book. I loved how manipulative Fairies are, and the fact that they always seems to take the best out of e
Ash Reads
Dec 31, 2015 Ash Reads rated it it was amazing
1st Read: 2013
1st Reread: May 23, 2014
2nd Reread: July 17-19 [With Lauren]

Its sad that I have read these books as many times as I have, and have neglected to write reviews until now. I love these books! I could probably read them over and over again and never tire of the story - the world, that this author has created.

There is more of a 'feels' factor in this book. More emotions that book one set up. More drama. I LOVE IT. This isn't my favorite book of the series, its probably one of my least,
Karin
Feb 20, 2008 Karin rated it it was amazing
CITY OF ASHES is the much anticipated sequel to last year’s City of Bones. Never have I been more excited to get a book in the mail. I have to admit, I was looking forward to CITY OF ASHES even more than when I was waiting for Harry Potter 7.

Re-entering the world of the Shadowhunters was thrilling. Clary and Jace are dealing with their father’s theft of the Angel’s Cup and are continuing to struggle with the fact that they are brother and sister.

In CITY OF ASHES we meet Alec and Izzy’s parents w
the scarecrow
May 03, 2012 the scarecrow rated it did not like it
I hate the name-dropping, the shallow references, the GOD-DAMN 'love-triangle' between Simon and Jace and Clary, and the ABSURD case of Speshul Snoflake syndrome this book seems to suffer from.

Dear Mother Nature,
I would like to apologize on behalf of the publishing industry for the trees that gave their lives to produce such filth. It's cruel, careless and most of all disrespectful. I know my apologies don't matter very much, but I'd like to offer them just the same. I've lost all faith in manki
Danny Phanton
Jan 16, 2016 Danny Phanton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustó, estuvo entretenido, los personajes aun me gustan aunque admito que Jace me fue un poco insoportable en este libro, sigue bastante entretenido, rápido de leer y con más acción y más cosas que quiero descubrir ya mismo, en serio no pude parar hasta terminarlo.

La historia se pone más interesante y espero que los siguientes sigan igual de buenos que estos, aunque siento que aun me falta algo para darle esas 5 estrellas, sin duda Cassandra me esta sorprendiendo.

Amo a Simón, es mi favorito&
Monique
Apr 13, 2016 Monique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Oh. My. God! So much happened in this book that I can't even get my thoughts together.

Full set of thoughts

Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil--and also her father. When the second of the Mortal Instruments is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor suspects Jace. Could Jace really be willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

* There are so many kick ass sequences in this.
* Holy cow the char
Melisa
Feb 27, 2016 Melisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2016
I don't know why but I have a huge problem with first books in series.

I read City of Bones last year and only gave it 2 stars because I didn't like it at all. But after watching the first two episodes of the new tv-show the Shadowhunters my interest for this series got bigger so I decided to pick up City of Ashes and I loved it.

I couldn't put this book down. It's been a while since I've read a book where I counted down the seconds which had to pass for me to have time to keep on reading.

The c
Thomas
May 04, 2010 Thomas rated it it was amazing
"City of Ashes" is the sequel to City of Bones, and the series so far is about Clarissa Fray, a shadowhunter girl who is in the midst of a large war between Valentine and his demon horde, and the Clave, the society that keeps downworlders like vampires/werewolves and shadowhunters in order. Not to mention that Clary might be in love with her brother, Jace. Also, she goes through some friendship issues with her best friend Simon. And, her mom is in a coma, her dad is an evil demon lord, and her b ...more
Marnie
Cassandra Clare's writing is so magical. I'm not even going to write a full review as I cannot praise this book enough. I can't wait to start City of Glass!
YA Buddy Readers'...: City of Ashes By Cassandra Clare - Restarting May 1st AND May 27th 2016 25 94 10 hours, 12 min ago
A Book Nirvana: City of Ashes, The Mortal Instruments #2 (May 2016) 1 4 Apr 30, 2016 10:35AM
The Book Was Better: CITY OF ASHES 6 56 Apr 27, 2016 06:42PM
Stacks Full Of Books: Chapters 19-Epilogue 1 9 Apr 19, 2016 08:54AM
Stacks Full Of Books: Chapters 16-18 1 8 Apr 15, 2016 05:40AM
Stacks Full Of Books: Chapters 13-15 1 9 Apr 15, 2016 04:06AM
  • Summer's Crossing (Iron Fey, #3.5)
  • Feast of Fools (The Morganville Vampires, #4)
  • Tiger's Quest (The Tiger Saga, #2)
  • Betrayals (Strange Angels, #2)
  • Radiant Shadows (Wicked Lovely, #4)
  • Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)
  • Black Dawn (Night World, #8)
  • If I Die (Soul Screamers, #5)
  • Origin (Lux, #4)
  • Supernaturally (Paranormalcy, #2)
  • The Demon's Covenant (The Demon's Lexicon, #2)
  • Hunted (House of Night, #5)
  • At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3)
  • Stargazer (Evernight, #2)
  • The Awakening (Darkest Powers, #2)
  • Wolfsbane (Nightshade, #2)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

More about Cassandra Clare...

The Mortal Instruments (6 books)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3)
  • City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4)
  • City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5)
  • City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6)

“I don't want to be a man," said Jace. "I want to be an angst-ridden teenager who can't confront his own inner demons and takes it out verbally on other people instead."
"Well," said Luke, "you're doing a fantastic job.”
11386 likes
“We came to see Jace. Is he alright?"
"I don't know," Magnus said. "Does he normally just lie on the floor like that without moving?”
9619 likes