B^F: The Novelization Of The Feature Film

B^F: The Novelization Of The Feature Film

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In 1984, George Gipe was contracted to write the novelization of the movie Back To The Future. He was supplied with a screenplay still in flux, writing his novelization even as the movie itself was being rewritten and as major roles were being recast (Michael J. Fox was not the first person to play Marty McFly). Partially because of this, and partially because of Gipe's na...more
Published August 12th 2012

To ask other readers questions about B^F, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about B^F

Rose
So basically this book made me appreciate Back to the Future even more than I already did, and also I'm a little bit in love with Ryan North?

I also read the entirety of this book whilst on a Las Vegas trip (LOL-ing muchly even in public, I don't care who saw), so it quite possibly prevented me from losing more money than I would have if I didn't have "Ryan North's Writeup of Back to the Future: A Robert Zemeckis Film: The Novel by George Gipe based on a screenplay by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale...more
Teri
I read almost the whole thing online on Ryan North's tumblr, but I bought this because I wanted to read all of it, and I <3 Ryan North and I will happily buy anything he ever puts out, ever. This is a page-by-page critique of one of the worst movie tie-in novelizations ever written, and that's saying something as movie tie-in novels aren't widely regarded as high art. I read almost this whole book out loud to my partner, at times having to stop because we were laughing so hard I could not con...more
Philip
It happened something like this:

In 1984, George Gipe, whose past bibliography includes sci-fi, memorabilia, sports and screenplay novelization books (his most recent one being Gremlins) is commissioned to adapt a certain time travel movie. He is handed an early draft of the screenplay and brought on board even before a fellow named Michael J. Fox replaces Eric Stolz in the movie's lead role.

A year after publication, George Gipe is stung to death by bees. Yes, bees. Years after that, Ryan North...more
Chris
I'm not sure how this originally got onto my Amazon wishlist--it was years old when I finally read it--and I was unaware or had forgotten it was a collection of posts from a Tumblr by the guy who does Dinosaur Comics. That being said, it worked really well as a short book and a hilarious page-by-page book review.
Lauren James
I'm pretty sure i laughed out loud at this book (novel length review?) more than i have at any book ever. people told me to Jesus Christ, Just Shut Up Already Lauren, multiple times, which, as im sure you will agree, is the most desired consequence of reading material.
also ryan north: i want one pls
Steph
Well that was genuinely awesome, I highly recommend it to anyone who love Back to the Future, time travel, crappy novelisations and/or laughing. Ryan North is a fantastic writer for this kind of material, and I promise you you won't be disappointed.
Joshua
Insane concept but so much fun to read. Ryan North is hilarious, and what's almost crazier is that I feel like I learned a lot about good writing (via the lens of bad writing and North's keen insights.) THIS WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE A LEARNING BOOK YOU GUYS.
elstaffe
This is so excellent. I'm glad I waited to see the trilogy before reading this (yes, I know, I live in a cultural time warp), even though the live blogging with gifs would have also been a great experience. Aside from some typos here and there (which I'm sure were also on the original tumblr), I am so very happy about this. I wish I could have it in physical book form so I could pull it out during takeoff and landing on airplanes, just to show off my sweet reading tastes.

so good
very much old man...more
Richard
OMG THIS BOOK. SERIOUSLY. THIS BOOK. OMG.

Lowdown: Before the script for Back To The Future was finished, they handed an unfinished version of the script to this author - George Gipe (btw, stung to death by BEES?! RIP GIPE) - to write up the novelisation. Problem, Gipe is like the worst author ever and the script itself doesn't make sense most the time. HILARITY ENSUES

Our hero then, Ryan North of Dinosaur Comics fame, finds this novelisation and quickly realises how bizzare it is (INCORRECT SPELL...more
Rod Hilton
The creator of Dinosaur Comics, Ryan North has managed to write a page-by-page review of the novelization of Back to the Future. Astonishingly, Ryan North Presents A Review Of Steven Spielberg Presents: Back To The Future: A Robert Zemeckis Film: The Novel by George Gipe based on a screenplay by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale is actually longer than Steven Spielberg Presents: Back To The Future: A Robert Zemeckis Film: The Novel by George Gipe based on a screenplay by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale....more
Deanna
Really all you need to know about this book is from the description:

"In 1984, George Gipe was contracted to write the novelization of the movie Back To The Future. He was supplied with a screenplay still in flux, writing his novelization even as the movie itself was being rewritten and as major roles were being recast (Michael J. Fox was not the first person to play Marty McFly). Partially because of this, and partially because of Gipe's natural writing style, the novelization is coo-coo banana...more
Matthew
This is a lot of fun - it covers a little bit of film theory at the same time as deconstructing a dull novelization in a hilarious way. It's cribbed directly from the blog written by the author, so it's written in a very blog-like prose. Lots of run on sentences and SUDDENLY BREAKING INTO CAPS BECAUSE OMG YOU GUYS!! Still, worth persevering through that, especially if you love BTTF, because it'll give you a whole new appreciation for that film too.
Andrew Perron
An excellent guide to how not to write a novelization, with interesting attention paid to the weird byways and incarnations Back to the Future took on its way to the screen. Honestly, the main thing it could use is more of those! Still, fascinating.
Sean Fallon
Fantastic, strange and hilarious book!
Joseph
If you love everything that is Back To The Future. Then I highly suggest reading this.
Jeffrey
I love love love BTTF, so this was well within my interests. The tumblr-style of writing doesn't really translate terribly well to being read as a book, but I got used to it after awhile.

Worth reading if you're a superfan, otherwise you should skip it.
Christopher
I was aware of this blog while it was happening, but decided not to read it at the time. I was happy to see it come out in Kindle format so I could read it all at once, and it was really a lot of fun.
Iara VPS
Ryan North's analysis of the theory of time travel in Back to the Future is reason enough to read this. If you like his work, you'll love this. If you don't know his work, try it!
Brendan Creecy
This book is amazing and hilarious. Ryan North continues to impress me with his humor and writing style. If you are a BTTF fan and/or a Dinosaur Comics fan, this is a must read.
Josh
Basically picking apart a terrible novelization based on some earlier version of the screenplay. Had me cracking up out loud when I was supposed to be sleeping! :D
Megan
I saw Back to the Future specifically so I could read this book, and that was a great decision. This is the funniest thing I have read this year.
Josh Newans
Fantastic. This had me lying in bed alone, bursting out into laughter.

I <3 Ryan North, and I <3 BTTF.
Matthew Bogart
This book has had me laughing to the point of tears repeatedly.
Megan
I rate this book 1.21 out of 1.21 gigawatts
Greg Stoll
Totally awesome!
Nate
Totally awesome.
Jordan Hoyt
Jordan Hoyt marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ryan M. North is a Canadian writer and computer programmer who is the creator and author of Dinosaur Comics, and co-creator of Whispered Apologies and Happy Dog the Happy Dog.

North grew up in Ottawa, Ontario where he studied computer science (minor in film) at Carleton University before moving to Toronto for his Master's degree in Computer Science at the University of Toronto, specializing in comp...more
More about Ryan North...
Adventure Time Vol. 1 Machine of Death: A Collection of Stories About People Who Know How They Will Die (Machine of Death #1) To Be or Not To Be: A Chooseable-Path Adventure Adventure Time Vol. 2 Adventure Time Vol. 3

“you know: CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF HUGS IS THE ENTIRE REASON I EVER ENGAGE IN ANY NARRATIVE, FICTIONAL OR OTHERWISE??” 0 likes
“Hey, McFly!" Has Biff returned??  No!  It turns out that Howard, George's neighbour, is there!  And he wants to sell him Girl Scout cookies!” 0 likes