Start by marking “The Winter Widow (Susan Wren, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Winter Widow (Susan Wren, #1)

The Winter Widow (Susan Wren #1)

Until Daniel Wren blew in like a tornado, sweeping Susan off her feet, and back home to Hampstead, Kansas--new bride of the small town's police chief. Ten days later Daniel was killed by a sniper.
Published April 1st 1992 by St. Martin's Press (first published February 15th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Winter Widow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Winter Widow

Nikki
I've been doing a project to read a mystery by an author new to me from every state in the Union. Since I'd already read lots of Nancy Pickard's books, I couldn't "count" The Virgin of Small Plains for my Kansas book. So I chose Charlene Weir's first Susan Wren novel, and I'll definitely be looking for more.

The book opens with a Kansas police chief investigating -- what? We aren't sure, and then he is murdered. We then learn that he's only been back from his honeymoon for 10 days, and that his n
Maddy
May 24, 2010 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2001-reads
RATING: 3.5

The two of them were cops, she in San Francisco and he a police chief in a small town in Kansas. Nobody would ever have predicted that they would meet and fall in love. And it’s for sure that nobody would have bet that Susan Donovan would leave her job to marry Dan Wren and move to that little town in Kansas. And who could believe that after only 6 weeks of marriage, Dan would be killed in the line of duty and Susan would convince the mayor that her nine years as a big city cop make h
Allison
Not a cosy mystery but something a little bit deeper in tone and storyline. Susan is not a mini-van driving soccer Mom solving crime in her spare time but a seasoned Police Officer from San Francisco who finds and marries the love of her life at a police convention and moves to Kansas to be with him. Six short weeks into their marriage Daniel, her husband, is killed and Susan takes over his job as Police Chief to solve his murder. Interesting details about breeding livestock and research into bo ...more
Lawrence
May 21, 2015 Lawrence rated it really liked it
I wonder why Charlene Weir isn't more famous. She wrote really good non-noir mystery featuring a likeable protagonist and an imaginable American scene. Plus she was good at the details of scenes and at believable, real dialogue. The Winter Widow flows and is constructed in such a way that I didn't want to put it down. I was lured from chapter to chapter. She was an astute and professional writer.

She and I went to the same church. She was so modest that I had no idea she was a writer. When she di
Jody
May 06, 2009 Jody rated it really liked it
I enjoyed my reading of Charlene Weir's The Winter Widow. Susan, a cop in San Franciso, met Daniel at a convention. Head over heels in love, she marries & moves in with him in rural Kansas. She feels out of place, but after Daniel is killed vows to not leave until after she finds his killer. I enjoyed the setting. As a native Kansan, much of this rang true. I could see how much the warm weather, big city woman would feel lost - both in the landscape and in her relations with the townsfolk.
Th
LJ
THE WINTER WIDOW - Ex
Weir, Charlene - 1st in series

Daniel Wren blew in like a tornado, sweeping Susan off her feet and back home to Hampstead, Kansas. The new bride of the small town's police chief became a widow ten days later when Daniel was killed by a sniper's bullet. Now city-slicker Susan is the new police chief, and finding her husband's killer is job one.

I enjoyed the concept and the protagonist. It's going to be interesting to see where the series goes.
Sep
Jun 28, 2015 Sep rated it really liked it
This is a good mystery by a writer I hadn't met before. I grabbed this book for a plane trip and was very pleased with the mystery. Susan, a San Francisco cop, has been swept off her feet by sheriff from Kansas named Daniel. Daniel is killed almost immediately after they get settled back home after their honeymoon, and Susan stays in Kansas to solve find out who killed him. The characters are quirky and the weather severe, but logic wins in the end.
Nancyk
Apr 22, 2013 Nancyk rated it liked it
I liked Daniel so much & they fell in love so hard & so fast for each other that it was depressing going forward. I didn't think it was right when she took over her husbands position either, I felt the story would of been better if his 2nd in charge had instead. Just because she is the main character didn't make it a given. And I was bothered when she said she couldn't remember what he looked like a couple of days after he died.
Scoozer
This book was a pleasant mystery. The lead character was tough, but weak ankled (she sprained her ankle at least three times during the 250 pages--not sure why). Written in the 90s, it was a bit dated. The entire book I kept thinking, "too bad they don't have a cell phone." But other than that, I liked it. I rate it a C+.
Mary Sue
Jul 26, 2007 Mary Sue rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
I love a good fish out of water story. This first of a series offers us a San Francisco cop transformed into a small town Kansas housewife. With in two months of ther arrial in Kansas her police cheif husband is killed. Widow Susan applies for his job and sets about solving the crime. Amazingly she decides to remain in Kansas.
Patty
May 02, 2009 Patty rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. Having a new husband dies "in the line of duty" is tough, taking on his job and finding his killer is even harder, especially when they target you next.

I'll keep reading this series, Weir makes Kansas feel real and yet gives an outsider view of it (the new Chief of Police is originally from San Francisco, transplanted to her husbands home, a small town in Kansas).
Dale
Aug 14, 2009 Dale rated it really liked it
ill bk 1st in series tight and fast moving Kansas small town married 6 weeks and her husband the sheriff is hsot and killed-- Susan a former police officer from SFPD ask to allowed to takeover her husband job-- she is aloowed for a short term basis
Diane
Sep 17, 2009 Diane rated it really liked it
Only married a few days, someone killed Susan's husband the police chef of Hampstead, Kansas. Susan was a cop and was not leaving town until she found her husbands killer. Nice read.
Debby Johnson
another great book four stars
Efs
Book 1.
Kim
Oct 18, 2013 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction
good enough to look for a sequel right away. Bob wanted to read it when I finished which is rare.
Julie
May 11, 2014 Julie rated it liked it
Great book from a first time author.
Suzette Kunz
Jul 07, 2009 Suzette Kunz rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
A series of mysteries about a woman police chief in Kansas. Very well written.
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2013
Colleen Young
Colleen Young rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2012
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2013
April Acton
April Acton rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2017
Kendra Kiracofe
Kendra Kiracofe rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2014
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2010
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Dec 21, 2012
Meghan
Meghan rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Donna Crowther
Donna Crowther rated it liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2009
Paula
Paula rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Charlene Weir was born in Nortonville, Kansas. She grew up in Hutchinson, Kansas. After graduating from nurses' training she attended the University of Oklahoma and worked as a public health nurse. She is the creator of "Susan Wren", police chief in Hampstead, Kansas.
More about Charlene Weir...

Susan Wren (7 books)
  • Consider the Crows (Susan Wren, #2)
  • Family Practice (Susan Wren, #3)
  • Murder Take Two (Susan Wren, #4)
  • A Cold Christmas (Susan Wren, #5)
  • Up in Smoke (Susan Wren, #6)
  • Edge of Midnight (Susan Wren, #7)