Start by marking “Memoirs of a Bad Dog” as Want to Read:
Memoirs of a Bad Dog

Memoirs of a Bad Dog

Bogart is in jail. He's been there before, but he never felt like he deserved it until now. Peeing on the carpet is one thing, but now he's killed a man. And it wasn't just any old man--any old man may have been forgiveable. Bogart killed Swifty's father, and Swifty is Bogart's human, so now he deserves his jail sentence. Now he deserves a death sentence. He's truly a bad ...more
Published August 2nd 2012 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (first published July 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Memoirs of a Bad Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memoirs of a Bad Dog

Véronique Tremblay
Sep 12, 2012 Véronique Tremblay rated it liked it
I was unsure what rating to give to this book...

Memoirs of a bad dog is basically about death and the fundamentals of life (good versus bad, life after death, beliefs, etc.). It was a very heavy read for me, as the topics are very serious and adulty, but it was told in a very interesting way. It did felt somewhat long sometimes (maybe because there seems to be quite a few episodes of backtracking along the story, kind of flashbacks and repetitions).

Thorough the book, you are following Bogart, a
Tredaran
Sep 19, 2012 Tredaran rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Loved this book! Having spent the best part of last month wading through a book which was at least 600 pages too long, I was desperate to get reacquainted with the joys of a good book. I was delighted when this gem landed on my doormat through a good reads giveaway. Although written from a dog's point of view, this is not a schmaltzy cutesy story of canine capers. Its cultural references owe more to the Shawshaank Redemption and the Lovely Bones than Disney and it keeps the reader interested thr ...more
Ronna
Aug 17, 2012 Ronna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: author-give-away
Books with animal narrators are growing in popularity these days, and I'm a great fan of the fun found from seeing life from a dog's prospective!!  This Is one of the best ones I've read!!

Curtis Moser has created an hilarious, philosophical, thoroughly
'dog'  narrator in Bogart, the long eared hound dog!  Have you ever considered that your dog might consider that the beautiful dog run you created for your favorite dog, may be called 'the jail' by your loving 'best friend'?

Bogart just wants to b
Charlotte
Apr 22, 2013 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
When I first read that Bogart saw something in color, I was afraid that this book would be filled with errors. Perhaps his seeing in color bothered me because I always wish my own dog could enjoy beautiful sunsets with me, but then I must remind myself that dogs don’t see colors.

Funny how I had not yet found it odd that Bogart had a well-formed philosophy of life and guilt over being a bad dog.

Remarkably the author was able to write a book this long from a dog’s perspective, making the reade
Laurah
Sep 16, 2012 Laurah rated it it was amazing
Don't let the title fool you. This book is an adventurous road novel. First of all, the writing is great. You can identify with the main character, Bogart, more than you can with your own dog. I really loved it! Bogart is both logical and hilarious. He wants to be a good dog, and have his owner, Swifty, praise him. Underdog is his hero, and he tries to do right. When he fails, he gives himself penance in the form of Alpo. Bogart is very male, but it's more funny than cliched. Also, there are som ...more
Lori Budd
Apr 23, 2013 Lori Budd rated it liked it
Overall, I liked this book. However, I went into it with the belief that it was going to be a cute read. A story of the "day in the life" of a dog by the dog. I absolutely LOVE the Bernie and Chet series, so I thought this would be along the same lines. It is not that type of book though. There are moments of laughter and bits of cuteness inside Bogart's mind- but there is a lot of tragedy also. I gasped several times while reading the book. The book is well worth the read, however be aware of t ...more
Janice
Feb 16, 2013 Janice rated it it was amazing
Memoirs of a Bad Dog was a REALLY CUTE story. I felt I was actually INSIDE of the mind of Bogart! I would catch myself thinking, "I wonder if dogs really think this or that" or when I was really deep in the story line I would think to myself "Wow! I didn't know that!" I would have to remind myself that dogs don't really talk or think like that...do they??? Definately a good book for animal lovers AND even kids! Thank you Curtis Moser for sharing your VIVID imagination! And thank you Goodreads fo ...more
Lisa Clark
Sep 17, 2012 Lisa Clark rated it it was amazing
Great Story! I did a lot of laughing during it, and had to read parts to my husband, who also laughed. I do like books with a happy ending, so a bit disappointed at that, but I also know he (Bogart) is in a better place. I started this book right after church and I feel that it fit in perfectly with my day. I like how God was part of this. I think this would be a wonderful book for a classroom to read. I also know there would be issues of church vs state, but this was one wonderful story! Thank ...more
Diane
Jan 07, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing
A funny, sad, entertaining, serious, and totally endearing book. I thought it would be just a silly story, but it's anything but. The book addresses the cruel underbelly of dog fighting by heartless humans, but also great love and kindness and bravery and caring for one another. I will be thinking about it for quite a while, I'm sure.
Corey Moser
Aug 21, 2012 Corey Moser rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. This is all done from the dog, Bogart's, perspective. There were several laugh out loud moments. I especially liked the religious dogs at the Rooster church and Bogart's perspective about bottled fruit. Don't pass this one up. It is currently free on Amazon for kindle.

Danette Hansen
Sep 25, 2012 Danette Hansen rated it really liked it
Curtis is talented! Writing humor is not easy yet Curtis does it with ease. His quick wit and colorful description keep you captivated through this creative dogs tale. The voice of Bogart is throughly entertaining, a very distinct and unforgettable character. Can't wait to see what other creative books Curtis will write!

Brenda Duel
Jun 01, 2014 Brenda Duel rated it really liked it
I read this partly from curiosity and partly to see if it was appropriate for my grandson. What a great book! It was like a game naming what Bogart was describing. The play on words was comical. It was also a roller coaster of emotions, and don't forget the adventure taken by Bogart, Ginger, and Snowball.
Sadie
Nov 06, 2012 Sadie rated it really liked it
I wouldn't ordinarily choose a book like this, because I am not an animal person, that being said I loved this book! It is hilarious, I laughed out loud on more than one occasion. In the end it is a book that I really identified with. Bogart wants to be a good dog so badly and I want to do my best as most do, we are all just trying to figure out how, and that is Bogart's story.
Diana Hershberger
Love dogs?

If you have ever wondered what your dog is thinking or feeling (or even if you think you know) this book is for you. I loved it, but there are a few sad parts. Tough those parts out. It is worth it. I loved it.
Joan
Mar 15, 2016 Joan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful, humorous, good dog book!

Bogart is the best story teller I've ever read, I laughed right or loud so many times while reading his story.
Just a fun book with a messages.
Kathey
Apr 15, 2013 Kathey rated it really liked it
Very cute, and a little sad, but sweet.
Barb
Feb 07, 2016 Barb rated it really liked it
I read this book yesterday. The dog is telling the story and he talks to other dogs and I enjoyed it, but their is awful dog fights so some people would not want to read it.
Traci
May 30, 2013 Traci rated it really liked it
This was a quick read that deals with some dark issues in a sweet and humorous way.
Vickey Burnsed
Feb 13, 2016 Vickey Burnsed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good dog

Not a bad dog at all.... The best dog in the whole world....at times funny, at times sad... well worth your time reading it.
jgyweniverel
Sep 15, 2012 jgyweniverel marked it as to-read
Shelves: wish-list-book
I would LOVE to get a grab on this book to read!!!!
Rebecca
Jun 18, 2017 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-free
Creative. Parts of it I didn't care much for but kept going anyway. Tear-jerker ending.
Thomas Lerner Sr
Nov 02, 2016 Thomas Lerner Sr rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A waste of time.

Cleverer

Interesting for about 20 pages then the same thing over and over forever. Do not bother it does not get better.
Ngdecker
Apr 06, 2014 Ngdecker rated it liked it
Shelves: e-book
I really liked this book when I started it. It was a little "earthy" at times, but also funny. Since it was told by the dog, it really made me laugh. However, the story itself turned very dark. I finally decided about halfway through that I couldn't continue reading it. Too many bad things had happened and it looked like more were about to happen. Since I can't stand not finishing a book - I changed my mind and tried to skim through the rest. By the end it got better and I enjoyed it again. But ...more
Paakhi Srivastava
May 15, 2014 Paakhi Srivastava rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, animal-love
This book was light, fun read, written from the perspective of dog trying to prove his loyality and undo a mistake against his human companion. The author did a fair job indeed n I liked how Bogart (the protagonist) evolves from being a meek domesticated dog to the a determined and courageous fighter. I am not too diverse in my likings across genres, so far my biased goes, this one gets two star. For doglovers it is a recommendation :)
Valerie Downs
If you are looking for a feel good book, move on.

First off let me say that I chose this book because I have owned and adore Bassett hounds. I found the author's descriptions of the breed very accurate and humorous. Having said that, not all animal lovers will enjoy the dark side of this book, regarding animal abuse, torture and fighting. The author is clearly very talented. But for me this book was one I wish I had not read.
A. Lieberson
Sep 15, 2012 A. Lieberson rated it liked it
An endearing tale.
Melissa
Sep 16, 2012 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: read-kindle
This book was really cute to begin with but I was ready for the ending about 3/4 of the way through. A little bit more drawn out than I wanted.
Cathy
Mar 15, 2013 Cathy rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle-books
This may have turned out to be a good story, told by the dog, but I couldn't get past the beginning - maybe about 12% of the book. Just not enjoyable.
Joan Thompson
Sep 01, 2012 Joan Thompson rated it did not like it
Never finished this book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Fuzzy Logic (An Alpine Grove Romantic Comedy Book 2)
  • Driving on the Wrong Side of the Road
  • Groomed (Going to the Dogs #2)
  • Sasha Extraordinary Dachshund
  • Who's That Dog? 35 Fabulous Rescues That Found Their Forever Homes
  • Dogs Aren't Men
  • Dog Aliens 1: Raffle's Name (Dog Aliens #1)
  • Legends of Scythia: The Secret Keepers
  • Ella in Europe: An American Dog's International Adventures
  • You Are a Dog: Life Through the Eyes of Man's Best Friend
  • The Woof in the Wedding Plans (Silver State Romance, #2)
  • Remembering Judith
  • The Bark Before Christmas (A Melanie Travis Mystery, #18)
  • Cupcakes, Paws, and Bad Santa Claus (Annie Graceland Mystery #4)
  • Implicated
  • Redemption: The Myth Of Pet Overpopulation And The No Kill Revolution In America
  • You Know You Are A Dog Lover...
  • Phoning It In
Curtis Moser studied creative writing at Utah State University and lives in northern Utah. He pays the bills by working the night shift at a cheese plant, and writes so that he doesn't have to pay a therapist.
More about Curtis Moser...

“Mom said to me, “You can’t control how things turn out. It’s what’s in your heart that matters most.” 1 likes
“For every pound of joy, there is a pound of sorrow.” 0 likes