Start by marking “Dragon Fate (War of the Blades, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Fate (War of the Blades, #1)

Dragon Fate (War of the Blades #1)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  348 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Dragon Fate, the debut novel by J.D. Hallowell, is a heroic fantasy adventure in the classic tradition of the genre. Delno Okonan is a young former soldier eager to put the swords and strife of war behind him, when a chance encounter leaves him inextricably entwined in a tangled web of dragons, magic, and intrigue, as he struggles to find his place among dragons and men, a ...more
Published June 30th 2012 by Smithcraft Press (first published December 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Fate, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
J.D. Hallowell It's not a cliffhanger.

Jamie
You've got to love this author, and if you haven't read all of his books you are really missing out. The Dragon Fate series is one of the best indie fantasy series I've ever read. J.D. Hallowell has a wonderful way of describing his characters and worlds. You feel as though you are immersed in the story! You'll love how Delno meets his dragon, how they become close, and how he inherits his magical powers. You'll also be impressed by the level of description that also avoids the lengthiness of tr ...more
Chris
Delno doesn't know what to do with his life. He's an ex-soldier who doesn't have any job related skills. He just doesn't have any idea what he would like to do. Then he meets a dragon.....

I love the premise, and as the story unfolded it just got better. Loveable characters, fun magic and and a story that moves well. J.D.'s style of writing is much like Anne McCaffrey's; not a lot of hair-raising moments, killing or bloodshed; but a smooth, more realistic and enjoyable adventure. I am looking for
Sadie Forsythe
I wonder if it is possible to have slice-of-life fantasy (or fantasy slice-of-life). Either way, that is essentially what this book is. A man stumbles upon a dragon and then goes on his merry way, eating, drinking, traveling, camping, occasionally talking to people, and learning about the care and upkeep of a dragon. It rolls along this peaceful path for a good 80% of the book (and I read it on a Kindle so it was actually 80%, as opposed to a generic long time expressed as 80%).

The anatomy, soc
Kelly
I was given a copy of Dragon Fate to review by the author, in exchange for providing an honest and objective review.

When I read the overview of Dragon Fate I was immediately intrigued. It sounded fantastic, and I was pleased when it did not disappoint. It is a modest length, and appropriate for its genre and content. I felt the pacing was spot on, I never got bored with the story, and I never felt rushed. Furthermore, the details never contradicted themselves and in such an extensive new world,
Becca
This book took me on an adventure filled journey full of magic, intrigue and excitement. Overflowing with likeable and believable characters, Hallowell successfully depicts a traditional fantasy story that I thoroughly devoured in just a few days. Delno, a humble young man finds himself face to face with an old and pregnant female dragon and is immediately thrown into the world of the revered dragon riders, magical individuals blessed with longevity, unrivalled strength and a unique companionshi ...more
Robert Evert
This is a terrific book. Solid story. Wonderful writing. Terrific characters. What I really enjoyed most about it was that the characters, particularly the dragon, had very rich personalities that felt real to me. I highly recommend this book for anybody who likes thoughtful fantasies.
A.L. Butcher
I liked this a great deal although I did find it a little slow to start, however once the story got going it was good. The relationship between the dragons and the Riders is interesting and something I have not encountered before. Touching in many ways the magic between the two species is well described and not over done.

The main character is thrown in at the deep end and the story is an interesting journey of who and what he is and his relationship with his dragon, his comrades and others aroun
Jeffrey Poole
4.5 Stars!

Delno is a decorated veteran of war who is trying to determine his place in society when something happens that changes his life forever. He encounters a wounded female dragon and learns he has been chosen to "bond" with the dragon's unhatched baby.

What follows is a meticulous, well thought out adventure where you, the reader, get to experience the baby dragon's hatching, upbringing, training, and all the struggles the two of them endure as they both cope with learning what being bonde
Adam Tritt
If you are a fan of Fantasy and dragon-lore, it would be hard to go wrong with Dragon Fate. Written in a style that slips by smoothly, you will soon be along for the journey before you know it. Action, adventure, and, of course, dragons. You will not be sorry for downloading this.
The Literary Connoisseur
Dragon Fate is an exciting and adventurous read. One that'll keep you at the edge of your seat wanting more. I'm very excited and enthralled to start J.D. Hallowell's next War of the Blades book, Dragon Blade!
Ch'kara SilverWolf
I truly loved this book. It has everything a good fantasy quest needs. It has romance, intrigue, adventure, Elves and magik.

It is a testament to the author that his incredible knowledge of dragons has brought this story to life. I love a story that has me feeling as if I am a part of it and I was not disappointed. I could feel the wind on my skin as I soared through the air upon the backs of dragons.

Delno is a strong character, with a humbleness that endears him to you while at the same time bei
Sam Kasbrick
I...just...can't...go on...
I tried. I really, really tried to finish this book! I just can't. I just stopped at the 46% done mark, and honestly I'm surprised I even made it as far as I did. The book failed to capture my interest, and this far deep into the book, I don't feel it's worth any more of my time. When I got to around page 25, I thought about stopping, but decided to press on. Then, around page 75, the baby dragon hatched from the egg so I figured it was going to pick up...so I kept goi
Jeremy Menefee
Dragon Fate by J.D. Hallowell is the first book in the War of the Blades trilogy. It bills itself as a “classic example” of a heroic fantasy adventure, and details the seemingly-chance encounter between a dying dragon and an aimless young man that results in the birth of a dragon who bonds to the young man. Together, the young man and baby dragon grow and develop in skill, knowledge and power – just in time to save the world.

The cover is excellent and evocative. The author’s style is relaxed and
Scott
Dragon Fate by J.D. Hallowell is an excellent fantasy novel. I actually read this book twice before writing my review and that isn't something that I do all that often due to the length of my TBR list. I'll have to say that I enjoyed the second reading immensely and easily see this series getting multiple more readings (the second book is just as good) in the future.

I really like the main character Delno. He is just a good guy and tries to do the right thing to the best of his ability. He is a
Lynda Bester
Kathryn E Manson
Dragon Fate is at times slow.......but, ........

Dragon Fate is at times slow.......but, ........ that is just to make sure that the hook is in tight to reel you in. When the book took a turn to the fast track it held me so tight that I couldn't put it down. What a wonderful book it is, I can't wait to read the next installment. I think after all the things that J.D. Hallowell has done in his life, he has finally found his true calling.

Justin
Dragon fate was a very good read, one of the hardest to put down that I've read in some time. The characters are well written (nothing to gush about but well written), the story was very well thought out and is what set this book apart in my eyes over other dragon fantasy books I've read, the author does a good job of altering from the normal path that dragons take in this type of book and was enjoyable for me to read. The only draw back to me was the end of the book seemed to just get cut off o ...more
Selena Lang
Excellent first novel. The characters were well rounded and fun to read about. I really enjoyed this one and look forward to the next.
Chris Bullock
I enjoyed this book - it was an easy read, but had enough intrigue, information and occasional twists and surprises to keep my attention. The birth and growth of the dragon was instructive and inspired. The initial style takes a very instructional form, which I felt a bit strange to start with, but this soon developed as the story progressed. Because the story-line was fairly light, I felt occasionally that there was a need for further deep or emotional involvement with the characters or the plo ...more
Lisa Williamson
Mar 14, 2013 Lisa Williamson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of dragons
I started this book and put it down before I should have. It is a little slow to start but once it gets moving you will find it is a good tale. While there is just too much minutia for a five star review from me the characters are rich and the story is compelling. I liked the relationships that evolve as the hero learns his role as a new dragon rider.

The villain of the piece was a little cliche but that was only because he is not the main villain I believe. This first book clearly is leading us
Karen
I liked this book a lot. I loved the detailed descriptions of dragon lore. I will be reading the second book in this series.
Dick
Apr 27, 2013 Dick added it
I loved it.
Brandon Fedie
If you picked up this book: put it down and pick up Eragon instead. The first two thirds of the book felt like a really boring Eragon. The only thing saving this book from a one star rating was the last third.

The Good:
The last third of the book was actually good (barring the ending). When the protagonist was in actual danger for the first time and nearly died, I found myself enjoying the book.

The Bad:
Most of the first half of the book is boring dialogue and dragon-raising. In Eragon, we got to s
Brokendrum
The book presents with an interesting idea, the life of a Dragon, in which the Dragon actually has character instead just being the usual object or obstacle to be bested, as is seen in most fantasy.

However - and this a is a truly massive however, of dragon size proportions - the book is just plain terrible. Leaving aside the grammatical issue that are prevalent to an extent far beyond the normal (and often sub-normal) self published fare; the book feels like it is trying to cram as many fantasy
Mean Jane
I'm a little surprised (okay, suspicious) of the amount of 4-5 star reviews. Do...they not see how many of the dialogue tags aren't punctuated correctly? Or that there's outright missing punctuation within the first few pages? Because it's kind of hard to miss.

Or is it a tit-for-tat deal?

There may be a good story in there (I was hoping for one. I'm such a sucker for dragons) but even a casual glance shows this is in need of editing.

No official starred rating because I don't do that on samples.
Rachel Wright
Dragon Fate would be a good beginner book for someone that is relatively new to dragon lore. The author details the basics of the genre nicely by wrapping them in a short story of a young dragon & new rider making a name for themselves. The reader well-versed in the realm of fantasy fiction, however, may find the story slow-moving & simple. Still, it is an easy read & entertaining...
Chanel
This book was okay. Would I read the next book: maybe not. The book was filled with a lot of explanations and not enough action. I could skip parts and still know what was going on. The hero was predictable, but likable. The dragon was much more likable and was well described.
Tyler McAllister
I'm very easy to please but this is one of the most disappointing books I've read. Very, VERY, cliche, nothing original, and a complete lack of depth. I bought both books because of the 4+ star review from Amazon but I won't read the second...
Gunnar
I'm lost in the massive info dump of the first few chapters. So is my interest. Sorry, but not coming back.
Daniel J. Weber
The Good:
Hallowell definitely thought a lot about this book before and during the writing process. The highlight of and primary content in Dragon Fate is watching a dragon growing up. Throughout this journey the reader has to opportunity to learn about dragon anatomy, biology, chemistry, culture etc. Dragons being present in a fantasy novel is nothing novel (oh noes! The puns!). Mostly, however, they are involved mostly like any other non-character object would be in the world building process.

A
  • The Light Beyond the Storm Chronicles
  • Thread Slivers
  • Beyond the Veil
  • Red Gone Bad
  • In Siege of Daylight (Compendium of Light, Dark & Shadow, #1)
  • King of Ashes (The Longsword Chronicles, #1)
  • The Five Elements (The Alchemancer #1)
  • The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin, #1)
  • The Shadow of Black Wings (The Year of the Dragon, #1)
  • The Innkeeper's Son (The Harven Legacy, #1)
  • Blood and Steel (The Cor Chronicles, #1)
  • The Pale Hand of God (The Paruus Histories, #1)
  • The Winds of Khalakovo (Lays of Anuskaya, #1)
  • The Guardians (The Restoration Series, #1)
  • High Moor
  • The Healing Spring (The Inner Seas Kingdom, #1)
  • First Chosen (Tears of Rage, #1)
  • Song of the Fairy Queen
I'm a 50-ish father and husband who is fortunate enough to have lived an interesting and active life. I've had one two-book fantasy series, War of the Blades, published, and I have several other fantasy and SF projects in the works. I like to keep many irons in the fire at once, so my work experiences include such diverse occupations as automotive mechanic, cowboy, photographer, psychiatric tech, ...more
More about J.D. Hallowell...

War of the Blades (2 books)
Dragon Blade (War of the Blades, #2)