As You Wish (Rock Stars in Love, #1)

As You Wish (Rock Stars in Love #1)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Love doesn’t always follow the sheet music . . .

This Christmas, Portia Jackson needs a miracle to save her family’s generations-old florist shop. What she gets instead is a car that breaks down during a blizzard. Help arrives unexpectedly when the infamous Aubry Riley pulls over. She only expects him to drive her to the gas station . . . she never expects that kiss. But Po...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Elyssa Patrick (first published September 3rd 2012)

Becs - Sinfully Sexy Book Reviews
This is a nice contemporary romance debut from Elyssa Patrick.

Aubry Riley, mega-famous rock star, widower and father is driving home on a dark desert Vermont highway to join his sister who is caring for his 6 year old daughter for Christmas. He is flagged down by a young woman, Portia, whose decrepit old car has conked out on her on the side of the road. He stops to help and drives her to the nearest store to wait in the warm. There is an instant attraction between them and the story goes from h...more
ratherread
4.5 Stars!!!

I really loved this Rock Star Romance. The characters are endearing and the love story is beautiful. This book has a little humor, a little angst, a little tragedy, a little erotica and a lot of heart. This is Ms. Patrick's debut book and she did a wonderful job. I plan on reading all the books in this series, so write on Ms. Patrick!

Judi
I loved the cover of As You Wish as soon as I saw it. It’s sexy, I love their expressions and they are a gorgeous couple plus the blurb sounded really interesting. Rock Star celebrity meets small town girl and the sparks fly.

Unfortunately Aubrey’s a bit of an ass - ok he’s a big ole douchebag throughout most of the early part of this book and he's the first to admit he's a grade A jerk and I'll give him he's got cause. He’s certainly closed himself off to all relationships including close family...more
Mandi Schreiner

The debut book by Elyssa Patrick features a very famous rock star hero, and a heroine who owns a floral shop in Vermont. All Aubrey wants to do is get to his sister’s lake house near Burlington before it snows too much and the press catch onto where he is. His six year old daughter awaits, as does some quiet time where he can hopefully start writing music again. Six years ago his wife died in a car accident, leaving behind an infant daughter and much pain for Aubrey. His dabbling in drugs turned...more
Jess
I stopped at 42% and am DNF'ing. I truly can't stand Aubry. He's an ass, he belittles the heroine and then has the nerve to call her names when she won't accept his apology. I like the supporting characters well enough, but not enough to keep reading about Aubry.
Tiffany Clare
I absolutely adore this book. The characters are real, and the story is fantastic and it stays with you a long time. You'll be wanting to gobble up Elyssa's future books!
Lady Lioness
I liked this book because Aubry, the hero, is an asshole and he knows it. He owns his asshole-ness. While he does try to become a better father, his personality pretty much remained the same. Aubry is also a drug addict & an alcoholic and it's handled very matter-of-factly. It's there, it's part of who he is, but he's been clean for five years now and it's not in the forefront of his life. He's more concerned about reconnecting with his daughter and salvaging his music career. Aubry knows pr...more
Guilty Pleasures
Slick's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

4.5 Stars

I so love finding new authors to read, I especially love it when an author I already read and enjoy recommends a book for review. So first, I must thank the lovely and talented Tamara Morgan for suggesting I read As You Wish by Elyssa Patrick. Secondly, I must thank Elyssa herself for writing a truly engaging, humorous, and steamy novel. I’m especially excited because this is her first book and for a first book it is well written, has good charac...more
Emily
Rock Star Aubry Riley arrives in Vermont wanting to start a new leaf with his six year old daughter. His reputation as a bad boy is not far from the truth, he has earned whole heartily everything said about him. When he stops to help a stranded car on the snow covered road, he doesn't quite know how to read the flighty blonde woman and her quirky behavior.

Portia Jackson's life is not going as plan, she is about to lose her shop that her family worked hard to build and now her knight in shining a...more
Luisa
This author showed great promise. The plot line and the characters are interesting and entertaining. However, the dialogues didn't resonate with me much, and I think the book lacked clarity on the development of the relation between Portia and Aubry and about Aubry's past. In one part it says that Aubry did drugs for one year, and had to take control of his addiction when his sister threatened to take his daughter from him. Then in another part, the author presents that Aubrey had been battling...more
Jenn
This read like a Beauty and the Beast modern day story. At times I felt it was ridiculous and other times there were parts that felt immature. Too many times Shakespeare and Jane Austen and random superhero nicknames came in to play as well as Disney and Fairytale names. I felt like the author tried to pull out all the obvious stops in to this book.

The stops being:
abuse, rags to riches, a gay interracial couple, the girl who LOVES the wrong guy who never notices her but his brother loves her an...more
Stephanie Collins
Although at times I wanted to kill both main characters, I really enjoyed this due to the dialogue.

Aubry is a ROCK STAR… he has hit bottom due to a personal tragedy plus his own self-destructive behavior. He's a bad boy who never has claimed to be anything else but… he really isn't a bad guy. Truly he isn't but dammit some of the stuff he says and does to the heroine made me want to kill him then kill her for not having a backbone to tell him to take his attitude, sexy self and everything else a...more
Alexia Chantel
3.5 Stars

As You Wish is a delightful debut. The characters are fun and real, making you feel like you are reading about your friends. The plot is cute and full of things you may find yourself doing.

Aubry is a great character. The rocker who lost, survived drugs and alcohol, is working at repairing his bridges, and is ready to grab onto his second chance at love. He is also sarcastic and funny, the kind of guy you want to rescue you from the roadside.

There are a few editorial errors, but easy eno...more
Monica
Not liking the male lead until almost the end of the book put a damper on this one for me. Aubry was a JERK to his daughter and that was a big turn off for me. I liked Portia and her family, but honestly found myself wishing the story had more about side characters Finn & Laura. The first thought in my head after I finished: "Eh."
Gwen Hayes
I love rockstar books!!
Shirley Frances
3.5

This is one of those books that grabbed my attention from the synopsis but started losing it somewhere along the way and then grabbed it again.

Aubry is a rock star in need on a break to clear his head and find his muse. He lost his wife 5 years ago, went through a rough patch and wants to make amends to his daughter and his sister. Portia is a flower shop owner, who does not do one-night stands, but runs away at the first signs of love.

Like I stated before, the synopsis of this book really...more
Melody May
On What I'm Reading http://sillymelody.blogspot.com

The past couple of days I have been reading As You Wish by Elyssa Patrick. I have to say I was impress with the story for being a debut book. I actually really enjoyed it.

My Overview:

Aubry Riley a rockstar trying to put his life together again. Especially, since he fell apart after his wife Zoë died by a drunk driver six years prior. Picking up the pieces of his fragile life, he decides to fix the relationship between his daughter and sister.

P...more
Christina Montminy
This was a fantastic book. I was captured at the beginning & held all the way through it. Aubry & Portia are wonderful characters. He's a down on his luck rock star needing to make a come back after winning the battle over drugs & alcohol & his depression over his wife's death 6 yrs earlier. He meets Portia a small town flower shop owner who is trying to keep her business going that has been in her family for yrs. She has car trouble in the middle of a snow storm & he stops o...more
Kara
Review posted at: http://bookcrushbookreviews.com/2013/...

Rating: 4 stars

We're along for a ride in this book with Portia and Aubrey. Portia and Aubrey both have their hang-ups that are holding them back from chances that would make them happier and live a fuller life. When these reasons are accepted and they both take their life by the reins, it's one of my favorite parts. The build up in the story was perfect and the angst had me turning the pages. I cried at the sentimental moments because Ely...more
babyfishmouth
2.5 Stars

I love the premise of this book: Rich, disillusioned rock star reluctantly falls in love with optimistic, small town girl.
They meet during a snow storm and he rescues her from the side of the road. He notices that she smells like peonies and peppermint. That's right. Peonies. Because every world famous, former drug addict rock star can easily identify the scent of peonies. Little odd, head scratching moments like this are fairly frequent in the book and diminished the appeal. The heroi...more
Katie
Oh, I don't know. I really liked this beginning of this book, but, as I feared, that feeling didn't last through the whole thing. One problem were there were too many subplots. And I LIKED the subplots, but there wasn't enough time for any of them, so they got resolved way too quickly. I was really hopeful for the secondary romance when the hints of it started, but that in particular was wrapped up WAY too neatly.

The central romance started off really great. I liked that Aubry came off as a real...more
Connie Whitfield
Really cute story! Aubry, a selfish rock star, stops to help Portia, a damsel in distress. Portia's car broke down and Aubry soon discovers that if you give it a chance, love can still heal broken hearts, broken families and broken relationships. Nicely Done!
Kate Meader
This is a very cute contemporary romance with a rock star hero and a girl-next-door florist. Nice and easy writing style with shots of humor. My only complaints were that the hero is a bit of a douche through the first half and the heroine lets him away with murder! I also wasn't a fan of the overly-precocious daughter/moppet but all the other secondary characters were very nicely written. Cute secondary romance as well. I'm looking forward to the next book.
Kat Morrisey
I really liked this book though I was a bit surprised at the secondary story line involving Laura. That seemed to come out of the blue and resolved quickly...(I would have loved for her to have her own book! Okay, I know, I should be greedy!) I also would have liked to see more interaction between Portia and Roxie (especially given the end and the epilogue -won't say more than that cause I don't want to spoil it here.)

Full review to come soon!
Tori  smexys_sidekick
A quirky, sexy, humorous romantic contemporary between a lost rock star and a small town florist. While I found the story an easy read with a healthy balance of emotional conflict and soul searching...I thought the hero was a jerk. An angry, narcissistic, jerk whose avoidance of issues cause him to blame everyone but himself for his problems.
Ann Sheiring
I read the description of this book and was so excited to read it, a Christmas story with a bad boy rock star. Well Aubrey was a sad excuse for a man and Portia was just silly. I couldn't like either character and there was no depth to the writing. The book was just a below average romance novel, I was hoping for more and didn't get it.
Grace
At the end of the day, I just wouldn't recommend this book to anyone. I found it really dull and difficult to will myself to read. Nothing much happens really and I found the Portia's (the protagonist) life was just so boring it brought down my opinion of the book as a whole. Not one I'll be reading again.
Wendy
Another book I really wanted to love but it was disappointing and all over the place. It jumped in and out of other characters lives in the book it was so random, but I feel the main issue is the author just could not connect with her main characters so neither do the readers.
Saskia 'follow my shoes' Smith
Its very basic for a rock star romance,its got a decent story line and nice characters in it. Just disappointed that the ending seems unfinished, that was the only let down, as no follow on book for these characters was never released., so that makes the ending poor.
Theresa
Although I love the story of Aubrey & Portia this book has one of my pet-peeves in spade. The cute kid that's only there as an accessory. Doesn't act like a kid, doesn't sound like a kid, but is supposed to be his main purpose in being in the town to begin with.
  • Dangerously Close (Adrenaline Highs, #3)
  • Operation Cinderella (Suddenly Cinderella, #1)
  • Rock My World
  • The Rancher and the Rock Star
  • Marry Me
  • He's No Prince Charming
  • Colors of Love (Speed, #2)
  • Back to the Good Fortune Diner
  • The Summer He Came Home (Bad Boys of Crystal Lake, #1)
  • Finding Home (Brookfield Series #1)
  • Love of a Rockstar
  • Access Restricted (Access, #2)
  • Falling Star (Earth Scents, #1)
  • Carolina Home (Dare Island, #1)
  • Undercover Professor
  • The Morning After
  • Precious Embrace (Embrace, #2)
  • Rock Star's Girl (A Hollywood Dating Story, #1)
Elyssa Patrick is a former high school English teacher who left the classroom to write contemporary romances and New Adult. She is currently hard at work on her next novel.
More about Elyssa Patrick...
Stay with Me (With Me, #1) One Hit Wonder (Rock Stars in Love, #1.5) Everything You Desire (a short story) Four Weddings and a Break Up While It Was Snowing: A Novella