Start by marking “Pet Food Nation: The Smart, Easy, and Healthy Way to Feed Your Pet Now” as Want to Read:
Pet Food Nation: The Smart, Easy, and Healthy Way to Feed Your Pet Now

Pet Food Nation: The Smart, Easy, and Healthy Way to Feed Your Pet Now

A Must-Read for all Pet Lovers

For decades, dog and cat owners have depended on popular commercial foods to keep their beloved animals well-fed. Until 2007, when the national pet food catastrophe left pet owners scrambling for an alternative to mass-quantity, factory-produced food.

How can you break away from your reliance on the commercial pet food industry? Pet Food Nation
Published July 3rd 2007 by William Morrow Paperbacks (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Pet Food Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pet Food Nation

Kattie
Jun 06, 2008 Kattie rated it liked it
My dog had gotten sick after starting a new bag of his supposedly premium dog food. I put him on a bland diet, got him back to normal and started feeding the kibble again. Got sick again after a day and a half. I had also been having a hard time getting him to eat anything. He liked the "bland diet" better than any kibble I had ever given him. He likes the feeding methods and foods recommeneded in the book, he looks and feels good, and the book is written by a vet dietitian. I feel more ...more
Erika MacDermaid
Mar 07, 2008 Erika MacDermaid rated it liked it
What did I learn? That we feed our animals crap. And that we are doing them a disservice to their natural instincts by feeding them commercial pet food. The author if the book is totally against commercial pet food and recommends preparing a fresh variety consisting of proteins, grains, and dairy. Unfortunately, if you are a busy person with a family, it would be difficult to cook 3 meals a day for your animals. It's not a bad idea though, maybe I will try feeding them a few of the recipes they ...more
Angela
Mar 26, 2009 Angela rated it it was amazing
I've been simultaneously reading several books on pet nutrition, and this is the first I've finished. The is clear, to-the-point, and incredibly well written.

Ms. Weiskopf makes clear distinctions between dietary needs of cats and dogs, which other books don't. Cats are obligate carnivores, where dogs are omnivores. It's a big difference in diet.

The book is easy to navigate: you can find which common foods are toxic, what to look for in commercial food, or recipes for making your own food for yo
Dan Gentle
Sep 15, 2013 Dan Gentle rated it it was amazing
This book is great. It really explains the dangers of feeding your pet commercial pet food and why you should switch to alternative food sources, such as cooking it yourself. After reading this book 3 years ago, I stopped buying commercial food for my dog and started making her food. She loves it! She doesn't go on hunger strikes anymore, her stools are consistent, and she has maintained a very healthy weight.
Terri
Oct 06, 2009 Terri rated it really liked it
Lots of great information in this book if you're looking to move your furry family to a more aware way of eating. For my boys, given their age, I think the change might be too much to deal with and might do more harm than good at this point. I am going to try adding more healthy proteins to their diet where I can and incorporate any changes they can tolerate.

Definitely a book I'll be looking at from time to time.
Carleen
May 24, 2008 Carleen rated it liked it
Picked this up to see if I should change my older dog's diet. The answer is yes, I should add some variety as she only gets dry dog food. The author's a believer in home cooking your pet's food, which I'd do if I had time, but there's also quite a few practical ideas for improving a pet's diet.
Patricia
Dec 16, 2008 Patricia rated it liked it
Why you probably don't want to feed your cat or dog commercial pet food. My guess is, that if you read this book, you will start looking for other sources of food for your pet.
Lee
Jul 24, 2008 Lee rated it really liked it
a disturbing look at how the industry makes dog food. also some good recipe suggestions for homemade dog chow.
Christina
Dec 04, 2009 Christina rated it liked it
informative and got me to actually change what I was feeding my cats. Good grief I had no idea what went into food for animals untilI read this! Yuck!
leah
leah rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2007
Ashley Silver
Ashley Silver rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2012
K.C. Shaw
K.C. Shaw rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2012
Shannon
Shannon rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2009
Heidi
Heidi rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2013
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2008
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2011
Claudia
Claudia rated it it was ok
Dec 25, 2007
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2011
Julie Hendricks
Julie Hendricks rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Kathi
Kathi rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2010
Wayne Eury
Wayne Eury rated it it was ok
Jun 24, 2008
Cat
Cat rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2012
Judy
Judy rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2009
Grant
Grant rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2010
Brandi
Brandi rated it it was ok
Mar 05, 2015
Deborah
Deborah rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2007