Start by marking “Soul Meaning (Seventeen #1)” as Want to Read:
Soul Meaning (Seventeen #1)

Soul Meaning (Seventeen #1)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  69 reviews
‘My name is Lucas Soul.
Today, I died again.
This is my fifteenth death in the last four hundred and fifty years.’

The Crovirs and the Bastians. Two races of immortals who have lived side by side with humans for millennia and been engaged in a bloody war since the very dawn of their existence. With the capacity to survive up to sixteen deaths, it was not until the late fourte
Paperback, First Edition, 420 pages
Published July 12th 2012 by AD Starrling (first published February 5th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Soul Meaning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Meaning

Pippa DaCosta
Soul Meaning is high-octane novel filled with guns, explosions, car chases, rocket launchers, and awesomeness.

And swords. Because who doesn’t like swords?

Fans of Highlander (more the TV series than the films) will enjoy this.

Two immortal families have been battling for centuries. Lucas Soul is caught between them. As a half-breed (born of both families. Immortal. With a curious gift for being able to kill his own immortal brethren), he keeps to himself and tries to stay out of their way. But wh
Jola
What an amazing book. The reader is hooked from the start as A.D. Starrling don't hesitate to drop us in the middle of action.
The supernatural world created is one that you will not forget easily. An idea of immortals that can die after they experienced their seventeenth death is fascinating.
The mystery of the book also keeps you on the edge of your seat, as we slowly uncover why the Hunters want to kill Lucas Soul, the main character. Most of the plot twists were done so well that I hadn't an
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
This was a nice little gem. Reminds me a lot of Highlander in a good way, but has a different edge to it. I wish the action scenes were less repetitive and more detail with the sword-fighting, but otherwise a good action/adventure novel.

Reviewed for Bitten by Books. http://bittenbybooks.com.
Anachronist
Synopsis:

Lucas Soul…an immortal like no other. He’s been hunted and despised for centuries just because he is a ‘half-breed’ – born of a Bastian mother and a Crovir father, apparently a major boo-boo among both immortal factions. He’s been shunned and forgotten – mostly. His seventeen shots at death have been serving him well enough to keep him alive and kicking unitl modern times. Now the years of relative peace and quiet are coming to an end.

All of a sudden Lucas finds herself mercilessly chas
Meigan
First and foremost, this was one of those books where I started it, set it aside without finishing, formed my opinion on how I thought it was going to be. I then got the idea to buy it for my husband since it has many things he likes from movies - cars, action, international intrigue and espionage. Now, my husband isn't an avid reader. He's got many a hobby, books are probably the last thing on his list of "fun things" (he's slowly crossing over to the good side, though). For him to pick it up a ...more
Yzabel Ginsberg
(I got an ARC of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. Since this was an ARC, please note that it might still undergo a few changes before publication.)

One thing I should say from the start is that Soul Meaning would probably make a terrific movie: packed with action, flying bullets, underground treads in secret passageways, a conspiracy that could have a horrible impact on the whole world... A real page-turner.

I especially liked the setting. From what I could see, and
Lis Carey
Lucas Soul has a problem. There are people who are trying to kill him, and they've just succeeded--for the fifteenth time.

There are two immortal races, the Crovirs and the Bastians, who share Earth with humans. They were at war with each other for millennia, until an uneasy truce was reached at the time of the Black Death. But one thing is still absolutely taboo: intermarriage, or more specifically breeding, between Crovir and Bastian.

Lucas Soul is the son of a Crovir father and a Bastian mother
Shari Kay
3.5

What a wild ride. This was one of the most action-packed books I've ever read. I'm surprised anyone survived at all. Good thing most of the characters are like cats with nine... err seventeen... lives!

Throughout this book you have absolutely no clue what is really going on. But neither does Soul. He needs to find out why he's being hunted before they kill him... permanently.

Soul and his human friend, Reid, face incident after incident as they try to figure it all out. I mean, back to back t
Julius Butcher
The concept of the story is compelling, it grabbed my attention. A book about immortals? Count me in for reading. The way these people are immortal is awesome. They can die, but they resurrect and their wounds heal quickly. (Though, it bugged me why exactly sixteen times. Why was it the seventeenth death that was fatal? But it's just me, taunting.) It made me think what would be the life like if I knew I can survive my death.

The plot was well crafted. Lucas Soul got in the crossfire of two immor
Monica
This review was originally posted on Avid Reviews:

Soul Meaning is a paranormal thriller that feels more like an action movie than an urban fantasy. In fact, I would be hesitant to classify this novel as fantasy, even though the main character and many of the secondary characters are immortals.
The story is from the point of view of Lucas Soul, an immortal who is a half-breed between the two different types of immortals. He is the product of ill-fated star-c
Jade Kerrion
Soul Meaning, A.D. Starrling's debut novel, launches a high-octane paranormal thriller. The protagonist is immortal, Lucas Soul, the offspring of two warring immortal races, the Bastians and the Crovirs. who have spent the last several centuries in an uneasy truce. Immortality, however comes with caveats. Lucas is only immortal until his seventeenth death and he does tend to attract trouble--the type of trouble that carries guns and a grudge.

Together with his human chain-smoking partner, Reid, L
Kriss
What? Died? Part immortal? Half Breed? Man-hunt, a threat to millions… wait a gosh darn minute! This reads like a bloody season of 24 but with a supernatural twist… no no no not Supernatural, well not really, these guys are not angels, vampires or zombies.. of course there is a character that reminds me of Cas and also one that reminds me of Crowley but only because of the snark and attitude.

But let’s get down to why everyone I know should seriously pick this puppy up and read it! Well, all of t
Shelley Fletcher
it took my awhile to read and write a review. ... wished I would've done sooner. ... this book captured me from the 1st chapter. ... if you had used 16 lives and you had one more...how would we live. ..hmmmm... and the crows I really wanted there to be a real twist to them and there was. .. why would crows come at time of death and where do they take you. ...I know...this book was very fast paced but there was a lot of unanswered questions hopefully to be answered in book 2 of the series. To des ...more
Sarah G
Jul 03, 2014 Sarah G rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who love action and adventure
This book was amazing! I felt like it was Bourne Identity, Mission Impossible, and immortals all rolled into a better package! Lucas Soul is a complete rule breaker "do as I think is best" type guy; which comes as no surprise since he has had to be on the run for a majority of his life. His "half-breed" status has not made him many friends so he keeps a mainly human existence. When Hunters start coming for him and upsetting his somewhat quiet life he and his partner fight back and want answers. ...more
Henry Lazarus
AD Starrling has an exciting chase tale filled with car crashes and massive gun fire. There are two clans of immortals, both who die for real after seventeen deaths after revival. Lucas Soul is a rare half-breed of both families, the Crovirs and the Bastians. Even though both clans are infertile since the Red Death of the fourteenth century, Lucas has been hunted by both sides for his first few centuries. He’s working as a private eye with an ex-cop, and human partner Reid Hasley when a potentia ...more
Carrie Mansfield
*An E-Arc was provided through Net Galley for fair review*

If The Wizard and the Rat typifies the kinds of problems that make people wary of self-published titles, than Soul Meaning is a good example of how self-published fare can and should be given a look by the broader reading audience.

Soul Meaning is an action-thriller with urban fantasy elements. Lucas Soul is immortal, and his fellow immortal brethren are trying to kill him and the central mystery of
Marjolein
READ IN ENGLISH

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I received a free copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Soul Meaning, the first book in the new Seventeen series, starts of intriguing...

‘My name is Lucas Soul.

Today, I died again.

This is my fifteenth death in the last four hundred and fifty years.’

Sounds good. What follows is an action packed urban fantasy with some sightseeing in Europe on the side.

I quite enjoyed this debut, the writ
Johnathan
Non-stop action!! A thrilling ride with well drawn-out characters and a fascinating plot! I cannot wait for the next book in the series!!!

Won this off of goodreads first reads.
Ashley Tomlinson
This was a fast paced, thrilling ride. It was an amazing read that captured my attention from the very beginning. It was filled with immortals, violence, mystery and science all wrapped up with a pretty bow on it.

Lucas is an immortal, a half breed immortal. He is being hunted but he doesn't know why but when escaping from being killed lands him on FBI's wanted list, he begins to look into it. Along with his friend Reid, they have to travel the world searching for the answer behind all these atte
Judy Goodwin
A popular trend for indie writers is to offer the first book of a series free, as a way to hopefully draw readers in. I picked up this book because of the premise and the first line, “My name is Lucas Soul. Today I died again. This is my fifteenth death in the last four hundred fifty years.”

So that’s a great opening set of lines. Totally hooked me.

As I read deeper into this very long (420) page book, however, I found it harder and harder to continue. There was plenty of action. Actually, there w
Kerry Bridges
The Bastians and the Crovirs are families of immortals who have been at war for hundreds of year. Lucas Soul is a half breed - one of his parents was from each immortal family. Someone doesn't like that and everyone wants to kill him - the trouble is, he only has one death left!

This book begins with Lucas Soul's penultimate death and continues pretty much in the same vein; at breathtaking, breakneck speed and without a great deal of time for nuances. If you like explanations of fighting and viol
Ashley Chen
If you love Supernatural, or Grimm, Person of Interest, Nikita or anything of the sort, you will LOVE this book. The book started like no other. It completely captivated me; imagine sneaky little arms coming out of the book and pull you into the book...yup. I felt I was thrown into a live action film with bullets flying right past me. My sympathetic nervous system was going crazy.

But really, I haven't felt this attached to a book from the very beginning since I read Hunted by Cheryl Rainfield. I
Layna B
Soul Meaning is a supernatural thriller that is jammed packed for of non-stop action. From the very first page, it draws the reader in. It immediately grabbed my attention and it continued till the very end. I was really surprised by how amazing Soul Meaning was.

This book is about Lucas Soul who is an immortal half-breed. His parents were murdered before his very eyes just for having him and being traders to the Crovirs and Bastians. Soul is a private detective along side his mortal friend, Rei
Maghon Thomas
I’m
thinking this story is BRILLIANT!! I say brilliant because it’s
like the nerds meet the action hero meets the paranormals! I am
quite taken by how much I enjoyed this book- also by how many times
I almost dropped my reader because I was all antsy in suspense!!
Have you ever watched the movie “Across Enemy Lines”, where the
guys crashes his plane across enemy lines and runs for like two
hours to get safe? Well this book matches that action and suspense.
It’s amazing at how she connected words to mak
Ornella (Nyx)
3.5 Stars

This book was...intense. So intense I ended up exhausted and just wanted it to end. Even though I did want it to be over already I keept getting sucked in at every action scene, which is like 90% of the book, so that was probably a good thing.

This was one hell of a book. There was so much action it was ridiculous. I don't think anyone in the book slept for more than 2 hours straight. Good thing they are immortals cause I don't know how they would have managed all that. Speaking of which
Lunar Haven Reviews and Designs

Meera

I received a free (digital) copy of the book in exchange for a review.

The immortal Crovir and Bastian races have been at each other's throats for centuries. So, when Lucas Soul (a half-breed) finds that half the immortals want him dead, Lucas and his best bud Reid bomb their way through Europe trying to figure out why.

Soul Meaning is very much a plot-driven book. I usually have a preference for books that are slow paced, centred on world building and character development, but I actually quite
Jessica
I loved this book! I was immediately drawn into the world of the Immortals that AD Starrling has created. Bastians and Crovirs are two races of Immortals that have been around for centuries. They were once bitter enemies that tried to annihilate each other during a sort of race war, but have been upholding an uneasy truce for some time. Until now, it seems.

Fast paced and well written, this book had everything that I love best about a new series: interesting and well developed characters, a soli
Satarupa
I got this book from the author, free of cost, in exchange of an honest review from my side.

Firstly I would like to thank A.D Starrling, author of Soul Meaning, for giving me this wonderful opportunity of reading and reviewing this precious book.

Wow, that was an awesome experience and I really enjoyed it a lot. It's a great book with awesome plot line and well developed characters as well.

The action sequences are really great to experience and it really spiced up the story and took me into a dif
Mark
Surprisingly I actually enjoyed Soul Meaning by A.D. Starrling. Despite it being told in first person, a narrative I'm not that at all fond of, the characters and plot were actually interesting to read about, and made up for it. It's because of this, I have no problem rating it five stars, and can't wait to get started on part two of this series.
  • Trainland
  • Spirit Binder (The Cascadian Chronicles #1)
  •  Vodnik
  • The Curse Merchant
  • Hero For Hire (Eno the Thracian)
  • The Shepherd
  • The Sundered
  • Altdorf (The Forest Knights, #1)
  • Blood Guilt (Blood Hunters, #1)
  • Foresight (The Gods of Fate, #1)
  • The Moon Rises (Gigi Monroe, #1)
  • Silver Knight
  • The Sibylline Oracle (The Oracles #1)
  • Desire by Blood (By Blood, #1)
  • Pure & Sinful (Pure Souls, #1)
  • The Princess of Dhagabad
  • The Castrofax (The Father of the Fifth Age, #1)
  • Legend of the Chosen (Destiny's Kingdom #1)
A.D. Starrling is the author of the award-winning action thriller series Seventeen.

Born on the small island nation of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean, A.D. came to the UK at the age of twenty to study medicine. After five years of hard graft earning her MD and another five years working all of God's hours as a Pediatrician, she decided it was time for a change and returned to her first love, writing
More about A.D. Starrling...

Seventeen (4 books)
  • King's Crusade (Seventeen #2)
  • Greene's Calling (Seventeen #3)
  • Ashstorm (Seventeen #4)
King's Crusade (Seventeen #2) Greene's Calling (Seventeen #3) Ashstorm (Seventeen #4) First Death (Seventeen #0.1) The Hunger (Seventeen #2.2)