Start by marking “Sugar Rush (Sugar, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sugar Rush (Sugar, #1)

Sugar Rush (Sugar #1)

3.34  ·  Rating Details  ·  938 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Saucy, shimmering, loud and larger than life - come get your sugar fix! It's survival of the fittest at Ravendene Comprehensive - the terrifying teenage jungle for which Kim Lewis must trade her safe, posh private school. But help is at hand - in the unlikely form of the rude, raucous, toxic and tantalising Maria (aka Sugar) Sweet, queen of the 'Ravers'. As Kim falls quick ...more
Published May 6th 2005 by Young Picador (first published September 3rd 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sugar Rush, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sugar Rush

Reese
Dec 15, 2010 Reese rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
I find myself rarely saying this, but the television adaptation was far more engaging and charming. Otherwise as source material goes, it's a passable read.
Katie (Kitkatscanread)
DNF at page 100

It was just a boring story.
Ashleigh
Mar 15, 2010 Ashleigh rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
I can't help but feel a little disappointed with this. There was so much potential there for an amazing book - but I felt it was very 2D.

Kim, a 15 year old girl having to move from a posh all girls school to a co-ed hell hole, meets Sugar AKA Maria Sweet and just 'falls in love' with her. I use the phrase lightly, as it came over as more obsessive infatuation. It just made me feel a bit, I don't know, awkward I think is the best word.

I found the plot itself boring. Repetitive. Tedious. And any
Emily
Mar 19, 2011 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teenage-fiction
Linda
Apr 23, 2009 Linda rated it it was ok
The show is so MUCH better. I've forgone the sequel because the writing in this one was so bad.
Joanne
Jul 20, 2009 Joanne rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-contemporary
When Kim’s father makes her move from her posh girls school to the school fool of trouble makers. Sure she’s not going to fit in for being thought a snob, she’s surprised when Sugar, the most popular girl at school, befriends her. As Sugar leads Kim down the road of alcohol and drugs, Kim experiences things she never has before, including feelings for Sugar. Is she falling for her new best friend?

I’m so glad I never really saw the TV programme before I read this. From what I know of the programm
Kenya Liggons
Sugar Rush........... What can I say about this book? Well, a couple of days ago, I just got this book, and I really thought it was going to be good. My view from the time I got the book, to the time I ended the book, I was just like how come my view changed? The cover is very deceiving.... I don't typically read these types of books, but I did, because I am open to all kinds of genres.... Umm this book starts off with this character, named Kim. Kim is a fifteen year old high schooler, she has ...more
Ashleigh
Oct 18, 2014 Ashleigh rated it really liked it
Essentially, I loved this story and its message. My only complaint is the almost unbearable stamp of militant feminism -of the man-hating variety- that undercuts seemingly every turn of event throughout the whole book, to the point where it's obvious the writer is speaking, not the protagonist. This veered towards a loosely-veiled essay at times and it's only because of the 90s-early-2000s nostalgia and authenticity of every character that this didn't bother me so much.
In all, Sugar Rush isn't w
Rae
Oct 12, 2014 Rae rated it did not like it
tres retardataire. author claims it took only ten afternoons to write; it's a shame she didn't spend another afternoon editing
Nick Rowe
Nov 13, 2013 Nick Rowe rated it it was ok
In trying to write a novel for young adults on the topic of homosexuality and homophobia, I felt that Sugar Rush would be a good place to find the "line" which I'm not allowed to cross. I was disappointed.
There is pretty much nothing 'explicit' about this book. Yes, they smoke weed, drink and occasionally partake in sexual activity (which is never seen), but does that make it explicit, or does that make it reflect the culture today?
There are very few books on this kind of topic aimed at this rea
Rebecca
Jan 08, 2014 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-coming-of-age
This book is about a girl named Kim. She's 15 and going to a nice high school in Brighton England. She has one good friend and father and younger brother at home. Her mother, we soon discover, left with a young man. Kim is very confused her family is newly seperated so the household has changed. Her mother used to like to listen to lots of music and watch the television all the time. Her house was always noisy when her mother was home. Once her mother left her home became very quite and more ord ...more
Tara Calaby
You hear about this one a lot, possibly due to the TV show, so I had high hopes for it. Unfortunately, it just didn't meet those expectations for me. I wasn't really big on the style – while it was trying to be authentic, all the capslock started to get to me by the end – and I felt like the ending was completely unsupported by the text. (Actually, I felt like that with a lot of the plot.) More importantly, though, I found all of the characters (except for Kim's dad, perhaps) to be extremely unl ...more
Amy
Nov 03, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
I started reading this, then had to go back and start again because I'd put it down for so long. I really liked this book.
I liked how Julie Burchill wrote Kim, a fifteen year old girl who basically fell in love with her best friend and couldn't see past that. That's what its like when you are that age.
And Sugar, I kinda fell in love her myself. There is something about her that is kind of charming.
The book repeats itself a lot and it could get a bit boring in places, but I loved the characters.
Coffeeboss
May 23, 2009 Coffeeboss rated it really liked it
15-year-old Kim gets transferred from a private girls school to the scrappy high school that has a rep for housing the bad kids. Leaving her old bitchy best friend behind, she is now in new territory and falls under the wing of the bewitching Maria "Sugar" Sweet. Well, she actually falls into a mad crush on Sugar, who is gorgeous, tough, flirtatious, and hard to pin down. Though the book is a girl-on-girl first love story, and it has a refreshing sexiness to it, the story is more about class com ...more
Liralen
May 07, 2016 Liralen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, reviewed, lgbtq, ya, 2016
Deeply, distinctly 'meh'. What was the point here? To throw together a bunch of unlikeable, stereotype-heavy characters and let them run rampant across 278 pages? It's not even remotely a difficult read, but by the second half I'd (more than) had enough.

The one thing I do appreciate is the way Kim doesn't make a big deal of her attraction to another girl—she acknowledges that it's unexpected, but then she goes with it. There isn't any big coming-out plotline. But...I need a lot more than that to
Tobi Grantham
Dec 04, 2015 Tobi Grantham rated it did not like it
Shelves: lgbt-read
Apalling. The writing, especially coming from a known journalist was poor and entirely uninviting. Why this book is so popular I cannot fathom. I was truly looking forward to reading it and it was an immense let down.
Live and learn.
Stephanie Davies
Sep 16, 2014 Stephanie Davies rated it did not like it
Only about two thirds through but I already know this is the most casually racist, ableist and transphobic piece of trash I've ever read. I don't know how I expected anything different of Burchill.

UPDATE: It got worse.
Abbey Gray
Dec 03, 2014 Abbey Gray rated it it was ok
This book was pretty average. There were no exciting events happen and I didn't like any of the characters. Especially the main character who I found really annoying. It also felt like the ending was very rushed.
Katastrofekat
Nov 18, 2013 Katastrofekat rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult, fiction
It might have been becase I was reading a norwegian translation of this book, but something about the pacing of the book felt off for me and because of this the story didn't quite capture my interest.
Layla
May 12, 2014 Layla rated it it was ok
This was one of my childhood books. It deals with some issues around sexuality and adolescence. I remember enjoying, but I've definitely outgrown it.
Arizona Rollercoaster
Jan 26, 2016 Arizona Rollercoaster rated it did not like it
Shelves: queer
When I read this book, several years ago, I thought that it was interesting and it's left a definite impact on my life, but I can't quite tell you what it is. Looking back at it, the book pisses me off.
It's a horrible excuse for queer fiction, with no life changing wisdom to make up for it. All of the characters are bad people who probably have depth but are never presented with it and the plot is annoying in hindsight.
If you're looking for a good queer book at all, look away, because this book
Emma
Jul 26, 2011 Emma rated it did not like it
Shelves: book-break-ups
not for me so giving up DNF
Leah
Jan 30, 2013 Leah rated it it was ok
Explicit content my ass.
Cecilie
Feb 04, 2015 Cecilie rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
Lame. Hopeless.
Jun 25, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Channel 4 series ‘Sugar Rush’ when it was first aired on UK television so you can imagine my excitement when I discovered that the series was actually based on a book of the same name. I’ve had this book on my ‘to-read’ list for a while and I finally got around to reading it for my ‘S’ book for the SUMMER challenge.

I think, taken at face value, this book is really good. It’s just a small story about a teenage girl and her dealing with her sexuality with an added bit of teenage rebell
katie
Mar 19, 2007 katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: done-reading
...And now I've finished it. I'm disappointed, because it could've been fantastic, but it just wasn't. The feel of it's wonderful, the language is wonderful, but the plot's--well, patchy. Plus, and this is a little thing, but it confused me quite a few times--the same character can get called three different names (from the narrator's perspective) just on the one page. First line she'll be Clements, next paragraph she'll be Zoe, next paragraph she'll be Saint. Like I said, little thing but CONFU ...more
Georgina
Feb 16, 2014 Georgina rated it really liked it
4 Stars
I'm surprised at how much I liked this book. I think it's probably because I am 15 year old girl and it's showing this insight of confusing teenage life. It is rather a strange book which I wouldn't go sharing with my parents, with almost every page containing a few words in all caps. The story is not what caught me though; it was the characters perspective of being a teenager. Altogether, I was pleasantly surprised by it.
Jerrica
Aug 28, 2008 Jerrica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought that this was going to be another book about popularity. A book about the vain drama queen and her unassuming little sidekick. I was surprised. Kim is an interesting, constantly changing character. Sometimes that bothers me in books, but it was a nice fit for her. Sugar was a stunning but stupid girl, but you could see her struggles on grappling with life. Zoe AKA "Saint" was a bit of an unbelievable character. She was an amazing runner, a brain, and yet she smoked and well, did other ...more
Vanessa
Jun 19, 2014 Vanessa rated it really liked it
Quite an interesting take to the gay adolescent life. I found it quite repetitive and I sometimes wanted to shake some sense into Kim, but then everyone has to live and make their own mistakes. I liked the ending though, quite a twist.
Amanda Milburn
Jul 12, 2015 Amanda Milburn rated it it was ok
I have to agree with other reviewers: the TV version was much better. I found this book a little annoying, actually - I am increasingly losing my tolerance for teenage drama as I get older. Maybe that makes me a 'sadult'!
  • Happy Endings Are All Alike
  • Orphea Proud
  • Big Big Sky
  • I Kiss Girls
  • About a Girl
  • I Don't Remember You
  • It's Our Prom (So Deal With It)
  • Gravel Queen
  • Letters in the Attic
  • Secret Lies
  • The Summer of Love
  • Sparks: The Epic, Completely True Blue, (Almost) Holy Quest of Debbie
  • God Loves Hair
  • Always Mackenzie (Girlfriend Fiction, #4)
  • Love Rules
  • Say the Word
  • Talk
  • Love & Lies: Marisol's Story
Julie Burchill is an English writer and columnist known for her provocative comments. Beginning as a writer for the New Musical Express at the age of 17, she has written for newspapers such as The Sunday Times and The Guardian. She is a self-declared "militant feminist". She has several times been involved in legal action resulting from her work. She is also an author and novelist, her 1989 novel ...more
More about Julie Burchill...

“It was the flashing lights, and the noise of the machines, and the loud, loud music, all seeming to refract and contract around her, her eyes widening, her hair swooshing, her slow smile shining. She seemed an actual part of the place - all fun, all joy, all shimmery skittering energy.” 1 likes
“We sat there smiling at each other, shimmied to a standstill, thinking about all the boys that had wanted us that day, and how none of them had got us, not for a minute; how we'd let them pay for drinks and candyfloss and then run away laughing, their cries of 'Slags!' and 'Bitches' ringing in our ears like respect rather than derision.” 1 likes