Start by marking “Wilde Stories 2012: The Year’s Best Gay Speculative Fiction” as Want to Read:
Wilde Stories 2012: The Year’s Best Gay Speculative Fiction

Wilde Stories 2012: The Year’s Best Gay Speculative Fiction (Wilde Stories)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Prepare to skew your view of the world: where jinn in the clouds of a future Tel Aviv aren’t spirits but powerful computer programs; where a suburban garden hides unrecognizable bones; to a colony planet that outlaws color; or the night when a lonely lab tech finds a spambot flirting with him. The latest volume in the acclaimed Wilde Stories series has tales of hitchhikers ...more
Published 2012 by Lethe Press

To ask other readers questions about Wilde Stories 2012, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wilde Stories 2012

Gerhard
Dec 23, 2013 Gerhard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, short-stories
This is the first Wilde Stories collection I have read, sub-titled ‘The Year’s Best Gay Speculative Fiction’. There are only two ‘kind of’ SF stories here, both are about AI, with the bulk being fantasy and/or horror. Same have more gay content than others. No spaceships, astronauts or even aliens. Unless you count the weird bloke on the block as an alien.

Editor Steve Berman definitely needs to include a brief boilerplate explanation in each year’s edition to remind regular readers, and inform n
Hilcia
Oct 16, 2012 Hilcia rated it really liked it
Last year I loved the Wilde Stories 2011 anthology, so picking up Wilde Stories 2012: The Year's Best Gay Speculative Fiction edited by Steve Berman was a no brainer for me. In this year's edition, I again found excellent creative speculative fiction by favorite authors plus new-to-me authors whose works I'm going to explore in the future.

The anthology begins with an excellent introduction by Berman, followed by fifteen stories and showcasing the wide range and variety he discovered in gay spec
Clay Brown
Feb 27, 2014 Clay Brown rated it really liked it
Wilde Stories like its namesake is out there, vivid and not afraid of speaking or living the “Love That Dare Not Speak Its Name”.

In this case Gay Speculative Fiction, stories gathered by Editor Steve Berman of these Horror, Fantasy and Science Fiction stories. I started reading Mr. Berman’s Anthology of gay things that go bump in the night (or day) with the 2010 edition, and was impressed by its literary intelligence.

Speculative Fiction is very hard to do well, even without the gay part. So find
Randal
Jun 29, 2013 Randal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, gay, fantasy
Just delightful. It's often hard to review a collection of stories by a variety of authors. But in this case, diversity truly is its strength. A couple made me laugh out loud and at least one made me shudder with horror. I'm going to check out the previous years' collections.
Elizabeth
Sep 15, 2012 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
When I cracked the spine on this book I was not really sure what to expect as I have realized that the term and category of speculative fiction can mean vastly different things to different people. By the end of the the delightful and playful introduction/preface by the editor Steve Berman I no longer cared what the term meant, I was simply convinced I was indeed in good hands for an enjoyable selection of writing. The stories are an excellent blend of strange, scary, moving, and playful. I thin ...more
Mina MacLeod
Mar 24, 2014 Mina MacLeod rated it really liked it
Very good anthology, containing a little something for everyone. Also, there was a surprise trip back to Ellen Kushner's Riverside universe. More Richard/Alec is ALWAYS good.
willowdog
Sixteen imaginative authors treat the reader to journeys to swashbuckling days, other worlds, the future and the apocalyptic hell.
Kate O'Hanlon
Sep 10, 2012 Kate O'Hanlon rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, anthology
The Hit to Miss ratio of this anthology continues to be unusually high.

Standouts here are 'The House by the Park' by Lee Thomas, which contrasts a cosy domesticity with a creeping suburban nightmare that should be of interest to anyone who enjoyed Thomas's Lambda winning novel, The German, and 'The Duke of Riverside' by Ellen Kushner, which gives some back story sure to please Riverside fans.

Special mention too to 'The Peacock', a love story between a man and a spambot that is is both laugh out
Tyrannosaurus regina
I'm used to short story anthologies being more uneven than this—the quality of this collection is overall very high, and the variety of stories is remarkable as well. Well worth the read.
Andreas
Andreas rated it liked it
May 18, 2016
L.A.
L.A. marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
ZenithRV
ZenithRV rated it it was ok
Mar 14, 2016
Matt Zickefoose
Matt Zickefoose marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
Chrystal Giordano
Chrystal Giordano marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Meghan
Meghan rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
effie
effie marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Vye
Vye added it
Oct 25, 2015
Darren Mitton
Darren Mitton marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2015
Dan V.W.
Dan V.W. marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2015
Elisa Rolle
Elisa Rolle marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Shadowdenizen
Shadowdenizen rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2015
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Jun 05, 2015
Art
Art rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2015
Jack
Jack added it
Aug 19, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2015
Marron
Marron added it
Mar 10, 2015
George Chien
George Chien rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Lauren
Lauren added it
Feb 28, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Some tidbits about me...

I turned down a scholarship to Miskatonic University because I heard of the high rate of incidents against the student population.

I briefly worked for Omni Consumer Products in their Marketing Department. Great benefits, nice cafeteria, sadly too prone to executive whim.

Last year I stayed at the noted Mauna Pele resort in Hawaii. The accommodations were impressive but my tr
More about Steve Berman...

Wilde Stories (8 books)
  • Wilde Stories 2008: The Best of the Year's Gay Speculative Fiction
  • Wilde Stories 2009: The Year's Best Gay Speculative Fiction
  • Wilde Stories 2010: The Year's Best Gay Speculative Fiction
  • Wilde Stories 2011: The Year's Best Gay Speculative Fiction
  • Wilde Stories 2013: The Year's Best Gay Speculative Fiction
  • Wilde Stories 2014: The Year's Best Gay Speculative Fiction
  • Wilde Stories 2015: The Year's Best Gay Speculative Fiction

“Only so much truth can exist between two people until it becomes too much, and then they can’t bear to be around each other.” 10 likes
“You know, it’s how you feel about someone being really ill that tells you whether you love them. Not whether you enjoy sex with them. Or whether you’re faithful to them. The threat of death takes you to the heart of it.” 1 likes