Start by marking “The Silla Project” as Want to Read:
The Silla Project
read book* *Different edition

The Silla Project

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  83 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Finalist for the 2013 Eric Hoffer Awards, Montaigne Medal!

Mitch Weatherby was at the top of his game. A scientist at Los Alamos, he was married to the love of his life - until a botched government raid left his wife dead in his arms and him accused of constructing an illicit nuclear weapon in his basement. Though Mitch knows he is innocent of the charges, evidence says ot...more
Published August 2012 by PlotForge, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about The Silla Project, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silla Project

The Clearing by Thomas RydderEveryone Burns by John DolanStarshine by G.S. JennsenHeavy Duty People by Iain ParkeThe Liquidator by Iain Parke
Great Indie Novels
63rd out of 1,119 books — 1,415 voters
A Capitalist in North Korea by Felix AbtAlice in Wonderland by Lewis CarrollHowl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne JonesThe Howling Trilogy by Gary BrandnerTrain Wreck by Bennett Gavrish
books so cool i paid for it
4th out of 27 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Lisa Baird
Truly exciting! I learned much I didn't know about North Korea and it's society, while enjoying this gripping story. Really enjoyed and highly recommend this book.
Amber
Never thought about some of the issues in this book before, but it's a very intriguing book dealing with espionage and moral conflict. Has an unexpected twist in the plot and makes you really question some of your values, morals and ideas in general.
Terri-Lynne Smiles
I read suspense novels for their tight, well-conceived plot lines, but it isn't my favorite genre because the characters are usually flat and don't change much. Well, author John C. Brewer has blown that out of the water with his new novel, The Silla Project. This science thriller grips the reader from the outset with the despair of Mitch Weatherby, a Los Alamos scientist who has been wrongfully stripped by our government of everything he thought gave his life meaning. The reader will understand...more
Katherine
DISCLAIMER: I received a free copy of this book from the author (via the Shut Up & Read / Read It & Reap group) in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: Mitch Weatherby was just an average man. Due to government cutbacks, his career as a nuclear physicist had basically become a desk job. However, he enjoyed life, and especially enjoyed sharing it with the love of his life, Beth. That all ends when his wife is killed in a raid, and the subsequent cover-up by the government has left him...more
Jeffrey Miller
For someone who has been a North Korea observer the past 25 years—both as a writer and the instructor of a course on Northeast Asian Politics/History at an international business school in Daejeon, South Korea—I was keenly interested in The Silla Project. Although it is fiction and the product of the author’s imagination, the book does have its share of “Eureka” moments when the author deftly describes the North’s attempt to build a nuclear bomb. The author has clearly done his research—both on...more
Jill
North Korean operatives break an innocent Los Alamos nuclear-weapons scientist out of prison. He was the fall guy in an American government raid that went horribly wrong and left his wife dead. But is it worth his life to betray the country that betrayed him?

Sometimes you find love in the strangest places.
Good read! I wasn't sure about it at the beginning, but once I was into it I found that I didn't want to put it down. More interesting to me than the beginning of the story when he's convicted and abducted on his way to prison was life in North Korea... what completely crazy thing is going to happen next? In what other way do North Koreans have a totally wackadoo vision of the world? It is an unpredictable place, and it keeps your attention.

This novel really captures a lot of the things I rememb...more
Frederic (Ric) Vinhage
John Brewer
Sep 12, 2012 John Brewer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
If you are looking for something to scratch that Crichton itch, this may be it. I wrote The Silla Project based on an idea I had when I was working a SECRET missile task for the government some years ago. The Silla Project began life as a pure thriller focusing on the horror of nuclear weapons in the hands of lunatics. I hadn't researched for long when I realized the story wasn't bombs at all, but people. The North Korean people are not fanatical lunatics but are an agonizing study in what happe...more
Ed Morawski
First I'd like to congratulate the publisher PlotForge Ltd. on the eBook formatting. The Silla Project is actually arranged like a real book, unlike so many other eBooks the title and copyright data, etc are first instead of last. But unfortunately that's about as far as they went. There are so many typos, missing, and misspelled words it's hard to believe either the author or the publisher ever proofed it. I can overlook a few typos here and there, it seems to be all too common these days, but...more
Danny Bobby
The storytelling in this book is book is pretty solid. This book reads like a modern-day 1984, and some of the dialog is as sensational as Orwell's, but it only serves to illustrate the (outwardly apparent) fanaticism of the North Korean people for their government and nation. There's plenty of suspense and even a healthy dose of (bizarre) romance.

If I ever get around to building a library of actual books at home, this will definitely be on the bookshelf.
Dorothy Gagnon
Slow Start

This book started slow and extremely difficult to keep my attention. My first impression once the scientist was kidnapped and being taken to North Korea , is that some intrigue would be brought to the table.

Instead it continued slow and between the many complex and scientific nuclear words along with the North Korean names and places I found I couldn't continue reading with interest. This was just not what I expected.

Marco Peel
Convicted of a crime he didn’t commit, nuclear scientist Mitch Weatherby has just lost his wife and everything he believed in and lived for. On his way to lifelong imprisonment, his transport is assaulted by a group of armed men, and he is squirreled off to North Korea. Emotionally scarred and betrayed, Mitch tries to find a semblance of order and purpose in the only thing that still makes sense - physics - while he is set to work on the nuclear program of a nation he’d always seen as evil.
Autho...more
Alfredia Haynes
Really great book

There were so many twist and turns that I couldn't imagine if right would win or not. I could understand how the main character could feel that his country had betrayed him. I could also understand a little bit about how people in communist countries might be confused about "truth"?
Pamela Huffman
What do you believe

What do you believe

A very scientific look into the world of North Korea, a search for faith in a world that doesn't believe. A love story, a nuclear weapon and the fight for freedom. Nicely done book.
Bill
The Silla Project by John C. Brewer is one of the best thrillers I have read this year. I learned a ton about North Korea, although I'm not sure how much of is fiction and how much is real. I suspect much of it is real. The characters are well developed and you really feel for them as the story progresses to a not entirely unexpected ending. If I had any complaint about the book it would be that it ended before I wanted it to. Does this mean a sequel? I guess is no.
Terri-Lynne Smiles
GREAT BOOK! I love gripping stories about average people in extraordinary circumstances. This nailed that requirement and gave me something more - a glimpse into the secretive world of North Korea. It left me thinking not just about what I see in the headlines, but also how fragile freedom of thought actually is. If that intrigues you at all, READ THIS BOOK!
Iris Lee
Well written and researched. Chilling story that keeps you going.
Dixie
Dixie marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Maria
Maria is currently reading it
Oct 22, 2014
Repunzel
Repunzel marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Donna Fogelman
Donna Fogelman marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Brenda Seaberg
Brenda Seaberg marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Mleehall
Mleehall marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
John C. Brewer was born in Argentia, Newfoundland, Canada but moved constantly since his father was in the Navy. John grew up in New Mexico, Washington St., Virginia, and Florida and then went to Auburn University for college where he studied physics and aerospace engineering. Eventually he moved to Huntsville, Alabama where he worked as a rocket scientist.

A reader all his life, John writes novels...more
More about John C. Brewer...
Multiplayer