Start by marking “The Kind Mama: A Simple Guide to Supercharged Fertility, a Radiant Pregnancy, a Sweeter Birth, and a Healthier, More Beautiful Beginning” as Want to Read:

The Kind Mama will cover fertility, pregnancy, and post-pregnancy. In other words, it will help you get knocked up, have a goddess pregnancy and birth, and grow the healthiest, happiest child! I’ll be including valuable and inspiring information from doctors, friends, and other women (as well as a section for kind-dads-to-be) and, of course, my own journey through ...more
Published 2014 by Rodale

To ask other readers questions about The Kind Mama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kind Mama

Stephanie
Aug 27, 2014 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, baby, 2014
***Note: You do not have to be vegan to enjoy and appreciate this book!***

The Kind Diet was the second book I read before going from a hard-core meat/dairy eater to being vegan within two days - it's been two years, and I have never looked back! My energy has increased, I become ill with much less frequency, my blood work has been awesome, I went off several medications, and I lost almost 70 lbs. (Hello, red bikini!)

I have been really excited to read The Kind Mama as my husband and I get ready
Catherine
Jul 02, 2014 Catherine rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
Alicia Silverstone has generated a lot of online buzz: with her earlier books (The Kind Life and The Kind Diet) and her interviews on nutrition and parenting. (Her interview discussing chewing her food and feeding it to her baby went viral: I know a lot of moms who do that, they just won’t admit it!) Her goal in The Kind Mama is quite simple: to share her healthy, natural and gentle beliefs and practices on getting pregnant, experiencing pregnancy and childbirth, and raising your newborn.

This pr
Kristel
Despite being yet another celebrity-authored work (as if!), "The Kind Mama" has real value. If you're a vegan looking to conceive, are pregnant or want to raise your baby vegan, this book is absolutely for you. If you're a healthy eater, not necessarily vegan, who wants to avoid putting chemicals into her body and you are starting a family, this book is for you. Even if you're just a regular ol' lady who is ready to start a family, you will get something out of reading this book.

Silverstone writ
Rebekah
Jul 27, 2014 Rebekah added it
Shelves: i-own-you
A great book, very well-written and thoughtful. I will definitely recommend this book to any vegan or vegetarian or otherwise eco-inclined clients. That being said, this book does read like an advertisement for the authors blog- a few times specific brands are mentioned, but mostly the reader is just directed to Alicia's blog. That's all well and good for those who enjoy reading blogs- but the rest of us are left a little confused. I love the "kind" way, even some parts of the "attachment" form ...more
Stella
Jan 31, 2016 Stella rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, 2016
If you feel that parenting is overwhelming for you, a hard, dreary chore we often discuss among ourselves - read this book.
Light, airy, optimistic, joyful, not once did she make me feel like parenting has to be something that will make me awfully tired, moody, exhausted. She gave me a different perspective and for that reason alone, I recommend this book to all new parents.

I read so many parenting books with my first child and they all made me feel like I need to be in constant war and struggle
Feb 14, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
There are suggestions in this book that I thought were great and others that made me say, "Never! Never!!! NEVER!!!!" It is definitely inspiring to try to live a healthier life.
Lauren Read
Nov 13, 2016 Lauren Read rated it it was amazing
Good information and resources. Good organization and layout. Good communication and attitude.
I really enjoyed this book and will definitely be referring back to specifics as the timing is appropriate.
Thank you, Alicia!
Christine
This is Alicia Silverstone's book about eating "right" to prepare your body for pregnancy, then she walks the reader through all stages of pregnancy and the first months after having your baby. This book was a gift and there were some good takeaways in there.

I think every mother and father have to find the right balance of what works for them. Often I would read things in this book and think, "Hmmmm, interesting, but not going to work for us." There were also times when I read something and dec
Tammy
Dec 29, 2014 Tammy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, vegan, parenting
Oh man, I was all over this book! Alicia Silverstone's approach to being kind and trusting your parenting instincts were music to my ears. Americans are typically bombarded with messages about making our babies independent as soon as possible, and considering that my heart breaks when my kitties meow and want to come sleep on the bed with me, I can't imagine letting my baby cry it out.

She covers preparing yourself for pregnancy (cleaning up your diet and what to buy/not buy), pregnancy (clean ea
Tabitha Kieper
Nov 08, 2014 Tabitha Kieper rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Excellent for mamas and parents who want to raise children healthfully, simply, and kindly. Offers advice on "kind" fertility, pregnancy, birth, postpartum, and the the first few months of baby's life ("kind" meaning vegan and back-to-nature). While this approach will not be everyone's cup of tea, there are a lot of good take-aways and things to consider. Other notable inserts: birthing options (and finding the right birthing team), the family bed (co-sleeping), breastfeeding, ...more
Katie
May 18, 2014 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Wonderfully simple, common-sense type suggestions for "kind" living, pregnancy, and birth. I don't understand the other reviewer suggesting that it takes money to follow this advice; on the contrary, when you aren't buying formula, diapers, and all of the unnecessary baby junk that is targeted to new parents, you would save a TON of money. My only concern is that it would make expectations awfully high for a fully "blissful" experience, not touching (or touching, but lightly)on some of the ...more
Michaela Jaros
Aug 11, 2016 Michaela Jaros rated it it was ok
I mainly skimmed this book (it's rather large!), stopping for a section here or there that I thought may be useful. Overall, if you're a first time mom who's hoping to take a more natural approach to pregnancy and motherhood, you may find this read helpful; but if you're not a first time mom or already enjoy reading/researching what's best for you and baby, you'll likely be skimming.

Not being familiar with who Alicia Silverstone is, and given that the title doesn't allude to it at all, I found
Amanda
Jul 15, 2014 Amanda rated it liked it
This book was quick, enjoyable, and didn't push anti-vaccine agendas at me as I had feared. Much of the information was intuitive to healthy eating, but as someone thinking about children one day, it was nice to read an approachable guide to nutrition and planning for baby with a major take-away of: "you don't need lots of STUFF to make baby healthy and happy." That message is probably my favorite part of the book, as every "50 must-have things to welcome baby" list make my head and my bank ...more
Libby
Jun 18, 2014 Libby rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book though I am not pregnant, nor plan to become pregnant, nor have children already, and still, I found it to be extremely informative and an interesting read. If I were to have children, this book would be a bible for me. It really shows how to get a lot from your pregnancy, birthing and raising experience. How to have a green life and raise and green child. I felt more calm just reading it. I took things away I could use in my every day life and in my interactions with other ...more
Stephanie
Apr 07, 2015 Stephanie rated it did not like it
Could not get passed the vegan propaganda to enjoy this book. I like Alicia and her style in most other ways but the food section was wrong after wrong after wrong. I kept passing the book over to my husband to read the completely idiotic claims about how humans are not meant to eat meat! Insanity. You can choose what you want but it doesn't change the fact that humans are meant to eat meat. Doing otherwise is far riskier for your pregnancy and breast feeding, for it is essentially an experiment ...more
Alex
Jul 13, 2014 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I am not pregnant and will unfortunately not be having kids, however I still wanted to read this. I loved Alicia's first book, so I was interested in hearing her point of view about natural childbirth and parenting.

I think Alicia made a lot of really good points, and if I ever had kids I might put some of her ideas to use. There were some parts I didn't agree with, but overall you have to admire her for standing up for what she believes in.
Brooke Nicole
Aug 03, 2016 Brooke Nicole rated it really liked it
Alicia Silverstone is a beautiful person inside and out. I had the opportunity to hear her speak in April 2015, I promptly bought both of her books. I love to hear about how other people raise healthy vegan families. She has some eccentric ideas about how to live, but most of her tips I found intriguing. It is always good when you surround yourself with a tribe, or people that have similar beliefs and lifestyles. For vegan mammas, this is a good place to start learning.
Kerry Parker
Aug 06, 2015 Kerry Parker rated it really liked it
Alicia does another great job. I loved The Kind Diet, and though I am not vegan, I completely love the way she embraces the Earth and life in general. She is an inspiration for sure. Some ideas of hers can be a bit much...but her mind and heart is in the right place. Recommend to anyone trying to be happy, healthy, and peaceful in his/her life. We are simply not made to eat meat every single day. Yuck.
Katie Dawn
May 16, 2014 Katie Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: loved, vegan
Oh, what to say about this book. Don't get me wrong, it was good. Great, even. I plan to buy it when I become pregnant. That being said, there was a lot that I didn't agree with. To each their own right? For someone who has the time, and the budget to make this way of life work, more power to ya! But that's just not me. Either way, she's clearly an excellent mother, puts her family first, and has some excellent advice on how to fall in with, and protect your new life. It's worth a read!
Jessica
It wasn't a total waste, but I'm glad I went library instead of amazon on this one. It's a bit preachy about being vegan, and then suggests that eating vegan will solve (almost) all of your pregnancy problems. Apparently, that's what "Kind" is about in the title, but there's no way to know that based on the description, cover blurb, or contents page.

The other information was fairly good, though nothing stood out that I haven't already seen in other places, such as Fully Fertile.
Brendan Ingram
Apr 06, 2016 Brendan Ingram rated it it was amazing
My wife read the Kind Mama and Kind Diet books, and loved both of them. We love the natural approach to life, birth, eating etc, but we are very well researched (no, Google alone doesn't count as research), and we found Alicia's writing to be up to the task. It was well researched, well written, and had a fun and gentle feel to it. Very refreshing and very uplifting.
beth
Jan 06, 2015 beth rated it really liked it
Shelves: motherhood
Alicia Silverstone has some strong, sometimes controversial opinions, but she also has a sense of humor about herself. I'm not sure I could ever commit to an entirely vegan diet, but I appreciate the wisdom in this book.
Megan Jensen
Jul 19, 2015 Megan Jensen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
different view then the typical expectant mother book. It gave a great look into the "clean life", vegan life, and provides some great food options/alternatived to get through the many joyous moments of being pregnant.
Genevieve
I'm not a vegan, so I skipped over most of the diet parts, (although I do agree that a diet full of veggies is hugely important!) but I enjoyed the rest of this book. A lot of it was info I already have learned, but nonetheless, it was an informative and quick read.
Jalice
May 28, 2016 Jalice rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
Personally, I found it preachy and pretentious. I felt a constant my-way-or-the-highway undertone throughout each chapter. While much of it is indeed well researched advice, it didn't offer options and it left single parents and low income families in the dust.
Sara
Jul 23, 2014 Sara rated it really liked it
I'm not going to become a vegan anytime soon, but there's a great vitamin reference guide and interesting ingredients that I've never used and would like to try....and if nothing else, inspiration to throw sugary, packaged boxes in the trash.
Shelby
Sep 04, 2014 Shelby rated it really liked it
in preparing myself for the journey, i have found this guide very empowering. it's everything ive dreamed of for my adventure and it solidified my plan and dissolved all of my concerns.
Michelle
Sep 09, 2014 Michelle rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
Not the most practical pregnancy/parenting book but it is always smart to have background info from multiple perspectives in order to make the best decisions for yourself and your child :)
Kayla
Aug 22, 2014 Kayla rated it really liked it
every mama to-be should read this book! What a fantastic perspective on treating yourself with love before you can take care of anything else!
Andini Haryani
Sep 02, 2014 Andini Haryani rated it really liked it
Fantastic book. It has a calming effect on pregnant women such as myself. Lots of great info for both vegans and non vegans, pregnant, not pregnant or trying to get pregnant. An absolute must-read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Vegan Pregnancy Survival Guide
  • Becoming Raw: The Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets
  • The Ayurvedic Cookbook
  • Baby Knows Best: Raising a Confident and Resourceful Child, the RIE Way
  • A Postcard Memoir
  • In Her Kitchen: Stories and Recipes from Grandmas Around the World
  • Mayim's Vegan Table: More than 100 Great-Tasting and Healthy Recipes from My Family to Yours
  • Cookin' Crunk: Eatin' Vegan in the Dirty South
  • How to Retire the Cheapskate Way: The Ultimate Cheapskate's Guide to a Better, Earlier, Happier Retirement
  • The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good!
  • Telling: A Memoir of Rape and Recovery
  • Chronic Resilience: 10 Sanity-Saving Strategies for Women Coping with the Stress of Illness
  • Diet Recovery 2: Restoring Mind and Metabolism from Dieting, Weight Loss, Exercise, and Healthy Food
  • The Path of Practice: A Woman's Book of Ayurvedic Healing
  • Health Food Junkies: Orthorexia Nervosa: Overcoming the Obsession with Healthful Eating
  • The Artful Vegan: Fresh Flavors from the Millennium Restaurant
  • Vegan's Daily Companion: 365 Days of Inspiration for Cooking, Eating, and Living Compassionately
  • The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen: Nourishing, Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery
Alicia Silverstone is an American actress, author, and former fashion model. She first came to widespread attention in music videos for Aerosmith, and is best known for her roles in Hollywood films such as Clueless (1995) and her portrayal of Batgirl in Batman & Robin (1997).

In 2009, Silverstone released The Kind Diet, a guide to vegan nutrition.
More about Alicia Silverstone...