Start by marking “Barkbelly” as Want to Read:
Barkbelly

Barkbelly

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  23 reviews
One silver-starry night, a shiny, wooden egg falls from a flying machine high in the air . . . down, down, down through the midnight sky . . . down to the small village of Pumbleditch, where Barkbelly is born. Where he’s the only wooden boy. And where he’s the cause of a tragic accident.

Suddenly, Barkbelly’s only choice is to flee for his life—to run. As he tries to escape
Published February 25th 2009 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Barkbelly, please sign up.

Amanda
I’m pretty sure I read about this one over at Pixie Stix. She has it tagged “Quirky and Hard to Define.” That it is. I enjoyed it, though. It would make a great read aloud- the epic quest for self-identification is moderately episodic, keeps you wondering what will happen next, and has great character names like Candy Pie and Farmer Muckledown. I liked it so much that I immediately picked up the companion, Snowbone, but it was too much of a good thing. I think I only got through the first chapte ...more
Shauna
babyhippoface
Barkbelly is a wooden boy living in the human world. When he accidentally kills a playmate, he runs away and eventually begins a quest to find others who are like him. Along the way he gets a job in a factory, spends time as a human cannonball, and faces pirates. Though wooden, Barkbelly expresses thoughts and feelings quite human as he struggles to find a sense of belonging, faces consequences for his actions and challenges to his values, and begins to understand the importance of forging relat ...more
Mohammad711
This book so far is one of my favorite . But the ending could have had been better. I really liked how each time he ran away from one place to another there was a new story. And in the end all of the stories connect into together into another story. I wish it ended happily with him with his parents instead of ending it with him go back to his fake parents.
Barkbelly had to go through so many problems throughout the entire book. First he had to go through accidentally killing his friend. Then he w
Casey Noel
one of my favorite books from childhood...l literally think I've read this over 10 times...ha-ha. And I would love a movie adaptation for this book...but it's good enough that it doesn't really need one.
Nathan Burt
This book was a really good book, the reason I only am giving it three stars is because and some points in the book the story got kind of boring but the parts were there is a lot happening is was really enjoyable. This book is about wooden boy living in our world, When he accidentally kills his friend, he runs away and begins is journey to find where he belongs. Along the way he has some good and bad experiences.
Kevin
Despite the cleverness of the story, and the quality of the storytelling at times, this one never quite came together for me.

It felt like Barkbelly's story was patched together rather than a seamless whole. It has interesting characters and settings - and even a interesting twist that makes the ending more emotional - but the whole seemed less than the parts for some reason.
Turi
Heard about this book in a review of the sequel, Snowbone and thought it sounded pretty good. It's the story of a wooden boy, living in a wonderfully imagined world, and his struggles to fit in and find where he belongs. Similar in feel to another kids book I recently enjoyed, On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness. Can't wait to read the sequel, now...
Kathy
Started off reminding me of "Howl's moving castle", then moved to be the story of a good-hearted wooden boy in search of his "real" family. Simple sentence structure at first, yet advanced vocabulary by the end makes me wonder what age level this is aimed at.
Kate Forsyth
A wonderfully written, rambunctious adventure fantasy for children, Barkbelly also carries important messages about the importance of tolerance and compassion. I loved Cat Weatherill's earlier book Wild Magic which retells the Pied Piper of Hamelin fairy tale, and so I was really glad to read her newest venture.
Luann
I enjoyed this! I especially enjoyed Weatherill's lyrical writing style. The storyline felt a little choppy with Barkbelly never staying in one place long. He is a very likeable character, though. I was rooting for him the entire time. I'm going to add the companion novel, "Snowbone" to my to-read shelf.
Albert -Zairus Ice- Lorenzana
This has a very dark theme which tends to be pretty heavy on some chapters. What I like on this one though is how well the author presented the reality of life. There will be times when you are not welcome, you're misunderstood, lost, weary, but you have to move on, be strong and live life.
Paul
After finishing this book I noted, with no surprise, that the author is a performance storyteller. The book has a definite "fable told 'round the campfire" feel that I found engaging. A few of the characters could have used more depth, but all in all a nice little piece.
Madelén
I thought this was a beautiful, charming book, and I never got enough while reading it. I really felt Barkbelly's pain or happiness whenever, and I never struggled to understand what Cat Weatherill meant with her words. I would love to read it again sometime.
Rebecca
May 13, 2010 Rebecca added it
Recommends it for: Jenn Sechler
This was on our Fantasy display this month and I kept noticing the cover. I don't care for the title, but I started reading it and the prose begs to be read out loud. Probably because the author is a performance storyteller and this is her first book!
ymegrath
Another book that our 12 year old recommended to me. He read it a couple of years ago and loved it and has been asking me ever since to read it. I finally did and it was a good book!!! Full of kid-friendly suspense. : )
Lauryn
Jul 11, 2014 Lauryn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids, adults wanting a fun little book
Barkbelly is a fun little book about a wooden boy and struggles trying to find a place to fit in. His adventures include being a human cannonball, fighting pirates, and finding out where he came from.
Verdi
A wooden boy accidentally kills someone, runs away, and tries to find the island on which he was born.
Lily
I bought this for Gemma after seeing Cat Weatherill performing as a storyteller at our village hall.
RedEye_Witch
I had fun reading this book, even though it took me longer than my usual speed of reading a book.
A. Somers
Aug 26, 2008 A. Somers rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Students in grades 3-5
A cute fantasy story that was recommended by one of my students.
Englesia
Jul 15, 2008 Englesia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone and anyone
Recommended to Englesia by: Uncle Warren(for Christmas)
The most blessed and amazing book about finding yourself.
Terry
Too much deus ex machina
Alexandra Caulfield
Alexandra Caulfield is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2015
Eva Lucia
Eva Lucia marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Chris added it
Apr 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Seven Tales of Trinket
  • Young Fredle (Davis Farm, #2)
  • Escape from Castle Cant
  • It Happened on a Train (Brixton Brothers, #3)
  • The Boy Who Could Fly
  • Fleabrain Loves Franny
  • Enter the Earth
  • To Come and Go Like Magic
  • Snakehead
  • Magicalamity
  • The Secret Ingredient (Teashop Girls, #2)
  • A Dragon's Guide to the Care and Feeding of Humans
  • The Magical Ms. Plum
  • Beyond the Door (Time Out of Time, #1)
  • The Mirror of Fire and Dreaming (Brotherhood of the Conch, #2)
  • The Adventures Of Vin Fiz
  • Archer's Quest
  • Nurk: The Strange, Surprising Adventures of a (Somewhat) Brave Shrew
Wild Magic Snowbone By Lantern Light. Cat Weatherill & Alison Edgson The Hairy Marys Jaco the Leek