Start by marking “Death Benefits” as Want to Read:
Death Benefits

Death Benefits

3.67  ·  Rating Details  ·  666 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Bestselling author Jack Henry is suddenly on the brink of bankruptcy. With bills mounting and the IRS calling, he realizes that he has a major problem on his hands. But who is to blame for his declining fortunes? Certainly not Jack himself. The fault, he determines, lies with his agent, Stan Wycoff - who takes 15% of everything Jack makes for doing absolutely nothing.

Jack
Published August 1st 2012 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Death Benefits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Benefits

Jim
Aug 01, 2012 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this is not a John Corey story, but that's okay, Nelson DeMille was writing great stories for more than two decades before introducing Corey in Plum Island.

Jack Henry was a big-name author, but with two costly divorces, a couple of novels that flopped, movie deals that never materialized, and the IRS hitting on him for back taxes, he was staring at bankruptcy. The idea of giving up his lavish lifestyle was unimaginably painful. Inevitably, Henry concluded that the only way to stay
Wes Peters
Mar 06, 2013 Wes Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun little novella where Mr. DeMille gives a short tour de force of his story telling ability. He crafts a setting that will seem familiar to everyone who knows DeMille's John Corey, or has read The Gold Coast, and peoples it with what feel like a couple of side characters from one of his other stories. For DeMille fans, you're in comfortable territory; the characters, the locations all have a familiar feel. For those unfortunate enough to not know DeMille well, this story will be a quick and ...more
Matt
Aug 20, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great short story by one of the best storytellers I have come across. Usually filled with humour and double-entendres, DeMille takes a break and pens this short story all about how a best-selling author tries to solve his insolvency issues, at any cost.

DeMille paints a realistic thought process that surely would cross the mind of a creative writer to solve his largest issues, namely debt and promised bankruptcy.

Kudos Mr. DeMille. I know you've got so many ideas. Keep 'em coming!
Diana
Sep 26, 2012 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short story. Characters and plot hold your attention.
Bey Deckard
Apr 17, 2015 Bey Deckard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, shorty, kindle
Cute quick story that made me laugh out loud at the end :)
Joe Marshall
Aug 07, 2012 Joe Marshall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story from DeMille, with delicious irony.
Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2012/09/...

The Panther, Nelson DeMille’s newest John Corey book, will be out soon, so to tide us over until then, the author gave us this fun little digital tidbit. Former bestselling author Jack Henry finds himself going over his finances and soon realizes he’s, er, dead broke. His books aren’t quite selling like they used to, and his writing is in a slump. Then he comes across the bill for a premium on a life insurance policy that
Lakis Fourouklas
Aug 01, 2012 Lakis Fourouklas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the story of Jack Henry, a once best-selling author, who lately doesn’t do so well; in fact for the past few years things seem to get from bad to worse.

Jack has written a few critically and commercially successful novels in the past, but his last two books failed miserably, with the results best-felt in his pockets; his empty pockets. He owes half a million dollars in taxes, while he has to pay up to ten thousand dollars a months for his grand mansion in New York City, and to add to that
Pamela
Jul 09, 2015 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best short story

I was looking for an entertaining read and it was and more. FaMille never disappoints with humor and a solid plot and always a twist. You won't be sorry.
Joe Steranka
Blah

Waste of time. Slow and not worth the "surprise" ending. Usually like his work but guess he needs longer form.
Patricia L Karner
Good Story

As short stories go, this is a good one. It's so good, it's too short. I just wanted a little more.
Katie
Nov 23, 2015 Katie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I love Nelson DeMille, but this story was predictable.
Renato Rodriguez
wicked little story. loved it.
Ben Vogel
Very short. Easy, fun read.
Kathy
Jul 06, 2015 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: haveread
Hilarious!
Mmartin martin
Apr 26, 2014 Mmartin martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
short but fun
Becky
Nov 03, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it
A fun short about an author whose career has seen better days. As he faces the inevitability of downscaling in lieu of the chances his work in progress will be the bestseller his last two titles were not, he remembers a life insurance policy taken out on his agent and considers his options.

Includes a short excerpt of THE PANTHER.
Mario Kroll
Sep 02, 2012 Mario Kroll rated it liked it
Cute, quirky mystery/dark comedy that's way too short and feels like more of a plug for DeMille's upcoming The Panther (a teaser chapter of which is included and is as long or longer than this entire short story) than a stand alone. Enjoyed The Book Case, his other recent short story a bit more.
Michele Martin
Dec 21, 2013 Michele Martin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this would be good and then I started reading it and thought this sucks. So this morning, I decided to push on through to finish the book since it was "just a short story." Thank you Nelson, you did good work! You didn't let me down.
Miriam
Aug 15, 2012 Miriam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books
Good story in short story format. Should be a longer novel. Just when I'm thoroughly engaged with the characters and plot, the story is over. Too abrupt of an ending.
Dan Barbier
Dec 17, 2014 Dan Barbier rated it it was amazing
Nice little short story if somewhat predictable. A few mention of a well known detective. Powdered with the usual DeMille humour. A good short time filler.
Paul A Hoyt
Mar 17, 2014 Paul A Hoyt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Great Read

Another great short story by Nelson DeMile full of surprises and a must read. You will not want to miss this story.
Andrew Smith
Jan 14, 2013 Andrew Smith rated it really liked it
An excellent short story from this top flight author. I've read quite a bit of his stuff but this was my first 'short'. It was worth the wait: smart and funny.
Charlene
Aug 13, 2012 Charlene rated it really liked it
Really liked the short story. I left out one star as I didn't like the preview for The Panther and doubt that I will read it when it is released.
James
Sep 09, 2012 James rated it it was amazing
A tasty little 20 page novella. I wonder what his agent thought of it? I'm looking forward to his next novel coming out this fall.
Lauren
Aug 26, 2013 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
DeMille's short story about the love-hate relationship between an author and his agent offers a "quick hit" of DeMille's signature humor.
Beth Schneider
Oct 09, 2012 Beth Schneider rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short story! Just reminds me of how excellent of a writer Nelson DeMille actually is.
Marc
Mar 02, 2013 Marc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun short story by Nelson DeMille. Nice, comedic irony, poking fun at writers and literary agents.
Silverback
Sep 10, 2012 Silverback rated it really liked it
SO short! Witty story with an excellent twist. I wanted to hang out with these guys.
Linda
Mar 08, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is this book reminds you to be careful what you wish for!
  • The Saboteurs (Men at War, #5)
  • The Accounting
  • The Puzzle (Samantha Jamison Mystery #1)
  • The Missing Element (James Becker, #2)
  • Wounds
  • The Tudor Plot (Cotton Malone, #7.5)
  • The Devil's Deep
  • Lady Justice and the Organ Traders (Lady Justice, #16)
  • Truman's Spy: A Cold War Spy Story
  • Hal Spacejock
  • The Second Virgin Birth
  • Plan B: A Nick Heller Story (Nick Heller, #2.5)
  • Mortal Pursuit
  • Accountable to None (Eviscerating the Snake, #1)
  • Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South, #1)
  • Lost in Kandahar
  • Hidden Doors, Secret Rooms
  • Death On The Diagonal (Crossword Mysteries, #12)
Nelson Richard DeMille was born in New York City on August 23, 1943 to Huron and Antonia (Panzera) DeMille. He moved as a child with his family to Long Island. In high school, he played football and ran track.

DeMille spent three years at Hofstra University, then joined the Army and attended Officer Candidate School. He was a First Lieutenant in the United States Army (1966-69) and saw action as an
More about Nelson DeMille...