Brian, His Granddad & the Cup of Ages

Brian, His Granddad & the Cup of Ages

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  28 reviews
When eleven-year-old Brian Pankhurst has to stay with his grandparents, he's not exactly enthusiastic. He barely knows them, after all, and they're a little strange. They're stranger than he realises, in fact. Very soon after he arrives at their ancient house, Brian starts to feel that something isn't right. Why has someone sent his granddad a completely blank letter? Why...more
Published August 31st 2012 by Penpress (first published August 10th 2011)

Gina -
You can find the original review over at my blog:

Behind a Million and One Pages

3.5....

Let me start off by saying that this review is of my opinion of the book. I think that it is a perfect book for middle-graders, and if given a rating for that it would be a 5.

The start of this novel gets straight to the point with Brian's situation and what his mother is doing (albeit a tad too formal for this genre). Brian, Audrey and Norman all reminded me too much of Harry, Hermione and Ron from the Harry Potter series. It was like thi...more
Sarah Fewings
This book reminds me of Harry Potter which, in my opinion, is no bad thing. Yes, it has magic and wizards and every book that includes such individuals will always get compared to J.K. Rowling's books.

Myself and my daughter, who is 11, read this together. I thought the book was written well and we loved all the monsters and the magic rain and the talking statues! Our favourite monster was definitely Hadley! My daughter wants to read the next book but there doesn't appear to be another one which...more
Laura Pilcher
Really good book for ages 7+ . We meet Brian who has come to stay with his grandparents, whilst his mother finds a new home to move into. We soon find that Brian's paternal grandparents are more quirky than meets the eye, which tweaks Brian's curious nature. Comic value arrives in the forms of Sam and Hadley! two monsters who appear in Brian's bedroom. I loved these two characters they are bizarre and funny and i'm sure a child reader would find them hilarious. This is a tale of friendship, adve...more
Dawn
Just because you're a grown-up doesn't mean you can't enjoy a great book written for kids.

You only have to look at the popularity of the Harry Potter phenomenon among adults to realise how true my first sentence is.

I mention "Harry Potter" because a couple of reviews I've read have compared P. J. Taylor's "Brian, His Granddad & the Cup of Ages" to J. K. Rowling's series.

For me, the comparison doesn't work. I never got past the first chapter of the first Harry Potter book - and neither did m...more
Randi
First I want to say thank you to the author for allowing me to recieve a free copy. In return I will now give my honest review.

I had a hard time with this book from the beginning. Within a few pages all I could think was this is TOO much like Harry Potter. As I continued to read the similarities just continued. For example, main character Brian has no idea about magic or monsters. He ends up becoming friends with 2 other characters- 1 female, 1 male...who argue all the time for what appears to b...more
Shelley Riley
I received "Brian, His Granddad & the Cup of Ages," free as a book for review.

My mother told me, so many years ago, if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all. Sounds simple, unfortunately it’s easier said than done. And so I have made it my practice not to write reviews on books I don’t like.

It’s not that I disliked this book. In fact it was cute; my main issue was how often I found myself realizing how closely the characters, and some of the plot, mimicked another story an...more
Jak
Nov 12, 2012 Jak rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a book to read to their kids.
The story centers around a young boy named Brian who’s forced to move in with his Grandparents after his father leaves and his mother has to move away for a new job. No sooner than he arrives than strange things start happening.

After a number of intriguing number of events Brian is suddenly plunged into a world of magic when his Grandfather is kidnapped and Brian is attacked by a fire demon. But help is at hand when Brian is rescued by two friendly monsters, Sam & Hadley, who are rounding u...more
Definitely a book I have enjoyed if I can read a book in a few days with two small children then that is the same as when someone else may say they read in one sitting!!!! I loved the way the author was descriptive so much so that the whole story was brought to life; even someone without any imagination could picture this story as it was brought to life in the way that it was written. It is a magical fantasy that is well worth reading and that I hope will have much more to come in the future.

The...more
 Frenchie
Aug 06, 2013 Frenchie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Magical fun readers
Recommended to Frenchie by: The children Books forum Amazon
I read Brian, His Granddad & the Cup of Ages when the first Kindle version was out.
This is my Amazon.uk review I wrote.
***************************

Like Harry Potter, they said? Nah! Ok, if you really, really want to make a comparison, you could say Audrey is Hermionish (i.e, a know it all) and that Grandma's rock cakes remind you of Hagrid's cooking (and mine) but no, Brian, His Granddad and the Cup of Ages is a magical book in its own right. So many things, situtations and personages are un...more
Selena
OMG! I LOVED it!!! From the first page to the end! I am so glad I won this book from Goodreads. I would have bought it if I hadn't! I've been reading this book to my students, Ages 5-11, and they all "remind" me when they think I've forgotten to read. There's no better endorsement than kids wanting to sit and listen to a story than play in centers or do something else.
I hate when reviews give away parts of the book, but I do love the diversity in the characters and their abilities. One of the m...more
Holly
I received a free copy of this book for my classroom. It took a little bit longer to read than expected as school was starting up and that is always a busy time of the year. The book itself was a pretty good book that would be enjoyed by any of my students that are Harry Potter Fans. Readers are just a curious about some of the things that happen in the books as Brian is. Because of this there were several times that I did not want to put the book down. With that said, there were a couple of tim...more
Amanda
I received this for free through GoodReads First Reads however my 11 year old read this and absolutely loved it. He said the grandparents were interesting, Brian was very curious and smart for his age, the other characters were interesting (and I had to help him look up some of the words in the dictionary since Mom's definition just wouldn't do)- that the story moved along at a good pace, had a great story line and kept your interest throughout the entire story. I enjoyed my son's enthusiasm in...more
Adrian Manning
My son and I read this book together and whilst it's similar to Harry Potter in many respects my son enjoyed this as it's a slightly easier read. Anybody who likes wizards and monsters would enjoy this book.
Connie
I really enjoyed this story and certainly hope there will be a sequel, because I feel there were a couple of things that were left too open ended. And I would like to see Brian grow with his magic.

The characters were so fun, and I liked there silly names, George Newblaster, Gordon Grubshackle, Stanley Clutterbucket,etc. Hadley was my favorite, having a huge hairy kleptomaniac monster as a friend came in pretty handy.

It was a fun story and a pleasant read.

However, I was annoyed by the repeated r...more
Nancy Brady
This is the fanciful tale of an eleven-year-old, Brian Pankhurst, who learns that monsters are real and not everything he thought about his parents and grandparents is true. His adventures begin when he moves with his granddad and grandma, and they don't end until he discovers a world of magic and the power of friendships to overcome evil. Will there be a sequel to answer lingering questions? A perfect read for tweens,teens, and adults who enjoy fantasy reads.
Zouagie
I also won a copy of this book and dare say I'm glad I did. I'm only about on page 47 but it's REALLY good. Very detailed but not to the point where you want to rip your hair out. It actually makes you picture the things around the story.
Brian is a VERY curious boy. And I'm left here wondering when's the next surprise is at. :) I'll update again when I get farther up the story.
Kate Ellis
Anyone looking to fill the whole that was left when the Harry Potter books finished? Well I have found it! This book is a lovely read, the characters are likable (I particularly like the banter between the children) and the storyline is intriguing. I found this book easy to read and have recommended it to all my friends and family. Is there a sequal?
Sigrun
Oct 10, 2012 Sigrun marked it as to-read
I'm on this list because I entered to win a copy of the book. The only other place I've seen it is on Amazon.com as a Kindle. I'm hoping to purchase it for my great-nephew for Christmas and I usually enjoy reading a book for the kids before I give away the books. So, I'm sorry but I'll still have to keep you waiting a little while.
Deborah
When eleven-year-old Brian Pankhurst has to stay with his grandparents he finds them a little strange.There are strange happenings going on.then one night he meets monsters in his room. Brian learns to travel through bookcases and that magic and monsters are very real. I highly recommend this book to young and old reader alike.
Ted
Jan 01, 2013 Ted marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads
"*** I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads ***
** The Giveaway was Listed By Phillip **
* I received my copy on Wed Oct 31st, 2012 *

THANK YOU GOODREADS FIRST READS AND Phillip! "
Sue T
Wow just finished the book. Please tell me there's another on the way as want to see loose ends tied up. Really enjoyed the way the characters conversed with one another, felt current and real. Great job!!!
Keri
I really liked this book. It seemed to hold elements of different series that I hold among my favorites. I can't wait for the next one, if there is one.
Dayle
I am looking forward to book 2 to finish the story!
Kel
I had a very hard time reading this book. The author is very controlling/dominating in his descriptions of every environmental aspect of the the story that it leaves no room for the reader to imagine anything other than exactly what the author wants them to picture.

And that's not how I like my stories. I feel author's should describe environments, people etc but when you go to far you remove the ability of the reader to immerse themselves in the story.

I also think it is very important for childr...more
Vee
I received this book in exchange for an honest review.

Overall this book was alright. For me, there were a number of issues which prevent me from giving it a higher rating.

Number one on the top of the list which I think the author should seriously consider doing something about, is the physical description of the characters. I say this because I appreciate that I think the author is trying to be inclusive and PC by including characters of different ethnicities, but he does not do them justice i...more
Vrinda Pendred
I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.

I started out really enjoying this, but by the second half I'm afraid I lost interest. I'm aware this book is written for children, but I am mother to a 7-year-old and I do like my children's books, and I had hoped perhaps this would be a good one to read with him. Unfortunately, I don't think he would be very interested in it.

It's not terrible by any means. It's just that, for one thing, so much of it felt like it had been modeled right of...more
If There's A   Typo I'm Drunk
Brian, His Granddad and the Cup of Ages is an unfunny, rather silly attempt to humanize magical grandpas, which is NOT okay! P.J. Taylor's writing style is terrifyingly terrible; how the hell did he/she get this published? Kids don't even like it; ask any kid I know who's read it. It sounds good in the description, like a throw-back to seventies' fantasy movies, but it's an unoriginal piece of crap.

Yes, I understand this book was written for kids, and yes, this is terrible no matter what age you...more
Michelle & Tony Lee
I got this book free in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this book very much!
I will be reading this to my young grandchildren when they visit me.
I loved the characters and the plot. The two monsters were great and the three children were good role models for younger readers. I was impressed with the way the story was written, I feel that it was understandable for younger readers without speaking down to them.
I don't know if book two has been written, but I would be very interested in read...more
Debbie
I can't really give this book a complete review rating. I only received the excerpt to read. The story line was good, however it started out with too many questions about the characters. This was too much like Harry Potter. Would liked to have known the secret thoughts of the adults. This would have made it different and possibly more interesting. It may have provided even a few twists for the author to explore. It does have lots of possibilities and I will try to read the whole book when I get...more
Keri
Keri marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Sequel is being written... 35 18 May 30, 2014 12:39PM
The Magical Unive...: P.J Taylor : Brian, His Granddad & the Cup of Ages 5 13 Jan 25, 2014 12:49AM
Never Too Old For...: Read 4 Review #52 - Brian, His Granddad & the Cup (Closed) 23 60 Jul 22, 2013 09:50PM
Oh my goodness!!!! 3 11 Oct 06, 2012 04:01AM
  • Fyrelocke: Jack Boomershine and the Prophecy Untold
  • Sherlock Holmes and The Case of The Edinburgh Haunting
  • Atazia
  • Velvak's Victory (Bradapol, #1)
  • Doorway Into Darkness
  • The Ancestral Key (Serpent's Treasure, #1)
  • Heir to the Lamp (Genie Chronicles #1)
  • Valentina and the Haunted Mansion (Valentina's Spooky Adventures, #1)
  • The Complete Knifepoint Horror
  • What A Circus
  • The Ultimate Tree House Project (Project Kids Adventure #1)
  • Torn from Troy (Odyssey of a Slave #1)
  • Time Trapped (Time Snatchers, #2)
  • After Life
  • Land of Nod: The Prophet (Land of Nod Trilogy, #2)
  • God's Calling: How a Cheap Cell Phone and a Homeless Teen Transformed My Life and My Faith
  • Intelligenz