Locks of Love: A Modern Gay Fairy Tale

Locks of Love: A Modern Gay Fairy Tale

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Not everyone can be a prince. Sometimes, though, an everyman will do.

Talent comes in all shapes and sizes, but some talents are a heck of a lot more useful than others. Hal’s particular gift? Talking to doors—a natural lead-in to an unglamorous career of locksmithing. What else would he do with himself when popping a lock comes as naturally to him as breathing? Other than...more
ebook, Second Electronic Edition, 35 pages
Published August 13th 2012 by JCP Books LLC (first published August 11th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Locks of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Locks of Love

Chris
3.5 stars. Good short m/m fairy tale about a guy who can convince locks to open... but there have to be doors for his talent to work.
Deeze
A interesting take on the Rapunzel fairy tale.

An enjoyable little short if you are in the mood for a quick and quirky fun read.
Jordan Castillo Price
Aug 13, 2012 Jordan Castillo Price marked it as wrote  ·  (Review from the author)
Locks of Love appeared in the re-told fairy tale anthology Torqued Tales several years ago. I wrote this story early on in my career and was eager to get my hands back on it and give it a good sprucing up. It ended up getting a significant rewrite, which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was fun to plunge back into the grubby, industrial storyverse and take it to the next level.
Mel
Feb 17, 2013 Mel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: e-book, m-m
A modern day retelling of the Rapunzel tale—and not as cheesy as the title implies.
I really liked the premise of the world and the idea behind it ('it's not what you have as a talent, it's what you do with it'). But at the end, the story was too short and the ending fell flat.
Still, a fun read.
Sammy Goode
First off, the story? A real stroke of genius. I kid you not. Who can take a simple fairy tale and weave a new world from it--one in which the key players come with unusual gifts that creates a whole second level to the telling of the tale?

When was the last time you put down a short story and thought to yourself, "how many letters can I write to the author begging her to make this into a novel?" I wrote five of them before I even sat down to do this review.

Yes. this little gem is that good! Jor...more
L-D
This was a decent short story, but it was a little too brief for me. I thought it was an interesting concept but it just wasn't quite fleshed out enough. I'm a big JCP fan, but sometimes short stories just don't have enough substance for me personally.
RA Little
4/5 stars for Locks of Love! Thoroughly enjoyed this "Modern Gay Fairy Tale" short story. I want an entire book or series on this world of Talents.

Hal is a locksmith who can magically talk to doors. He is a funny and insightful character to find in so few pages. "Rapunzel" is a poor guy called Micah stuck in a warehouse in need of rescue, and true love. The Witch is a crazy biker keeping Micah locked up for his own twisted reasons.

While the story was unique and the sexy scene fun, the real gem...more
Heather C
This was a weird, creative retelling of the classic fairy tale Rapunzel.
LG (A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions)
Even knowing this story was written by JCP and was therefore probably good, I still hesitated to buy it. Several reviews stated that it was too short. Since that's a common complaint I have about short stories and novellas, it was a good bet I'd feel the same. Still, when a sale came around, I bought it.

While it was certainly as readable as everything else by JCP that I've tried, it really was too short. I got a brief look at the story's world, I got to know Hal a little, and I got to meet Micha...more
ARe Cafe
Locks of Love a Modern Gay Fairy Tale by Jordan Castillo Price belongs to a subgenre that is harder than it looks to do well – the retold fairy tale. Retold fairy tales take the bare bones of a familiar tale or myth, and replicate the plot points, but always with a subversive twist. The setting might be futuristic, the relationship gay, or the gender roles switched.

However, fairy tales can bore many of us readers because they are populated by archetypes and not real characters with real personal...more
K
Interesting twist on the Rapunzel fairy tale. It may be a short story, but it sure packs a punch. I had loved the original version in the Torqued Tales Anthology, and this updated version is even more enjoyable.
Urbanista
I just reread this and loved the quirkiness. I also was creeped out by rat turds and The Barber's revolting obsession with hair. I always enjoy grittiness with a hint of irony. Okay, more than a hint!
Yuri Aoi
Sandra
Part of the Torqued Tales anthology.
$2.99 on Nook.
blub
Good concept but too short. It gave a darker unique way to view the Rapunzel fairy tail (not that the original wasn't dark already).
Eli Easton
I loved the premise and world-building on this--so many clever ideas. The actual romance, though, was rather lackluster.
Antonella
3,5

Of course I enjoyed (I mean, it is JCP!).
But it was a little too short even for a short ;-)
KC
Apr 27, 2013 KC rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
3.5
I liked the ideas and the writing, as usual with JCP, but it was too short character-wise.
Wakey
Cool idea, interesting world, but WAY too short and not particularly satisfying.
Carlita Costello
Beautifully written, quirky story. Loved it.
Cole Riann
Great spin on the Rapunzel fairy tale
WhatAStrangeDuck
WhatAStrangeDuck marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Idamus
Idamus marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
FridaMia
FridaMia marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Hannah
Hannah added it
Jun 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Author and artist Jordan Castillo Price is the owner of JCP Books LLC. Her paranormal thrillers are colored by her time in the midwest, from inner city Chicago, to small town Wisconsin, to liberal Madison.

Jordan is best known as the author of the PsyCop series, an unfolding tale of paranormal mystery and suspense starring Victor Bayne, a gay medium who's plagued by ghostly visitations. Also check...more
More about Jordan Castillo Price...
Among the Living (PsyCop, #1) Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2) Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5) Secrets (PsyCop, #4) GhosTV (PsyCop, #6)