Start by marking “Bird Songs: Of North America” as Want to Read:
Bird Songs: Of North America

Bird Songs: Of North America

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Drawing from the collection of the world-renowned Macaulay Library at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Bird Songs presents the most notable North American birdsincluding the rediscovered Ivory-billed Woodpeckerin a stunning new format. Renowned bird biologist Les Beletsky provides a succinct description of each of the 250 birds profiled, with an emphasis on their distinctiv ...more
Published September 28th 2006 by Chronicle Books (first published September 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bird Songs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bird Songs

lia
This book was a gift, one of the best I have ever gotten. It is essentially a limited encyclopedia, with a full color drawing, some facts about each bird, and this tiny player, embedded in the cover of the book, where you key in the number assigned to the bird, push the button and hear i's most common call. EXCELLENT.
Jeff Brailey
Jun 05, 2007 Jeff Brailey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: birders and anyone who loves birds
Children's books have had digital voice players in them for some time. This book presents the songs of 250 different American birds and tells a bit about their their habits and habitats, migratory range and more. A very useful tool for the birder. I identified the call of a great horned owl in the back yard woods with it.
Kayla
This was a great book. I love reading and listening to birds.
Brent Ranalli
Good concept, and the audio component is excellent. But the book itself is deeply flawed. There are precious few hints for a reader who is actually interested in learning bird songs and identifying birds. There are no maps indicating ranges, for example. The table of contents, astonishingly, does not list the birds presented in the book. The principle upon which each of the four large "chapters" is organized is a mystery, and the chapter headers don't list contents either. That leaves the index, ...more
Joanna
I am a gardener who enjoys birds, not a birdwatcher, so this book is perfect for me. It profiles 250 North American birds, providing a lovely colored pencil illustration for each, along with a brief description of habit, range and characteristics such as typical diet. The starring role however belongs to their songs. Each bird is matched to a recording from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology which can be played by pressing a button on the right hand side of the text. The song selection is easy to na ...more
Sara
I couldn't resist this book because not only are there are pretty pictures, there are buttons to push.

I definitely didn't commit any bird calls to memory, but I was surprised that I recognized many. I liked hearing which bird songs went with which birds, especially when very pretty or delicate birds made low, creepy noises.

This book was beautifully illustrated, simply laid-out and it was very easy to track back and forth through the recorded bird sounds. The quality of the recordings was also i
Anna Nesterovich
It's a great and very useful book. It would be even better were it have a number keyword rather than just navigation keys. It's tiring to skip over a hundred birds to the one you want.
Lamski Kikita
in today's world of birding apps, I may be a little biased in my opinion. I enjoyed the drawings, though some were not too accurate (I'm comparing to Peterson, which isn't exactly fair, but I'm a huge osprey fan, and that drawing does NOT look like an osprey!) and the little info about each bird (I never knew that bluejays would eat other birds) . As for the bird songs, I only got to hear the first four (all grebes) before the thing died. I changed the battery to no avail. I think I would have g ...more
Dia Kristy
Jul 27, 2009 Dia Kristy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nature lovers, parents, kids, campers, gardeners, canoers, water lovers
Recommended to Dia by: an elderly woman who could identify the birds outside
A DELIGHT! Sometimes books can be so much more fun than the internet!

Especially when you can carry it out to the backyard or the woods with you! And play quizzes with your friends and family, too. ("guess this one!")

So cool that they've produced several more titles besides this one.

I'd love to hear/see/watch/read them all!

Great way to meet new people, by the way.

Amanda Petrucelli
This is so helpful for those of us who don't necessarily luuuuv birds but want to have an idea of what we're listening to. Easy-to-use device plays back the bird calls and colorful plates describe and explain the breed. Is breed the right word? I don't know and don't really care, but I love that I know, by sound, that all the birds in the Wal-Mart parking lot are worthless.
christina
This book is and will continue to blow my mind!

My brother Benjamin gave this to me for my birthday, which is sort of unexpected,
as I wouldn't think as either of us a birders or bird affecinados. But it just does not matter,
this book is the best, most entertaining thing to play with for hours.
My 8 year old Lilly loves it allot as well! But then again who wouldn't?
bookyeti
A beautiful book, and a treasure to own and use. I take it along with me whenever we go on our camping trips to identify and 'attract' the many birds in the National Park we visit. The descriptions about each bird and the lovely full-color drawings are a wonderful complement to the sounds of these amazing creatures. It is a favorite in my collection!
Naomi
We've enjoyed this book and listening to the bird songs. We've liked trying to identify the birds we've heard around the house. The only reason I didn't give the book 5 stars is that it could have so easily been added to to make the book a bit more informative and user friendly.
Sally
Wow, I should have a shelf that's called "ear-candy." The illustrations are great; the descriptions are minimal, but a good base for building knowledge upon. My only wish is that there could be more than one song-sample for each bird.
Jess
beautifully illustrated, provides basic information on a large number of birds - organized into sections based upon the species habitat. bird songs are excellent quality. perfect for bird watchers, and nature enthusiasts.
Mrs
Neat book. Not in order like other bird guide books making it hard to locate specific birds without using the index. Too large/heavy to carry in the field, coffee table book. Smaller children really love it however.
cara
Clearly great if you love birds, but I bought it for my four-year-old and it's been in use for a year, reading for information, calls, etc. Very cool!
Wendy
Really fun book. My family has had a blast looking up the birds and listening to what they sound like. Great gift for the Fourth Day of Christmas!!
Liza
Jul 20, 2008 Liza rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Liza by: Marlene Bathker
My favorites are the calls of the Laughing Gull and the Bufflehead...hey, who are these scientists who get to name them birds, anyways?
What fun this book was for my children and I! My only complaint is that there are no maps to show where the birds can be found.
Beth
Playing the red-bellied woodpecker call seems to get the attention of the woodpecker that hangs out in our backyard.
Chanelle
I bought this books at Costco and it is worth every penny I paid! Me and my kids love it.
David
Sure, it's better to have a phone app that does this, but it's fun in book form.
Lisa Rooksby
This is one of the coolest books I have ever owned!
Susie
May 09, 2007 Susie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: bird lovers
Shelves: i-commented
this is one of the coolest gifts i have ever gotten.
Jessica Kulp
Mar 08, 2008 Jessica Kulp marked it as to-read
saw this at the book store today, i need it.
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks (Peterson Field Guides)
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region
  • Sewing School: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make
  • Birds of North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • Simon & Schuster's Guide to Rocks and Minerals
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • Maybe Yes, Maybe No
  • Rip the Page!: Adventures in Creative Writing
  • The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America
  • The Periodic Table: Elements with Style! (Basher Science)
  • The Country Diary of an Edwardian Lady
  • The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons
  • All in a Day
  • Living The Good Life: How One Family Changed Their World From Their Own Backyard
  • Celebritrees: Historic and Famous Trees of the World
  • Smart Soapmaking: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade Soap Quickly, Safely, and Reliably: The Simple Guide to Making Traditional Handmade ... Soaps for Family, Friends, and Yourself
  • The Story of the Orchestra: Listen While You Learn About the Instruments, the Music and the Composers Who Wrote the Music!
Bird Songs from Around the World Bird Songs Bible: The Complete, Illustrated Reference for North American Birds Costa Rica Belize & Northern Guatemala (Travellers' Wildlife Guides) Hawaii: The Ecotravellers' Wildlife Guide (Ecotravellers Wildlife Guides)