Start by marking “Bird Songs: Of North America” as Want to Read:
Bird Songs: Of North America

Bird Songs: Of North America

Drawing from the collection of the world-renowned Macaulay Library at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Bird Songs presents the most notable North American birdsincluding the rediscovered Ivory-billed Woodpeckerin a stunning new format. Renowned bird biologist Les Beletsky provides a succinct description of each of the 250 birds profiled, with an emphasis on their distinctiv ...more
Published September 28th 2006 by Chronicle Books (first published September 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Bird Songs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bird Songs

lia
Apr 14, 2007 lia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: natural-history
This book was a gift, one of the best I have ever gotten. It is essentially a limited encyclopedia, with a full color drawing, some facts about each bird, and this tiny player, embedded in the cover of the book, where you key in the number assigned to the bird, push the button and hear i's most common call. EXCELLENT.
Jeff Brailey
Jun 05, 2007 Jeff Brailey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: birders and anyone who loves birds
Children's books have had digital voice players in them for some time. This book presents the songs of 250 different American birds and tells a bit about their their habits and habitats, migratory range and more. A very useful tool for the birder. I identified the call of a great horned owl in the back yard woods with it.
Kayla
Jan 13, 2008 Kayla rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. I love reading and listening to birds.
Brent Ranalli
Aug 25, 2013 Brent Ranalli rated it it was ok
Good concept, and the audio component is excellent. But the book itself is deeply flawed. There are precious few hints for a reader who is actually interested in learning bird songs and identifying birds. There are no maps indicating ranges, for example. The table of contents, astonishingly, does not list the birds presented in the book. The principle upon which each of the four large "chapters" is organized is a mystery, and the chapter headers don't list contents either. That leaves the index, ...more
Audrey Grant
May 06, 2015 Audrey Grant rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
A few years ago a dear friend who knew our daughter adored (still does!) books and nature gave her the biggest, most beautiful bird book with a glossy photo page per bird! But... It also has a computer chip that also when you push the button gives the sound of the bird! I think EVERY home with children should have one!! Trust me... Well, worth the investment!
#We have had this book in a house of 3 school children, and it has been well loved and used in the last SEVEN years!
The "kids" were 13, 7 (
Two Readers in Love
Feb 02, 2016 Two Readers in Love rated it it was amazing
Shelves: birds, owned, favorite, audio
A bird keeps singing outside of your window. Who is s/he? I love the written word, but it just doesn’t do justice to birdsong (or foreign language pronunciation for that matter, but that is a story for another day.) The clever audio attachment to this book gives voice to the birds therein, and if that plus the gorgeous illustrations doesn’t help you solve the mystery, then perhaps nothing can. (Lagniappe: 1935 record of the song of the recently rediscovered Ivory-Billed Woodpecker.)

Great for ‘gu
Joanna
Nov 12, 2007 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
I am a gardener who enjoys birds, not a birdwatcher, so this book is perfect for me. It profiles 250 North American birds, providing a lovely colored pencil illustration for each, along with a brief description of habit, range and characteristics such as typical diet. The starring role however belongs to their songs. Each bird is matched to a recording from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology which can be played by pressing a button on the right hand side of the text. The song selection is easy to na ...more
Sara
Jan 08, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I couldn't resist this book because not only are there are pretty pictures, there are buttons to push.

I definitely didn't commit any bird calls to memory, but I was surprised that I recognized many. I liked hearing which bird songs went with which birds, especially when very pretty or delicate birds made low, creepy noises.

This book was beautifully illustrated, simply laid-out and it was very easy to track back and forth through the recorded bird sounds. The quality of the recordings was also i
Lamski Kikita
Feb 21, 2013 Lamski Kikita rated it liked it
in today's world of birding apps, I may be a little biased in my opinion. I enjoyed the drawings, though some were not too accurate (I'm comparing to Peterson, which isn't exactly fair, but I'm a huge osprey fan, and that drawing does NOT look like an osprey!) and the little info about each bird (I never knew that bluejays would eat other birds) . As for the bird songs, I only got to hear the first four (all grebes) before the thing died. I changed the battery to no avail. I think I would have g ...more
bookyeti
Sep 24, 2009 bookyeti rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book, and a treasure to own and use. I take it along with me whenever we go on our camping trips to identify and 'attract' the many birds in the National Park we visit. The descriptions about each bird and the lovely full-color drawings are a wonderful complement to the sounds of these amazing creatures. It is a favorite in my collection!
Amanda
Sep 16, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This is so helpful for those of us who don't necessarily luuuuv birds but want to have an idea of what we're listening to. Easy-to-use device plays back the bird calls and colorful plates describe and explain the breed. Is breed the right word? I don't know and don't really care, but I love that I know, by sound, that all the birds in the Wal-Mart parking lot are worthless.
Dia Kristy
Jul 27, 2009 Dia Kristy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: nature lovers, parents, kids, campers, gardeners, canoers, water lovers
Recommended to Dia by: an elderly woman who could identify the birds outside
A DELIGHT! Sometimes books can be so much more fun than the internet!

Especially when you can carry it out to the backyard or the woods with you! And play quizzes with your friends and family, too. ("guess this one!")

So cool that they've produced several more titles besides this one.

I'd love to hear/see/watch/read them all!

Great way to meet new people, by the way.

christina
Nov 09, 2007 christina rated it it was amazing
This book is and will continue to blow my mind!

My brother Benjamin gave this to me for my birthday, which is sort of unexpected,
as I wouldn't think as either of us a birders or bird affecinados. But it just does not matter,
this book is the best, most entertaining thing to play with for hours.
My 8 year old Lilly loves it allot as well! But then again who wouldn't?
Sally
Mar 19, 2008 Sally rated it it was amazing
Wow, I should have a shelf that's called "ear-candy." The illustrations are great; the descriptions are minimal, but a good base for building knowledge upon. My only wish is that there could be more than one song-sample for each bird.
Jess Gill
Sep 02, 2008 Jess Gill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
beautifully illustrated, provides basic information on a large number of birds - organized into sections based upon the species habitat. bird songs are excellent quality. perfect for bird watchers, and nature enthusiasts.
Mrs
Sep 24, 2010 Mrs rated it liked it
Neat book. Not in order like other bird guide books making it hard to locate specific birds without using the index. Too large/heavy to carry in the field, coffee table book. Smaller children really love it however.
Naomi
May 22, 2009 Naomi rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals-pets
We've enjoyed this book and listening to the bird songs. We've liked trying to identify the birds we've heard around the house. The only reason I didn't give the book 5 stars is that it could have so easily been added to to make the book a bit more informative and user friendly.
Liza
Jul 17, 2008 Liza rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Liza by: Marlene Bathker
My favorites are the calls of the Laughing Gull and the Bufflehead...hey, who are these scientists who get to name them birds, anyways?
Wendy
Jul 14, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it
Really fun book. My family has had a blast looking up the birds and listening to what they sound like. Great gift for the Fourth Day of Christmas!!
Beth
Jan 05, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing
Playing the red-bellied woodpecker call seems to get the attention of the woodpecker that hangs out in our backyard.
David
Nov 30, 2013 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-bio
Sure, it's better to have a phone app that does this, but it's fun in book form.
Jessica Kulp
Mar 08, 2008 Jessica Kulp marked it as to-read
saw this at the book store today, i need it.
cara
Oct 08, 2007 cara rated it really liked it
Clearly great if you love birds, but I bought it for my four-year-old and it's been in use for a year, reading for information, calls, etc. Very cool!
Mar 22, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
What fun this book was for my children and I! My only complaint is that there are no maps to show where the birds can be found.
Susie
Mar 14, 2007 Susie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: bird lovers
Shelves: i-commented
this is one of the coolest gifts i have ever gotten.
Lisa Rooksby
Jan 29, 2011 Lisa Rooksby rated it it was amazing
This is one of the coolest books I have ever owned!
Anna Nesterovich
Mar 10, 2014 Anna Nesterovich rated it really liked it
Shelves: birdwatching
It's a great and very useful book. It would be even better were it have a number keyword rather than just navigation keys. It's tiring to skip over a hundred birds to the one you want.
Chanelle
Oct 05, 2008 Chanelle rated it it was amazing
I bought this books at Costco and it is worth every penny I paid! Me and my kids love it.
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2008
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
  • Peterson Field Guide to Animal Tracks (Peterson Field Guides)
  • Sewing School: 21 Sewing Projects Kids Will Love to Make
  • Birds of North America: A Guide to Field Identification
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region
  • Festivals, Family, and Food: A Guide to Multi-Cultural Celebration
  • My Light: How Sunlight Becomes Electricity
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • Simon & Schuster's Guide to Rocks and Minerals
  • The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America
  • Child's Introduction to the Night Sky: The Story of the Stars, Planets, and Constellations--and How You Can Find Them in the Sky
  • National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America
  • Maybe Yes, Maybe No
  • Rip the Page!: Adventures in Creative Writing
  • Macbeth For Kids (Shakespeare Can Be Fun series)
  • Under, Over, by the Clover
  • The Rhythm of Family: Discovering a Sense of Wonder through the Seasons
  • All in a Day
  • Story of the Orchestra: Listen While You Learn About the Instruments, the Music and the Composers Who Wrote the Music!