Start by marking “The Reluctant Earl” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant Earl

The Reluctant Earl

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  100 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Alone in a gentleman's bedchamber, rummaging through his clothing—governess Leah Vance risks social ruin. Only by selling political information can she pay for her sister's care. And the letter she found in Julian DeChambelle's coat could be valuable—if the ex-sea captain himself had not just walked in.As a navy officer, Julian knew his purpose. As a new earl, he's plagued ...more
Published February 5th 2013 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Reluctant Earl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reluctant Earl

To Desire a Devil by Elizabeth HoytIndia Black by Carol K. CarrForever a Lady by Delilah MarvelleA Winter Scandal by Candace CampSeduce Me at Sunrise by Lisa Kleypas
Historical Dresses - Red
145th out of 209 books — 13 voters
Groom Wanted by Debra UllrickWant Ad Wedding by Cheryl St.JohnUnquiet Land by Sharon ShinnRomancing the Countess by Ashley MarchThe Centurion's Wife by Davis Bunn
"Leah"
7th out of 31 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Caz
Jan 30, 2013 Caz rated it liked it
England after the Napoleonic Wars was a country that had been brought almost to its knees. Indeed, life over here, given the restrictions on trade resulting from the wars, was much harder for the ordinary, working man than it was in France. Added to that, a run of bad winters and poor harvests meant that food was scarce and many were starving, so it was perhaps not surprising that some began to look across the Channel and consider emulating the way that the French had dealt with society’s huge i ...more
Carrie Pagels
Mar 08, 2013 Carrie Pagels rated it it was amazing
Set in 1817, in England, this new release by C.J. Chase is on my Best of 2013 list already and the year has barely started!

Julian DeChambelle, the new Lord Chambelston, recently lost his father, who may have been murdered for political reasons. There's lots of suspense and intrigue in this novel. His sister has frozen out most of the family but now Julian seeks answers and comes to spend time with her and her family, including her husband Lord Sotherton.

Meanwhile, our heroine, Leah Vance, has h
Christina
Feb 23, 2013 Christina rated it it was amazing
Alone in a gentleman’s bedchamber, rummaging through his clothing—governess Leah Vance risks social ruin. Only by selling political information can she pay for her sister’s care. And the letter she found in Julian DeChambelle’s coat could be valuable—if the ex-sea captain himself had not just walked in.

As a navy officer, Julian knew his purpose. As a new earl, he’s plagued by trivialities and marriage-obsessed females. Miss Vance’s independence is intriguing—and useful. In return for relaying f
Marian Baay
Jan 10, 2013 Marian Baay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
England, 1817
The new earl of Chambelston—Julian DeCambelle, or Lord Chambelston is not yet used to his newly acquired position. His father recently died due to being wounded in an accident. Now he got an anonymous letter that states that it was no accident after all. To search for answers Julian travels to the estate of his sister to speak with her husband, Lord Sotherton.
When he is retiring he finds his niece’s governess—Miss Leah Vance searching his room with the letter in her hands. Julian d
Rachelle
Dec 08, 2012 Rachelle rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. One of my favorite things is that Leah was not your typical swoony heroine waiting on a man to save her. She was independent, intelligent, and fiesty! Three of my favorite things. It's a great romance wrapped into an interesting plot continuing in this theme of books that keep coming to my attention about when Regency England was changing. Apparently this is a thing now, I'm ok with that.

It's a great Friday afternoon read :)
Judy
Jan 16, 2016 Judy rated it it was amazing
The Reluctant Earl by C.J. Chase
It’s the end of1816 in Somerset, England where we meet the new Earl of Chambelston, Julian DeChambelle. He had been in the navy since age thirteen and understood the sea and ships, he didn’t plan on losing his older brother and father and gaining the title. Along with having lands and tenants to care for he also has his mother and his very special sister, Carolyn. More troubling was that he finds out his father’s death may not have been an accident at all, but mur
Victoria
May 26, 2013 Victoria rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I found this book a very pleasant, light, read. I was surprised that the heroine was spying for the wrong side at first, but ultimately her altruistic purposes overshadow any real fault in character that she would have. The story had a bit of romance, and a touch of mystery, which I didn't figure out until near the end. The characters were engaging and I liked reading their love story.

My criticism is that there were things mentioned that were never really explored, or concluded. We hear hints of
Dejean Smith
Apr 15, 2013 Dejean Smith rated it it was ok
This book tries to do many things. We have historical fiction, double agent females selling secrets for a good cause, special needs siblings, an earl that doesn't want the title, and a romance between gentry and commoner. Oh, and a regaining of Christian faith.

Sort of.

While Chase nails the historical fiction part and I do appreciate the attention to both main characters' love of their sisters with special needs, the rest of the story falls short.

Leah and Julian both have secrets and pasts (nothi
Rhonda
Apr 05, 2013 Rhonda rated it really liked it
The Reluctant Earl is a dramatic story. It is set in 1816 England where most of Europe and North America was suffering from poor harvest and was called the year without a summer. (I did not know how bad it got from the Indonesia's Mount Tambora volcanic explosion.)

Julian DeChambelle is now a Earl with the death of his Father and his older brother the year before. He received a note at the funeral saying his father's death might have been murder. He decides to go visit his estranged older sister'
Vidya Tiru
Feb 12, 2013 Vidya Tiru rated it really liked it
Romance, revolution, and a reluctant earl!
Classic tale of governess meets the lord, told with a twist against the backdrop of Regency England.
When Julian DeChambelle finds himself in the role of the earl (something that came upon him unexpectedly), he is not ready for the new role. On finding his father’s accident (which killed him) might not be an accident, he plans a visit to his estranged sister’s house for clues from her husband whom his father had met with recently. It is there that he come
Abbie
I liked this book for the most part. It was an interesting plot.

What I liked: I enjoyed the plot. The characters where likeable as well. Leah is in a hard spot. Her sister is mentally handicapped and in order to keep her in an asylum that will take good care of her she needs money and working as a governess does not pay enough so she take a spy job on the side. Julian has just taken over being an Earl and is finding it challenging in his new role. When he finds Leah in his room looking through h
Brittany
I won this book for free from the Goodread's First Reads giveaway.

"The Reluctant Earl" is a historical romance novel that takes place in England in 1816-1817. This is the first book I've read by this author and I would rate it around a 3.5/5. This is the first goodreads book that I won that I received gift wrapped by the author. I enjoyed that because winning books does feel like a present!

The two main characters in this book are Julian DeChambrelle, the new Earl of Chambelston, and Leah Vance w
Laura Chapman
Apr 03, 2013 Laura Chapman rated it really liked it
An earl strives to uncover the truth behind his father's untimely demise, and the plot thickens when he catches a governess trying to steal information in C.J. Chase's The Reluctant Earl.

After losing her only brother and her parents, Leah Vance is left virtually penniless. She is also left guardian of her sister, who lives in an asylum. With the family coffers depleted from financing her sister's care, and with her paltry salary as a governess inadequate to cover the costs, Leah has resorted to
E_bookpushers
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2013/02/07/...

Publisher: Love Inspired
Publish Date: Out now
How I got this book: ARC from the publisher via Netgalley

Caught in the Act

Alone in a gentleman’s bedchamber, rummaging through his clothing-governess Leah Vance risks social ruin. Only by selling political information can she pay for her sister’s care. And the letter she found in Julian DeChambrelle’s coat could be valuable-if the ex-sea captain himself had not just walked in.

As a
Kelly
Feb 14, 2013 Kelly rated it really liked it
It's probably a 3.5-star review, but I'm bumping it up to 4 because of the ending. I loved the ending.

This review also appears on Reading with Analysis.

There were so many things I liked about this book. The characters were complex and constructed with many shades of gray (especially Leah). While quite a few of the characters do some pretty awful things, not a one of them is without some redeeming quality and/or some powerful impetus.

What is right, in the context of all humanity? What is just? Th
IrenesBookReviews
Feb 04, 2013 IrenesBookReviews rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and read it in one sitting! From the first page you will want to read more about what is happening with these characters. The two main characters, Leah and Julian, relationship develops well and is actually believable.

I gave this book 5/5 stars. The setting is awesome and the characters are likable. I loved how the story unfolded. I enjoyed everything about this story. If you like Regency set stories this book is for you. If you like a little intrigue with your romance then th
Lucy
Aug 27, 2013 Lucy rated it liked it
2.5/5

Good aspects
The characters were likable, decent people.
There was a lot of stuff going on to engage me - estranged sister, invalid sister(s), political turmoil, murder mystery, and of course the romance. Unfortunately it didn't really excel in any of these areas (e.g. the political situation didn't feel as immediate as it could have been. I also think it would have been more interesting if Leah supported the rebels ideologically. I think the book's portrayal of class was inaccurate.)

Probabl
April
May 14, 2013 April rated it really liked it
Disclosure: This ebook was provided to me free of charge through NetGalley for the sole purpose of an honest review. All thoughts, comments, and ratings are my own.

Really interesting tale that had my attention the whole time. The pace was wonderful and the characters engaging. Great dynamic in the relationship that made it very believable. Beautiful storytelling that entertained the whole time!

It had really great flow and did the job of making me think at times. I love a book that taps into my e
Leah
Mar 30, 2013 Leah rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a first reads giveaway! I really enjoyed reading this book! the main character shares the same name as me (Leah) which makes her automatically awesome. She's also fierce, independent, kind and generous. The plot was intense! Lots of political stuff going on. Julian was very gentlemanly. I loved how, in the end, everything worked out and Julian and Leah were able to be together and return to their faith. The story had a great moral, "Trust in the lord and do good". I thought th ...more
Kelly_Instalove
Grade: B-

The power of her loneliness and longing flared through her, melting the strength from her bones.

And then he withdrew. Only inches, yet far enough to let the rush of common sense and regret return.

The suspense-y stuff came close to being a mess, but the relationship-building and chemistry, sustained by a strong authorial voice, made this a worthwhile read.
June
Apr 09, 2013 June rated it really liked it
Very good story with some mystery and mayhem. I like when characters who would normally be worlds apart find that they have so much more in common than anyone could imagine. I enjoyed this story very much.
Yui
Sep 06, 2013 Yui rated it did not like it
Got so bored 30pages in. I almost DNF but I didn't want to take another chancy book with my head ache so I jump right in the middle and with a few more little skips I reduced ny DNF list
Katrina Dutson
Apr 07, 2013 Katrina Dutson rated it really liked it
It was a great love story.
Rebecca Nightsong
Rebecca Nightsong rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Terrie Lyn
Terrie Lyn marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Natasha Niccum
Natasha Niccum marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Melinda Weprin
Melinda Weprin marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Sandra Myers
Sandra Myers marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 21, 2014 09:26AM
Love Inspired His...: C.J. Chase Interview and Giveaway 1 5 Feb 16, 2013 06:00AM
  • The Heiress's Homecoming (The Everard Legacy, #4)
  • Hill Country Cattleman (Brides of Simpson Creek, #6)
  • The Cowboy Tutor (Three Brides for Three Cowboys, #1)
  • Wooing the Schoolmarm (Pinewood Weddings, #1)
  • The Governess and Mr. Granville (The Parson's Daughters, #2)
  • Charity House Courtship (Charity House, #5)
  • Love on the Range
  • The Cowboy Lawman (Cooper Creek, #5)
  • The Baron's Governess Bride (Glass Slipper Brides, #2)
  • The Bride Next Door (Texas Grooms, #2)
  • The Runaway Bride
  • A Proper Companion (Ladies in Waiting, #1)
  • Family Lessons (Orphan Train, #1)
  • Captain of Her Heart (Brides of Waterloo, #1)
  • A Groom for Greta (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #3)
  • An Inconvenient Match
  • The Doctor's Mission
Winner of the 2010 Golden Heart for Best Inspirational Manuscript, C.J. Chase likes to make her characters solve mysteries, wrestle with the difficult issues of life and faith, and fall in love. All wrapped up with a happy ending, of course.

Like a character in one of her novels, C.J. took a circuitous route to her own happy ending as an author. Armed with a degree in statistics, she began a promis
More about C.J. Chase...