Start by marking “The One That Got Away” as Want to Read:
The One That Got Away

The One That Got Away

3.59  ·  Rating Details ·  1,086 Ratings  ·  118 Reviews
"The man who's always left her wanting more!"

Good job? "Tick." Newly purchased apartment? "Tick." Evie's life is on a pretty even keel at the moment. The only thing missing? A man with an edge to keep things interesting.

Enter Logan Black. Tortured, distant and sexy, Logan has edge written all over him. He's also the man who tipped Evie "over" the edge a few years back - sh

Mass Market Paperback, Harlequin KISS #1, 224 pages
Published January 22nd 2013 by Harlequin KISS (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The One That Got Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One That Got Away

Ana
Nov 30, 2012 Ana rated it really liked it

Evie and her business partner, Max, have a problem. They need 10 million dollars to jumpstart a building project that is perfect. Now, the problem is that they simply don't have it. But what Max does have is a trust fund that he will come into when he turns 30 (which is 2 years away) or when he gets married. Since they need the money rather desperately, they come up with a plan - simply get married, use the money, and then divorce after two years. Best laid plans and all that... :D

You s
scribes23
Feb 18, 2015 scribes23 rated it did not like it
.5/5 Malleable Stars

Evangeline "Evie" Jones

Logan Carmichael

That was one hell of a boring book.
Every word is like a pit stop that's begging for me to take a fuckin break. Even the sex scene was boring.

Okay, um. Let's just dig into the characters. First Evie/Angie/Evangeline is a former sex submissive. And her Dom? Is her business partner's brother Logan.

Logan and Evie shared a weekend, best and worst weekend as Evie described it. I hated the fact that she kept on saying that she ha
Nicola Marsh
I'm huge fan of Kelly Hunter's romances and this book is no exception.

Like the finest chocolate, it's rich, intense and satisfying.

I love a bad boy tortured hero and Logan is one of the best.

Could barely put it down.
Bri
Dec 30, 2012 Bri rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley-read

Let me start off this review by saying what a horrible disservice the cover art team at Harlequin did for this book. A happy-go-lucky couple on a beach with...balloons?? Even from the summary, I went into this expecting something so completely off from what I got that it was jarring.

This is not light-hearted. This is not fun. This is not a happy-go-lucky couple that smiles all the time and enjoys snuggling on the beach and flying balloons.

This is a story about pain. And demons. And fe
Jacqueline
I love Kelly Hunter. This one was nice but not her best. She took a risk here I think by skirting around the issue of domination and submission. These two had had a relationship 10 years before the book starts that was evidently of this nature and they broke up because the hero couldn't handle finding out that he was "into" that type of sex. He was afraid he would turn abusive like his father. The heroine was naturally submissive but here it is ten years later and she's learned to stand up for h ...more
Bree T
Evie’s life is going rather well at the moment. She and her friend Matt are running a very successful business, she’s bought her own house and they’ve just put in for a big tender. The only problem is they need capital due to the way the contract is structured.

Fortunately, Matt is the heir to quite a substantial fortune. Unfortunately, he either has to get married or wait two more years until he comes into his fifty million dollars. He proposes that he and Evie have a marriage of convenience in
Aman
Jan 23, 2013 Aman rated it liked it
Reviewed @ Enticed by Books

The One That Got Away is a book full of shocking surprises. Literally. The publishers marketed this book so wrongly, and it's unfair to the audience. The cover and premises of the book is completely misguided. The One That Got Away is not a happy, chocolates & balloons romantic book, it is much darker in a sense that the couple experiences D/S relationship. It's not graphic, but you know what happens when you read about the next morning scene explaining the after e
Desere
Dec 06, 2012 Desere rated it it was amazing
This was one seriously incredible read! I fell in love with the heartbroken and turmoil 'ed character of Logan,so much the man brought me to tears.

The author did a exquisite job at brining together the characters of Logan and Evie,two souls that are meant to be together yet there are demons from Logan's past that prevent him for letting go and finding happiness with the one woman that is his everything.

I loved how the author played with the erotic parts,letting me as reader pick up on the wild s
Dalia
Jan 15, 2013 Dalia rated it liked it
The cover gives the impression of light and breezy read. Which is deceptive. This book is more heavier and darker than Kelly Hunter usually writes.
Logan is a tortured hero. He lives in constant fear of turning out like his abusive father. He keeps everyone at arm length even his mother and half brother.
Evie is the only one to burrow under his skin and make him lose his self- control. Ten years ago, they had a wild fling - with him being too dominant and her being too submissive - but his loss
Carol
Feb 18, 2013 Carol rated it liked it
Hilly
2.75 stars. Not better than average. Superficial, like a magician’s trick: giving the illusion of substance but actually without depth.

It occurs to me that Kelly Hunter writes ghost stories, and that this is yet another one.

I want to begin by saying that the title of this book nearly made me skip it. FWIW, it should be "The One WHO Got Away", and so thanks very much to everyone involved for that grammatical inaccuracy right from the outset.

Another reason I nearly skipped it was because the buzz
Aarann
Great book. Logan and Evie were involved in a one-week extremely volatile borderline BDSM relationship a little over a decade ago. In present day, after agreeing to an emotionless name-only relationship with Logan's brother, Max (who she does not know is his brother) she comes home to meet the family, only to quickly find out that the man she once fell in love with is the half-brother of her fiance and business partner.

Honestly, there was a lot to make you go "huh?" with this novel, but a lot to
Susan
Feb 10, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Interesting book. Evie and Logan had a very intense one week encounter ten years ago, which ended when Logan decided that he had no control over himself when he was around her. Now she is a partner in a very successful construction business that is about to take on a big project. In order to do so, they need an infusion of cash so her partner suggests a marriage of convenience so he can get control of his trust fund. When he takes her to meet his family it turns out that his brother is Logan, wh ...more
Shirley Frances
Dec 15, 2012 Shirley Frances rated it really liked it
Evangeline is happy with her life. She is part owner of a business along with her best friend, Max. She enjoys what she does and has settled into a happy life even if at times she still remembers the man she spent the best week of her life with. Through an unconventional set of events she encounters this man again. Their chemistry is as powerful as it was ten years ago, but Evie is not the same woman she was back then.

Logan is as handsome and sexy as ever and Evie can't help but be drawn to him.
Danielle
Dec 09, 2012 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Review originally posted at Ramblings From This Chick

I was surprised by how much I liked this book and when I say liked I really mean loved. I loved this book. It was so good and I just couldn't put it down. Looking at the cover I thought I was going to be reading something light and cheery, but that was definitely not the case. This book was deep and filled with so much emotion.

Several years ago Evie and Logan spent one passion filled week together that left a lasting impression on both. Neit
Mitch
Feb 16, 2013 Mitch rated it liked it
This is the 2nd book I've read in Harlequin's "Kiss" series, and I think I will be an avid reader of others in the future. Although I must admit this book was a bit "darker" than I expected. And although it wasn't amazing, I did like it.

The following may or may not contain spoilers.

"The One That Got Away" by Kelly Hunter is about Evie, a woman who is planning to marry her business partner Max in order to help him obtain his trust fund. Enter Logan, the haunted man from Evie's past, the one who b
Jen
This cover is extremely deceptive. Do not judge this book by its cover. I think a cover with a darkly lit hotel room would be more appropriate...

That said, I loved every bit of this story—especially the beginning with the delicious unravelling. It's darker and sexier than what Hunter's usually come up with (although incidentally, the love scenes seem tame in comparison to the tone). So many stories nowadays fail to deliver the genuine emotional baggage that results in such erotic tension between
Judi
Excellent read but then it's Kelly Hunter and I'd expect no less. I'm not sure about this cover though? it certainly doesn't do the book justice nor do I feel it in any way represents what The One Who Got Away is even about. It might throw some people off who would maybe want to read this book and that would be a shame. This book is no light and breezy day at the beach.
Jess
Feb 20, 2015 Jess rated it really liked it
This was definitely darker than I was expecting from a book in the Kiss line, but I was into it. I liked the variety of relationships presented in the book, from the business partners to the hero/heroine to brothers and the dudes getting romantic. There was just a lot here and I was very happy to be reading it.
Kate Hewitt
May 30, 2013 Kate Hewitt rated it really liked it
I love Kelly Hunter's style and this book was different from most in the genre and so compelling. I only wish she'd gone a little farther with Logan's pleasure/pain dilemma, but I suspect she was reined in a little bit by editorial.
Tara
Nov 05, 2013 Tara rated it really liked it
I got this for free at Kmart. I don't remember why--I think it was free if I bought candy or something. This book was like candy for the brain. A little steamy with a predictable formula but fun anyway.
Harlequin Books
New Series!
You think of flirting as an art form! Harlequin KISS stories are all about the delirium of a potential new romance—where fun-loving heroines and irresistible heroes just can't get enough of each other.
Four new Harlequin KISS titles are available each month!
Wendy Marcus
Feb 21, 2013 Wendy Marcus rated it really liked it
Like other reviewers have mentioned, the cover of this book is misleading. I expected a fun/flirty read, but was happily surprised by the level of emotional depth in this well-told story. This is my first Kiss book as well as my first Kelly Hunter book and I really enjoyed it!
Tracy Zullo
Sep 05, 2016 Tracy Zullo rated it really liked it
Strong adult characters! This is why I love Kelly's writing. No one acting child like - or stupid. Real issues to with real adults addressing them.
Deb
Nov 12, 2014 Deb rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, romance
My first Mills & Boon! A quick easy read. Slightly over the top with the drama, but enjoyed the Melbourne and Sydney references.
Kaetrin
Nov 15, 2012 Kaetrin rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Why I read it: I picked this up from NetGalley. I'm fast becoming a major fan of Kelly Hunter.

What it's about: (from Goodreads) Good job? Tick. Newly purchased apartment? Tick. Evie's life is on a pretty even keel at the moment. The only thing missing? A man with an edge to keep things interesting. Enter Logan Black. Tortured, distant and sexy, Logan has edge written all over him. He's also the man who tipped Evie over the edge a few years back - she gave him everything, but he didn'
Julia Erlanger
Jan 10, 2015 Julia Erlanger rated it liked it
In The One That Got Away, Evie’s business partner Max proposes a deal: marry for two years platonically, so he can get his trust fund early and use some of it to finance their next big project (he’s an architect, she’s an engineer, and they want to design and build the new civic center). She agrees, but when she meets his family she discovers his older half-brother Logan is that Logan, the guy ten years ago who “ruined her for all other men.” Apparently.

So of course they have hot sex and the fak
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Nov 19, 2012 Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe) rated it it was amazing
I have read three titles from the Harlequin Kiss line now, and each has been vastly different in tone and texture. My previous forays into the Kiss line were a bit more light hearted and more in line with what I thought this line would be like. The One That Got Away caught me by surprise. This is a darker read, with flawed but likable characters. It delves into the fears of a man whose childhood was marred by abuse, and examines his deepest fear – that he will be as violent, controlling, and sel ...more
Joyfully Reviewed
Civil engineer, Evangeline “Evie” Jones has agreed to a MOC with her business partner Max Carmichael in order to access his trust fund. They have worked out all the finer details of the arrangement, but neither of them banked on the fact that Evie shared a past with Max’s half-brother Logan Black! A past that occurred eleven years previously in another time, another life, and Evie is no longer that submissive naïve girl “Angie” that she was then. Logan can’t handle Angie being in his life once a ...more
Alison
Not sure quite how to review this book.

Evangeline 'Evie' Jones and Max Carmichael run a small but successful construction company together in Sydney, Australia. They have the opportunity to bid for a large civic centre project, one which they want to do both financially and professionally, the only catch is that the construction company would need to fund the development until the foundations are laid, and since it is waterfront development that will involve a significant amount of time and mone
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 18, 2016 09:58AM
  • How to Get Over Your Ex (Valentine's Day Survival Guide duet)
  • The Downfall of a Good Girl (LaBlanc Sisters, #1)
  • Hitched!
  • Why Resist a Rebel?
  • It was Only a Kiss
  • First Time for Everything
  • Suddenly You (Porter Siblings, #2)
  • Her Man in Manhattan (Brannigan, #3)
  • Backstage with Her Ex
  • A Prior Engagement (Special Forces, #4)
  • All Bets Are On
  • The Secret Wedding Dress
  • The Guy to Be Seen With
  • Driving Her Crazy
  • Must Like Kids
  • One More Sleepless Night
Australian born Kelly Hunter is a three time Romance Writers of America Rita finalist, a USA Today Bestselling author and loves writing to the demands of the short category romance form.
More about Kelly Hunter...