Start by marking “Planting a Rainbow ” as Want to Read:
Planting a Rainbow

Planting a Rainbow

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  3,380 ratings  ·  157 reviews
This educational and enjoyable book helps children understand how to plant bulbs, seeds, and seedlings, and nurture their growth. Lois Ehlert's bold collage illustrations include six pages of staggered width, presenting all the flowers of each color of the rainbow.
Published February 28th 1992 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Planting a Rainbow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Planting a Rainbow

Miss Rumphius by Barbara CooneyThe Curious Garden by Peter  BrownThe Gardener by Sarah StewartPlanting a Rainbow by Lois EhlertMy Garden by Kevin Henkes
Picture Books About Gardens
4th out of 176 books — 89 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss
Best Picture Books
126th out of 1,498 books — 1,037 voters

More lists with this book...

Gulzar Malji
This is a story about a little girl and her mother who plant seeds in their garden. The girl sees these different coloured flowers come out but thinks they are rainbows.

This is a great book for EYFS, KS1 and KS2. Nursery can use this to be introduced to colours. Reception children will develop their KUW of how plants grow. We could bring in some real plants and flowers for the children. KS1 /2 will be able to use this to learn about the life cycle as part of science and perhaps base a lesson aro
Tanya Bornstein
This book so much fun! I love how they used the colors of the rainbow to help children understand how to plant seeds and tend to them. This book is quiet colorful and easy to read. Children will love it!

L.E: After reading this book allowed the children can plant their own seed in the classroom have each plant up by the window and the children can check its progress everyday and water it when they think it is needed.

Content:
1. Plants grow in the spring time.
2. Seeds need to be in warm soil to g
June
May 12, 2015 June rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents and early elementary or preshool children
Shelves: programbook, gardens
I use this every year for spring-flower-gardening story time. It is always a big hit with preschool. We end by making a flower picture on a flannel board. 1992

A girl picked this (I had her select, so she would listen to a story instead of going to the Early Learning computer.) tonight and had Ms. Piggy (her stuffed animal?) name all the colors (a boy and his dragon got in on the act too). 5/22/12

Used this for a preschool garden program, since we had it in a big book format and I had 2 day cares
Kelli Bratten
Louis Ehlert books are wonderful for the colorful illustrations and introduction of new words. Many of the plants will be new to the kids and will present new vocabulary. I would use this book for a kindergarten or first grade, possibly second grade classroom, since there are less words throughout the book. This book could be used on a unit in teaching living v. nonliving. As a class we would plant our own plants to ingrain the steps in the book and other books we would have read. Since many of ...more
Amanda Funnell
I loved the intentionality in this book...use of words that would stretch a child's vocabulary and plants that are labeled with the colors that the plant will grow to become.
midnightfaerie
We really enjoyed this book, the whole family. Bright colorful pictures, all about planting colorful flowers so you have a rainbow garden, this book is a solid level 1 reading book, as long as you don't count the names of the flowers. A great book to expand your vocabulary for flowers, although, even I had a difficult time remembering how to pronounce some of the names of the flowers.
Nell Adams
May 26, 2015 Nell Adams added it
Shelves: eng-355
This is a cute book that would most likely be more attractive for girls. The speaker is telling about how every year her and her mom plant a "rainbow". What she really means is they plant a bunch of colorful flowers. They plant them, then wait all winter and until spring can soften the soil and allow the plants to grow. She names a few of the flowers that they name and all of the colors that are present in their garden. They have red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple. This can be used for ...more
Donna
Colorful, sweet and simple story about a flower garden.
Cara Byrne
What a wonderful book to read on gray spring day to remind us that spring (with all of its liveliness and all of its colors) is just around the corner. I really love this book about gardening, and while I wish there was an adult male figure in the book as my daughter does most of her playing in the garden with her father, I appreciate the mom/child relationship and the weaving together of plants and colors in this book. It's perfect for a brief storytime or for right before bed!

A library storyti
Vivian
We have a giant class-room-size edition of this book, so of course it was selected to launch our garden-theme story time. (I say "we" because we have two story-performers, which really helps ratchet up the energy level). We didn't 'read' it verbatim, but instead pointed to the pictures and invited the children to name the color. For instance, on the page showing seed packets we asked, "What color is this?" and after they responded we'd say the name of the flower and invite them to repeat it with ...more
Evan Williamson
Apr 04, 2012 Evan Williamson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kids
As reviewed by a Friend of the Library and co-head of the Bannville Ladies Auxillary, Betsy Farmer

Summary
Oh, my goodness gracious, this book is the cutest thing in the whole wide world of sports, y’all! It’s all about this little girl that plants flowers with her mama and calls them rainbows cause of all the colors! Can you believe it? I almost cried because it was just like the time my mom took me to the Wal-Mart garden center and left me there to shop for three whole days til they got tired of
Lizzy
This book describes a child and her mother planting flowers in the garden every year. They plant many different seeds and bulbs to have a garden that has all the colors of the rainbow. It's a book that describes planting and introduces basic plant vocabulary in a visually enticing way. It is also good for color identification and appropriate for children of varying needs.
Theme: plants
Topic: Science- life cycle and what plants need to grow, color-identification
Angela Hutchinson
This book would be good to help teach about colors, spring, and/or flowers. The illustrations are full of color, yet simple. One way that I have used this book is by introducing flowers to Pre-K students when we planted our flower pots for Mother's Day. Normally, I started this project about late February or early March to give the plants time to grow and become strong for transplanting. Keep graphs of water schedule and growth.
Bix
This concept book will introduce toddlers to colors, while older children will also learn about types of flowers and some basics of gardening. An ABA 'Pick of the Lists' selection and an NSTA-CBC 'Outstanding Science Book for Children.' Recommended for school visits to a Kindergarten or first grade class."

CIP: "A mother and child plant a rainbow of flowers in the family garden."

SLJ: "PreSchool-Grade 1... [A] dazzling celebration of the colorful variety in a flower garden and the cyclical excitem
Aprils
I love flowers and rainbows, so this book is perfect for me. The illustrations are gorgeous. The two-page bouquet at the end is so beautiful. I can't wait to share this book with my own children someday. I would show this book to preschoolers in March to show them how some flowers grow from bulbs in the ground.
Kiera Turner
I love this book! I love the illustrations and the beautiful colorful flowers. I used this book during the theme growing and changing but more for the science part when the children were able to plant their own flower. I also loved the academic language in the book such as bulb, seed and seedlings.
Liz Todd
The K class loved this book.

Questioning: How can you plant a rainbow?

Close read: LOTS of great vocabulary to explore and plenty of visual and text-based clues provided.

Gianni Llano
I loved how the author used the word rainbow to describe a colorful garden. I especially loved the illustrations and colors used to emphasize the rainbow garden.
I enjoyed how the author sorted flowers by colors. I thought it was cute that she compared the flowers to a rainbow. I like how the book explains how gardens are made.
Joyce
Bright and colorful illustrations help teach kids about flowers and colors. Used in preschool visit to the library; students enjoyed shouting out the colors.
Athena
I like to turn the rainbow pages, but this book has too much going on for my baby brain right now. Mom says I can grow with this book, though.
Jill
Fun intro to plants and the seasons of planting and waiting. Fun for my daughter and I to read and it introduces you to several varieties of plants and flowers.
Jess
“Every year Mom and I plant a rainbow,” begins the unseen narrator, and readers are introduced not only to the rainbow, but to the process of planting and tending a garden and the life cycle of plants. The pictures are clear, with flat, bright colors, and text the text is used not only to tell the story of the garden but to identify plants through out the process. Each bulb is labeled, and then each seedling and plant as they grow. While the illustrations are somewhat stylized, they are clear en ...more
Tatiana
Ideas for using this book:
--Focus skill of categorizing
--Foldables for organizing flowers/plants by color
--Science/plants life cycle
Franklin Park Public Library
This bright and colorful book about flowers was a big hit in our spring-themed Storytime presented to the Park District Preschool classes.
Sarah Sammis
Besides being addicted to all things monster, Sean loves to garden. In the winter when it's too cold to plant flowers he likes to read about flowers. He recently read to me Planting a Rainbow by Lois Ehlert.

Lois Ehlert's bright illustrations made of primary colors and basic shapes go through the rainbow with suggestions of things to plant to get those different colors. Although it's a picture book it does provide the names of the different flowers and plants highlighted. It would make a good ref
Kelsey Ruggirello
This is a cute book about a daughter and a mom who plant flowers during the summer and how they plant them every summer.
Shawn Marie
If you have a garden lover like my daughter, they are sure to love this colorful book about planting a rainbow of flowers.
The illustrations are beautiful and the flower names are given so this can grow from a very young reader's book into something for slightly older gardeners.
Gracie
This book is great for teaching the rainbow order as well as the plant life cycle. It would be great to use in science!
  • Flower Garden
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • Barnyard Banter
  • The Tiny Seed
  • The Deep Blue Sea: A Book of Colors
  • Muncha! Muncha! Muncha!
  • The Reason for a Flower