Start by marking “Little Foxes” as Want to Read:
Little Foxes

Little Foxes

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  334 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Bullied at school, nagged at home, there's only one place Billy feels really alive and happy—in the wilderness by the canal. There he watches over a family of fox cubs as they grow toward maturity. Then his secret is discovered, and the fox family is decimated. Unwanted, unloved, Billy and the one surviving fox cub run for their lives. Michael Morpurgo’s compassionate stor ...more
Published November 1st 2002 by Egmont UK (first published June 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Little Foxes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Foxes

Watership Down by Richard AdamsBlack Beauty by Anna SewellCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteAnimal Farm by George OrwellInto the Wild by Erin Hunter
Best Animal Themed Books
430th out of 449 books — 435 voters
Sweet Dance Of Awakening by Virginia AirdThe Trial by Shay Lynam"Trip With Destiny, A" by Virginia AirdGenesis by Lara MorganDark Star by Lara Morgan
E-Library [vol.2]
102nd out of 102 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Olivia
Well where do I start??? This is possibly the worst Pre-teen book I have ever read. I love Michael morpurgo but in my opinion this was absolutely boring. There was hardly any speech which can sometimes be a good thing but in this case it wasn't.

The plot I didn't find at all interesting. I regret reading this. I didn't even want to continue reading it but I knew that I had to finish it.

It took me almost a month to finish and it was only 200 pages at the moment I am also reading Eldest by Christo
Tegan
Oct 10, 2015 Tegan rated it liked it
A nice enough story. A boy with a stutter, used to being shuffled between foster homes, discovers happiness in the animals of the Wilderness. There were some things that were quirky and charming, but the pacing throughout the middle was a little slow. Overall, a sweet story with a satisfying conclusion.
Sydney Logozzo
May 26, 2014 Sydney Logozzo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

Amazing!

I loved this book to the very deep soul. The one thing I didn't like was how short it seemed for me. I so so SO wanted to read more about Billy's life with his new parents. It left me with suspense and love. Was the swan trying to get Billy a home?, that was the question for me. Leave in the comments what you think about this book. A MUST read.
Sinéad
Michelle Wiles
May 22, 2015 Michelle Wiles rated it really liked it
This was a lovely, heart warming story about a boy who loves a fox. I would definitely recommend and not just to children either. It was a worthwhile read.
MistyWish
Jun 07, 2015 MistyWish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not saying I don't love this book I do I just wished it was more involved with the foxes but I did truly feel for this book
Mags Gourley
Jan 19, 2014 Mags Gourley rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written book about caring for nature and wildlife- about an orphan boy on the run with his fox. The writer weaves his magic spell as you are transformed with them on their journey. You wonder how it's going to end- will they be found, what will happen to them? As a good story teller does he wraps all things up neatly at the end with a positive outcome. Amazing....
Catia LM
Sep 09, 2015 Catia LM rated it liked it
It was ok
Georgia
Sep 30, 2014 Georgia rated it it was amazing
sad
Chloe
Dec 16, 2013 Chloe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Quick thoughts: Read it because I got it for my brother some time ago. He seems to like the idea of having books more than he actually likes reading. I was a little bored by it but there were some cute parts, and I'll probably give it to my younger brother to read for school. I remember a couple of Morpurgo books I really enjoyed as a child and re-read often, but I don't seem to enjoy his books as much now. I think my little brother will find it charming though.
Lori
Jun 01, 2015 Lori rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-kids
LOVED the reader of the audio version
Carmen Wong
Aug 01, 2012 Carmen Wong rated it really liked it
This book is excellent for children and definitely easier than War Horse (in terms of reading level and the themes explored). The protagonist is a boy and the animal/wilderness plot makes it all the more suitable for boys that are reluctant readers. Michael Morpurgo never disappoints!
Abbie
May 21, 2014 Abbie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was ok. I got slightly bored but the ending was cute. It just dragged on a bit and I was on the verge of starting another book but I kept going. There were some good parts but it definitely didn't make my favourite book list.
Liz Neville
Mar 17, 2013 Liz Neville rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first Michael Morpurgo book I have read, and I can see why children and adults love him. Beautifully written, though often using language that might be challenging for children, it was a joy to read aloud to my sons.
Candycloud
I kept on going:(view spoiler)

If you want a book to just get on with it, then this book is NOT for you. I really liked it though...
D Cox
Dec 23, 2015 D Cox rated it liked it
I think I'm supposed to Like Morpurgo.

I've read this and War Horse. Neither rocked my world. But the children I teach do like them.

This was a nicer story though.
Emily
Jul 19, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library, ks2
Loved this story! Engaging and fast paced, full of great descriptions and convincing characters. Not sure I'd be able to use it for a class read as it made me cry!
I love this book so much, it was such a sweet story and the first Michael Morpurgo book I read and got me interested into the other books he wrote.
Katie Newill
This was a cute little read to get me through my day, although it was a little sad in areas it was overall a sweet little story:)
Suzy Wedley
Sep 08, 2012 Suzy Wedley rated it liked it
nice book for the younger Morpurgo fan. Not a patch on Private Peaceful et al.
Pipa Guest
Aug 19, 2014 Pipa Guest rated it it was amazing
Love these books. Great animal story with a beautiful ending.
Heather
Sep 04, 2009 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is really good but sad. The foxes and the swan are really sweet!
Lara
Aug 26, 2012 Lara rated it it was amazing
very sweetand, like heather, i liked the swan and the foxes :)
Kirsten Crowley
Dec 09, 2010 Kirsten Crowley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovely story, would be very suitable to read to a class.
Ezamoosh
I love that story. And swan, you are an angel <3
Rachel
Jan 07, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Good Book! Keeps you occupied.
Lorna
Oct 27, 2012 Lorna rated it liked it
It was quite a sad book but a good one!
Lauren stephens
Jul 02, 2012 Lauren stephens rated it really liked it
sad story!!!
Jazmin Tiya
Jan 15, 2016 Jazmin Tiya rated it it was amazing
Cool
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
  • The Fox Cub Bold (Farthing Wood, #4)
  • Jolly Tall
  • Wolf at the Window (Animal Ark Hauntings #7)
  • The Secret History of Tom Trueheart (Tom Trueheart, #1)
  • The Cry of the Wolf
  • Bella's Gift
  • Tales of Uncle Remus: The Adventures of Brer Rabbit
  • Katie and the Mustang #2 (Hoofbeats: Katie and the Mustang, #2)
  • The Very Lazy Ladybug Pop-Up
  • Saying Goodbye to Lulu
  • A Horse Named Dragon (The Boxcar Children, #114)
  • The Mopwater Files (Hank the Cowdog, #28)
  • Issie and the Christmas Pony (Pony Club Secrets)
  • The Last Leopard (Animal Healer, #3)
  • I Don't Want to Go to Bed!
  • Attica
  • First Snow in the Woods: A Photographic Fantasy
  • Floss
Michael Morpurgo is the author of many books for children, five of which have been made into films. He also writes his own screenplays and libretti for opera. Born in St Albans, Hertfordshire, in 1943, he was evacuated to Cumberland during the last years of the war, then returned to London, moving later to Essex. After a brief and unsuccessful spell in the army, he took up teaching and started to ...more
More about Michael Morpurgo...