Start by marking “Let the Old Dreams Die” as Want to Read:
Let the Old Dreams Die

Let the Old Dreams Die

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  1,564 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Whatever happened to Oskar and Eli?
And what became of the beleaguered families in Handling the Undead?
Find out in Let the Old Dreams Die.

In other tales from this collection, a woman finds a dead body and decides to keep it for herself, a customs officer has a mysterious gift which enables him to see what others hide, and a man believes he knows how to deceive death.

The
Published October 2012 by Text Publishing (Aust) (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Let the Old Dreams Die, please sign up.

Tal E. They are not the main characters appearing instead retrospectively, in a short story that involves a Police Officer who investigated the Case, a…moreThey are not the main characters appearing instead retrospectively, in a short story that involves a Police Officer who investigated the Case, a Witness and the narrator who recalls the Case and once saw them. It's a very good story. Quite moving. Enjoyed the whole book. The location where the events of Let the Right One is set appears in a couple of stories too.(less)

Christy
Oct 06, 2016 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lindqvist fans, horror lovers, those into the Lovecraft Mythos--almost a must in some cases
4* ...If you love Lindqvist; or really trippy, modern Lovecratian horror stories, then you'll probably like this one...in fact, some understanding of the mythos is necessary to fully appreciate some of these stories, otherwise some cannot be truly appreciated at all.

I'm going to talk about the book as a whole first, before I move on to several incredible stories, mixed in with a few fillers. The majority of stories are very unusual...and quit entertaining! I actually was only interested in the
Paula
Sep 07, 2012 Paula rated it it was amazing
I am a massive fan of John Ajvide Lindqvist, I have loved all of his books so far and I cannot wait for his next one to be released. ‘Let the Old Dreams Die’ is a collection of stories which are surreal, complex, dark and as always, gives you an insight into the human psyche, where ordinary people experience the extraordinary.

I was particularly looking forward to the stories ‘Let the Old Dreams Die’, where you find out what happened to Oskar and Eli from ‘Let The Right One In’ alongside a story
Heidi Ward
Wow, this book took me a long time to read. Not in a bad way; it's just that Lindqvist's first collection of short stores, while beautifully written (and beautifully translated by Ebba Segerberg), is dense, with the majority of the dozen stories on the long side, some to good and others to not-so-great effect.

Fortunately, there were only two stories I simply didn't care for in Let the Old Dreams Die. One, "To Put My Arms Around You, to Music," Linqvist admits in his amusing afterword, nobody but
Keith Chawgo
Aug 30, 2012 Keith Chawgo rated it really liked it
John Ajvide Lindqvist collection of short stories are compiled together from different sources to comprise 'Let The Old Dreams Die'. The stories range from love lost, to updates from his novels which include 'The Harbour', 'Let The Right One In' and 'Handling the Undead' which gives an insight to what happened either to the situation, the towns where the stories took place or to some of the characters. There is also stories included that have nothing to do with anything he has written before.

For
Kathy
I will review each story as I read them.

1. Border
What a unique story!!! I'm still not entirely sure what to make of it. It tells the story of Tina, a scarred woman....physically and emotionally....who works as border security. She has a talent for knowing when someone is hiding something. She is very good at her job. Until she meets a strange man, who she's convinced is trying to smuggle something in, but all searches find nothing. There is something about this man that she can't put her finger
Wayne Barrett

Not a bad collection of short stories but I was disappointed,if only because earlier in the year I read 'Let The Right One In' and I was blown away. This collection didn't come close to the quality of the earlier novel.

I thought I would get more insight as to what happened to Oskar and Ellie from 'Let The Right One In', but even though the story 'Let The Old Dreams Die' mentioned them and took place in their original setting, it really wasn't focused on them nor did it end giving any clue to the
Džana Doo
Even if I love John Ajvide Lindqvist it took a really long time for me to read this book, mainly because my friends told me that it's bad and unnecessary compared to his other work but I have to disagree. Maybe it is because I had low expectations but I really enjoyed reading the novels and it's interesting to see what a writer writes when it's not a "real novel". The pieces that I liked, I REALLY liked, for example Sommarprogram i P1 2006, Elda telefonkataloger, Tindalos and Tjejen. The eerie m ...more
Thomas Edmund
May 29, 2016 Thomas Edmund rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In let the Old Dreams Die, Lindqvist provides a set of compelling, twisted, and frightening short stories that I highly recommend. The tales range from unsettling, such as Border and Itsy Bitsy. To outright scary, Equinox. And occasionally deep meaningful and terrifying, Eternal/love.

The majority of the stories are brilliant, Lindqvist has a talent for creating relatable characters in short spaces of time, although I do wonder at his focus on characters being snoops. Often the driving force of t
Oct 04, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall a very good collection of stories. The first two in particular. I love how the author can mix the supernatural with the ordinary and make both creepy.

I prefer my horror to be based on reality, or as close to realism as possible. And these stories have that element.

I would recommend these to any horror fan.

1 - Border (4.5/5)
People are horrible, and this story is another glimpse of the nastiness inside people. The conversation between Jerry and Tina, so sad.
Realistic things seeming a bit w
Rade
Being a huge fan of "Let the Right one In", I thought to give this one a try, especially when I read that the final story in the book would be a sequel to it. Sequel is used very loosely here as it mentions the two main characters from that book, few details about them, their home, police investigation, and few other minor details. However, that story, titled “Let the Old Dreams Die”,is very unique and sad, making it my favorite in this collection.

"Tindalos", "Majken", and “To Put My Arms Aroun
Sharon
Apr 22, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
After reading "Little Star" recently and being rather disappointed with it, I'm so glad I can say that I really enjoyed "Let The Old Dreams Die", right down to the Afterword. I'd say my favourite stories were "Substitute", "Eternal/Love" and the sequel to Handling The Undead, "The Final Processing", but I enjoyed all the stories here although I didn't understand "To hold you while the music plays" until I had re-read it with the (then) knowledge of what it was maybe actually about. And of course ...more
Monika
Nov 24, 2013 Monika rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Jag har ju som ett eget litet projekt en önskan att ta mig igenom John Ajvide Lindqvists alster, i kronologisk ordning om möjligt. Novellsamlingen Låt de gamla drömmarna dö kom ut 2011 så jag är nästan ifatt nu. Samlingen består inte bara av noveller, utan innehåller också lite blandade texter. En del tidigare publicerade, andra inte. Läs mer på min blogg
Justin
Lindqvist’s first short fiction collection includes twelve stories with follow-ups to his first two novels, Let the Right One In and Handling the Undead. Most of the stories contain a supernatural element, some cosmic horror, and some rely on psychological horror. Either way, Lindqvist writes of a variety of weird occurrences involving relatable characters.

“The Border”
A woman who works for customs encounters a mysterious man and discovers the origins behind her own past. This was a unique story
Thomas Padley
i will keep this short as i don't really like to review books with short stories, plus i am quite ill at the moment and the thought of typing a lengthy reviews makes me feel even more sick than i already do :) in any case this is my first time reading Lindqvist so as you can understand i skipped the story based on the 'aftermath' of the 'let the right one in' just in fear that it might spoil things for me when i do get around to reading the book which I do intend to do, as for the others, some r ...more
Sharon
Dec 30, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't want this collection to end! This collection features delightfully different macabre and supernatural events from trolls to vampires and zombies. Some stories are straightforward yarns others a bit more obscure and demand thinking about! My favourite two in the collection are the first story- Borders about a woman who works as a customs officer who learns something about herself and a suspicious traveller that will change everything... to say more would be to give too much away in the s ...more
Annalise
Aug 21, 2013 Annalise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I loved Lindqvist's Let the Right One In and I'm a fan of both the original and American film adaptations. That is why I was super excited when I saw a giveaway of Let the Old Dreams Die... and even more excited when I won :) I have to add that this rating is based on all the short stories except Final Processing as I have not yet gotten my hands on Handling the Undead. With that being said, as with all books of short stories there are some I enjoyed, some that were strange (in a good way!), and ...more
Minna
A really uneven collection of short stories and novellas from Sweden's own Stephen King. It feels as if this is a filler book in wait for a new novel. The author himself has said that this is something he gave to the publishers so they would get off his case. He gace them stories that he really didn't like or feel were good enough and that feeling shines through in some of the stories.

There is a new audio/mp3-book out that I'm planning to listen to, called Tjärven. I have a good feeling about i
Rebecca McNutt
I really loved the novel Let the Right One In so I was really looking forward to this book, which not only offered a short story sequel but also offered a series of others to go along with Lindqvist's other books. I think that these stories were good, but they sort of felt rushed, as if the author had been in a hurry to write them.
Jake
Aug 24, 2012 Jake rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good collection of short stories, however I personally believe that there was absolutely no point for John to write a short story deplicting the future of Eli and Oskar. As it was quite clear to me that Eli and Oskar's relationship is radically different from his/her relationship with Hakan.
Annelien
A bunch of very different short stories, two of which revisit the worlds from 'let the right one in' and 'handling the undead'. Each has its own world, explaining short or long. I gladly compare this collection to the likes of Neil Gaiman.
Fernando
Apr 02, 2017 Fernando rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
¿Que paso con Eli y Oskar después de la masacre de "déjame entrar"? La respuesta está en la historia " let The old dreams die" ( misma que le da título al libro), está historia me dejo con un sentimiento de haber leído un final feliz... y la simpatía por las personas que se quieren tanto, que no soportarían la vida sin el otro.

Mis favoritos además de "Let The old dreams die":
-The border
-Eternal/Love
-Equinox

Creo que estas historias contrastan bastante con las demás y realzan el libro.
Jam Sinclair
Jan 16, 2015 Jam Sinclair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection is brilliant, and I imagine would be enjoyed by most if not all horror fans. I discovered Lindqvist in a collection of different authors recently (A Book Of Horrors) and instantly liked his style of writing.
As a King fan, I feel very "at home" reading his work. Atmosphere and settings are described very well.. you connect wth the characters.. I was there in all the stories!
I noticed quite a few other reviews saying it took people a long time to read. I couldnt put it down! When
Sam
Aug 28, 2012 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Like most books of short stories, some stories were better than others. Being Lindqvist, you never know what the next story holds. Though I enjoyed pretty much all the stories, I particularly enjoyed "Equinox" and "Let The Old Dreams Die". The only story I didn't like was "To Hold You While The Music Plays" which is perfectly normally according to the afterwards - "They've all had their own favourite. Except "To Hold You While The Music Plays". Nobody likes that one, apart from me." - I normally ...more
Tiziana
Once again, Lindqvist doesn't fail to surprise and shock in this collection of short stories. I liked many of the stories but some seemed to be pointless or just 'too much' and this disparity made the collection look rather uneven.
I liked "Let the Old Dreams Die" although I had expected it to be more Oskar/Eli-centric. "The final processing", which is the sequel to "Handling the Undead" was good too. Both these stories can stand alone.
My favourite story was "Border" and I was extremely pleased t
Andreea Mînzăraru
Plain disgusting. Don't recommend it. There's nothing horror, no goosebumps or shivers down the spine while reading it... just nausea. To quote one of the stories: "I undid my trousers and took out my sodden sanitary towel. I painted you red. Chest, arms, legs. To finish off I tried to force the towel into your mouth, but it was too tightly closed. I placed it over your eyes instead. Then I left". In case that's not disgusting enough, the woman is "painting" a dead body, after she has just put o ...more
Jonathan Scobie
May 07, 2013 Jonathan Scobie rated it really liked it
I love this writer. I think he's invented a new genre of 'ironic horror' and I just love wherever he goes with it, even though I hesitated reading this collection at first. I suspected it of being a 'filler' between novels, but instead its a wonderful riff on the ideas in "Let the Right One In" and "Handling the Undead". I doubt that he's a James Joyce fan, but the highest praise I can offer is that the final story, "The Final Processing", which is essentially a sequel/conclusion to "Handling th ...more
Lynn
Aug 19, 2012 Lynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-horror
I truly believe that Lindqvist can't do anything wrong in the world of literature. This collection of short stories is one of those books you can just pick up at any time and be cajoled into sitting for longer than you really wanted to. I've savoured every page of beautiful writing like a favourite chocolate melting on the tongue. This man is a genius and I sorely urge everyone to read at least one of his masterpieces!
Ashleigh
Apr 12, 2015 Ashleigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let the right one in is still vivid in my mind after all this time. It's a book I tell people about a lot. So you can imagine my happiness upon discovering this in the library. I really enjoyed these stories and I loved how the author referred back to the original novel throughout. Some are a bit fantasy based and some are more horror based. They all have that amazing scandi mood that I love. If you're a scandi fan then pick it up!
Alejandra
Oct 23, 2012 Alejandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a treat! Eleven short stories by Lindqvist! As expected, they are all disturbing and filled with the unimaginable. There were a couple I just didn't get, like Paper Walls and To Hold You While the Music Plays, and then there were superb ones, like Border and Equinox. All in all, it's a good, quick read for a quick horror fix.
Jonas Toftefors
Noveller är både Ajvides styrka och svaghet. Han går från rena bottennapp till riktiga höjdpunkter bara med någon sidas mellanrum. Tindalos är riktigt bra men "känner du Rudi Schmerz" del 1 är mest bara konstig. Många texter i denna bok är självutlämnande och man blir nyfiken på honom som människa.
  • Martyrs and Monsters
  • Blood and Water and Other Tales
  • Sankta Psyko
  • The Ones That Got Away
  • Monstrous Affections
  • The Colour Out of Space: Tales of Cosmic Horror by Lovecraft, Blackwood, Machen, Poe, and Other Masters of the Weird
  • Högre än alla himlar
  • Toybox
  • Den femte årstiden
  • 100 Ghastly Little Ghost Stories
  • Supernatural Noir
  • The Children of Old Leech: A Tribute to the Carnivorous Cosmos of Laird Barron
John Ajvide Lindqvist (John Erik Ajvide Lindqvist) is a Swedish author who grew up in Blackeberg, the setting for Let the Right One In . Wanting to become something awful and fantastic, he first became a conjurer, and then was a stand-up comedian for twelve years. He has also written for Swedish television.

His Let the Right One In was a bestseller in Sweden and was named Best Novel in Translati
More about John Ajvide Lindqvist...

“That's how things are these days: everything must move aside to make room for the new, all the time.” 9 likes
“And that's the bottom layer in old boxes: melancholy, an indefinable sense of loss. You dig around and it comes swirling up to the top” 6 likes