Start by marking “Viva o Alasca!” as Want to Read:
Viva o Alasca!

Viva o Alasca! (Calvin and Hobbes #3)

4.7  ·  Rating Details ·  10,201 Ratings  ·  203 Reviews
The spirit of childhood leaps to life again with boundless energy and magic in Yukon Ho!, a collection of adventures featuring rambunctious six-year-old Calvin and his co-conspirator tiger-chum, Hobbes. Picking up where The Essential Calvin and Hobbes left off, Yukon Ho! is a delight!
Published 1997 by Gradiva Publicações (first published March 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Viva o Alasca!, please sign up.

Ella Freeman You sadly can't READ books on Goodreads but you can get the books you want at your local library, The Overdrive library app, or buying it on your…moreYou sadly can't READ books on Goodreads but you can get the books you want at your local library, The Overdrive library app, or buying it on your device(less)

J.G. Keely
May 26, 2007 J.G. Keely rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It can be really difficult to critique a work like this. Calvin and Hobbes stands as perhaps the greatest strip ever, along with grandpappy Peanuts and the bizarrely inimitable Little Nemo. Of course, as a child, I never knew that Calvin was a man who thought heaven was a lottery or that Hobbes was the father of rational political philosophy. However, truly great children's literature should never be inaccessible to adults. If it is, then its popularity amongst children stems merely from its abi ...more
Shayantani Das
description

Calvin and Hobbes hugs always have me melting into a puddle of 'awwyy', sobbing, “choo chweet” saying mess.
Jaya
Dec 08, 2016 Jaya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
♥♥♥
These two never disappoint. They really do have the answers to all your woes.
Prashant
May 29, 2012 Prashant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
description

I just love this kid's ingenuity and cognition. :)
Brenda Gibson
Mar 12, 2017 Brenda Gibson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challies-2017
It's Calvin & Hobbes. That says all that needs to be said. Who doesn't love this six-year-old and his stuffed tiger?
Juliet
Mar 10, 2017 Juliet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it.
Natasha
Jan 26, 2016 Natasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Natasha by: Tara
Shelves: humor
This is my favorite Calvin & Hobbes, which goes without saying that it is also my all-time-favorite comic book.

Calvin noting in his travel log: "Journey to the Yukon: Day one. Have traveled twenty minutes. No snow so far."
Hobbes suggests adding: "Food supplies low." [while eating the first of 2 sandwiches packed for the journey]
Calvin: "Nevertheless, morale is high as we push north."
Hobbes: MY morale would be a lot higher if YOU'D carry the toboggan [sparking a tussle over the "commander hat
David Caldwell
When I was working in any of the many bookstores where I was employed and I did not want (or have the time) to read my current book, I would grab one of these collections to read on my too short break. I slowly but surely worked my way through several series. These are great time killers and will usually improve your mood no matter how hectic the day. Laughter can be the best solution to dealing with the public.

A lot of people think Calvin is a brat. I don't believe that. It is true that he woul
fox
Príjemné, oddychové, úsmevné. Calvin má v zásobe množstvo nápadov a s Hobbesom sú tá najneodolateľnejšia dvojica na svete. Ak by som hodnotila knihu samostatne, tak to bude o hviezdičku viac, ale v porovnaní s obomi predchádzajúcimi dielmi je tu podstatne menej originálnych motívov, sú to skôr variácie na už známe zápletky. Stále je to zábava, ibaže som čakala trochu viac.
Matti Karjalainen
Bill Wattersonin "Erämaa kutsuu" (Egmont, 2009) pitää sisällään strippejä 1980-luvun loppupuolelta. Lelutiikerin ja vähän liiankin hyvällä mielikuvituksella varustetun kuusivuotiaan pojan ystävyydestä syntyy hauskaa, ajatonta, hienosti piirrettyä sanomalehtisarjakuvaa.
Harini
Trust Calvin and Hobbes to cheer you up after a bad day! I love the kid and this stuffed tiger...oops.. Hobbes!
Jack
Jul 25, 2011 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that Jack wanted to review first. :)

CALVIN AND HOBBES – YUKON HO!

Jack: Well, I really love Calvin and Hobbes because it’s you know very funny! It’s like when they were riding on the magic carpet and Hobbes said “Is this legal? Do you have your registration and proof of insurance?” Hahahahaha. (Jack laughed harder at this line than I’ve heard him laugh in a long time!)

me: What would you tel
PurplyCookie
Calvin is the hero of all children with wildly vivid imaginations. He has great fun with his stuffed tiger Hobbes, going on numerous great adventures, including an attempted trip to the Yukon. Calvin is fairly typical in the sense that such children tend to drive their parents and teachers crazy, yet when they learn to temper and channel their imagination, they often end up doing spectacularly creative things as adults.

From the beginning of the book where Calvin is convinced that he and Hobbes
Mike Jensen
I finally figured out why I do not like this strip. I've known for a long time that Bill Watterson is a talented and imaginative guy, a fairly good writer and a fairly good artist (in the terms that Charles M. Schulz used to describe what cartoonists do), but I did not like CALVIN AND HOBBS. I thought one reason was that Mr. Watterson did not stay true to his premise, and he doesn't, but giving himself that freedom allowed him to take the continuity to imaginative places that paid off in other w ...more
Mark
Jul 19, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Collecting cartoons originally published between May 1987 and February 1988, this is another fantastic Calvin & Hobbes collection from Bill Watterson and it’s a real treat to read. Full of great strips and imagery, my highlights include fishing with rocks, a water balloon fight with Susie (that, typically, goes very badly for Calvin), a trip to the doctors, the time machine, waking up early for Santa, Uncle Max and pampering by “mom”. There are two longer arcs, both of which work superbly. T ...more
Willow Redd
Dec 30, 2016 Willow Redd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here we have the last of the Calvin and Hobbes books from my youth. At least, the last that I owned in my youth.

What more can I say about Calvin and Hobbes? It remains my favorite comic strip of all time. Watterson was amazing. He created a strip that could literally go just about anywhere, solely using the power of Calvin's imagination. Bill feel like drawing dinosaurs that week? Calvin invents a time machine (which we see its maiden voyage in this collection). Feeling the need for a little sci
The other John
Oct 06, 2007 The other John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: braincandy
I really am reading things other than comic strip collections. In fact, right now I'm working on an epic fantasy tale, a presidential biography and biblical commentary. It's just that all those take a long time to finish and comics can be read oh, so quickly. Anyway, this third Calvin and Hobbes collection sees some longer storylines, including an expedition towards the Yukon and a visit from Calvin's Uncle Max. (I kinda wish ol' Max had made a return to the strip, but I guess Mr. Watterson had ...more
Alastair Hudson
Oct 11, 2016 Alastair Hudson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, graphics
Lovely.

The third collection and Calvin starts to spread his wings as tertiary characters are introduced and filled out. The great outdoors beckons and starts to become a beautiful place as Calvin's world gets a bit more complicated.
Dan
Aug 02, 2011 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calvin and Hobbes books are great fun and really witty humor! A childhood staple comic book for me, but even now I go back and read them and understand the humor on a different level (now that I know the meanings of some of the words!). Great books.
Eq Meyer
Funny
Ron
Sep 04, 2008 Ron rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, graphic
Okay, they weren't all that great, but still worth reading over and over.
James
Mar 12, 2017 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, classics
Always good for a laugh and some insight. A book from my childhood that I owned.
Carin
May 06, 2008 Carin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Sometimes you need a break. Even from something you love love love like reading. But I've been working too much and my work is reading (I am an editor) and so I've had trouble this week with reading. After working on an academic index for 10 hours in one day, my husband recommended that I read a comic book and I was like "Yes! Calvin and Hobbes!"

I have most of the books to choose from but I didn't want a treasury because those sometimes don't have the storylines all the way through but I also di
Ayse
Feb 21, 2017 Ayse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
One of the Best Calvin and Hobbes books. Its the best medicine for parenthood, winter blues and old age. This is one of the most treasured books in our house, it travelled with us, went to beach, slept in our bed, dined and lunched at our table, went to school daily for a while, even went to hospital on one occasion. Read on a routine basis, every year.
We love Calvin and Hobbes.
Angel
Nov 08, 2016 Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Primeras impresiones

Calvin y Hobbes no son ningunos extraños en Libresco, pueden dar click aquí y aquí para leer las reseñas pasadas. Este es el tercer volumen que Editorial Océano acaba de publicar, aunque tampoco será el último y yo estoy feliz por eso.

Mi reseña

Conocí a Calvin y Hobbes por un amigo que tenía algunos compendios en inglés entre sus libros. Recuerdo que devoré algunos de ellos y me enamoré de los personajes, lo cuál supongo en completamente normal para los que hayan tenido la opo
Patricia Boyle
I am an avid Calvin & Hobbes fan. I read selections from my Calvin & Hobbes collection every night before going to bed.
Debi
Jul 05, 2011 Debi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that Jack wanted to review first. :)

CALVIN AND HOBBES - YUKON HO!

me: So what do you think of Calvin and Hobbes? I hear lots of laughing going on over there...

Jack: Well, I really love Calvin and Hobbes because it's you know very funny! It's like when they were riding on the magic carpet and Hobbes said "Is this legal? Do you have your registration and proof of insurance?" Hahahahaha. (Jack laughed harder at this line than I've heard him laugh in a long time!)

me: What would you t
Kurtbg
Aug 04, 2013 Kurtbg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
If you remember the late eighties then you remember the Calvin & Hobbes comic strip. The strip was focused on Calvin, a young and imaginative boy, an explorer of youth and his perception of the adult world. The Clark to his Lewis, is Hobbes, Calvin's stuffed animal tiger. I always enjoyed the facial expressions and the social commenting.

At another look Calvin is really an anti-social and scared little boy. He has absolutely no friends. Everyone is an antagonistic in a world where he feels th
Athira Mohan
Feb 12, 2017 Athira Mohan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calvin and Hobbes for me, is not just another book. It is sheer wisdom and beauty! I've been re- reading the volumes for a while, and Calvin, Hobbes, Mrs Wormwood and Susie are as familiar to me as next door neighbors. It is my go to go fix when I'm sad, and its amazing how it lifts one's spirits up. This is not just another funny comic strip, but the philosophy and politics this carries shocks you sometimes. I can go on like this forever, but really, let me smother myself in another series.
Sathursan.K
Mar 27, 2013 Sathursan.K rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, apr2013
This book,"Calvin and Hobbes: Yukon Ho!" is about many short stories of the adventures of Calvin and Hobbes. Calvin and Hobbes goes on crazy adventures in Calvin's life that makes his fathers and friends annoyed by his actions. He gets to lots of trouble and home and at school with Hobbes along his side. Calvin has huge imaginations in his heads that affects everyone. Hobbes isn't real but a tiger toy that seems to become a living creature. There are many comics to choose from in this book of t ...more
Calvin and Hobbes Discussion 8 33 Jan 06, 2015 09:05AM
Class of 2014: Book Review 1 3 May 28, 2013 05:26PM
  • Hound of The Far Side
  • Encyclopedias Brown and White: A Foxtrot Collection
  • The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more
More about Bill Watterson...

Calvin and Hobbes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Calvin and Hobbes