Start by marking “Viva o Alasca!” as Want to Read:
Viva o Alasca!

Viva o Alasca! (Calvin and Hobbes #3)

4.7 of 5 stars 4.70  ·  rating details  ·  9,247 ratings  ·  157 reviews
YUKON HO! marks the hilarious hat-trick of the hugely popular cartoon characters Calvin and Hobbes.
Published 1997 by Gradiva Publicações (first published 1989)

J.G. Keely
It can be really difficult to critique a work like this. Calvin and Hobbes stands as perhaps the greatest strip ever, along with grandpappy Peanuts and the bizarrely inimitable Little Nemo. Of course, as a child, I never knew that Calvin was a man who thought heaven was a lottery or that Hobbes was the father of rational political philosophy. However, truly great children's literature should never be inaccessible to adults. If it is, then its popularity amongst children stems merely from its abi ...more
Shayantani Das

Calvin and Hobbes hugs always have me melting into a puddle of 'awwyy', sobbing, “choo chweet” saying mess.

I just love this kid's ingenuity and cognition. :)
David Caldwell
When I was working in any of the many bookstores where I was employed and I did not want (or have the time) to read my current book, I would grab one of these collections to read on my too short break. I slowly but surely worked my way through several series. These are great time killers and will usually improve your mood no matter how hectic the day. Laughter can be the best solution to dealing with the public.

A lot of people think Calvin is a brat. I don't believe that. It is true that he woul
Príjemné, oddychové, úsmevné. Calvin má v zásobe množstvo nápadov a s Hobbesom sú tá najneodolateľnejšia dvojica na svete. Ak by som hodnotila knihu samostatne, tak to bude o hviezdičku viac, ale v porovnaní s obomi predchádzajúcimi dielmi je tu podstatne menej originálnych motívov, sú to skôr variácie na už známe zápletky. Stále je to zábava, ibaže som čakala trochu viac.
Trust Calvin and Hobbes to cheer you up after a bad day! I love the kid and this stuffed tiger...oops.. Hobbes!
This is the book that Jack wanted to review first. :)

Jack: Well, I really love Calvin and Hobbes because it’s you know very funny! It’s like when they were riding on the magic carpet and Hobbes said “Is this legal? Do you have your registration and proof of insurance?” Hahahahaha. (Jack laughed harder at this line than I’ve heard him laugh in a long time!)

me: What would you tel
Calvin is the hero of all children with wildly vivid imaginations. He has great fun with his stuffed tiger Hobbes, going on numerous great adventures, including an attempted trip to the Yukon. Calvin is fairly typical in the sense that such children tend to drive their parents and teachers crazy, yet when they learn to temper and channel their imagination, they often end up doing spectacularly creative things as adults.

From the beginning of the book where Calvin is convinced that he and Hobbes
The other John
I really am reading things other than comic strip collections. In fact, right now I'm working on an epic fantasy tale, a presidential biography and biblical commentary. It's just that all those take a long time to finish and comics can be read oh, so quickly. Anyway, this third Calvin and Hobbes collection sees some longer storylines, including an expedition towards the Yukon and a visit from Calvin's Uncle Max. (I kinda wish ol' Max had made a return to the strip, but I guess Mr. Watterson had ...more
Mike Jensen
I finally figured out why I do not like this strip. I've known for a long time that Bill Watterson is a talented and imaginative guy, a fairly good writer and a fairly good artist (in the terms that Charles M. Schulz used to describe what cartoonists do), but I did not like CALVIN AND HOBBS. I thought one reason was that Mr. Watterson did not stay true to his premise, and he doesn't, but giving himself that freedom allowed him to take the continuity to imaginative places that paid off in other w ...more
I've never been a big comic strip reader but Calvin and Hobbes is great. This book is another adventure in the world of a young, energetic, imaginative, creative boy and his stuffed tiger, Hobbes. I admire Calvin's enthusiasm for life and his quick wit in dealing with the things life throws at him; like parents and their stuffy rules and teachers who don't appreciate monsters drawn on math homework. Hobbes is the loyal, faithful sidekick that only comes to life for Calvin and who is always well ...more
Calvin and Hobbes books are great fun and really witty humor! A childhood staple comic book for me, but even now I go back and read them and understand the humor on a different level (now that I know the meanings of some of the words!). Great books.
Conan Tigard
I really love Calvin and Hobbes. These two little guys really make me laugh, and I am not just talking about a little giggle, but an actual out loud laugh.

What you can use Yukon Ho! for is changing your mood. If you are feeling tired or a little down, just pick up this book and read for about five minutes. In that short amount of time, you will let a laugh escape you lips and feel a little better, if not a lot better.

Why do I like Calvin so much? I don’t know. I was nothing like him. Maybe I w
Katrina Anderson
Another awesome collection of Calvin and Hobbes! The book gets its title from the series of strips where the duo prepares to run away to the Yukon. They don’t make it far, because they fight. Hobbes gets left in the woods. The line between reality and the imaginary continues to blur, as Calvin’s mom yells out Hobbes name when looking for him. This theme continues when Calvin and Hobbes turn into an owl or and a monster using the transmogrifier. One of my favorite strips in the book is when Calvi ...more
Okay, they weren't all that great, but still worth reading over and over.
Sometimes you need a break. Even from something you love love love like reading. But I've been working too much and my work is reading (I am an editor) and so I've had trouble this week with reading. After working on an academic index for 10 hours in one day, my husband recommended that I read a comic book and I was like "Yes! Calvin and Hobbes!"

I have most of the books to choose from but I didn't want a treasury because those sometimes don't have the storylines all the way through but I also di
This book,"Calvin and Hobbes: Yukon Ho!" is about many short stories of the adventures of Calvin and Hobbes. Calvin and Hobbes goes on crazy adventures in Calvin's life that makes his fathers and friends annoyed by his actions. He gets to lots of trouble and home and at school with Hobbes along his side. Calvin has huge imaginations in his heads that affects everyone. Hobbes isn't real but a tiger toy that seems to become a living creature. There are many comics to choose from in this book of t ...more
This is the book that Jack wanted to review first. :)

me: So what do you think of Calvin and Hobbes? I hear lots of laughing going on over there...

Jack: Well, I really love Calvin and Hobbes because it's you know very funny! It's like when they were riding on the magic carpet and Hobbes said "Is this legal? Do you have your registration and proof of insurance?" Hahahahaha. (Jack laughed harder at this line than I've heard him laugh in a long time!)

me: What would you t
If you remember the late eighties then you remember the Calvin & Hobbes comic strip. The strip was focused on Calvin, a young and imaginative boy, an explorer of youth and his perception of the adult world. The Clark to his Lewis, is Hobbes, Calvin's stuffed animal tiger. I always enjoyed the facial expressions and the social commenting.

At another look Calvin is really an anti-social and scared little boy. He has absolutely no friends. Everyone is an antagonistic in a world where he feels th
OK WHO IS NOT A BIG KID - at least some of the time! I was first introduced to the characters Calvin and Hobbes by my brother years ago - and I still love to read them now - only now I get to keep the books rather than have to hand them back. I think these books appeal to me (and I suspect many others too) because not only are the stories fun and entertaining but also I think we all see a little of ourselves (or at least think we do) - the mischievous young boy who not only has an amazing sense ...more
I love seeing Calvin's imagination come to life in Calvin and Hobbes strips. The stories in Yukon Ho! are fun, and Calvin and Hobbes are both such characters, each bringing each strip to life with their unique personalities. None of the strips are laugh-out-loud funny, but all of them are cute and entertaining. A fun collection worth revisiting.
The most intelligent, funny, thoughtful, and humourous comics any of us will ever find.
Along with the brilliant illustrations, the very many antics and activities of Calvin and his imaginary compatriot Hobbes, make for a wonderful and lively read that's entertaining for people of all ages.
A Classic. Period.
Rob Habaradas
Calvin & Hobbes never fails to make me laugh. This is the first collection of C&H comics that I read and I reckon that this won't be the last.

My favorites scenes/situation in this book/collection:

1. Their "woods" adventure -- and that includes their plan to go to Yukon!
2. Whenever Calvin tells his dad about this "status" as a Dad -- about his popularity, etc. I like it when he posted an ad in the newspaper.
3. Of course, scenes of Calvin and his mom are always a delight
Yukon Ho is a collection of Calvin and Hobbes comics comics that does not disappoint. The comics are about Calvin, a young, adventurous, and often sadistic boy and his imaginative adventures with his stuffed tiger, Hobbes. Together these two travel through space and time, overcome the struggles of school and parents, and create misery for a neighborhood girl named Susie.

I love these comics. Calvin is one of the greatest child characters of all time. Although he is a boy, his language and action
Reta Anna Maria
Pitkästä aikaa palasin Lassin ja Leevin pariin. Kaikki tarinat oikeastaan olivat jo tuttuja, mutta olihan niitä kiva lukea. Huomasin, että Lassi ärsytti minua hieman enemmän kuin ennen (alanko olla kohta aikuinen itse?) ja olen edelleen täysin välinpitämätön avaruusmies Spiffiä kohtaan.
For the 2015 Reading Challenge, I chose this one for my "book published the year you were born". I know it's a bit of a cheap shot since it's much quicker to read than a novel, but I'm so glad I did. Not only am I old enough to know all the big words and get all the jokes, but there's also some subtlety to the relationships I had missed reading Calvin and Hobbes as a kid.
Ravi Dawar
Have you ever read a book and secretly wished it did not get over ever. Well, this is one book that I wished went on for endless pages. I read it page by page wishing it never finished. Then I read it all over again.
Room 123
Do you like funny things? Then you should read Calvin and Hobbes! They get a wagon and do something with it. They think about creatures. They are best friends forever. You should get this book today! By Ian
Yukon Ho features mostly the duo's adventures during the time of summer holidays, which I think may be my second-favorite Calvin and Hobbes comic type, right after those where they're building snowmen.
Calvin and Hobbes Discussion 8 32 Jan 06, 2015 09:05AM
Class of 2014: Book Review 1 3 May 28, 2013 05:26PM
  • Hound of The Far Side
  • At Least This Place Sells T-Shirts:  A FoxTrot Collection
  • The Night of the Mary Kay Commandos: A Bloom County Book
Bill Watterson (born William Boyd Watterson II) is an American cartoonist, and the author of the comic strip "Calvin and Hobbes". His career as a syndicated cartoonist ran from 1985 to 1995; he stopped drawing "Calvin and Hobbes" at the end of 1995 with a short statement to newspaper editors and his fans that he felt he had achieved all he could in the comic strip medium. During the early years of ...more
More about Bill Watterson...

Calvin and Hobbes (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Calvin and Hobbes
  • Something Under the Bed is Drooling
  • Weirdos from Another Planet!
  • The Revenge of the Baby-Sat
  • Scientific Progress Goes "Boink"
  • Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons