Start by marking “Metropolitan Knits: Chic Designs for Urban Style” as Want to Read:
Metropolitan Knits: Chic Designs for Urban Style

Metropolitan Knits: Chic Designs for Urban Style

Big city. Big style. Discover knitting that's fashionable yet timeless.

Knit for uptown or downtown with a trend-setting New York City designer. With these 20 polished, sophisticated projects, knitwear designer Melissa Wehrle has created a collection that perfectly reflects the rhythm, flavor, and drama of city life.

From a chunky cabled sweater and hat to a beautiful tunic
Published June 11th 2013 by Interweave Press

To ask other readers questions about Metropolitan Knits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metropolitan Knits

Kate
Apr 14, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
This book has a lot of really cute sweater patterns. Most of them feature some intricate design that isn't *the whole sweater* so you could easily knit the sweater without the lace or cable detail, or try your hand at it if you're looking for something a little tangy (to use Knitty's terminology). There were a handful of patterns for hats, gloves/arm warmers, and scarves as well. I'll be trying a few of them, although I loved about 80% of the patterns in the book.
Dana Wright
This book was lovely. The projects within are a wide array of stylish designs that would be flattering to a number of body sizes and styles. With clean lines and creative patterns, this book has a ton of ideas for finishing and some unique styles that really caught my eye. It is easy to see that this designer really knows her stuff and has crafted each piece with loving care and attention to detail. The patterns are clearly marked, letting you know how many stitches you are shooting for at the ...more
Meghan
Dec 16, 2014 Meghan rated it it was ok
Shelves: knitting
A few pretty patterns in here, but I have several problems with this book, the main one being that none of these sweaters seem functional. I like a lightweight cardigan as much as the next person, but when I think of "chic designs for urban style" I think of people also existing in the city during the winter! Additionally, most of these require strict adherence to gauge, and I mean STRICT. I am usually okay adding or subtracting a few stitches here and there to make a piece fit, but I really ...more
Kristine
Oct 16, 2013 Kristine added it
Shelves: library, knitting
The photographs in this book were really nice - lots of good angles of each piece, very clear. I like the styling for the pics as well. Patternwise, the cover /
sweater, Meier Cardigan, was by far the one that made me most interested. I found that I already own this pattern in Knit Edge when I went to queue it! Le Cirque Was a nice shape. Brooklyn Bridge would be nice to see on other people (it was pointed out by a friend that the model was having to hold it funny!). Secret Garden is very me. So
Tonileg
May 28, 2014 Tonileg rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting-crafts
I looked at this book on Amazon about a dozen times before I finally broke down and bought it used in very good condition (looks new to me!) but the best patterns are in the first three patterns which is the cover photo cardigan and a cute open fingered mittens.
I'm not sure that I should have bought this so I would recommend borrowing it from the library.
Julie
Mar 04, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts, favorites
I bought this book because I like so many of the patterns in it. I've made two of the patterns (Opera house mitts and Meier Cardigan) and have the yarn for another already planned. The instructions are nice and clear. The pictures display what the finished project should look like. I look forward to making other projects in this book.
Dixie Diamond
Dec 04, 2013 Dixie Diamond rated it it was amazing
I like this enough that I might actually buy a copy. Obviously, how useful the patterns are in a knitting book is largely a matter of taste, but these are nice designs, distinctive but wearable. There are not a lot of patterns for chunky yarn, or "easy" patterns that cut corners on fit and technique, but they're not overly complex, either.
Leslie Jem
Aug 23, 2015 Leslie Jem rated it liked it
Shelves: needlecrafts, library
Great patterns, but my size isn't included in the range, and the patterns don't appear easily alterable.

8-23-15 Love Carriage House Cardigan. Will check this out again as I get closer to my goal weight.
Jodi
Aug 03, 2015 Jodi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-sewing
I'm giving this book 5 stars because the patterns are SO beautiful, but I have not tried any of the projects yet. I may update this review if they prove to be way too complex but man, I really want to make everything in this book!
Josie
Aug 30, 2013 Josie rated it really liked it
The photos are nice, and showcase the garment well, but that is the point ;) The patterns are written in multiple sizing, so there should be little math if you get the gauge.

All in all, a nice book that I would probably try to make some of the garments. I really liked the cardigans.
Mary
Mar 01, 2014 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wish-list, knitting
Wow! It is not often I want to knit nearly all the patterns in a knitting book, but I love the designs in this one. Gorgeous designs which make me want to cast on immediately.
Joanne
Sep 05, 2015 Joanne rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Most books have several patterns that I would consider knitting and in this book there are only a few that I wouldn't make. She has a good fashion sense.
Mckinley
Sep 14, 2015 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Several are nice. Maybe some day if I try knitting a sweater again I'll do 1 of these 3 sweaters I like.
All patterns for females.
Julia
Jun 02, 2014 Julia rated it it was amazing
I have been through this book a gazillion times! Looking forward to FINALLY making something from it soon!
Tilden
Nov 28, 2014 Tilden rated it really liked it
Melissa Wehrle has lovely patterns but most are stripes or patterns that will look horrible on me. Her patterns are for young and skinny women.
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Angela
Angela rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2013
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2016
Allie
Allie rated it really liked it
May 17, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Meg
Meg rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2014
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2015
Marielle
Jun 02, 2014 Marielle rated it it was ok
Pretty generic patterns
Sarah rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2015
Ady Grafovna
Ady Grafovna rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2014
Alicia
Alicia rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Baubo
Baubo rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2015