Start by marking “People Can't Drive You Crazy if You Don't Give Them the Keys” as Want to Read:
People Can't Drive You Crazy if You Don't Give Them the Keys

People Can't Drive You Crazy if You Don't Give Them the Keys

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  50 reviews
You don't have to be controlled by difficult people! Strange as it may seem, other people are not nearly as committed to our happiness as we are. In fact, sometimes it seems like they’re on a mission to make us miserable! There’s always that one person. The one who hijacks our emotions. The one who seems to thrive on drama. If we could just “fix” that person, everything wo ...more
Audio
Published October 1st 2012 by Oasis Audio

Be the first to ask a question about People Can't Drive You Crazy if You Don't Give Them the Keys

Marjorie
I think it was a reinforcement of what most of us know we should do .... but good to read and be more prepared in those life situations that do/will come up. Bottom line is, 'We can't control other people .... do your best to emotionally distance yourself and have a mantra ready as a 'go to'. (ie...That is something I am not going to discuss with you.)
Angela
I had mixed feelings about this book. The suggestions given were solid, but I found myself not being able to picture many scenarios to apply them in. This left me with an unsatisfied feeling, a bit like reading an outline without the meat-and-potato sentences inside. What I liked though was how it encouraged trying to make these uncomfortable relationships healthier *sigh* *unhappy face* because we'll always be involved with crazy making people in some way so we need to learn to deal with them. ...more
Victor Gentile
Mike Bechtle in his new book, “People Can’t Drive You Crazy If You Don’t Give Them the Keys” published by Revell gives us the ability to deal with difficult people.

From the back cover: You don’t have to be controlled by difficult people!

Title: PEOPLE CAN’T DRIVE YOU CRAZY IF YOU DON’T GIVE THEM THE KEYS
Author: Mike Bechtle
Publisher: Revell
October 2012
ISBN: 978-0-8007-2111-4
Genre: Nonfiction/self-help/relationships

You don’t have to be controlled by difficult people!

You are the only one truly committed to your happiness. No one else really cares if you’re happy. It’s like they’re on a mission to make you miserable! There’s always that one person—that one who hijacks our emotions. The one who thrives on drama.

But since we can’t f
All of us have someone in our life that makes us want to pull out our hair. They do and say things that can really drive us crazy!

Sometimes we can get away from them, but many times, we can't. Especially if they're in our family.

Dr. Mike Bechtle talks about this in his book, People Can't Drive You Crazy If You Don't Give Them the Keys. The interesting thing is, we have more control over our emotions within the crazy circumstances than we think!

Bechtle never denies the fact that we do have crazy
Susan

When I was in high school, I remember a teacher asking us to write down a few book genres we enjoyed reading. For one, I wrote down "self-help books." I think back to that every now and then, mainly to smile over the teacher's probable amusement: a 16-year-old who enjoyed reading self-help books! But to this day, I still enjoy them and pick one up occasionally.

"People Can't Drive You Crazy If You Don't Give Them the Keys" is a great example. We all know and interact with people we could charitab
Meagan Myhren-bennett
People Can't Drive You Crazy If
You Don't Give Them the Keys
By Mike Bechtle

I just love the title of this book,which is the reason when I was given the opportunity to review it I jumped at the chance. I mean after all who doesn't have at least one crazy person in their life trying to take you for a long out of the way drive? Mike Bechtle gives you the means to put a break on this drive to crazy.

We all have other people in our life - family, friends, co-workers, neighbors and for some reason or ano
Sunflower
The holidays are around the corner and we all know what that means... Oh yes...Dealing with family members and friends around the table,that leaves us feeling consumed more with indigestion than the turkey did.

Maybe it's the co-worker in the cubicle with you with the strong perfume and that laugh that feels like nails across the blackboard?

Whichever is the case, one thing tends to be true...they are driving you crazy.

In his book,"People Can't Drive You Crazy If You Don't Give Them The Keys", rea
Carol
This was very helpful in giving suggestions for dealing with difficult people and gave me insight into how I could appear to be difficult to others. Remember, one out of five people are "crazy", and if it's not anyone else in the room, it just may be you! I enjoyed his common sense advice, and he gave me a lot to think about. I could think of a number of people to pass this on to but they might be offended, so if you want me to pass it on to you, just let me know.
AnnieM
The perfect book for me on this day. My only complaint is the citations from the Bible. They are just randomly dropped in. They kind of fit, but not really.

The other information is really good like you can't ration with emotion.

It is a good read for anyone with "crazy" people in their lives.
Tracie
I picked this book up based solely on the hilarious title, and I will tell you it really delivers! He has some very practical advice on how to not let people get to you. I would recommend this to anyone who finds themselves super worked up over other peoples' actions.
Kellie
I can sum up this book in the following sentence: You cannot change anyone but yourself and how you react to others.

I got this by the second disc. I am not sure what more there was because this was repeated several times and I was not hearing anything else. I also quite listening because I became fed up with the author's constant use of the word CRAZY which personally offended me with his excessive use.

Dear Mr. Bechtle; Some people are actually crazy or what we now refer to has mentally ill.

I
George Istaphanous
I rarely rate books that I read, but I have to say, this book is life-changing. The simple concepts in this book are incredibly practical and when put into practice, they lead to an amazing sense of peace.

I highly recommend it.
Jim Johnson
I like most of what was said but I was confused by the author's frequent interjection of religious platitudes that had no place in an other good work of secular psychology.
Marcia
im more into true stories of murder /also residential stories /easy cook books desserts dinners lunches /true stories of women tradigies /ect
Cindy
full of practical advice in an easily absorbable format. I could really have benefited from this book about 13 years ago.
Karen
We all have crazy people in our lives. Whether it is a work, family, church, or neighborhood. What would happen if we could learn how to control the situation so that their craziness dosen't control our future reactions. This book isn't really a self-help book but more of an ah-ha it can't be that simple can it?
We all have control over ourselves and no one else. Giving someone the keys to our feelings and emotions is allowing them to frustrate and harm us.

One thing that really got me thinking i
Drea Kreth
Interesting, has some good points but, the whole book could be summarized in 3 pages.
Nila
No truer statement ever read! Some pretty good reminders inside
Grace
A good book that gives you insight on dealing with difficult people.

Some of my favorite quotes were:

The event isn't really the problem; it's our response to the event.

It's those situations that we can't fix are those people we can't change that make us the most uncomfortable.

The problem with our perspective is we always assume were right based on the information we have. No matter what the other person does it's our perspective that determines how we feel and respond.

Read it for yourself it ma
Don Gubler
Simple and simplistic but certainly not without merit.
Christine
The title grabbed me; I dove in enthusiastically & then was met with statements of the obvious: other people think different than you (duh); you are responsible for your actions, others are responsible for theirs (duh again); etc. It goes on for chapters pretty much saying the same thing, never really addressing what to do with the truly crazy (who just may be dangerous). One good takeaway for me: be careful with your "inputs"--what your mind takes in & dwells on.
Kolia Shlapak
Не надто цікава та не варта рекомендації до прочитання. Однак, кілька думок справді варті уваги та застосування в житті. Зокрема, потрібно взяти на озброєння звичку аналізувати вплив різних людей, подій, вчинків й т.п. на свій стан та намагатися в майбутньому обмежувати ті чинники, які впливають негативно, та більше уваги приділяти тим, що впливають позиитвно. Потрібно пам'ятати, що кожна людина дивиться на світ власними очима, і ми не можемо враз змінити інших.
Clint Priest
If you get insanely irate at other drivers while operating an automobile and make it personal and curse the day they were born along with their entire bloodline...this might be the book for you. Recommended read.
Rita
This audio book reminded me of thoughts from many books of this type. You can't control others, but you can control how you let them affect you. Be who you are. Stay in your own lane.
Alice Cruz
An excellent book to teach us how to deal with other people based on what we are.
I bought it at the Philadelphia Airport on my way to Portugal and I loved it!
CJ
This book had more of a religious slant than I'd expected, but it did make some good points about how to deal with problem people in your life by adjusting your own attitudes, rather than by trying to make changes in the other person. Worth reading, but not particularly recommended.
Geri Taylor
This is just one of those "self-help" books I like to pick up from time to time. Most of what is said is either practical sense (for some) or redundant (if you've read a lot of self-help books as I have) but it was an easy read...and now I done.
  • Getting to No: How to Break a Stubborn Habit
  • Living Successfully with Screwed-Up People
  • The Well-Lived Laugh: Designing a Life That Keeps You Smiling
  • Strip Off Your Fear: Radiate the Confidence Within
  • Sparkle: The Girl's Guide to Living a Deliciously Dazzling, Wildly Effervescent, Kick-Ass Life
  • Good News for Those Trying Harder
  • Beautiful Battle: A Woman's Guide to Spiritual Warfare
  • Stress Busters (Stress Management Techniques) How to use stress to your advantage, beat burnout, and accomplish anything - on your terms
  • Attack Your Day!: Before It Attacks You
  • You Are What You Think
  • 52 Mondays: The One Year Path to Outrageous Success & Lifelong Happiness
  • I Have Loved You: Getting to Know the Father's Heart
  • Named By God: Overcoming Your Past, Transforming Your Present, Embracing Your Future
  • Christianish: What If We're Not Really Following Jesus at All?
  • Beautiful Battlefields
  • Live Like You Mean It: The 10 Crucial Questions That Will Help You Clarify Your Purpose / Live Intentionally / Make the Most of the Rest of Your Life
  • Smart Women Know When to Say No
  • True Community: The Biblical Practice of Koinonia
Evangelism for the Rest of Us: Sharing Christ Within Your Personality Style Confident Conversation: How to Communicate Successfully in Any Situation How to Communicate with Confidence You Can't Text a Tough Conversation

“Martin Luther supposedly said, “You might not be able to stop the birds from landing on your head, but you can keep them from building a nest in your hair.” 1 likes
“The Power of Influence I’ve realized that I choose not to spend much time with people who are trying to change me. If they take me on as a project to “fix,” I don’t respond well. But when they simply enter my life and accept me unconditionally, I become a different person because of their influence.” 1 likes