Start by marking “People Can't Drive You Crazy if You Don't Give Them the Keys” as Want to Read:
People Can't Drive You Crazy if You Don't Give Them the Keys

People Can't Drive You Crazy if You Don't Give Them the Keys

3.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  369 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
You don't have to be controlled by difficult people! Strange as it may seem, other people are not nearly as committed to our happiness as we are. In fact, sometimes it seems like they’re on a mission to make us miserable! There’s always that one person. The one who hijacks our emotions. The one who seems to thrive on drama. If we could just “fix” that person, everything wo ...more
Audio
Published October 1st 2012 by Oasis Audio

Marjorie
Jun 29, 2013 Marjorie rated it liked it
I think it was a reinforcement of what most of us know we should do .... but good to read and be more prepared in those life situations that do/will come up. Bottom line is, 'We can't control other people .... do your best to emotionally distance yourself and have a mantra ready as a 'go to'. (ie...That is something I am not going to discuss with you.)
Victor Gentile
Nov 02, 2012 Victor Gentile rated it it was amazing
Mike Bechtle in his new book, “People Can’t Drive You Crazy If You Don’t Give Them the Keys” published by Revell gives us the ability to deal with difficult people.

From the back cover: You don’t have to be controlled by difficult people!

Oct 28, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
Title: PEOPLE CAN’T DRIVE YOU CRAZY IF YOU DON’T GIVE THEM THE KEYS
Author: Mike Bechtle
Publisher: Revell
October 2012
ISBN: 978-0-8007-2111-4
Genre: Nonfiction/self-help/relationships

You don’t have to be controlled by difficult people!

You are the only one truly committed to your happiness. No one else really cares if you’re happy. It’s like they’re on a mission to make you miserable! There’s always that one person—that one who hijacks our emotions. The one who thrives on drama.

But since we can’t f
Dec 04, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of us have someone in our life that makes us want to pull out our hair. They do and say things that can really drive us crazy!

Sometimes we can get away from them, but many times, we can't. Especially if they're in our family.

Dr. Mike Bechtle talks about this in his book, People Can't Drive You Crazy If You Don't Give Them the Keys. The interesting thing is, we have more control over our emotions within the crazy circumstances than we think!

Bechtle never denies the fact that we do have crazy
Susan
Nov 17, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing

When I was in high school, I remember a teacher asking us to write down a few book genres we enjoyed reading. For one, I wrote down "self-help books." I think back to that every now and then, mainly to smile over the teacher's probable amusement: a 16-year-old who enjoyed reading self-help books! But to this day, I still enjoy them and pick one up occasionally.

"People Can't Drive You Crazy If You Don't Give Them the Keys" is a great example. We all know and interact with people we could charitab
Kellie
Mar 24, 2013 Kellie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up
I can sum up this book in the following sentence: You cannot change anyone but yourself and how you react to others.

I got this by the second disc. I am not sure what more there was because this was repeated several times and I was not hearing anything else. I also quite listening because I became fed up with the author's constant use of the word CRAZY which personally offended me with his excessive use.

Dear Mr. Bechtle; Some people are actually crazy or what we now refer to has mentally ill.

I
Meagan Myhren-bennett
People Can't Drive You Crazy If
You Don't Give Them the Keys
By Mike Bechtle

I just love the title of this book,which is the reason when I was given the opportunity to review it I jumped at the chance. I mean after all who doesn't have at least one crazy person in their life trying to take you for a long out of the way drive? Mike Bechtle gives you the means to put a break on this drive to crazy.

We all have other people in our life - family, friends, co-workers, neighbors and for some reason or ano
Sunflower
Nov 02, 2012 Sunflower rated it it was amazing
The holidays are around the corner and we all know what that means... Oh yes...Dealing with family members and friends around the table,that leaves us feeling consumed more with indigestion than the turkey did.

Maybe it's the co-worker in the cubicle with you with the strong perfume and that laugh that feels like nails across the blackboard?

Whichever is the case, one thing tends to be true...they are driving you crazy.

In his book,"People Can't Drive You Crazy If You Don't Give Them The Keys", rea
Carol
Mar 14, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very helpful in giving suggestions for dealing with difficult people and gave me insight into how I could appear to be difficult to others. Remember, one out of five people are "crazy", and if it's not anyone else in the room, it just may be you! I enjoyed his common sense advice, and he gave me a lot to think about. I could think of a number of people to pass this on to but they might be offended, so if you want me to pass it on to you, just let me know.
Ruth
Mar 27, 2016 Ruth rated it it was amazing
I hate the title and almost didn't read it based upon the title alone.

Many of the information could be considered common sense, but it puts it together in a nice place. The book has great analogies.

Another great surprise was the inclusion of scriptures throughout the book. When the chapter was about communication, the author select many scriptures to reinforce positive techniques.
Katie
Nov 08, 2015 Katie rated it liked it
A mix of good advise, wise counsel and pithy sayings. The author wanders from the point quite a bit, but usually brings it back to the topic at hand. He makes a lot of broad statements about a one's "temperament" being fixed from a young age and virtually unchangeable. I'm not sure that he is accurately portraying this, but it doesn't actually detract too much from the book. It is similar to a lot of "positive mindset" books out there with a Christian twist.
Carrie Nygard
Apr 16, 2016 Carrie Nygard rated it liked it
This was a decent volume regarding the difficult relationships we tend to find ourselves tangled in. As imperfect humans, sometimes others in our lives create drama and chaos that leave us frustrated. One of the benefits of this book is that the theories represented are strongly rooted in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and also biblical principles. I did, however, find some sections to be vague and repetitive, but it is worth a read.
AnnieM
Apr 07, 2014 AnnieM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The perfect book for me on this day. My only complaint is the citations from the Bible. They are just randomly dropped in. They kind of fit, but not really.

The other information is really good like you can't ration with emotion.

It is a good read for anyone with "crazy" people in their lives.
Shweta Nigam
Oct 14, 2015 Shweta Nigam rated it liked it
Bottomline: "God has a sense of humor because there is a person in my life who does drive me crazy." The author provides some great humorous insight on how to deal with such people and still maintain healthy relationship.

I so loved the title of this book, which is why I picked this book in the first place. The author maintains a conversational tone which kept me engaged while turning the pages.

Would I recommend it?
Tracie
Jun 08, 2015 Tracie rated it really liked it
I picked this book up based solely on the hilarious title, and I will tell you it really delivers! He has some very practical advice on how to not let people get to you. I would recommend this to anyone who finds themselves super worked up over other peoples' actions.
George Istaphanous
Dec 10, 2014 George Istaphanous rated it it was amazing
I rarely rate books that I read, but I have to say, this book is life-changing. The simple concepts in this book are incredibly practical and when put into practice, they lead to an amazing sense of peace.

I highly recommend it.
Richard Roberts
Sep 04, 2015 Richard Roberts rated it really liked it
I'm not a religious person, however, this is a good relationship guide whether the Biblical references are meaningful to you or not. A lot of common sense here told clearly. I recommend this book to everyone.
Jim Johnson
I like most of what was said but I was confused by the author's frequent interjection of religious platitudes that had no place in an other good work of secular psychology.
Tisha Lea
Apr 21, 2016 Tisha Lea rated it it was amazing
Well, mixed feelings here. I learned that not only how much I allow people to drive me crazy, but, I AM one of the crazy ones! lol Not the craziest, by any means, but, crazy, yes. I recommend ANYONE to read this book. There is some very useful information filled with humor and honesty.
Marcia
im more into true stories of murder /also residential stories /easy cook books desserts dinners lunches /true stories of women tradigies /ect
Cindy
May 23, 2014 Cindy rated it it was amazing
full of practical advice in an easily absorbable format. I could really have benefited from this book about 13 years ago.
Karen
Jun 18, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
We all have crazy people in our lives. Whether it is a work, family, church, or neighborhood. What would happen if we could learn how to control the situation so that their craziness dosen't control our future reactions. This book isn't really a self-help book but more of an ah-ha it can't be that simple can it?
We all have control over ourselves and no one else. Giving someone the keys to our feelings and emotions is allowing them to frustrate and harm us.

One thing that really got me thinking i
Drea Kreth
Aug 03, 2014 Drea Kreth rated it liked it
Interesting, has some good points but, the whole book could be summarized in 3 pages.
Nila
May 06, 2015 Nila rated it it was amazing
No truer statement ever read! Some pretty good reminders inside
Grace
A good book that gives you insight on dealing with difficult people.

Some of my favorite quotes were:

The event isn't really the problem; it's our response to the event.

It's those situations that we can't fix are those people we can't change that make us the most uncomfortable.

The problem with our perspective is we always assume were right based on the information we have. No matter what the other person does it's our perspective that determines how we feel and respond.

Read it for yourself it ma
Daniel
Jan 06, 2016 Daniel rated it it was amazing
Like the book
Don Gubler
Jun 22, 2015 Don Gubler rated it liked it
Shelves: improvement
Simple and simplistic but certainly not without merit.
Maria Maxwell
Oct 18, 2015 Maria Maxwell rated it liked it
Shalea
Feb 11, 2015 Shalea rated it did not like it
DNF.
Christine
Jan 26, 2013 Christine rated it it was ok
The title grabbed me; I dove in enthusiastically & then was met with statements of the obvious: other people think different than you (duh); you are responsible for your actions, others are responsible for theirs (duh again); etc. It goes on for chapters pretty much saying the same thing, never really addressing what to do with the truly crazy (who just may be dangerous). One good takeaway for me: be careful with your "inputs"--what your mind takes in & dwells on.
  • A Better Way to Think: Using Positive Thoughts to Change Your Life
  • Living Successfully with Screwed-Up People
  • The Well-Lived Laugh: Designing a Life That Keeps You Smiling
  • The Ways of God (Finding Purpose Through Your Pain)
  • I Have Loved You: Getting to Know the Father's Heart
  • Getting to No: How to Break a Stubborn Habit
  • Spiritual Secrets To Weight Loss: A 50 Day Renewal of the Mind, Body, and Spirit
  • 7 Simple Choices for a Better Tomorrow
  • Strip Off Your Fear: Radiate the Confidence Within
  • Set Free to Live Free: Breaking Through the 7 Lies Women Tell Themselves
  • When You Can't Find God
  • Holy Habits: A Woman's Guide to Intentional Living
  • Good News for Those Trying Harder
  • Stress Busters (Stress Management Techniques) How to use stress to your advantage, beat burnout, and accomplish anything - on your terms
  • Confessions of a Raging Perfectionist
  • You Are What You Think
  • Immersion
  • Live Like You Mean It: The 10 Crucial Questions That Will Help You Clarify Your Purpose / Live Intentionally / Make the Most of the Rest of Your Life

“Martin Luther supposedly said, “You might not be able to stop the birds from landing on your head, but you can keep them from building a nest in your hair.” 2 likes
“The Power of Influence I’ve realized that I choose not to spend much time with people who are trying to change me. If they take me on as a project to “fix,” I don’t respond well. But when they simply enter my life and accept me unconditionally, I become a different person because of their influence.” 2 likes