Start by marking “One More Time” as Want to Read:
One More Time

One More Time

Vermont is the last place Dane Westerfield has any desire to go. He left a decade ago and has no desire to go back. California is now home. Or rather, his partner of six years was home. Yet when the unexpected death of his partner and the revelation of secrets kept send Dane reeling, he returns to the Vermont town he grew up in to help deal with his grief.

Before he even re
Published August 28th 2012 by Loose Id (first published August 26th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about One More Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One More Time

Mandy*reads obsessively*
Candice
Sep 16, 2012 Candice rated it it was ok
This story was okay for me. There was a lot of potential for this story in the beginning, however, then it sort of went downhill for me after that. I found Dane's quick turnaround after his partner of six years died a little too fast and unbelievable. I like second chance stories, but this one did not work for me.
Ije the Devourer of Books
Sep 02, 2012 Ije the Devourer of Books rated it really liked it
CONTAINS SPOILERS

Two loves, both bisexual but did he/does he truly love me?

Is it the best thing to start a new love whilst still grieving for the old?

Dane's partner of six years dies suddenly and Dane is left to make sense of aspects of his partner's life that had been hidden. His partner was bisexual and had married, had a child and divorced before he met Dane, but had never revealed this to Dane. Now having to deal with his partner's death, Dane questions why his partner hid this part of hims
Anthony
Jun 03, 2015 Anthony rated it liked it
This was a quick read. Had the potential of being more if the characters were a little more developed and though I appreciate pictures of shirtless men I think that if the story is about a police offer and another man dealing with the death of his partner than the cover should reflect that. I think the author needed to get in touch a little more on the universal feelings and emotions that surround people when their loved one dies or if the author has experienced this maybe a better way of ...more
Alina
Jan 09, 2013 Alina rated it it was amazing
I love Shawn Lane's stories and this one was no exception!

Dane was a very likeable and sympathetic protagonist, I loved how their relationship with Donald were described and I really liked Donald, despite his mistake it seems he really loved Dane.

Theo was a really nice guy too. I expected there'd be some time before I'd warm up to him, but I actually liked him from the moment he made the first appearance :)

Very well done!
Gwendolyn
Aug 31, 2012 Gwendolyn rated it it was ok
Uh. This guy is a co-dependent freak that lets jerks push him around. Dane needs to be alone for a while and the help of a good therapist. I hope this gets better.
Pete W
Jan 07, 2013 Pete W rated it really liked it
3.5 round up.

A smooth reading story. The angst level was not overwhelming despite the over all subject of losing one's partner.

Dane lose his partner of six years, Donald, to heart attack. Dane discovered Donald's secret one that Donald planned to discuss with Dane but he died before he got to. a few days before and was struggling to cope with the fact that Donald died before Dane got the chance to talk about that secret. That resolve soon enough but left Dane with uncertainties.

I think that it w
Arthur
Aug 29, 2012 Arthur rated it it was amazing
4.5*

When his partner of 6 years died, Dane learned that his partner harbored a secret. Hurt, Dane accepted his sister's invitation to visit her in their hometown in Vermont.

The very first hour he was in Vermont, Dane encountered Theo, the man whom he lost his virginity and the reason he left Vermont 10 year ago. (view spoiler) Despite some resistance at the beginning, the two hit it off. Until it's time for Da
blub
Aug 29, 2012 blub rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance

Dane (26) is grieving for his deceased partner and on the insistence of his sister goes to visit her in Vermont for a month. Almost immediately, he runs into his first love, Theo (29). Theo, who 10 years before broke Dane's heart, starts pursuing Dane and making the moves on him.

This was a good read but I was dissatisfied with the ending. I felt like Theo was only taking from the relationship and never giving anything back. There was no compromise, he just stated what he wanted to happe
Morgana
I had a hard time deciding whether I liked this book or not. It was not bad per se. The plot was even interesting but (view spoiler)

But apart from that one thing I had no other issues with the story, I guess to some extent I even enjoyed it, hence 3 stars.
Meggie
Oct 17, 2012 Meggie rated it did not like it
Shelves: drama
Hm, this is a weird unrealistic story. I'm sure that maybe with a more developed storyline I would take it differently, but based on this plot, I can't. For me everything between Dane and Theo happens to fast and to soon. Dane and Theo hooked up just because of their past, and I didn't like it. Their emotions weren't real or true. Theo was definitely to pushy and needy and Dane emotionally cold.
Staceyr
Aug 30, 2012 Staceyr rated it liked it
2.5--blah read for me--I never warmed to either character.
Maria (aka Fashionta)
Reviewed for Confessions from Romaholics

Review at Confessions from Romaholics

This is a story of past love reconnecting, while learning to grieve and let go of love just lost. I’ve always been a lover of Shawn Lane’s books; they are sweet, fun and full of explosive emotions. You can almost never go wrong with picking one up!

Dane Westerfield has just lost his partner Donald of six years to a heart attack, but instead of mourning, he is anger, hurt and pissed off. Donald withheld secrets from him,
Thomaidha Papa
Sep 08, 2012 Thomaidha Papa rated it really liked it
3.5 stars for One More Time
Dane is lost in dread, after his partner’s death. Not only is he alone and hurt, but he’s confused by new revelations of his partner’s life. Secrets he kept from Dane, that Dane is incapable to process; secrets that had him thinking the man he spent 6 years with was a complete stranger. In this emotional state, his sister makes a stand for Dane to go back in Vermont to cope with the situation among family. Vermont, the place that Dane gladly ran from when his first lov
Mantastic
Sep 02, 2012 Mantastic rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highly-recommend
Although I haven't read everything by Shawn Lane, I have read quite a bit and she is getting better and better.

She's always been good ... nice, compact stories with strong emotional elements. Her short stories and novellas are complete, with a beginning, middle and end. There are hundreds of sidetrips her stories could take but she stays on track instead of cluttering up the events. There are very few instances that I feel like I'm missing anything. (Although I am very interested to see what sh
Angelmira
Nov 02, 2013 Angelmira added it
Shelves: not-finished
Suze
Feb 26, 2015 Suze rated it liked it
Recommended to Suze by: Won on SOC Aug 12
A 3, probably up to 3.5. Considering that the story centres largely on Dane coping with the death of his partner, the story is not too deep and is a light, easy read.
Dane, trying to come to grips with the death of his partner, Donald, as well as the news that he had a family, goes back home for a month. Its not a restful holiday - he meets his first lover and two elder brothers he hasn't seen for years.
Theo, the first lover, is fairly relentless in his pursuit of someone who is still in the grie
Whitney
I wanted to give this a higher rating because I love Shawn Lane and I don't get buy her stuff a lot because Amber Quill prices are high. However there was a lot of repetitiveness with Dane retelling Donald's secret to different characters that weren't really important to the plot. Also, Dane's issues with bisexuality didn't feel fleshed out and his reasons for not liking it were a bit shallow. I wish more time had been spent developing an actual relationship between Dane and Theo instead of ...more
Scotty
Nov 08, 2012 Scotty rated it liked it
I enjoyed the story. First love and all that. What I couldn't get past was the fact the story didn't seem to be about two men.
If the author had changed Dane's character to a woman, there wouldn't be too much editing to do. I seem to be seeing more and more of that in stories written by women. Big strong man, small frail man, then traditional m/f relationship.
Not that this was a poorly written novella. For what it was, it was quite enjoyable. But, I guess when I buy m/m romances, that's what I ex
Maggie
Sep 14, 2012 Maggie rated it really liked it
Rating 4.5

Always a sucker for a hot, growly, alpha cop this book totally hit the mark for me. Smooth, easy read about lost loves and second chances. Not really angsty but the author did a good job of conveying character emotions and the sex scenes were very hot. Predictable plot but with a few different twists, this one wraps up rather quickly but with a good HEA. I was in the mood for this kind of story so I enjoyed it very much. (BTW, loved the mc names- Dane and Theo)
melek
Dane has lost his partner of 6 years to heart attack , he finds out things about him that he didnt know . Now his mourning lost confused alone .. He goes back to his old town where he grew up there he sees his one time love he didnt expect. Can Dane let himself love again in the short time still mourning and start living again.
Avril
Oct 17, 2012 Avril rated it liked it
Really didn't sit right with me how quickly Dane jumped into bed with Theo. Also pissed me off that Theo just inserted himself back into Dane's life even when he knew the man was grieving. Felt selfish and opportunistic.
Nikki
Nov 02, 2012 Nikki rated it liked it
I didn't particulary like this book. It just seem to move to fast. I mean one of the MC's lover dies and he goes back home for a visit and ends up with his first lover again. I feel the time between the death of his lover & being with his old one was way to soon.

Michi Rosa
Sep 11, 2012 Michi Rosa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
I didn't think Dane moved on too fast, 4 months is a lot of time when all you do is heal and think about how your life is going to be from now on.

This is a very good book if you like a "another-chance-story".
Rachel
Nov 01, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
I think I wanted to like this more than I wound up liking it. I just didn't get the characters and their motives and...I don't know. I'm saying this badly. Not my favorite Shawn Lane book, but I will for sure keep reading future books.
Anke
Sep 02, 2012 Anke rated it really liked it
I read it more or less in one sitting. It started out very gripping, after about half of the book it became somewhat predictable. Nevertheless it was a very good read, although overall I found Dane's moving onto a new relationship a bit fast.
Janie
Nov 09, 2012 Janie rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Once again Shawn Lane rocked the hell out of another book. This author is on fire. Great writing style and even better stor
ies. Dane and Theo were absolutely fantastic main characters. And of course I got my much awaited H.E.A.
jules0623
Bribri
Bribri rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Peggy
Peggy rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • By The River (Elementals, #1)
  • Wicked Intentions (Bonds of Justice, #1)
  • Until It's Time to Go
  • Broken Wings (Lost Boys and Love Letters, #4)
  • Tagged and Bagged (EMS Heat, #14)
  • Unconditional Love (Seven Days, #2)
  • Always a Groomsman
  • Champion (Indigo Knights, #2)
  • Gasp!
  • The Fireman and the Cop (Ellery Mountain, #1)
  • Something Shattered
  • Calling the Show
  • Long Way Home  (Red-Tainted Silence #2)
  • Just Ask
  • The Injustice of Being (Campus Cravings, #16)
  • Tuck & Cover (Rough Rangers, #2)
  • Foxe Hunt (Skyler Foxe Mystery, #2)
  • The Bacchi
Shawn Lane writes erotic gay romances and believes love and passion know no boundaries. Happily Ever After is for everyone.

In the past she has written heterosexual romances (see her backlist) but is now concentrating on gay romances.

Shawn lives in California and holds down a boring day job in a legal department of a giant corporation dreaming of the nights and weekends when she can create new sto
More about Shawn Lane...