Start by marking “Don't Care High” as Want to Read:
Don't Care High

Don't Care High

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  568 ratings  ·  47 reviews
"Don't Care High: It's more than a nickname -- it's a concept." At Don Carey High School, school spirit is so non-existent that nobody even noticed when a highway on-ramp got built over the football field. But new students Paul and Sheldon have a plan to wake the school up -- and Don't Care High will never be the same. Totally off-the-wall, but always good-natured, this hy ...more
Published August 1st 2012 by Scholastic Canada (first published September 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Care High, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Care High

Ferret
Definitely one of Korman's best, the premise is so ridiculous, the plot so extravagant, the characters so sublime... Wonderful story of a high school that learned how to care... about a phantom that didn't care back.
Fake Name
In a school where students are so unmotivated that their school is called "Don't Care High" comes Paul... a new student who's arrived with something almost unheard of: ambition. Struggling in the world of locker barons, principals who only care about announcements, and students and teachers who just don't care, Paul and his friend Sheldon set out on what is initially a prank but might do the seemingly impossible and bring school spirit back into Don't Care High.
If you're bothered by unrealistic
Janine Southard
Remember that 2 stars means "It was okay."

As with most Gordon Korman works, the beauty of this novel is in its bizarre randomness. Students at Don't Care High (really, Don Carey HS) all stumble through their day like zombies. Zero ambition, zero interest. No one on any sports teams, etc. ...except for the Locker Baron who dispenses lockers for favors. You could have four lockers anywhere you wanted them, if you were willing to pay the price. (I don't think Lockers McLockerson ever went to class?
Carey
Mike Otis is and always will be my main dude.
Ruby Hollyberry
Of all the author's books, this may be the funniest. And that is not to slang I Want to Go Home! or the Bruno & Boots books, which are also funny enough to make you inhale a mouthful of raisins. It is a story of New York City and a how a boy from a small town in Canada gets used to all the stimulation and variety. Some of my favorite parts are the neighbors in the high-rise opposite his apartment and the eccentric things he can see them doing (nothing raunchier than a guy who every day puts ...more
Phil Jensen
I have questions, but no answers. I wish I could have a conversation with Gordon Korman to sort some things out. I would ask him what's up with the principal in this book? Is that some kind of post-modern commentary on God? Is it a Greek chorus? Is it one of the other characters in disguise? Is it Otis? And what's up with Otis? Is he really an undercover government agent? Is he really an adult in disguise? Is he imaginary? Are Paul and Sherman the only people who can see him? Does he represent s ...more
Goldie
4.5. Another funny Korman book! Huzzah!

Gordon Korman is another one of my favorite authors. Since I read laughed my way through I Want to Go Home! way back over a decade ago, he has instantly become one of my "must-buy" authors. Unfortunately, he's not very popular in the Philippines so his books are hard to come by. Thankfully, I got some Amazon credits so I was able to buy Don't Care High. Hurrah!

"Don't Care High" is actually a wordplay on the name of the school, Don Carey High School. The stu
Ania
Sep 13, 2012 Ania rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of "The Schwa was here"
Shelves: canada
I originally wanted to read this book as many reviewers on the nets said that it was one of the best, if not THE BEST Gordon Korman book. Having immensely enjoyed A Semester in the Life of a Garbage Bag in the past, I decided to finally give this bad boy a read, as Scholastic Canada has just republished this book with this awesome, yet simple green cover.
description

Alas, it did not measure up. I did enjoy the book as I tend to enjoy the shenanigans Korman's characters generally get up to in his YA novels.
Douglaseng04
Jonathan Beck ENG204

Did you feel that the book fulfilled your expectations? Were you disappointed?

‘Don’t care high’ fulfilled my expectations of having a good plot. I really enjoyed the fact that this book made me read on and on. Like when Paul (the main character) tried to sneak into Mike’s(his weird friend) house to see what it looked like, I was very interested because what if Paul was caught.

Did you enjoy the book? Why ? Why not.?

I did very much enjoy this book mostly because of the differen
Ficbot
Delighted to find at last a Kindle edition of this old favourite! The book was perhaps not as timeless and eternal as I remember it being, but it was good fun to revisit it. Gordon Kormon is really under-rated in the YA world, I think. Well-formatted and no obvious issues., and a bargain price to boot. Win!
Sian Griffiths
I love Gordan Korman, especially for some of his early books (Bruno and Boots!). This plot in this one isn't quite as surprising as some of his other works, but it's full of wonderful quirky characters, as are Korman's signature, and the book is entertaining. A quick, fun, light read.
Ann Rees
More of a 2.5. It saddens me to say this, but this was not Korman's best effort. Although many of his books rely on crazy premises, none of them are as absurd as this one. You have really got to suspend your disbelief to be able to enjoy this book at all. Not that there aren't any chuckle-worthy bits in it, they're just fewer than you would expect from Gordon Korman in his early writing years. Especially considering that the predecessor to this was No Coins, Please, one of my top two favorites a ...more
Carol L. Millman
Possibly one of Gordon Kormon's best. This book captures the atmosphere of a large high school perfectly, the characters are extremely endearing, and it is laugh out loud funny.

Like most of Kormon's books, it involves a troublemaker and his more conservative side-kick getting up to high-jinks, but the stunt they pull in this book is surprisingly psychologically believable. You find yourself thinking "Yes- THIS COULD HAPPEN".

In a way, it's a subtle commentary on hero-worship, how celebrities bec
Claire
First Korman I've read and remembered (thanks Lu!), as I found my book log from age 11 a while ago and there was totally a Korman in there which I have absolutely no memory of. I thought this was really interesting, but the voice didn't quite grab me as much as I'd hoped. I do have to admit part of this might have been due to having an eBook version which had some copyediting flaws which I found frustrating. Still hoping to turn up some Bruno and Boots novels in our picking over of the secondhan ...more
Jaron Harris
This is another of Korman's comedic takes on High School that entertained me in my youth and teens and it's still brilliant today. I just finished re-reading it and one thing that struck me was how this book, and a few others of Korman's, that really gave the vibe of New York in the 80s before it got cleaned up. In a way besides being an excellent YA book it is also a time capsule.

I hope to introduce my niece and nephew to Gordon Korman's brilliant YA fiction when they get older. They have a se
Polly
My sisters and I thought this was the second-funniest book in the world when we were young (we thought the funniest was "A Semester in the Life of a Garbage Bag", by the same author). It's still pretty funny, although a little dated.
Josette
I read this in junior high and thought it was pretty cool. Though I can't remember that much about it, I remember it was about a boy who was new to a high school where nobody really cared about anything. They weren't concerned about grades or sports, and he was very perplexed by that. Strange and outrageous events ensue because of the khaos that this school atmosphere invites. It's a fun read for children at the 7th grade level and was assigned by our English teacher, so it is teacher-approved.
Ingrid
One of the best books I read in high school. No preaching. Just plain good fun. I felt my school was just like this one. Teachers not caring if you passed or failed. Students floating along and not caring one way or another about anything. I felt like somebody had set up a hidden camera in my school and was watching our every move to get my high school experience so right.
THIS BOOK WAS HILIRIOUS! I can't believe it was published so long ago but this book was really Funny. It had alot of twists and it was fast paced. Alot of the content I couldn't believe cuz it was so crazy and outrageous! I loved it but the reason I only gave four stars was cuz I think it was too fast paced and kind of a dead end and alot of the stuff was too unrealistic!
Delicious Strawberry
I happened across this book a long time ago by sheer chance, and I was not disappointed. It's pretty amusing if exaggerated about high-school life and how one guy tries to get the other kids motivated for their school. There's some colorful characters and amusing bits in here, it's a light and refreshing read even if it might now be dated. :P Old school FTW.
Tara Carpenter
Cute, feel-good story set in NYC - about how just a few people can make a difference and energize a group. Was reminescent of my fave, I Want to Go Home - I swear I recognized some of the descriptions or small plot points. But this one wasn't as funny. Cute, though. I bought this online since it's out of print.
Aisha
Oct 03, 2008 Aisha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Aisha by: in our family's Gordon Korman collection
This is, hands down, THE funniest, most hilarious book I've ever read (and I've read a few). This is a wonderfully comic book that you can read over and over and over again, and find new things to laugh at each time. Strongly recommended, for everyone.
Cory B
It was good. Typical Gordon Korman. I wished he wrote more books like this instead of going into crime dramas. I kind of expected Paul to go see Mike Otis at the end, and not tell anyone, but all in all an interesting read. Not the best of Korman's work, but good.
Kevin
Not what I was expecting, although this was my first Gordon Korman book. I was hoping for a slightly more serious tone to the book, but alas, 'twas not to be. Not a terrible book, but I think the tone would be too light to use with the class I had in mind.
Erin
This is one of my all time favorite books..I read my copy so many times that it is pretty beat up. This book will have you laughing so hard you'll be in tears. We all wish we had gone to a high school like this. LOL.
Susan
Pure fun - what happens when the new kid enters the most lackadaisical school in New York? He and his new best friend stir up hilarious trouble. I loved this book as a kid, and recently reread it for fun.
Christina Bulgin
Great little read (read it in one day...it is a teen book after all!) Hilarious, good ol' Canadian humour. Wonderfully exaggerated characters and funny script. Laugh-out-loud fun for a quick, fun release!
Madison Norton
My absolute favorite book as a youngster. I must have read it 10 times before I made it to 10th grade. Everything about that book spoke to me and I plan to read it again for nostalgia's sake.
Lesley
I found this in a box the other day and the memories came flooding back--what a funny little book! I remember reading this and giggling all the way through. Definitely a childhood favorite.
Londonmabel Mabel
Aug 06, 2010 Londonmabel Mabel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teen readers who want humour
Recommended to Londonmabel by: a fave read when Maggie was a teen
I don't find Korman's humour necessarily works on my 37 year old self, as it did on my 9 year old self, but I would definitely recommend Don't Care High to younger readers.
Introductory Posts 1 1 Nov 13, 2012 06:49AM
Introductory Posts- Avjot Budwal 1 1 Nov 13, 2012 06:43AM
  • Jonathan Cleaned Up — Then He Heard a Sound: Or Blackberry Subway Jam
  • Beginners (The Gymnasts, #1)
  • Binky Under Pressure
  • Orfe
  • The Adventures of a South Pole Pig: A novel of snow and courage
  • Anastasia's Chosen Career (Anastasia Krupnik, #7)
  • Red Wolf
  • Brontorina
  • That Scatterbrain Booky (Booky, #1)
  • The Grounding of Group 6
  • Wings of Fear (Nancy Drew: Files, #13)
  • My Perfect Guy (Sweet Valley Jr. High, #14)
  • The Snarkout Boys and the Avocado of Death
  • The Great Brain at the Academy (Great Brain #4)
  • The Sniffles for Bear
  • Bad Hair Day (Kate Grable #2)
  • The Catalogue of the Universe
  • Always October
Korman wrote his first book, "This Can't be Happening at Macdonald Hall", when he was 12 years old, for a coach who suddenly found himself teaching 7th grade English. He later took that episode and created a book out of it, as well, in "The Sixth Grade Nickname Game", wherein Mr. Huge was based on that 7th grade teacher.

Korman moved to New York City, where he studied film and film writing. While i
More about Gordon Korman...
One False Note (The 39 Clues, #2) The Emperor's Code (The 39 Clues, #8) The Medusa Plot (39 Clues: Cahills vs. Vespers, #1) Schooled Swindle