The Girl with the Iron Touch (The Steampunk Chronicles, #3)

The Girl with the Iron Touch (Steampunk Chronicles #3)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,435 ratings  ·  382 reviews
In 1897 London, something not quite human is about to awaken

When mechanical genius Emily is kidnapped by rogue automatons, Finley Jayne and her fellow misfits fear the worst. What's left of their archenemy, The Machinist, hungers to be resurrected, and Emily must transplant his consciousness into one of his automatons—or forfeit her friends' lives.

With Griffin being myst...more
Published May 28th 2013 by Harlequin TEEN (first published January 1st 2013)

Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadUnravel Me by Tahereh Mafi
YA Novels of 2013
129th out of 1,416 books — 9,843 voters
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadRequiem by Lauren OliverBoundless by Cynthia Hand
2013 Releases
46th out of 588 books — 990 voters

More lists with this book...

Jess
THERE'S A THIRD ONE!!!

IT HAS A NAME!!!

(Just noticed that, that pic matches the cover! Hahaha, so wasn't on purpose!)
Aiashine
BOOKNUT!!!!!!!! BOOKNUT!!!!!!!!!! THE PLOT OFMG...

Finley must contact the highly unsettling Jack Dandy and face her feelings for two vastly different men

FINLEY YOU BITCH PICK DANDY LOL

LOVE THE COVER ANYWAY, DEFINITELY EMILY~
◕ ◡ ◕  Arooj
Bloody brilliant! This was probably the most shocking-and frightening-book in this series. These automatons are damn scary. *shudders*

And we finally get some proper romantic developement between Griffin and Finley! YESSS!

(view spoiler)...more
Melanie
See more reviews at YA Midnight Reads

Mini review

Thank you Harlequin Teen for sending me this copy. No compensation was given or taken to alter the this review.

'All she had to do was destroy his brain. All she had to do was commit murder.'

When it comes to the Steampunk genre, I incline to have emotions jumbled all over the place. The Girl With The Iron Touch tended to be a novel I was on the fence about. While it was most to say, satisfying, I expected much more from Kady Cross. Told...more
Jessica
Dec 29, 2012 Jessica marked it as to-read
Shelves: series
Oh good Lord the cover!

Oh yes

happy fit
Ferdy
Spoilers

-Meh. Most parts were boring, some were plain rubbish, and some were mildly entertaining.

-The storyline wasn't particularly engrossing… Emily goes missing, bad guys act bad, everyone moans about their love life… Blah blah blah.

-The characters were a bit of a mixed bag. Emily and Sam were decent enough — they were mostly likeable and shared quiet a sweet romance. Finley was plain awful, she was so unlikeable and full of herself. I usually like arrogant heroines, but Finley just pissed m...more
Booknut
Rating: 5

'It seemed humans, the scientifically minded ones at least, were either tempting death or trying to prolong life. Surely that was an indication of madness.'

Whilst the occupants of 1897 London slumber, a sinister force awakens below...

Apparently it takes a lot more than a roof to 'off' your enemies these days - as Finley Jayne and her motley group of friends are about to discover.

The Machinist, Leonardo Garibaldi, is not at all dead. He's out for vengeance; to see out his plan for dom...more
Angela
OH MY GOD!!!!! I need to read this now!!! I'm dying to read this AH~~~
I was so hoping that there will be a third on after the second book, now here it is! Super uber excited!! XD

I really hope this will be good and keep up with this awesome Steampunk series :)
Angela
THERE'S ANOTHER ONE ekkkkkkkkkk *fangirls*

MUST READ
Tasneem
I CANT WAIT for this book!!
The girl in the Clockwork Collar was totally awesome and the ending was just perfect.
But i just cant get enough of Griff and Finley and was hoping for a third book :)

June 2013 is too far away! I hate waiting for books to come out

OMG!!!! It has a cover!!
And its absolutely GORGEOUS!
Im totally in love with this book already
**squeal**

Review after reading:

The girl with the iron touch is the third book in the steampunk series.
It had a great plot, was written very well...more
Deniz

This is a piece of Steampunk heaven right there!
I love this series, and Cross definitely delivered beyond my expectations. The world-building is again deliciously mechanical and slightly Goth, just like I like it. It was fun to return to the much liked characters and watch them evolve and grow. Exciting to battle old evil nemesis. And this is definitely the most romantic one of them all.

The storyline is in somewhat similar keeping as the previous books. There is a mystery going on, and one of th...more
Beth
 photo 0004_zps4c7ee41a.gif

I love the Steampunk Chronicles by Kady Cross so of course I broke into my book happy dance when Harlequin Teen sent me this ARC. I am happy to say, I wasn’t disappointed, The Girl with the Iron Touch ROCKED!

This is Emily’s adventure and in Kady Cross style the whole gain came out to play. Emily gets kidnapped by automatons to transplant Leonardo Garibaldi brain into a newly created sentient automaton. Of course Emily doesn’t want to resurrect Machinist since he is pure evil and their nemesis b...more
Jess (The Cozy Reader) Kennedy

Writing: 5
Originality: 5
Characters: 5
Romance: 5
OVERALL: 30/30 PERFECTION!
Title/Cover Bonus: 5

OVERALL
A perfect installment to the Steampunk Chronicles.

Trailer
None at time of review.

First Line
–eARC edition

Most Memorable Scene
When Jack Dandy shows up on Finley’s balcony in...more
Cassandra (The Book & Movie Dimension blogger)
Kady Cross please keep writing more books just love The Steampunk Chronicles!

Excited for The Girl with the Iron Touch.
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: A romantic and odd conclusion to the Steampunk Chronicles. Really, this book just ties up loose ends, but it still leaves some hanging.

Opening Sentence: A giant tentacle slapped the front of the submersible, driving the small craft backward in the water.

The Review:

In the possibly last installment of the Steampunk Chronicles, Finley and the gang have just gotten back from America and are recovering from the disaster there. Only not everyon...more
Snakegoddess716
Need.

Why? Why did it have to be my little Irish girl I freaking love her and she is freaking kidnapped. Damn.

Although I am dying for this freaking love triangle Like who will she pick?

Well for one Griffin is the rich Duke but with serious emotional baggage, we cant forget about that part. Total turn-off but rich does help ;)

Dandy on the other hand Dandy make Finley feel alive and makes her heart beat out of her chest, But sadly criminal who with one word can have The du...more
Linsey
Ok, so by now you know what the plot is and why people loved it.

Well, why they said they loved it. I can't really figure that out, myself. Maybe I'm not meant for "Teen Harlequin" novels when I came for Steampunk. Don't get me wrong, each book has given me enjoyment, but also each book has seemed somewhat... lacking.

Anyway, these are some of the issues I've had with it.

1) Griffin-Finley-Jack Triangle. It hasn't been a triangle since the first book, but it's like Cross is still trying to push the...more
Kirsty (Amethyst Bookwyrm)

Thanks to Netgalley and Harlequin for giving me this book to review.

Ever since coming back from America, Griffin has been distant from the group and seems to be tormented by something to do with the Aether and this is starting to worry the group of misfits, especially Finley who is worried that he does not tell her because he does not care about her as much as she does. However, they have to put their worry aside wh...more
Novels On The Run
BOOK REVIEW by Michelle 15th MARCH 2013 :

RATING : 4.75 JACK & GRIFFIN ARE MY ADDICTION STARS!!

Kady Cross always entertains me with her motley crew of characters in this YA series.

The story leapt off the page with a fantastic first chapter. LOL! Not in a million years will you guess what happens, very random, exciting and creative. I could just see Kady sitting at her computer thinking how am I going to start book 3, light bulb moment, oh this will be fun!

I got quotes a plenty and ......*s...more
Karly
Well now, how did I forget to review you?! Hmmmmmm. I blame Chris, and since he is not on here to defend himself I will get away with it.

This is the third story in Cross's The Steampunk Chronicles. Please note, I love all things steampunk - including the band Steam Powered Giraffe! So this series was a no brainer for me.

It's rather fluffy reading with adorable and predictable characters but there's nothing wrong with that.

Emily (the focal character in The Girl with the Iron Touch) is my favou...more

I NEED THIS BOOK NOW.

------------------------

3.7 Not as good as the others, but still very enjoyable
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Buddy read with Cass Words on Paper.

I love this series. 3 books in and I give them 5 stars. This series...just...wow. Anyway, this has the gang try to find and rescue kidnapped Emily who a certain enemy of theirs wants the Irish red head for her skills.

Throughout, there's times I'm thinking, you two (Finley and Griffin), remember Emily, you're friend, little red read, their tension was off the charts. Its like, priorities please.

Sam you are adorable, find your woman dude! I wasn't sure I was g...more
Sandra
11-7-12
Why in the name of all that keeps us sane do we have to wait so long to read the next book? por que? why do you do these evil things to us? do you enjoy our pain? mala..... evil.... cow.... wench.... damn i can't think of more words now but i may in the future. *glares the 'if looks could kill' glare.
Qing

The only reason why I persevered in finishing this book (even though it was damn hard) was to find out what was going to happen... yes, even though it was pretty obvious what was going to happen - you knew it as soon as the story started (okay, not quite, but almost!). I wanted to make sure what I expected to happen would happen or maybe be surprised by it having a huge plot twist and I'd be like "omg! no way!" (sadly not the latter).

Besides the utterly and infuriatingly slow scenes bet...more
Turtles
This was hard for me to read. I really adore the characters but I felt like there was nothing new in their story other than romance. Obviously Sam and Emily are going strong, but their internal battles are the same-old as the last books. We had more screen time with Emily, but she doesn't read any different than Finley. I was hoping for some Jack time too, and he was there with quips blaring. Though he was straight up friend-zoned by Finley. If there was a kiss with him and Finley, my hopeful ey...more
Monica Williams
I have been a huge fan of the Steampunk Chronicles series since I discovered it at PLA last year. I'm picky about my steampunk, but this series always holds my attention. Other volumes have focused on other characters, but this time it is Emily's time to shine. Emily like her compatriots has some interesting abilities. She can literally communicate with machines in their own language. Emily's brilliance has attracted some unwanted attention and she is kidnapped by rogue automatons who are workin...more
Cindy
Yay! It was so much fun to be back with Finley and her gang of misfits. What a wonderfully well written engaging and creative story. The characters I love them all, they are so well developed and interesting. Just can't get enough of them, especially Jack Dandy and Griffin,heheh. This story caters to Emily and I was really glad because she is one of my favorites, she is small, large in spirit and passion, intelligent, creative, hurt, flawed, sweet, tough, you get the picture she is pretty amazin...more
Ida

Crap! I need air!

Oh my dear heavens! I never understood what the saying "Be careful what you wish for, cause you just might get it", that is until I've read this book.

I never thought it was gonna be this way, even if I was viciously begging wishing for it. It was beyond my expectations and more. Heck, SO MUCH FREAKING MORE!

photo tumblr_malu54JVh31r5yovgo4_250_zps5be49d3c.gif

Since I don't want to be that too much of a spoiler, here are some vague ideas I can give you on what to expect in this book.

1. This book is H.O.T.
2. Old foes, new...more
Susan
The Girl With the Iron Touch is a fantastic read, filled with excitement, mystery, and daring adventure. Kady Cross does not disappoint, as she continues to build her world with interesting technology, beautifully descriptive surroundings, and wonderful characters. The setting of this novel is absolutely brilliant! Set in the Victorian era, the gorgeous imagery is vibrant and alive with an air of sophistication that is sure to wow and stun readers. This is definitely a steampunk paranormal nove...more
I'm Confused... 4 14 Feb 18, 2014 03:39PM
! YA Heroines !: January BOTM - The Girl with the Iron Touch 2 10 Jan 05, 2014 09:33AM
are there going to be more? 8 51 Dec 20, 2013 02:19PM
Hasn't Sam already been to Dandy's house? 5 23 Jul 10, 2013 06:12PM
I Hope... 1 20 Oct 29, 2012 05:04PM
  • Heart of Brass (Clockwork Agents, #1)
  • A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
  • Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4)
  • Magnificent Devices (Magnificent Devices #3)
  • A Spark Unseen (The Dark Unwinding, #2)
  • Charmed Vengeance (The Aether Chronicles, #2)
  • Long Live the Queen (The Immortal Empire, #3)
  • A Conspiracy of Alchemists (The Chronicle of Light and Shadow, #1)
  • Sacrifice (Legacy, #3)
  • The Miss Education of Dr. Exeter (Paranormal Investigator, #3)
  • The Deepest Night (The Sweetest Dark, #2)
  • A Study in Darkness (The Baskerville Affair, #2)
  • The Mirrored Shard (Iron Codex, #3)
  • Gilded (The St. Croix Chronicles, #2)
  • The Red Plague Affair (Bannon & Clare, #2)
  • Dance of the Red Death (Masque of the Red Death, #2)
  • Curtsies & Conspiracies (Finishing School, #2)
  • Sweet Legacy (Medusa Girls, #3)
Kady Cross is a pseudonym for USA Today bestselling author Kathryn Smith. She lives in Connecticut with her husband and a pride of cats. She likes singing with Rock Band on the 360, British guys, Vietnamese food, and makeup (she’s hopelessly addicted to YouTube makeup tutorials!). When she’s not writing Kady likes to catch up on her favorite TV shows, read a good book or make her own cosmetics.
More about Kady Cross...
The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1) The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2) The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Steampunk Chronicles, #0.5) The Dark Discovery of Jack Dandy (Steampunk Chronicles, #2.5) The Wild Adventure of Jasper Renn (The Steampunk Chronicles, #3.5)

“You're not a distraction, you're a bloody obsession.” 19 likes
“I'm not going to be a distraction for you, or allow you to be one for me."

"A distraction?" He folded his arms across his chest. "Is that what you think you are? What I am? Bloody hell, woman. I need something to distract me from you!”
18 likes