Start by marking “Three Novellas: The Legend of the Holy Drinker, Fallmerayer the Stationmaster and The Bust of the Emperor (Works of Joseph Roth)” as Want to Read:

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  65 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Written in the final days of Roth's life, it is a novella of sparkling lucidity and humanity. "Fallmerayer the Stationmaster" and "The Bust of the Emperor" are Roth's most acclaimed works of shorter fiction.
Published October 28th 2003 by The Overlook Press

To ask other readers questions about Three Novellas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Novellas

bess Stiffelman
May 01, 2007 bess Stiffelman rated it it was amazing
Perhaps my favorite of all the roths, of course you don't get incest or sex with with a piece of liver like in henry and philip's infamous novels. But I strongly recommend. Haunting and lovely.
Darryl
Apr 18, 2010 Darryl rated it really liked it
This was an excellent introduction to Roth, which consisted of three very good novellas:

Fallmerayer the Stationmaster: The life of a stationmaster in a small Austrian town is permanently altered after he rescues a Russian countess from a horrible train crash a short distance away.

The Bust of the Emperor: An aging count and relic of the defeated Hapsburg Empire is forced to come to terms with the changes in post World War I Europe and his diminished status.

The Legend of the Holy Drinker: A vagran
Fred
Feb 02, 2008 Fred rated it liked it
i checked this collection out of the library for one of its stories, "the legend of the holy drinker", and that's the only one i've read so far. it's an interesting story -- a strangely whimsical account of a hapless drunk who an unspecified holy power keeps helping -- sort of the opposite of Job, i guess. it's translated from german, and if the translation is an accurate one, i'd say the story has an oddly whimsical tone. my first impression after reading it was: fun-to-read but kinda insubstan ...more
Lauren Albert
Dec 18, 2009 Lauren Albert rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I was worried when I disliked the first book--Fallmerayer. It seemed to be a conventional story of a man driven by passion to adultery. But the other two novellas were unusual and interesting. The Legend of the Holy Drinker was both funny and sad as the Drinker finds himself driven alternately by "miracles" and alcohol. The Bust of the Emperor is a humane portrait of a man unable to accept the fall of the Empire
Jan
Jun 28, 2014 Jan rated it it was amazing
Joseph Roth (1894-1939) preserves in fiction the lost world of the Austro-Hungarian empire between the world wars and of Eastern European Jewry. Whenever I read his work, I feel as though I am reading the history of my ancestors. The writing is staggeringly good. These three novellas are expertly crafted.
Pastor Ben
Aug 03, 2016 Pastor Ben rated it really liked it
I adored the middle novella, "The Bust of the Emperor." I give it seven stars out of five. The other two were fine, but couldn't shine next to their compatriot. It touched a nerve for me and I'm not being rational in the slightest. But don't stories do that sometimes?
Catherine Corman
Mar 04, 2009 Catherine Corman rated it liked it
An honest man is doubly shamed at the sight of meanness, first because the very existence of it is shameful, second because he sees at once that he has been deceived in his heart.

-Joseph Roth, The Bust of the Emperor
Ken
Mar 15, 2014 Ken rated it really liked it
Three nearly perfect novellas. One is tempted to cite Chekhov, but Roth is more political than Anton. The demise of the Austrian Empire looms large, explicitly in the first two, more symbolically in the third. Highly recommended.
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2013
Jeramy Graham
Jeramy Graham rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2010
Tim Kurth
Tim Kurth rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2015
Cak Faltermeger
Cak Faltermeger rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2014
Vojtěch
Vojtěch rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Christiane Alsop
Christiane Alsop rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2010
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Russell Chere
Russell Chere rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2014
Arran Meachim
Arran Meachim rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2013
Ludwig Joseph
Ludwig Joseph rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2010
Bradburn
Bradburn rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2007
Mehdi
Mehdi rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2010
Ben Ostrander
Ben Ostrander rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2015
Rob
Rob rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2008
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2012
Gayle Fallon
Gayle Fallon rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2007
Einar
Einar rated it really liked it
Aug 22, 2014
Juan Cambronero Chan
Juan Cambronero Chan rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Matt Essig
Matt Essig rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 04, 2009
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2007
« previous 1 3 next »
Joseph Roth was born and grew up in Brody, a small town near Lemberg in East Galicia, part of the easternmost reaches of what was then the Austro-Hungarian empire and is now Ukraine. Roth was born into a Jewish family. He died in Paris.

More about Joseph Roth...