Start by marking “Every House Is Haunted” as Want to Read:
Every House Is Haunted

Every House Is Haunted

"There are haunted places in the world, all existing in reality and every bit as tangible and accessible as the house next door. Sometimes it is the house next door."

In this brilliant debut collection, Ian Rogers explores the border-places between our world and the dark reaches of the supernatural. The landscape of death becomes the new frontier for scientific exploration.
Published October 15th 2012 by ChiZine (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Every House Is Haunted, please sign up.

Ian Rogers Hi Edwardky,

Hi Edwardky,

No, EVERY HOUSE IS HAUNTED is a separate collection of dark fiction stories. "The Brick" only appeared in SUPERNOIRTURAL TALES. And while SUPERNOIRTURAL TALES is set in my Black Lands universe, the stories in EVERY HOUSE IS HAUNTED are standalone horror tales with only a few subtle connections to each other. (less)

karen
3.5 stars.

even though i have come a long way w/r/t my feelings towards short stories, i still have trouble writing reviews for them. i have written reviews in which i have painstakingly reviewed each individual story, but that is such a pain in the ass, because sometimes certain stories in a collection will just leave me cold, and once you've committed to that structure of a review, it's like "AARRGGH what was i thinking?"

and that is why i am not going to do that with this book. this book is a c
Alana
Sep 11, 2016 Alana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The stories in this book weren't exactly what I expected (straight up horror), but I greatly enjoyed this collection nonetheless. Quite a few of them seemed to fall more into the realm of fantasy, though there were definitely some creepy moments in there. I also liked the variety in this collection in tone, mood, and length.
I liked all the stories, but I think my favorites were "The Dark and the Young", "The Rifts Between Us", and "Charlotte's Frequency". On the whole, I definitely recommend thi
Gef
Oct 04, 2012 Gef rated it really liked it
I love ghost stories, so by the title alone I was instantly drawn to this book. The stories, however, are not focused solely on apparitions and spooky old houses. The book does have its fair share, though. I think Paul Tremblay puts it best in his introduction: "Ian's stories are explorations of the cosmic, social, and paranormal what-ifs, of the terrible and wonderful awe of possibility. Yeah, that's this book in a nutshell.

The book is segmented in five parts, with a few stories in each: the ve
Isidore
Jan 21, 2016 Isidore rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An impressive debut collection by yet another talented Canadian writer of weird fiction.

There is a wide range of style and subject matter on display, which I suppose can be seen either as a young writer's excitement at experimentation, or as exploration in search of a distinctive voice. Not all the experiments succeed, but Rogers is never dull, and always intelligent.

He has a gift for the surreal, especially piquant in its lack of pretension. His prose and characters are usually the sort one mi
Marie
Sep 27, 2016 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this! Every piece is wonderful. Rogers has a great cinematic style and is great with imagery.
Orrin Grey
Oct 19, 2012 Orrin Grey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Full disclosure, before I get into the meat of this review: Ian and I are friends, though we’ve only met in person a couple of times. I’ve known him since we were both published together in Bound for Evil back in 2008, and we both did our first ever book signing at that year’s Readercon. You can rest assured, though, that while our friendship affects how excited I am to see him have such a handsome book in print, it wouldn’t be enough to make me be as effusive in my praise as I am about to be.

Ev
Chantel Coughlin
really fantastic collection. I think the first story, Aces, was my favorite.
Barry
Aug 16, 2013 Barry rated it it was ok
I'll be the first to admit/point out that I didn't finish this book.

The stories aren't bad or poorly-written. Mr. Rogers has very cool ideas at work in his noggin, and it's great that he gets to explore them, yet at times, they appear to lack clear endings. Often, a story will open, unfold, slowly revealing its dark machinations--and then abruptly stops.

For one thing, "Aces" was beautiful, touching, and more than a little creepy; I loved it. "Autumnology" was super-short (3 pages!), but still ee
Bonnie Randall
Well written with some pieces reminiscent of Stephen King, but....the storytelling style wasn't my cuppa; too many of these stories plopped the reader into a white box and goals / motivation were murky or there was no clear beginning / middle / end to the tales. So while these were all really cool 'snapshots', any narrative drive felt like it was missing and so I needed to set this collection aside and move on.
Mike
Dec 20, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A strong collection of horror stories!
Jenemae Abella
Jan 17, 2017 Jenemae Abella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a good book
Sean
Jan 02, 2017 Sean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much better than I expected!

I've purchased books from unfamiliar authors in the past and am usually disappointed by the level of writing. However, Mr. Rogers' tales are extremely well written, inventive and, more often than not, will send more than one shiver down the reader's spine. I would describe some of the tales as being Raymond Carver-ish. If you're familiar with his work, you'll enjoy Every House is Haunted. Even if you're not, I'd highly recommend picking up this superb book of short st
Josh
Mar 18, 2014 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, favorite
A few stories into Every House Is Haunted, Rogers’ debut collection, I thought I had it pegged. A little bit of Matheson, some Lovecraft, a dash of Frank Capra (yes, you read that correctly. Don’t worry, I’ll explain). Moving further into the nooks, crannies and dark corners of the haunts contained herein, I came to appreciate the sheer range of Ian’s imagination and his skill as a weaver of words. If you want something easily consumed, labeled and set aside, you’d best look elsewhere. These sto ...more
Corey
Jan 14, 2014 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Winner of the ReLit Award for Best Short Fiction, Ian Roger’s debut is a corker, a paean to everything that scares us. Like the best of horror fiction, Rogers’ stories defy easy categorization. A jazz club may or may not be Hell, but is certainly not a place you want to visit. A loveable housecat proves adept at exterminating pests of all sizes. A campfire story takes an unusual turn. And in “Deleted Scenes” (my favourite in a collection rife with nominees), an actor finds himself employment by ...more
Udolpho
Jul 10, 2013 Udolpho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have given this five stars, but I had one issue with it. A lot of the stories seemed like snippets from much longer stories, or like they could have been developed into full length books. I became frustrated when they ended so quickly, especially when I though were clever premises. As I read I found myself chiding myself, "Don't get too attached. This is going to end soon." Maybe this is an unfair criticism, since I knew the book was short stories from the beginning.

It was very enjoyabl
Amanda
Jul 18, 2016 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, solid, creepy, quirky, imaginative horror. Most stories are very short, practically flash fiction, and something about this compels you to read on, to have just one more, just one more, like you’ve got your hand in a bag of chips. I dragged this book around the house and read it while I cooked and played with the dog and waited for pages to load.

[This review originally appeared on my blog. You can see the post here.]
Robert
Jan 14, 2013 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the most satisfying short story collection by a single author that I've read in over a year. Rogers goes for the dread rather than the gross-out, which is a nice change of pace from the recent batch of work from newer horror authors. Some may not like many of the stories ending on a note of ambiguity, although it never hurts to exercise one's mind every now and then. Highly recommended.
Nicholas Kaufmann
Oct 23, 2013 Nicholas Kaufmann rated it really liked it
A fantastic collection of short horror stories. Rogers has an immensely original and unpredictable imagination. Stories like "Aces" and "Inheritor" are absolutely captivating. I can't wait to see what he writes next!
Suellen
Wow! I really like the way this guy writes. This is a book of supernatural/horror short stories. Each one of them had the feel, to me anyway, of an episode of The Twilight Zone. I didn't find them terribly scary but they definitely were all disturbing on one level or another. Good collection!
Melissa
Apr 30, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aleithia I think you would enjoy this book...
M Griffin
Feb 06, 2013 M Griffin rated it it was amazing
Many of the 22 short stories in Every House is Haunted, the debut collection by Ian Rogers, feel connected. As the title suggests, this is a book about hauntings, though the stories Rogers tells venture beyond the well-worn template of the haunted house tale. On top of this unifying theme, several stories also feature paranormal investigators, something like agents Mulder and Scully of the X-Files, or hint at a shadowy group overseeing such intrusions. Rogers seeks to establish a common world in ...more
Tobin Elliott
Apr 28, 2013 Tobin Elliott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hard-copy
Full disclosure: I am a friend of Ian Rogers and we've both been published by the same publisher (Burning Effigy). That being said, I'm still going to be completely honest and forthright in my review.

Reading any short story collection is an interesting experience for a reader. Instead of getting a single, all-encompassing insight into the author, you're treated to several different facets which, to me, put that author into a better perspective.

In Every House Is Haunted, you can't look at this as
CiderandRedRot
A mix of hits and misses like most short stories collections, not necessarily in regards to Rogers writing style, but more just concepts I could/couldn't give two shits about. It didn't help that I really didn't like the first few stories (Cabin D being an exception), but then there was the one-two punch of A Night in the Library with the Gods, with it's familiar Toronto location (Fisher Rare Books represent), and The Nanny, and I was more on board.

I'm much more drawn to anything paranormal as
Christopher Irvin
Sep 12, 2013 Christopher Irvin rated it it was amazing
Some of the best dark/horror fiction these days can be found in short story collections. Ian Roger’s EVERY HOUSE IS HAUNTED is no exception.

EVERY HOUSE IS HAUNTED lands smack in the middle of some of my favorite kinds of horror. It’s haunting (as the title suggests) but more than that, it carries a ghostly vibe throughout. The stories are moody and thought provoking, odd and sometimes bizarre. The story “The House on Ashley Avenue” was nominated for a Shirley Jackson Award this year. My other fa
Jennifer Irving
Jan 30, 2013 Jennifer Irving rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it was a collection of short stories. With "horror" stories, there's always the risk of making it look like padding, losing the thread of the story, growing boring. Doing the book as a collection of short stories eliminates this.

Some stories should have been shorter, some I wished were longer. The stories were all different. It wasn't death, death, death. There were different horror-genres represented.

It was a pretty fast read, and an easy read because I could open it
Amy Carlson
Sep 28, 2014 Amy Carlson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the bulk of the stories in the collection. Like, seriously loved them.

However, the few that I found to be disappointing were due to the fact that they ended far too soon - these were the creepy adventures that I wanted to explore far more in depth. Nothing quite like getting wrapped up into the lives of the characters and then... what? It's over already? Noooooooo!

I look forward to reading more from Ian Rogers in the future, especially if he moves into publishing full-length novels.
Tracy
I was pleasantly surprised by this short story collection. Sure some stories fell flat while others excelled, but altogether it was a quick, engaging read that focused more on a general sense of unease/creepiness versus graphic gore or violence. The author really presents a variety of horror elements(zombies, haunted houses, science fiction, Lovecraftian, ghosts, spiders)so each story gives you a little something different from the last. Plus since they were all quick, it was great for picking u ...more
Jessica
Jan 19, 2013 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed Ian's collection of short stories and I'm generally not a fan of short stories. I think that it's because I am always left wanting more and feeling like I just can't get into the story. But that wasn't the case with Ian's tales. There were a few that left me wanting more, but only because I was interested in more and not because I felt that things were left unresolved - see The Nanny, Cabin D and The Inheritor. Oh, and The Cat freaked me out, since I have three of them.
Cynthia Fry
Jan 14, 2014 Cynthia Fry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
A good book of short stories, this is one authors collection. Some stories are creepy and some are psychologically disturbing. I was thankful that none of the stories were truly gruesome. There is some blood but not the gore that often accompanies the horror of this day. Definitely has encouraged me to read other collections editted and authored by Ian Rogers.
Mar 26, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: very-good
A very good collection of short stories! I was genuinely surprised, because the short story form is very difficult. There is little room to develop characters and atmosphere. I enjoyed every one of these chillers, and am looking for more from this author. He plays on your mind, without being overtly gruesome.
  • Monstrous Affections
  • Enter, Night
  • In the Mean Time
  • Bullettime
  • Mr. Gaunt and Other Uneasy Encounters
  • Beneath the Surface (Revised & Expanded)
  • The World More Full of Weeping
  • Quiet Houses
  • Shoebox Train Wreck
  • The Inner City
  • The Summer is Ended and We Are Not Yet Saved
  • Ninja Versus Pirate Featuring Zombies (How To End Human Suffering #1)
  • People Live Still in Cashtown Corners
Ian Rogers is a writer, artist, and photographer. His debut collection, Every House Is Haunted, was the winner of the 2013 ReLit Award in the Short Fiction category. His novelette, “The House on Ashley Avenue,” was nominated for the Shirley Jackson Award and is currently in development for television at NBC. His short fiction has appeared in several markets, including Cemetery Dance, Broken Pencil ...more
More about Ian Rogers...