Every House Is Haunted

Every House Is Haunted

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  23 reviews
"There are haunted places in the world, all existing in reality and every bit as tangible and accessible as the house next door. Sometimes it is the house next door."

In this brilliant debut collection, Ian Rogers explores the border-places between our world and the dark reaches of the supernatural. The landscape of death becomes the new frontier for scientific exploration....more
Published October 15th 2012 by ChiZine (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Every House Is Haunted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every House Is Haunted

karen
3.5 stars.

even though i have come a long way w/r/t my feelings towards short stories, i still have trouble writing reviews for them. i have written reviews in which i have painstakingly reviewed each individual story, but that is such a pain in the ass, because sometimes certain stories in a collection will just leave me cold, and once you've committed to that structure of a review, it's like "AARRGGH what was i thinking?"

and that is why i am not going to do that with this book. this book is a c...more
Gef
I love ghost stories, so by the title alone I was instantly drawn to this book. The stories, however, are not focused solely on apparitions and spooky old houses. The book does have its fair share, though. I think Paul Tremblay puts it best in his introduction: "Ian's stories are explorations of the cosmic, social, and paranormal what-ifs, of the terrible and wonderful awe of possibility. Yeah, that's this book in a nutshell.

The book is segmented in five parts, with a few stories in each: the ve...more
Orrin Grey
Full disclosure, before I get into the meat of this review: Ian and I are friends, though we’ve only met in person a couple of times. I’ve known him since we were both published together in Bound for Evil back in 2008, and we both did our first ever book signing at that year’s Readercon. You can rest assured, though, that while our friendship affects how excited I am to see him have such a handsome book in print, it wouldn’t be enough to make me be as effusive in my praise as I am about to be.

Ev...more
Corey
Winner of the ReLit Award for Best Short Fiction, Ian Roger’s debut is a corker, a paean to everything that scares us. Like the best of horror fiction, Rogers’ stories defy easy categorization. A jazz club may or may not be Hell, but is certainly not a place you want to visit. A loveable housecat proves adept at exterminating pests of all sizes. A campfire story takes an unusual turn. And in “Deleted Scenes” (my favourite in a collection rife with nominees), an actor finds himself employment by...more
Udolpho
I would have given this five stars, but I had one issue with it. A lot of the stories seemed like snippets from much longer stories, or like they could have been developed into full length books. I became frustrated when they ended so quickly, especially when I though were clever premises. As I read I found myself chiding myself, "Don't get too attached. This is going to end soon." Maybe this is an unfair criticism, since I knew the book was short stories from the beginning.

It was very enjoyabl...more
Nicholas Kaufmann
A fantastic collection of short horror stories. Rogers has an immensely original and unpredictable imagination. Stories like "Aces" and "Inheritor" are absolutely captivating. I can't wait to see what he writes next!
M Griffin
Many of the 22 short stories in Every House is Haunted, the debut collection by Ian Rogers, feel connected. As the title suggests, this is a book about hauntings, though the stories Rogers tells venture beyond the well-worn template of the haunted house tale. On top of this unifying theme, several stories also feature paranormal investigators, something like agents Mulder and Scully of the X-Files, or hint at a shadowy group overseeing such intrusions. Rogers seeks to establish a common world in...more
Tobin Elliott
Full disclosure: I am a friend of Ian Rogers and we've both been published by the same publisher (Burning Effigy). That being said, I'm still going to be completely honest and forthright in my review.

Reading any short story collection is an interesting experience for a reader. Instead of getting a single, all-encompassing insight into the author, you're treated to several different facets which, to me, put that author into a better perspective.

In Every House Is Haunted, you can't look at this as...more
Christopher Irvin
Some of the best dark/horror fiction these days can be found in short story collections. Ian Roger’s EVERY HOUSE IS HAUNTED is no exception.

EVERY HOUSE IS HAUNTED lands smack in the middle of some of my favorite kinds of horror. It’s haunting (as the title suggests) but more than that, it carries a ghostly vibe throughout. The stories are moody and thought provoking, odd and sometimes bizarre. The story “The House on Ashley Avenue” was nominated for a Shirley Jackson Award this year. My other fa...more
Tracy
I was pleasantly surprised by this short story collection. Sure some stories fell flat while others excelled, but altogether it was a quick, engaging read that focused more on a general sense of unease/creepiness versus graphic gore or violence. The author really presents a variety of horror elements(zombies, haunted houses, science fiction, Lovecraftian, ghosts, spiders)so each story gives you a little something different from the last. Plus since they were all quick, it was great for picking u...more
Jennifer Irving
I liked this book because it was a collection of short stories. With "horror" stories, there's always the risk of making it look like padding, losing the thread of the story, growing boring. Doing the book as a collection of short stories eliminates this.

Some stories should have been shorter, some I wished were longer. The stories were all different. It wasn't death, death, death. There were different horror-genres represented.

It was a pretty fast read, and an easy read because I could open it...more
Josh
A few stories into Every House Is Haunted, Rogers’ debut collection, I thought I had it pegged. A little bit of Matheson, some Lovecraft, a dash of Frank Capra (yes, you read that correctly. Don’t worry, I’ll explain). Moving further into the nooks, crannies and dark corners of the haunts contained herein, I came to appreciate the sheer range of Ian’s imagination and his skill as a weaver of words. If you want something easily consumed, labeled and set aside, you’d best look elsewhere. These sto...more
Jessica
I really enjoyed Ian's collection of short stories and I'm generally not a fan of short stories. I think that it's because I am always left wanting more and feeling like I just can't get into the story. But that wasn't the case with Ian's tales. There were a few that left me wanting more, but only because I was interested in more and not because I felt that things were left unresolved - see The Nanny, Cabin D and The Inheritor. Oh, and The Cat freaked me out, since I have three of them.
Robert
Probably the most satisfying short story collection by a single author that I've read in over a year. Rogers goes for the dread rather than the gross-out, which is a nice change of pace from the recent batch of work from newer horror authors. Some may not like many of the stories ending on a note of ambiguity, although it never hurts to exercise one's mind every now and then. Highly recommended.
Cynthia Fry
A good book of short stories, this is one authors collection. Some stories are creepy and some are psychologically disturbing. I was thankful that none of the stories were truly gruesome. There is some blood but not the gore that often accompanies the horror of this day. Definitely has encouraged me to read other collections editted and authored by Ian Rogers.
A very good collection of short stories! I was genuinely surprised, because the short story form is very difficult. There is little room to develop characters and atmosphere. I enjoyed every one of these chillers, and am looking for more from this author. He plays on your mind, without being overtly gruesome.
Kyle Johnson
This is a really fantastic collection. The prose is sharp and the stories are lean and focused. Rogers does a lot of wonderful things here, and it is definitely worth your time.
Brian
A strong collection of short stories spanning the individual slivers of the horror genre.
Barry
I'll be the first to admit/point out that I didn't finish this book. I just couldn't make myself read any farther, however.

The stories are not *bad,* per se; I just didn't like them. Mr. Rogers has very cool ideas at work in his noggin, and it's great that he gets to explore them, yet...they just sort of go nowhere. Each story opens, begins to unfold, slowly reveals its dark machinat-- END, next story. Open, unfold, reveal, stop. Again and again. Here are the stories I made it through:

"Aces" was...more
Tobin Elliott

In Every House Is Haunted, you can't look at this as...more
Naomi
Synopsis: A collection of 20 short stories that explores the depths between our world and that of the supernatural.

My rating: 3 Stars

My opinion: Although, Rogers clearly demonstrates that he is a master of the short story in his development and layout, the stories left me kind of cold. I expected the stories to be much more creepier than what they truly were. They were much more psychologically creepy in nature. I was expecting stories which were much more focused on haunted houses and I didn't...more
WTL
(As audiobook). Enjoyed!
April
Will review soon.
Liv Heller
Liv Heller marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Kimberly Nyman
Kimberly Nyman marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Denis Pedersen
Denis Pedersen marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Evelyn
Evelyn is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2014
  • Wild Fell
  • Fears Unnamed
  • Westlake Soul
  • The World More Full of Weeping
  • Ninja Versus Pirate Featuring Zombies (How To End Human Suffering #1)
  • The Summer is Ended and We Are Not Yet Saved
  • A Pretty Mouth
  • Blood and Other Cravings: Original Stories of Vampires and Vampirism by Today's Greatest Writers of Dark Fiction
  • 100 Ghastly Little Ghost Stories
  • This Strange Way of Dying: Stories of Magic, Desire & the Fantastic
  • Every Shallow Cut
  • The n-Body Problem
  • Dark Faith
  • Cold to the Touch
Ian Rogers is a writer, artist, and photographer. His debut collection, Every House Is Haunted, was the winner of the 2013 ReLit Award in the Short Fiction category. His novelette, “The House on Ashley Avenue,” was nominated for the Shirley Jackson Award and has been optioned for television by Universal Cable Productions. His short fiction has appeared in several markets, including Cemetery Dance,...more
More about Ian Rogers...
Temporary Monsters SuperNOIRtural Tales Black-Eyed Kids The Ash Angels Deadstock