Start by marking “People Live Still in Cashtown Corners” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
People Live Still in C...
Tony Burgess

Read eBook* *Different edition

People Live Still in Cashtown Corners

"It is what it is. That's her car out there and, well, that's her right there."

Jeremy looks at the woman again. There's a few flies dipping in and out of the back of her skull.

"What happened to her?"

I feel a little uncomfortable. I wasn't really planning to lay it all out like this.

"Well, I hate to say this but I killed her."

Jeremy nods slowly. He's starting to take this i
Published April 17th 2012 by ChiZine (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about People Live Still in Cashtown Corners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People Live Still in Cashtown Corners

Robert Boyczuk
Nov 03, 2010 Robert Boyczuk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Disturbing, but in the right kind of ways. Wonderful, evocative language that is inventive (without drawing too much attention to itself) while effortlessly carrying forward the narrative. Made me believe I was in the mind of a mass murderer.
Nov 29, 2010 karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
so i love this book, but writing the review for it is pissing me off a little bit. as a procrastination tactic, because i really didn't feel like burrowing back into my paper just yet, i thought, "i shall write a very informed review for once; one which edifies its readers and is full of facts and figures and well-constructed sentences and no cursewords or animal pictures."

seriously, that isn't going to fucking happen.

because i may be being fooled. i don't keep up on true crime stories from can
William Freedman
Dec 28, 2010 William Freedman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't been aware of Tony Burgess until about three months ago. I was flipping through channels and found -- on IFC I think, but maybe it was FearNet -- a zombie movie I'd never seen or heard of before, and it was only 10 minutes in. It had the unlikely title, "Pontypool," which suggested correctly that it was a low-budget indy -- one set, enough awkwardly paced dialogue to suggest that second takes were a rare luxury -- but didn't imply anything to do with zombies. A zombie movie without the ...more
Wahiaronkwas David
What a hell of a read. This story moves like a boat on extremely choppy waters, and I never saw what was coming. One starts to hope, and then suddenly every thing falls out from under the reader's feet. Scary ride through a disturbed mind.

Five scribbled heads out of five.
Greg Gillis
Feb 13, 2011 Greg Gillis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book it starts out with an amazing story there are a couple of times that I got a little lost as to what was going on but it did all come together at the end. I really enjoy reading something that is new and refreshing horror at least to me this was.
Mar 20, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I sit without taking my eyes off her. The hole in her forehead isn’t closing or healing, but it isn’t festering either. Her eyes are shaded prettily in blue and purple. Bruises that haven’t changed. She pulls her long black hair back behind her shoulders.”

Tony Burgess is a very disturbed man.

From the author of Pontypool Changes Everything comes a sparse, economical novella about one gas station attendant’s sudden decision to become a mass murderer. Why would he do this? Boredom. A break from
Jun 08, 2011 Selenem rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I was reading, I found myself responding to this book in three and four syllables. Some examples:

Oh my gawd.
Guy's nuckin' futs.
eeYUW....(OK, that's two).

You get the idea. When I was younger, I loved me a good serial killer yarn, or more appropriately, Bob Clark, our anti-hero, is a "spree killer." But as I've aged, I find it's hard to root for them; in fact, most of the time, I want to see them get the chair.

We're in Canada, so that won't happen. In fact, it's unclear what does happen t
Jonathan Ball
Jun 05, 2011 Jonathan Ball rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you aren’t reading Tony Burgess, you are missing out on one of Canada’s best authors, period, not to mention some of the most gripping, experimental horror in the genre.
Michael Poeltl
Jun 25, 2011 Michael Poeltl rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Told in a chilling first person POV, this book grabs you right away and puts you in the head of a man whose mind has snapped.

His actions thereafter left an indelible mark on my mind. The random cruelty and unconscionable acts so easily performed on citizens of his small town, people he knew and those just passing through gives us pause to understand why this is happening.

Told in graphic detail from one evil act to another, our POV character questions his own actions even while carrying out each
Jul 28, 2011 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
One of the things I like to while I sit in my booth is pretend it's September 11. How awesome is that? Anyone can do it and it's like you have the greatest time for free. Your imagination can do whatever it wants to, of course, that's how we get things like sex with alligators and people who make baby bridges across rivers of lava. But every once in a while the imagination gets to step over its borders and be something. That happened on September 11.

Karen wrote a good review for this book and i
Sep 28, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very strange, and horrifically revolting. I like it.
Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance]
I love that Burgess can show you the inside of a broken brain in a believable, instinctively understandable way. Of course this meant I spent half the book wondering if the act of understanding the book equated with being a sociopath myself. So that was.... creepy.

But while Cashtown has the intelligence of Pontypool and Idaho Winter, for me it just doesn't have the beauty or the heart. I raced through this book in a day without highlighting anything, re-reading anything or gasping out loud. Mayb
Phil Chenevert
Nov 20, 2011 Phil Chenevert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I just recorded this book for Iambik and it was compelling, startling, repulsive and unveiling all at the same time. Written from the internal dialog of a serial killer you can imagine ... well perhaps you can't imagine what goes on inside the brains (yes, two of them) of a deranged murderer.

Short book but well written.
Jun 13, 2015 Melki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, disturbing
"Well, ma'am, looks like the problem is people. They just make us nervous and then we kill them. And then we feel better until someone makes us nervous again. And well, ma'am, that's the way it lays."

It's true, Bob Clark DOES NOT have a way with people. He doesn't like talking to them and he damn sure doesn't like seeing them.

I don't like faces on people in town so I scribble over them. I don't actually recall what Feck looks like in the face. Just swirls and loops out of a ballpoint. Round and
Joshua James
Apr 30, 2012 Joshua James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Holy hell. I haven't read a book that made me this uncomfortable since American Psycho. Short, sweet, and bloody disturbing. Hats off, Mr Burgess. Hats off.
M. Chandler
Probably a closer look into the mind of madness than I ever actually wanted to have.

WARNING: Do not read while eating.
Jun 10, 2012 Nadine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a deeply unsettling audiobook.

The story is that of a gas station owner who suddenly starts to kill people. I don't want to spoil the story, so I won't say more, except that the author made a great job at imagining how the killer fills (the killer is telling the story). The battle between his two minds, his old and new self, is quite interesting.

Phil's narration is superbly appropriate for this book. He does sound sane, but still you can guess the madness raging in there once in a while
Roxanne Sukhan
This book blew me away. Incredibly graphic and evocative language. A different perspective ~ POV is the killer. WOW, is all I can say about this book.

Full review forthcoming on Books and Blossom.
Nov 11, 2012 Kelly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian
This is a very odd little book. Written from the perspective of a random killer, it's masquerading as a true story but is just fiction, and strange fiction at that. It is disturbing subject matter, interesting from a psychological standpoint and at times, goes off the deep end in a way that may be consistent with the thought patterns of a mental breakdown. I don't quite know what to think of it still.
Amanda Ingley
Sep 06, 2012 Amanda Ingley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really don't know how to feel about this one... I'm not sure I even know what happened....
Nov 14, 2012 Claudia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whenever an horrific crime is committed, it seems the first question we ask is, "What was he thinking?" Tony Burgess answers that question in detail from the killer's point of view. Of course, we are aware that he isn't channeling the killer, nor do I believe that Mr. Burgess is a psychopath, but the story rings as true. We are only left to decide whether Bob Clark is insane or super-vigilant and just trying to make sense of all the stimulation coming his way. He seems so normal until... Bob "us ...more
Geoff Gander
Jul 07, 2014 Geoff Gander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in a single day - which is quite rare for me.

Burgess take the reader squarely into the head of the psychotic protagonist, and the novel itself reads almost like a stream-of-consciousness rant. The perspective shifts with the character's mental state - at times almost incoherent, and other times deceptively rational and aware that he
*should* feel certain emotions (even when he is killing people), but does not.

This novel has far less gore than similar works I have read - somethin
Nov 14, 2014 Karl marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chizine_own
This is number 3 of 42 signed numbered copies.
Erin Dillman
I may have enjoyed this better if I read it in one sitting instead of three.
A story told in the perspective of a murderous psycho path,is not something you get often.
It was still really great, but it may have got a better rating again, if I had read it in one sitting.

The thoughts in this man's mind, are just totally barbaric and unusual.
M.C. O'Neill
Feb 26, 2016 M.C. O'Neill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Everyone needs that special time to find themselves. Even serial killers. Bob Clark is summoned to his vision quest to defeat a crippling social anxiety that not even the isolated "community" of Cashtown Corners could provide.

Expect a maelstrom of confusion, disorientation and a plaintive journey to become whole... through killing. Touching understatements of murder to vomitous gore fills the pages. It's quite fantastic.

Canadian literature is dear to me as my press has published Great White Nor
David Keaton
Jul 22, 2015 David Keaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, that was nuts! Told from a first-person perspective, a gas-pump attendant tries his hand at murder and home invasion over an unhinged but contemplative couple of days. The third act in particular is great, where an unreliable narrator infects some townspeople with that very same affliction and things take a weirdly sympathetic turn. A fascinating sometimes frustrating book that's deep in this dude's brain, riddled with curious 9/11 obsessions, and (bonus!) featuring a very clever extra add ...more
Wow, can you say, 'not what I was expecting?' Not that you ever really know what to expect with a Chi-zine publication. This Canadian based publisher is till one of my favorites and I love everything I've read of theirs, but I have to admit this with was on the lower end of their normally excellent bell curve.

Although they do not spell it out for you, this book is written from the point of view of a man that just snaps and decides to start killing people. I'm not too into anti-hero serial killer
Aug 24, 2015 Tfitoby rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit
Bloody weird first person narrative of a mentally broken spree killer that doesn't try to explain, excuse or justify itself in any way.

It's disturbing and far more interesting than similar more popular titles such as the one by Bret Easton Ellis that Australian bookshops are still required to sell s
Feb 16, 2016 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creepy, trigger
I highlighted so many parts of this kindle book in all different colors so it looks like a delightful circus of madness.

This is because when I was 13, I read "girl interrupted" and was convinced I had borderline personality disorder because I related so well to the specifics (spoiler alert: I do not have bpd. I do have ocd and anxiety disorder, among other things...)

And so, when once again while reading this, I became uncomfortable at the connections I was making with the main character, I deci
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Sarah Court
  • Horror Story and Other Horror Stories
  • In the Mean Time
  • A Rope of Thorns (Hexslinger, #2)
  • Monstrous Affections
  • Enter, Night
  • The Summer is Ended and We Are Not Yet Saved
  • Westlake Soul
  • The Thief of Broken Toys
Tony Burgess lives in Stayner, Ontario, with his wife Rachel and their two children. He is the author of The Hellmouths of Bewdley, Pontypool Changes Everything, Caesarea, Fiction for Lovers and Idaho Winter . Pontypool was made into a film by Bruce McDonald
More about Tony Burgess...

“And now, no matter what I thought I had done or why I did it, it has become completely untrue because of what I have done since.” 7 likes