Start by marking “People Live Still in Cashtown Corners” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
People Live Still in C...

Tony Burgess

People Live Still in Cashtown Corners

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  35 reviews
"It is what it is. That's her car out there and, well, that's her right there."

Jeremy looks at the woman again. There's a few flies dipping in and out of the back of her skull.

"What happened to her?"

I feel a little uncomfortable. I wasn't really planning to lay it all out like this.

"Well, I hate to say this but I killed her."

Jeremy nods slowly. He's starting to take this i
Published April 17th 2012 by ChiZine (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about People Live Still in Cashtown Corners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People Live Still in Cashtown Corners

karen
so i love this book, but writing the review for it is pissing me off a little bit. as a procrastination tactic, because i really didn't feel like burrowing back into my paper just yet, i thought, "i shall write a very informed review for once; one which edifies its readers and is full of facts and figures and well-constructed sentences and no cursewords or animal pictures."

seriously, that isn't going to fucking happen.

because i may be being fooled. i don't keep up on true crime stories from can
Melki
"Well, ma'am, looks like the problem is people. They just make us nervous and then we kill them. And then we feel better until someone makes us nervous again. And well, ma'am, that's the way it lays."

It's true, Bob Clark DOES NOT have a way with people. He doesn't like talking to them and he damn sure doesn't like seeing them.

I don't like faces on people in town so I scribble over them. I don't actually recall what Feck looks like in the face. Just swirls and loops out of a ballpoint. Round and
Greg
One of the things I like to while I sit in my booth is pretend it's September 11. How awesome is that? Anyone can do it and it's like you have the greatest time for free. Your imagination can do whatever it wants to, of course, that's how we get things like sex with alligators and people who make baby bridges across rivers of lava. But every once in a while the imagination gets to step over its borders and be something. That happened on September 11.

Karen wrote a good review for this book and i
Joshua James
Holy hell. I haven't read a book that made me this uncomfortable since American Psycho. Short, sweet, and bloody disturbing. Hats off, Mr Burgess. Hats off.
Ruby  Tombstone [With A Vengeance]
I love that Burgess can show you the inside of a broken brain in a believable, instinctively understandable way. Of course this meant I spent half the book wondering if the act of understanding the book equated with being a sociopath myself. So that was.... creepy.

But while Cashtown has the intelligence of Pontypool and Idaho Winter, for me it just doesn't have the beauty or the heart. I raced through this book in a day without highlighting anything, re-reading anything or gasping out loud. Mayb
Michael Poeltl
Told in a chilling first person POV, this book grabs you right away and puts you in the head of a man whose mind has snapped.

His actions thereafter left an indelible mark on my mind. The random cruelty and unconscionable acts so easily performed on citizens of his small town, people he knew and those just passing through gives us pause to understand why this is happening.

Told in graphic detail from one evil act to another, our POV character questions his own actions even while carrying out each
William Freedman
I hadn't been aware of Tony Burgess until about three months ago. I was flipping through channels and found -- on IFC I think, but maybe it was FearNet -- a zombie movie I'd never seen or heard of before, and it was only 10 minutes in. It had the unlikely title, "Pontypool," which suggested correctly that it was a low-budget indy -- one set, enough awkwardly paced dialogue to suggest that second takes were a rare luxury -- but didn't imply anything to do with zombies. A zombie movie without the ...more
Robert Boyczuk
Disturbing, but in the right kind of ways. Wonderful, evocative language that is inventive (without drawing too much attention to itself) while effortlessly carrying forward the narrative. Made me believe I was in the mind of a mass murderer.
Geoff Gander
I read this book in a single day - which is quite rare for me.

Burgess take the reader squarely into the head of the psychotic protagonist, and the novel itself reads almost like a stream-of-consciousness rant. The perspective shifts with the character's mental state - at times almost incoherent, and other times deceptively rational and aware that he
*should* feel certain emotions (even when he is killing people), but does not.

This novel has far less gore than similar works I have read - somethin
M. Chandler
Probably a closer look into the mind of madness than I ever actually wanted to have.

WARNING: Do not read while eating.
Karl
Nov 14, 2014 Karl marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chizine_own
This is number 3 of 42 signed numbered copies.
Andrew
“I sit without taking my eyes off her. The hole in her forehead isn’t closing or healing, but it isn’t festering either. Her eyes are shaded prettily in blue and purple. Bruises that haven’t changed. She pulls her long black hair back behind her shoulders.”

***

Tony Burgess is a very disturbed man.

From the author of Pontypool Changes Everything comes a sparse, economical novella about one gas station attendant’s sudden decision to become a mass murderer. Why would he do this? Boredom. A break from
Selenem
As I was reading, I found myself responding to this book in three and four syllables. Some examples:

WTF?
Oh my gawd.
Guy's nuckin' futs.
eeYUW....(OK, that's two).

You get the idea. When I was younger, I loved me a good serial killer yarn, or more appropriately, Bob Clark, our anti-hero, is a "spree killer." But as I've aged, I find it's hard to root for them; in fact, most of the time, I want to see them get the chair.

We're in Canada, so that won't happen. In fact, it's unclear what does happen t
SFReader
Wow, can you say, 'not what I was expecting?' Not that you ever really know what to expect with a Chi-zine publication. This Canadian based publisher is till one of my favorites and I love everything I've read of theirs, but I have to admit this with was on the lower end of their normally excellent bell curve.

Although they do not spell it out for you, this book is written from the point of view of a man that just snaps and decides to start killing people. I'm not too into anti-hero serial killer
Phil Chenevert
Wow. I just recorded this book for Iambik and it was compelling, startling, repulsive and unveiling all at the same time. Written from the internal dialog of a serial killer you can imagine ... well perhaps you can't imagine what goes on inside the brains (yes, two of them) of a deranged murderer.

Short book but well written.
David Keaton
Well, that was nuts! Told from a first-person perspective, a gas-pump attendant tries his hand at murder and home invasion over an unhinged but contemplative couple of days. The third act in particular is great, where an unreliable narrator infects some townspeople with that very same affliction and things take a weirdly sympathetic turn. A fascinating sometimes frustrating book that's deep in this dude's brain, riddled with curious 9/11 obsessions, and (bonus!) featuring a very clever extra add ...more
Greg Gillis
I really liked this book it starts out with an amazing story there are a couple of times that I got a little lost as to what was going on but it did all come together at the end. I really enjoy reading something that is new and refreshing horror at least to me this was.
Wahiaronkwas David
What a hell of a read. This story moves like a boat on extremely choppy waters, and I never saw what was coming. One starts to hope, and then suddenly every thing falls out from under the reader's feet. Scary ride through a disturbed mind.

Five scribbled heads out of five.
Roxanne Sukhan
This book blew me away. Incredibly graphic and evocative language. A different perspective ~ POV is the killer. WOW, is all I can say about this book.

Full review forthcoming on Books and Blossom.
Jonathan Ball
If you aren’t reading Tony Burgess, you are missing out on one of Canada’s best authors, period, not to mention some of the most gripping, experimental horror in the genre.
Fannishsunny
Amanda Ingley
I really don't know how to feel about this one... I'm not sure I even know what happened....
Amy
Very strange, and horrifically revolting. I like it.
Brandi
I'm conflicted about this book. On one hand, it succeeded completely in horrifying me; but on the other hand, I'm not sure that's the kind of horror I want to experience. I'm fairly desensitized but midway through the book when I could no longer tell if it was fiction I noticed that my breathing had altered and that I was in a state of panic. Well done Mr. Burgess, well done.
Erin Dillman
I may have enjoyed this better if I read it in one sitting instead of three.
A story told in the perspective of a murderous psycho path,is not something you get often.
It was still really great, but it may have got a better rating again, if I had read it in one sitting.

The thoughts in this man's mind, are just totally barbaric and unusual.
Claudia
Whenever an horrific crime is committed, it seems the first question we ask is, "What was he thinking?" Tony Burgess answers that question in detail from the killer's point of view. Of course, we are aware that he isn't channeling the killer, nor do I believe that Mr. Burgess is a psychopath, but the story rings as true. We are only left to decide whether Bob Clark is insane or super-vigilant and just trying to make sense of all the stimulation coming his way. He seems so normal until... Bob "us ...more
Jason Bradshaw
This is a weirdly endearing story about a man who goes on a killing spree in small town for some reason. Or no reason. Or, well, there is of course a reason. Okay, things just sort of got out of hand.

Fantastic book
Nadine
This was a deeply unsettling audiobook.

The story is that of a gas station owner who suddenly starts to kill people. I don't want to spoil the story, so I won't say more, except that the author made a great job at imagining how the killer fills (the killer is telling the story). The battle between his two minds, his old and new self, is quite interesting.

Phil's narration is superbly appropriate for this book. He does sound sane, but still you can guess the madness raging in there once in a while
Raeanne Roy
This story captured me from the start. Early on I didn't know it was based on true events. At times I wondered if Bob had split into multiple personalities.
Teresa
This was a disturbing and quick exploration of insanity.
  • Sarah Court
  • Horror Story and Other Horror Stories
  • In the Mean Time
  • A Rope of Thorns (Hexslinger, #2)
  • Enter, Night
  • Objects of Worship
  • Napier's Bones
  • Westlake Soul
  • Katja from the Punk Band
Tony Burgess lives in Stayner, Ontario, with his wife Rachel and their two children. He is the author of The Hellmouths of Bewdley, Pontypool Changes Everything, Caesarea, Fiction for Lovers and Idaho Winter . Pontypool was made into a film by Bruce McDonald ...more
More about Tony Burgess...
Pontypool Changes Everything Idaho Winter The n-Body Problem The Hellmouths Of Bewdley Ravenna Gets

“And now, no matter what I thought I had done or why I did it, it has become completely untrue because of what I have done since.” 5 likes