Blank-133x176
The Hair Wreath and Ot...

Halli Villegas
read ebook* *Different edition

The Hair Wreath and Other Stories

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Girls and boys disappear; couples caught in the heat and suppressed rage of urban life are haunted by the ghosts of their own making; neighbourhoods drift in the murky atmosphere of buried emotions, where the echoes of distrust and dissonance prove that something just isn't right.

These strange stories gather and weave themselves together into a wreath of memories, rife wit...more
Published May 1st 2012 by ChiZine (first published September 13th 2010)

Andrew
Suffocation is one of the predominant themes in this collection of ghost stories, a first for Tightrope Books publisher Villegas—be it the constriction one feels in a home meant for another or a literal strand of hair that was wound its way through an unfaithful man’s teeth, fastening itself to his heart.

The ghosts in these nineteen tales are not altogether malevolent, but neither are they disinterested observers. In each case, whether they are the focus or merely the vehicle by which another’s...more
Karissa
I got an eGalley of thsi book through Netgalley(dot)com. It was a great read. The stories are full of beautiful descriptions and haunting events.

This is a collection of short stories. They range from rather incomplete very short glimpses into people's lives to nearly novella length complete stories. The best way to describe the collection is beautiful and haunting. Most of the stories feature either ghosts, or magical realism of some sort. Some of the stories don't necessarily involve magic but...more
Isidore
Elegant, delicate, atmospheric tales which edge into the weird, sometimes overtly, sometimes elusively. "Salvage", which closes the collection, is particularly imaginative and haunting, but none of the stories are without merit. The daring lurch in perspective with which "The Other Side" concludes is handled with remarkable finesse, while "The Beautiful Boy", a relatively orthodox weird tale, conveys both fear and pathos. Many of the stories are built around dysfunctional relationships, and some...more
Ben
Picked this book up because it was on sale at Borders. A couple of the stories are a little boring, but once you get the purpose and style of her writing this is a very enjoyable collection! Some really creepy stories, and very well-done. She leaves things out so artistically it's crazy; this novel leaves you wondering and wanting more.
Caitmarie24
I was deeply impressed with the stories in this collection. She is an excellent writer, fusing our world with a very well-written literary style, something extremely rare in modern horror. Each story leaves you deeply unsettled without being gory or even typical. Highly recommend it to fans of literature.
Melanti
It's not a bad collection by any means, but I think I'd read so many poor and mediocre books in a row just before this one that I was craving something that would blow me away. This didn't, and I think I may have judged it a bit too harshly for that reason.
Myna
A fabulous, intoxicating read. Can't recommend it highly enough, especially for those who like an otherworldly take on this world. Grounded in reality, these short stories move into other realms with ease and assuredness.
Scott
A fine collection of magical realism blended with subtle, sometimes ambiguous horror.
Daniella
I was expecting a lot from this book, and maybe that's why it fell so short. While I did enjoy three of the stories, I found that the entire collection relied a lot on a nonsensical dark element thrown in. Expecting your reader to fill in the blanks because you can't be bothered to make proper connections is not something I enjoy. I would have liked this more had the author committed to the supernatural elements she was using, rather than just hinting at them.
Sydney More
A majority of these stories left me thinking I'd missed something, but there were a few real gems. My favourites were 'The Other Side', 'In the Grass', 'Beautiful Boy', 'While He Sleeps', and 'Winter'. I think the strongest in the collection was 'The Unexpected Thing'; it had solid character development and a great twist. I like Villegas' writing style, and I'd pick up a collection of her shorts again.
Scott Williams
This is an excellent collection. Each story left me wanting more but each was still satisfying as is. I look forward to reading more of Villegas' work.
Janet
A collection of short stories that left me wanting more. Some ranged from feeling incomplete to full length novellas. Haunting and original.
Kimberley
Some of the stories are more redeeming than others.
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Lotte
Lotte marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Melki
Melki marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Rachelccameron
Rachelccameron marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
Jeff Dick
Jeff Dick marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2013
Kieran
Kieran marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Halli Villegas is a author and poet based in Toronto, Ontario. She is also the owner and publisher of the independent press Tightrope Books.
More about Halli Villegas...
Red Promises (Essential Poets Series 105) And Other Infidelities Peach Festival: Short Story Winter: Short Story An Unexpected Thing: Short Story