Blank-133x176
Sarah Court

Craig Davidson

Sarah Court

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Sarah Court. Meet the resident.

The haunted father of a washed-up stuntman. A disgraced surgeon and his son, a broken-down boxer. A father set on permanent self-destruct, and his daughter, a reluctant powerlifter. A fireworks-maker and his daughter. A very peculiar boy and his equally peculiar adopted family.

Five houses. Five families. One block.

Ask yourself: How well do yo...more
Published May 1st 2012 by ChiZine (first published September 13th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Sarah Court, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sarah Court

karen
ohhhhhhhhhhhhh

it has been such a long time since i have finished a book and wanted to immediately start all over from the beginning again.

this is a book that does that thing i love so much but would have trouble articulating were i to approach a readers' advisory practitioner for a stylistic readalike. so i have to advise myself, usually, but i will try to describe "that thing" so everyone can see what it is like in karen's head:

this book is like ribbon candy. not that it is sweet nor that it sh...more
Andrew
“Truth is, the humans whose company I enjoy most are those most like animals. I spent time in a brain injury ward. One boy suffered massive cerebral hemorrhages due to his mother’s narrow birth chute. The most beautiful, open smile. He experienced more moments of joy in one day than I’ll claim to in a lifetime. Most of us would be better off having our heads held under water a couple minutes. Ever see an unhappy dog, Nicholas?”

***

Life for the denizens of Sarah Court is a bit less than usual. Apa...more
Corey
Through every tale, there are hints of unnamable corruption, usually in the guise of animals or elements of the corporeal body, reminding me of nothing so much as filmmaker David Lynch and his genius at creating unclassifiable dread. Red spider mites teem in a deer’s eyes, “so many as to give the impression it’s weeping blood.” A can of paint has “the hue of diseased organ meat.” Squirrels abound in Sarah Court, somehow playful yet harbingers of some interior evil a la the sinister owls in Lynch...more
Richard Thomas
This review was originally published at The Nervous Breakdown.

Heartbreaking stories grounded in a fractured reality, love and the strange things it makes us do, neighbors and the heavy weight of proximity, this is Sarah Court. A collection of connected, interlinking narratives, Sarah Court (ChiZine Publications) by Craig Davidson is set in a circle of houses, each neighbor with their own story to tell. Reminiscent of Knockemstiff by Donald Ray Pollock, but...more
Peter Darbyshire
If you're a writer or a reader, you're going to want to check this out. One of the best reads of the year so far for me.
Gef
Sometimes, you may find yourself wondering about the secret lives of your neighbors. If you live on Sarah Court, those secrets are better left unsaid. Curiosity killed the cat--or squirrel--after all. For readers, safe and sound in our easy chairs, we can look on with a prurient disgust at the decaying lives of Sarah Court's residents. It's not a cheerful exploration. There are moments of dark humor, but overall this is a very bleak glimpse at a fictionalized segment of St. Catherine's, Ontario....more
William Freedman
Imagine Thornton Wilder and Edgar Lee Masters had a child. Now imagine they were really, really bad parents. That would explain Craig Davidson and his life-where-I-come-from horror opus, Sarah Court.

It's the interlocking stories of three generations of five disfunctional families living along a dead-end street of a working-class suburb. They come in and out of each others' lives, doing each other known and unknown harm. They are petty, vindictive, self-aggrandizing and hell-bent for bad ends. An...more
C.C. Thomas
Take a look around your subdivision, or neighborhood, or black. Peel back the roof and look inside the lives of five random families. Not the outside personas, the faces put on for the public; but, the real heartbreak and grit of churning out a life. We all like to think we are unique and independent but do we really know how much we rely on those around us, in healthy or unhealthy ways? Are our secrets really a secret from those who know exactly when we take our trash out and our papers in?
This...more
Vikki Morsley
The story Sarah Court are based through five families who all live within the Sarah House block in a neighbourhood near Niagara Falls. Davidson has used each of the five families residing in Sarah Court to create five short stories which are interlocked to create a larger outlook on the lives and events at Sarah Court.

Davidson's development of the characters within this book have been fantastic. From the start of the book you are thrown into the lives of the families residing in this neighbourh...more
Derek Newman-Stille
Lives intersect in weird and complex ways. The notion of community itself is an interweaving of disparate yet intertwined stories, pulled together by dark threads… because there is something dark about suburban communities. They are built of bricks and blood mortared together by darkness and Craig Davidson’s Sarah Court removes those bricks one by one to reveal the way that communities are built of secrets and suburban streets are tarred with shadow.

Sarah Court follows the lives of a group of ne...more
Matt Moore
Not quite a novel, not quite a short story collection, give almost-complete tales from an unnamed town and the residents of the development Sarah Court. But the five stories and book-ended intro & outro add up to a complete story of longing, regret, loss, anger and (self)violence. While not an uplifting lift, it is far from depressing because these character endure, carry on and do the best they can. Though there are no happy ending here, neither are there in life.
Josh
I thought this was slow in sections, but by the end of the novel all the intertwining stories are resolved nicely.

One thing that stood out to me was the vivid, potent prose. I really enjoyed it. Craig Davidson has a powerful and unique voice that is easy to immerse yourself in. He writes with such authority and has such a large vocabulary you might find yourself making a few trips to dictionary.com.

I enjoyed this.

Carl Klein
astonishingly good - cleverly executed and looking forward to reading more of Craig's books!!
Andrew
Somewhere in southern Ontario, the lives of five families (revolving around the events of an abandoned baby, a barrel stunt over Niagara Falls, a bullied school boy, a gambling bet gone wrong, and a mysterious box) collide and coalesce in extraordinary and tragic fashion.

Sarah Court is put together more like a collection of short stories rather than a novel; individual chapters read as if they are separate tales, each possessing a unique point of view that are so detailed that they could form t...more
Emily Sours
this book was recommended in a thread about "the scariest books you've ever read" (also a contest to win an autographed book by joe hill). most of the posts were stephen king books, but a few were books like sarah court that i'd never heard of. chalk this book up on the NOT SCARY AT ALL (but vaguely disturbing) book list. i have no idea why anyone would find this book scary. it has its point were it tries to be disturbing, in a chuck palahniuk kind of way, but the scare is just not there. if you...more
Raeanne Roy
I found it interesting overall. The author describes things in unique ways that make me think. I did find it a like hard to get into because of the style. I'm both happy to know the outcome of the many stories and feel like not having an epilogue could have been good too as it would leave me wondering how things turned out and I could imagine my own endings for each. Abby's injury is what drew me in and I had to know what happened to her. I enjoyed the squirrel rants at the beginning too.
Ainsley
I picked this up remaindered because I had just heard good reviews of the film of Davidson's book Rust and Bone, and because, according to the author bio in this one, Davidson was living in the same small city where I currently live. These were not good reasons to buy a book.
Pariah325
Pretty good. I really like his writing style, but there was some strangeness at the end of this one. If you enjoyed The Fighter and Rust and Bone, read this one. If you haven't, read those first. If you enjoy his style, move into this one...

Cath
Waaaaaaasn't crazy about it. I think it's just how Davidson went about the subject and his writting... I'm very difficult when it comes to author's writting style. The story is still good, I just didn,t really appreciate reading it.
Justine
I really wanted to like this book. I didn't like that the writing style changed in every chapter. Maybe I just don't "get" the writing style, but this book was difficult to follow. The story was okay, not great.
Melody
Weird, difficult to follow. Each person person's story is reflected in the next from another perspective. It was an alright story but glad I am done.
Ann Douglas
Intriguing and disturbing. Well-written and intricately woven so that all of the subplots come together beautifully in the end.
Scott Williams
This has some good character work but there's not much of a story.
Sarah Sammis
Oct 21, 2011 Sarah Sammis marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist, priority
wishlist
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Annie Kneemp
Annie Kneemp marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
  • The Inner City
  • The Summer is Ended and We Are Not Yet Saved
  • Dead North: Canadian Zombie Fiction
  • Isles of the Forsaken
  • The Taint and Other Novellas (Cthulhu Collection)
  • A Pretty Mouth
Craig Davidson is a Canadian author of short stories and novels, who has published work under both his own name and the pen name Patrick Lestewka. His style has been compared to that of Chuck Palahniuk.

Born in Toronto, Ontario, he was raised in Calgary and St. Catharines.

His first short story collection, Rust and Bone, was later published in September 2005 by Penguin Books Canada, and was a finali...more
More about Craig Davidson...
Cataract City Rust and Bone: Stories The Fighter Picador Shots   A Mean Utility (Picador Shots) Eleanor Rigby

“Love is a sickness. Some kind of a pathogen existing above all explanation.” 8 likes