Start by marking “Chasing the Dragon” as Want to Read:

Nicholas Kaufmann
read ebook* *Different edition

Chasing the Dragon

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  129 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Centuries ago, St. George fought and killed a dragon—or so the legend goes.

The truth is somewhat different.

George failed in his mission, and the Dragon still walks the Earth, protected by an undead army, hiding in the shadows and slaughtering men, women, and children for its prey. Each of George's descendants through time has been tasked with killing the Dragon, and each h
Published April 17th 2012 by ChiZine (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing the Dragon

Stephen
Not being sure what the acceptable macho equivalent is, please pardon me while I unleash a high-pitched squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee and before I proceed to heap praise on this outstanding, very impressive novella by Nicholas Kaufmann. 5 big, enthusiastic and gush-filled stars.

Here are the details (aka the deets according to my daughters):

1. A modern retelling, reimagining continuation and expansion of the legend of St. George and the Dragon, complete with a secret history exposing that events did not t
Nikki
I read a couple of friends' reviews of this, and downloaded a sample chapter, and it just sort of got under my skin -- the whole idea of it. It does something pretty original with the mythology it uses, with dragons and with zombies -- something I've certainly never seen before, anyway. It's a novella, but it got me as involved as if it were a full-length novel: I held my breath for much of the last two chapters.

It's full of guts 'n' gore, so descriptions of that kind of thing gross you out, the
Eric
Dec 22, 2011 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of mythology, urban fantasy
Recommended to Eric by: Stephen
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Due to this book's length, it is hard to properly review it without revealing any spoilers. It's either a novelette or a novella (it's hard to tell which, as I can't hold my Kindle copy sideways and analyze the thickness properly), but I don't say this as a detraction, rather as an accolade. After reading so many fantasy authors who are wordy and/or endlessly serialize their books, reading a stand-alone work of this length with so much depth and detail is an incredible breath of fresh air. Also, ...more
Daniel
"Chasing the Dragon" is a fabulous and fantastic novella. Nicholas Kaufmann brings dragons and the modern world together with superb plotting and surprising brevity, answering all of the questions that arise from his premise--such as: how does a dragon rampage across modern America and escape notice? What connects the slayer to the dragon? How can the slayer hope to fulfill her quest? He conflates the traditional phrase "chasing the dragon" with modern metaphor, and steers this linguistic feat p ...more
Mike
Chasing the Dragon is yet another fine bit of fiction released by the folks at Chizine Publications. This short novella features a modern twist on the heroic legend of St. George and the Dragon. The title character of Chasing the Dragon is Georgia Quincy, the latest and potentially last, in a long line of ancient dragon slayers stretching as far back as the Summerian Marduk (slayer of Tiamat) and including other such luminaries as Sigfried (slayer of Fafnir) and Thor (slayer of Jörmungandr), amo ...more
Nesa Sivagnanam
Centuries ago, St. George fought and killed a dragon -- or so the legend goes. The truth is somewhat different. George failed in his mission, and the Dragon still walks the Earth, protected by an undead army, hiding in the shadows and slaughtering men, women and children for its prey.

Each of George's descendants through time has been tasked with killing the Dragon, and each has failed and been killed instead. Twenty-five year-old Georgia Quincey is the last of the line -- the last, best hope for
MB Taylor
Finished reading Chasing the Dragon (2009) by Nicholas Kaufmann a couple of nights ago. It’s a novella packaged up as a short novel & it’s a pretty decent read. It’s the story of the current, of a long line, of George’s who fight Dragons. It seems a thousand years ago St. George didn’t really kill the dragon & it’s been wreaking havoc ever since.

Georgia, the current George and the first female dragonslayer, has some serious problems. Not only is the dragon destroying road side diners and
David
This was a high-octane thriller well worth the quick read. A kick-ass heroine in the urban fantasy mold is the Chosen One destined to hunt dragons, or more precisely, one dragon, as she is the latest in a long line of dragonslayers. But our heroine has a few problems. PTSD. Heroin addiction. Homelessness. Basically, she's a mess.

This novella works fine at the length it is at; a full-length novel would have dragged on too long (though I was a little disappointed at the full-length-novel price for
William M.
4 AND 1/2 STARS

This book was truly a pleasant surprise. I've read Kaufmann's "General Slocum's Gold", but "Chasing The Dragon" is even better. Author Nicholas Kaufmann melds various themes and genres together into a seamless and very suspenseful action/horror tale set in an urban landscape. Kaufmann strategically drops clues - little crumbs -- along the way, feeding the reader's hunger like the drug addicted heroine. And like all great storytellers, Kaufmann weaves those pieces of the puzzle in
Laura Rainbow Dragon
Georgia Quincey is the last of her line, a direct descendent of the medieval St. George who, according to Chasing the Dragon's author Nicholas Kaufmann, failed in his mission to slay the Dragon. As a result, the mantle of dragonslayer was passed onto George's son, and his son after him, all the way down the line. When Georgia's father too is slain by the Dragon, it falls to Georgia to take up her father's gun and go after the Dragon herself.

But defeating the Dragon is no easy task. The Dragon i
Lynda
Normally I groan at the trend to characterize books as "a cross between X and Y" but Chasing the Dragon is dragging this comparison out of me: a cross between Supernatural and the metaphorical drug-addict journey. With a dash of the Walking Dead. I liked the take on zombies as the "meat puppets" of the Dragon. And the mythology. The interesting take on addiction works for me as metaphor. Pleased by the conclusion, especially how a very ordinary and unassuming minor character becomes important be ...more
Benjamin Ethridge
Interesting take on a medieval tale that manages to include zombies, heroin and a dragon, which comes in many wicked forms. Not to put down the story or concept, because I really liked both, but Kaufmann seems too good of a writer for this action-driven material. I like the fantasy and action he incorporates in his work (General Slocum's Gold), although it would be interesting to see his handling of deeper emotional complications in the story, something he only touches here. It is a shorter writ ...more
Nick Cato
Hot on the heels of the creature that killed her parents, Georgia Quincey battles incredible odds to fulfill her destiny: her ancestors go back to St. George himself, he of the legendary dragon-slay myth (well, apparent reality). She becomes the first female to go after this ancient dragon in its evolved form (also forced to face gang bangers, zombies, and creepy motel managers) while dealing with her addiction to heroin. For such a quick read, DRAGON is quite layered.

Kaufman's short & sweet
Andrea Blythe
The legend goes that Saint George fought and killed the dragon, but the legend is wrong. Saint George failed and the dragon still walks the earth, feeding and killing and raising the dead for her own personal army. The charge of battling the dragon has passed down through the family line all the way to Georgia, who is torn up by her own internal demons, dealing with her addiction to heroine. While she hunts the dragon, the dragon also hunts her.

This is a good old fashioned horror story, the kind
Karl
The book deserves to be much longer than it is. The writing is quite good and the book contains gangs, exploding cars, shotguns, the undead, dragons, drug addicts and more.

This is copy 3 of 65 signed numbered copies.
Bill
An okay novella, but this kind of thing really isn't my bag. It has great action and an interesting concept, but it came up short as far as investing me emotionally, and having that can't-wait-to-pick-it-up-again quality.
I'm just not that big on action first when it comes to reading.

But that's okay, this novella will appeal to a lot of people who would
enjoy this action filled story. And it has a pretty good ending as well.
So a strong three stars for integrating generations of dragonslayers and
a
Robert Davies
Chasing the Dragon is a compact, clever story about a strong female protagonist chasing the titular dragon (in more ways than one). Woven through the present day story of meat puppets, blood, violence, heroin, and lovable gangstas, there is an engaging history of the dragon hunter’s strange family, and a further mythological layer reaching back to the very foundation of the world. Everything comes together in a blockbuster, if sudden, ending that was brilliantly executed. I highly recommend this ...more
doungjai
This was a fun, fast paced quick read. Georgia Quincey is the last of her bloodline who can slay the dragon that has wandered the Earth for centuries, leaving destruction in its wake. Georgia's quest to chase the dragon (which has dual meaning here) brings her to New Mexico for the final showdown.

I've been a fan of Kaufmann since I read his short story collection WALK IN SHADOWS, and he certainly didn't let me down here.

Highly recommended.
Bracken
Tight and lean, this book is a good quick read. Because I was so invested in the main character, Georgia, I would have liked to have seen a couple of the themes involving her expanded upon (the dual meaning of the title and how dragon-chasing impacts Georgia, for example), it works wonderfully as a novella. There's no filler or bogging down in ponderous garden paths here. This book is as direct and fast as a crash-test.

For fans of horror-action.
Porovaara Fisher
This was a random pickup off the library shelf, mostly because of the title and how out of place it looked next to all those hardcover books. Small; it promised to be a quick read, with the comments on the back furthering this belief. While this book was billed as Horror, it seemed more of an adventure to me, with some pretty graphic violence. Perhaps this is because of my own personal saturation with zombies and the works of Barker. This was pretty tame stuff in comparison.

The title is a clever
Maureen
This is a good book fora rainy morning. Clocking in at only 133 pages, it’s a book that you can read in a single sitting, but is no less enjoyable for its brevity.
Reading this story, you can feel the questions that spawned it - what if the true story if St. George wasn’t the one we’ve all heard before? What if it wasn’t the dragon’s blood that was poisonous?
Kaufman weaves a tale that is equal parts mythology and modernity, told through the eyes of a damaged but sympathetic heroine. She is cont
Daniella
Beginning with disturbing gore, and continuing with disturbing gore, I was surprised I liked this so much. Georgia's journey tracking the dragon is short and intense, and damn did I enjoy it. The surprise ending didn't come as much of a surprise, but that didn't mar my enjoyment of the book. Seeing through the eyes of an addict was interesting, and even more so because of her circumstances. I liked the well-placed flashbacks, they added very well to the story, and weren't at all distracting. I a ...more
William Freedman
Taut, well-told horror.

In this update of the legend of St. George and the Dragon, Nicholas Kaufmann combines two elements that are usually mutually exclusive: breathless pacing and vivid word pictures. Throw in zombies, dispatch them artfully in single combat and through conflagration, and what's not to love?

I bought into the story completely, enough to let pass the parade of flat characters and a denoument you could see coming from Chapter 2. So it's a four-star book, not a five-star book.

I ful
Mrs. Ho Jr.
There was definitely action from the get go. With only 133 pages the author needs to hook the reader right off the bat. only four stars though just because I didn't quite get the lore behind their family. So what took Georgia's generation so long to kill the dragon? Just multiple failed attempts that left them with dead ancestors and a dragon to roam around and regain her memory? Even though the dragon is killed in each generation it is reborn again? Viscous cycle and hazardous occupation.
Brent
The second book I've finished by this author, and it--too--was an excellent read. The hero of the story was an antihero that, for nostalgic reasons, reminded me of Stephen King's earliest (and best) work. This may not be a novel-length story, but that doesn't mean that the story skimps out. It felt like it was exactly as long as it needed to be.
Andrew Little
One of the best books I've ever read. It is a very short book, which doesn't allow for a good review because it would contain a lot of spoilers. One thing I can say is that there is such a clear relationship between the dragon that Georgia is chasing (and is chasing her) and the drug she is pursuing (and seemingly pursues her). Such a good book.
Claudia
Okay, so I started it and finished it in one long sitting. I usually am in bed by 9:30 but I honestly couldn't put it down. This is magick the way I like it, mean and bloody and righteous.
Tone
An interesting spin on the dragonslayer trope with a refreshingly flawed protagonist.
harlequin {Stephanie}
First read: 2013
second read: may 16, 2014
third read: JANUARY 23, 2015
Bob
The cliche "impossible to put down"? Here ya go.....
  • The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 3
  • Over The Wall
  • Every Shallow Cut
  • Wild Fell
  • Westlake Soul
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • Miss Don't Touch Me: Vol. 1
  • Isles of the Forsaken
  • Fight Like a Girl: A Short Story Anthology
  • Spera Volume 1
  • Shoebox Train Wreck
  • In the Mean Time
Nicholas Kaufmann is the Bram Stoker Award-, Thriller Award-, and Shirley Jackson Award-nominated author of numerous books and stories. He has also written extensively in non-fiction, including monthly pop culture columns on horror and dark fantasy for the popular websites Fear Zone and The Internet Review of Science Fiction, and a chapter on plotting short stories in the Writers Digest book ON WR ...more
More about Nicholas Kaufmann...
Dying Is My Business Die and Stay Dead (Trent, #2) Jack Haringa Must Die! General Slocum's Gold Still Life: Nine Stories