Objects of Worship
read ebook* *Different edition

Objects of Worship

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Twelve strange, eerie, sensual stories by a bold new voice in weird fiction. Capricious gods rule a world of women. Zombies breed human cattle. The son of a superhero must decide between his heritage and his religion. Young lovers worship a primordial spider god. The apocalyptic rebirth of the god of the elephants. Monstrous chimeras roam through a devastated future Earth....more
Published May 1st 2012 by ChiZine (first published 2009)

MB Taylor
Finished Objects of Worship (2009) by Claude Lalumière the other day on the way to work. Objects of Worship is a collection of 12 short stories. Describing them as strange would be an understatement. This collection abounds with zombies, superheroes and gods.

About the only other contemporary writer I read much of whose short fiction is this strange, is John Shirley. But other than pure strangeness the two writers’ works have little in common. Shirley’s stories frequently edge into the horrific a...more
Mike Vasich
Mr LaLumiere is an author worth checking out. His short story collection here is visionary, creative, and original. And often times disturbing, as well.

Here are my impressions on a few of the stories:

Objects of Desire
Very disturbing and weird. Thrusts the reader into a bizarre world where creepy little household 'gods' are worshipped, and they occasionally decide to knock up their exclusively female worshippers. It was icky, but compelling.

The Ethical Treatment of Meat
A zombie story from the po...more
Kari Castor
I picked this book up for cheap when a nearby Borders shut down, and well, I have to say that I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it.

I love short stories, particularly as a vehicle for weird or speculative fiction. Lalumière's book looked promising, full of superheroes and zombies and old gods. Unfortunately, while Lalumière does play with some interesting ideas here and there, too many of these stories function as little more than half-baked mashups retreading worlds, characters, and concepts...more
Liviu
A story by story discussion with the first lines (in two cases the first "relevant" lines) included; superb collection

The Object of Worship
The god settles on the table. Rose tears a piece from her toast, slathers a heap of cream cheese on the ear-sized morsel, and lays it next to the god. It consumes the tribute.

The first story and the one that names the collection starts the novel with a bang introducing a world in which gods are "real", physical and everywhere, demand worship while giving life...more
Nicky Dierx
I picked up this book at Polaris, and have to say I was pleasantly surprised by some of the stories in this book. I particularly enjoyed his take on zombies facing off against a Lovecraftian horror.
That having been said I was saddened by how distinctly underwhelmed I felt upon finishing it.
I can't help but wonder if perhaps something was lost in translation from Lalumiere's native french?

I can only describe the book as a whole thus:

It feels like watching an entire season of "The Outer Limits",...more
Shelly
An ecclectic mix of short stories that all focus around things that people worship/adore etc.

I have to admit that my absolute two favorite stories in this collection were both the zombie stories; The Ethical Treatment of Meat and A Trip to the Optomitrist. I actually ended up reading the first one out loud to my other half and had a fantastic giggle over it (though in retrospec I'm not sure that was the author's aim).

This was the first I'd ever heard/read anything by Claude Lalumière, but I rea...more
Amy
This is another book for which I wish there were half-star ratings; it really stands in the 3.5 category for me. However, as the ratings system stands, the quality of the prose certainly earns more than a 3-star rating. The stories are very literary, which for me makes wonderful but not always entertaining reading, if I dare make that distinction.

When you want something really different, I'd recommend Objects of Worship.
Kate O'Hanlon
Knowing fuck all about golden age comics a lot of this probably sailed over my head, in fact it's only the introduction and story notes (story notes!) that clued me in to the fact that so many of these stories are homages to Ditko, Kirby, et. al.

Still I enjoyed this collection of sometimes weird, sometimes scary, sometimes erotic, stories immensely.
K.V. Taylor
Lalumière's characters, their lives, their identities are as difficult to pin down and categorize as the stories themselves. I read these at different times over the last few months, and every one was a treat. This is original, beautiful, thoughtful, emotional stuff -- a wonderful addition to any short-fiction-lover's library.
Anna
Usually I'm not a fan of short story collections as I like to become immersed in a work and hate being pulled out of it after a few pages. However, Objects of Worship was a fantastic collection. Each story has a thread that connects it to the next and the themes about gods and worship resonates well.
Michèle
Une voix unique pleine de fantasie, d'imagination et sous les histoires où se mêlent mythes et superhéros, de la compassion!
Meika
Clever and Quirky, my first bizzaro book of short stories that I really enjoyed.
Ihatethatguy
I found this short story collection quite wonderful.

A lot of people have commented on the derivative nature of some of the short stories. I can't comment as I haven't read the original novels that those short stories were inspired by.

Despite being a fan of superheroes and comics I found that the weakest stories in the collection were the ones based on superheroes. This is quite odd considering almost all of the other stories have this sort of Heavy Metal/Metal Hurlant vibe to them, especially wi...more
Isidore
A fine collection of short fantasy/horror fiction, with two particularly outstanding stories: the title yarn, and "The Ethical Treatment of Meat" (the latter is both brilliant and outlandishly ghastly). The range of subject matter, and the originality of ideas and images in these stories is very, very exceptional; even a Dunsany hommage ("The Darkness at the Heart of the World") is fresh and unformulaic. "Destroyer of Worlds" is almost as ingenious, but moves too quickly to sustain such a wealth...more
Daniella
I had high expectations of this short story collection, coming from my favourite publisher of dark fiction. Unfortunately, it was a disappointment.

Many of the stories were interesting ideas, but that's all they were. Glimpses of something that could have been larger or more involved, but wasn't. They all felt unfinished, in a way that left me extremely unsatisfied. Nothing felt very fleshed out.

Because I hadn't read any of the works that the author was responding to with his stories, that aspe...more
Jessica Dumitru
I was intrigued by the cover while looking through indigo.ca's bargain section, read the blurb and really liked the idea. My boyfriend went to get me birthday gifts and this was an early one I got :D

This book is so different. I really loved all the short stories but the zombie ones were my favourite :) I like a lot of the absurd things that happen, that seem almost like they could happen with how he writes them.
Lee Thompson
It's difficult to find books that are both challenging in concept and execution. I was hoping this would cover at at least some of that territory but in general the stories are neither exceptionally original nor particularly well-written. Not a bad collection, mind you, but a strong reminder (for me) of why I read so little genre fiction now. Two and half stars, If I had the option.
Janet
Loved this! Great collection of short stories that I highly recommend - loved the twist on the traditional zombie tale. I will never think of zombies the same again!
Weird :)

My favorites were the zombie stories (The Ethical Treatment of Meat & A Visit to the Optometrist), which were hysterically funny.
Lynne Wright
These short stories are peculiar -- in a good way. Modern monster stories with a certain old-schooley charm to them.
Kaiwyn
neat short stories- lots of variety that kept me engaged and entertained.
Shauna
Personally I didn't find these stories overly appealing or original.
Scott Williams
In the tradition of Clive Barker...but funny.
Dedale
too weird for me I guess
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Macsbrains
Macsbrains is currently reading it
Apr 15, 2014
Fenia
Fenia marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Ellie Red
Ellie Red marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
1965926
Claude Lalumière is the author of the story collections Objects of Worship and Nocturnes and Other Nocturnes and of the mosaic novella The Door to Lost Pages . He is the editor or co-editor of twelve anthologies, including the Aurora Award finalist Tesseracts Twelve: New Novellas of Canadian Fantastic Fiction . Claude has published hundreds of articles and reviews, and in the 1990s Clau...more
More about Claude Lalumière...
The Door to Lost Pages Masked Mosaic: Canadian Super Stories Super Stories of Heroes & Villains Witpunk Tesseracts Twelve: New Novellas of Canadian Fantastic Fiction