Blank-133x176

Lavie Tidhar
read ebook* *Different edition

The Tel Aviv Dossier

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  42 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The wind picks up even more, pushing me, as if it's trying to jerk the camera away from my hands. I spin around and the camera pans across the old bus terminal and someone screams...

Into the city of Tel Aviv the whirlwinds come, and nothing will ever be the same.

Through a city torn apart by a violence they cannot comprehend, three disparate people, a documentary film-maker...more
Published May 1st 2012 by ChiZine (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Tel Aviv Dossier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tel Aviv Dossier

mark monday
What does it mean to be an Israeli, what does it mean to be a Jew? What does the 'Jewish God' look like, what are His goals? Is Tel Aviv a godless city? What does 'godless' even mean? What should a city do in a time of gods and of monsters? What should a documentarian, an historian, a government agent, a rabbinical student, a fireman do in a time of gods and monsters? Is a holy monster still a holy thing - or is it merely a monster? Does the idea of transcendence differ between belief systems? W...more
Tj
Review originally published at http://southernweirdo.wordpress.com.

One word review: Fun!

This novel is insane. It is an often pessimistic mosaic of modern Israeli culture, society, and beliefs. It captures moments of clarity and meaning while examining what happens when our mundane reality butts up against an absurd apocalyptic event.

Told in short bursts from multiple perspectives, the narrative pulls you in and doesn’t let you go. The story lingers long after you breeze through it. It gives us t...more
Mike
Yes, another book from the folks at ChiZine though admittedly this one was a bit harder to find since there seem to be few physical copies left floating around. It looks like Amazon Canada (linked to on the image to the left) has some left which is where I got mine. I was sold on this book courtesy of the excellent description from ChiZine:

Through a city torn apart by a violence they cannot comprehend, three disparate people—a documentary film-maker, a yeshiva student, and a psychotic fireman—mu
Frances
I wasn't planning to start reading this. But I was moving books around and I flipped it open--as you do--glanced at a page, and spent the next moment blinking over the description of the severed head "flying through the window and proclaiming it was in love with me" (I'd want to check that quote; might not be 100% accurate, but that's definitely what happened).

Started from the beginning. Can't speak to structure and overarching story yet, but the writing feels in some ways like a cross between J...more
Zivan
Despite being Israeli, I haven't read much Israeli Sci-Fi.

After a bad start during the 90s with a book that was so bad the aliens spoke Hebrew, and the main characters were called Adam and Eve, I shied away from the Israeli Sci-Fi scene.

However lately I'm hearing of more and more SF&F books by Israelis and have decided to give them another chance.

The Tel-Aviv Dossier is an Apocalyptic Novel set in Tel-Aviv.
It is fun to have the Apocalypse in your own back yard instead of New York, London or...more
Boston Book Bums
And calling Tel Aviv Dossier broadly Lovecraftian fits, so long as you throw in the pop-culture sensibilities of Nick Hornby with travelogue written up by Hunter S. Thompson.
Wahiaronkwas David
Haunting, yet unexpectedly funny - a story of humanity with beauty and warts.
Chris
I have always been leery of co-authored novels. I fear that either the product will be inconsistent because it was written by two authors, or the idea was so weak in the first place that it took two authors to make it palatable.

In this case the resultant work is inconsistent. It reads as if one writer wrote the first half and the other wrote the second half. The first half consists of a wide variety of perspectives on an apocolyptic event in Tel Aviv. If one is able to accept that these people a...more
Ndhrdt
Frighteningly original. I never thought I would read about elite forces rabbi's leaping out of a Boeing\Bell V22 Osprey.
Redpoet
Just about the strangest book I have ever read...
Zach
Zach is currently reading it
Sep 05, 2014
Juha
Juha marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Jake Keene
Jake Keene marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Shane Dougall
Shane Dougall marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Kim Perez
Kim Perez marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
eldiablo1977
eldiablo1977 marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Jessica Clark
Jessica Clark marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Peter
Peter added it
Nov 01, 2013
Lynne King
Lynne King marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Klaas Roggeman
Klaas Roggeman marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Ahmad Qassab Bashi
Ahmad Qassab Bashi marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
Noah
Noah marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Heather Antoy Stephenson
Heather Antoy Stephenson marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Lavie Tidhar was raised on a kibbutz in Israel. He has travelled extensively since he was a teenager, living in South Africa, the UK, Laos, and the small island nation of Vanuatu.

Tidhar began publishing with a poetry collection in Hebrew in 1998, but soon moved to fiction, becoming a prolific author of short stories early in the 21st century.

Temporal Spiders, Spatial Webs won the 2003 Clarke-Bradb...more
More about Lavie Tidhar...
The Bookman (The Bookman Histories, #1) Osama Camera Obscura (The Bookman Histories, #2) The Violent Century The Great Game (The Bookman Histories, #3)