Start by marking “The Tel Aviv Dossier” as Want to Read:
The Tel Aviv Dossier

Lavie Tidhar

Read eBook* *Different edition

The Tel Aviv Dossier

The wind picks up even more, pushing me, as if it's trying to jerk the camera away from my hands. I spin around and the camera pans across the old bus terminal and someone screams...

Into the city of Tel Aviv the whirlwinds come, and nothing will ever be the same.

Through a city torn apart by a violence they cannot comprehend, three disparate people, a documentary film-maker
Published May 1st 2012 by ChiZine (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Tel Aviv Dossier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tel Aviv Dossier

mark monday
What does it mean to be an Israeli, what does it mean to be a Jew? What does the 'Jewish God' look like, what are His goals? Is Tel Aviv a godless city? What does 'godless' even mean? What should a city do in a time of gods and of monsters? What should a documentarian, an historian, a government agent, a rabbinical student, a fireman do in a time of gods and monsters? Is a holy monster still a holy thing - or is it merely a monster? Does the idea of transcendence differ between belief systems? W ...more
Tj
Dec 18, 2010 Tj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally published at http://southernweirdo.wordpress.com.

One word review: Fun!

This novel is insane. It is an often pessimistic mosaic of modern Israeli culture, society, and beliefs. It captures moments of clarity and meaning while examining what happens when our mundane reality butts up against an absurd apocalyptic event.

Told in short bursts from multiple perspectives, the narrative pulls you in and doesn’t let you go. The story lingers long after you breeze through it. It gives us t
Mike
Oct 06, 2009 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, another book from the folks at ChiZine though admittedly this one was a bit harder to find since there seem to be few physical copies left floating around. It looks like Amazon Canada (linked to on the image to the left) has some left which is where I got mine. I was sold on this book courtesy of the excellent description from ChiZine:

Through a city torn apart by a violence they cannot comprehend, three disparate people—a documentary film-maker, a yeshiva student, and a psychotic fireman—mu
Frances
I wasn't planning to start reading this. But I was moving books around and I flipped it open--as you do--glanced at a page, and spent the next moment blinking over the description of the severed head "flying through the window and proclaiming it was in love with me" (I'd want to check that quote; might not be 100% accurate, but that's definitely what happened).

Started from the beginning. Can't speak to structure and overarching story yet, but the writing feels in some ways like a cross between J
Jun 16, 2017 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was too weird for me to totally enjoy. It was okay, and I get some of what it was trying to do, I guess. The story seems to charge through despite a lack of character development.

It was written sort of to resemble a holy book, from what I could tell. A gathering of stories and first hand accounts of the city of Tel Aviv as shit hits the fan. But yeah... super weird. I read it quickly cause it wasn't awful but I'm not going to recommend other people read it either.
Boston Book Bums
Sep 27, 2010 Boston Book Bums rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: speculative, horror
And calling Tel Aviv Dossier broadly Lovecraftian fits, so long as you throw in the pop-culture sensibilities of Nick Hornby with travelogue written up by Hunter S. Thompson.
Wahiaronkwas David
Haunting, yet unexpectedly funny - a story of humanity with beauty and warts.
Zivan
Jun 23, 2014 Zivan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite being Israeli, I haven't read much Israeli Sci-Fi.

After a bad start during the 90s with a book that was so bad the aliens spoke Hebrew, and the main characters were called Adam and Eve, I shied away from the Israeli Sci-Fi scene.

However lately I'm hearing of more and more SF&F books by Israelis and have decided to give them another chance.

The Tel-Aviv Dossier is an Apocalyptic Novel set in Tel-Aviv.
It is fun to have the Apocalypse in your own back yard instead of New York, London or
Gitai Ben-ammi
Jan 15, 2016 Gitai Ben-ammi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just terrible. I love reading foreign science fiction. I'm always eager to see new perspectives and new takes. However, this is stunningly boring. It's basically generic Lovecraft fan fiction, only poorly written. I'd like to blame the translator, but there are just so many issues with plotting, pacing, the basic ideas.
Neid Buell
Aug 11, 2013 Neid Buell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Frighteningly original. I never thought I would read about elite forces rabbi's leaping out of a Boeing\Bell V22 Osprey.
Redpoet
Apr 13, 2013 Redpoet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just about the strangest book I have ever read...
Gareth D.
Gareth D. rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2013
Sandra Kasturi
Sandra Kasturi rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2010
Emily Sheppard
Emily Sheppard rated it it was ok
Nov 05, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2015
Barry King
Barry King rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2013
Greg Gillis
Greg Gillis rated it it was amazing
Mar 14, 2010
Stewart Laskey
Stewart Laskey rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2011
Jackie Smith
Jackie Smith rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2013
Patrickmalka
Patrickmalka rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2012
Ae
Ae rated it it was amazing
Nov 24, 2013
Frank
Frank rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2015
David Forbes
David Forbes rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2017
Richard
Richard rated it really liked it
Jan 06, 2015
Richard Coxford
Richard Coxford rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2010
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2012
Matthew Kressel
Matthew Kressel rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2010
Ivo
Ivo rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2015
Brad Cundiff
Brad Cundiff rated it did not like it
Oct 01, 2011
Lavie Tidhar was raised on a kibbutz in Israel. He has travelled extensively since he was a teenager, living in South Africa, the UK, Laos, and the small island nation of Vanuatu.

Tidhar began publishing with a poetry collection in Hebrew in 1998, but soon moved to fiction, becoming a prolific author of short stories early in the 21st century.

Temporal Spiders, Spatial Webs won the 2003 Clarke-Bradb
More about Lavie Tidhar...