Rasputin's Bastards

Rasputin's Bastards

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  29 reviews
They were the beautiful dreamers. From a hidden city deep in the Ural mountains, they walked the world as the coldest of Cold Warriors, under the command of the Kremlin and under the power of their own expansive minds. They slipped into the minds of Russia's enemies with diabolical ease, and drove their human puppets to murder, and worse. They moved as Gods. And as Gods, t...more
Published June 15th 2012 by ChiZine

To ask other readers questions about Rasputin's Bastards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rasputin's Bastards

Kristin  (MyBookishWays Reviews)
You may also read my review here: http://www.mybookishways.com/2012/06/...

Alexei Kilodovich, KGB agent, has been pulled out of the water by a ship full of criminals. Specifically, criminals specializing in the trafficking of children, and using them in various money making schemes. Holden Gibson, head honcho, is bad news, but he’s nothing in comparison to the people that Kilodovich is used to dealing with. Kilodovich had been serving as a body guard to a supposed “business woman”, but who is, in...more
Caitlin
I only recently discovered David Nickle through his short story in Best Horror of the Year (Vol. 4), edited by Ellen Datlow. The short story is called "Looker" and I'll have a lot more to say about it when I review the anthology, but at this point let me say that it was both beautifully written, utterly creepy, and made my skin crawl.

Rasputin's Bastards is something altogether different - an epic Cold War novel featuring former KGB agents - the remnants of a former Soviet program to develop psy...more
Bibliophile
This book makes me happy. Just the fact that it exists gives me hope. There is so much mediocre, predictable and sloppy genre fiction out there, every time someone breaks out of that mold I want to cheer (Jeffrey Ford also does that to me).

I loved Eutopia: A Novel of Terrible Optimism, and this one is just as wonderful, but quite different. It's one of those rare novels that doesn't fit neatly into any category. Yes, there are elements of horror and fantasy with a bit of the spy novel thrown in,...more
D.
A spy story? Cold War? Hardly the sort of thing I pick up, on the surface. I have never seen a James Bond film, for example.

This was something entirely different. Shelved Soviet projects, Cold War holdovers out of place, sleeper agents and warped psychics. Layers of identities are giftwrapped over the disquieting sense that small children can see right through any attempts at pretence. Served with a side order of giant squid and at least one absolute gem hidden in a turn of phrase at least once...more
Christian
Rasputin's Bastards starts out with a very interesting premise tying together psychic, sleeper agents, and Russia's dark history. As a whole, the storyline was intriguing because Nickle only gives you tiny pieces of a massive ongoing story scattered between over a dozen characters. You get bits from characters' backstory, future, present, questionable memories, and 'happy places'.

My issue is only with the actual delivery. The story is told in 1-2 page snippets dealing with various characters. So...more
Lynne Premo
Damn. Just damn.

Nickle has a lot going on in this book, with layers upon layers of reality and not reality, such that you should probably not do what I did and go a long period between chapters, if you want to grasp everything happening here. As it is, this novel is the sort that lends itself to re-reading because the second and subsequent readings will provide much more depth (and recollection of which character is which and the relationships among them) than the first go-round. But the result...more
Tom
I was initially hesitant to buy this book, intriguing as it sounds, because the author is a horror writer and I'm not really into horror. But this book is definitely not horror. WHAT it is is another question entirely; the only point of reference I can give a potential reader might be the kind of stuff China Mieville writes: gritty, sometimes disturbing stories that take reality and turn it on its head while packing in imaginative concepts from a dozen different genres.

In Rasputin's Bastards Dav...more
trickgnosis
An intriguing read if this sort of thing appeals. There are a couple of missteps plot and pace-wise but I enjoyed it. Note to the author: Glocks do not have a safety. A small thing it's true but for anyone knowledgeable about firearms it immediately spoils the suspension of disbelief.
Lorina Stephens
There is no disputing David Nickle's ability as a strong story-teller with an aggressive style. If you're looking for subtle and lyrical, Rasputin's Bastard's is not it. If you're looking for a Clancy-ish SF, you've found your writer.

Set in the confusion of post-Cold War Era, Nickle's story unfolds around a large cast of characters, all working toward the same end, to either prevent, or create, world domination not through force of arms, but through aggression of a far more insidious and devasta...more
M Tat
Having picked this book up out of 'dire need to read something while on the bus', I was pleasantly surprised.

This is not a novel cut & dried easily for review, rather it (the novel) benefits from the layered approach: mental constructs, referred to as 'metaphors', provide some rather interesting opportunities for interpretation.

Suffice to say, reading this work _is_ a little jarring. There is some jumping around that may cause the reader's head to spin. It seems essential, then, to note the...more
Jessica
I enjoyed Rasputin's Bastards and there is no doubt after reading this book that David Nickle is a very talented author. The story is elaborate, meaty and well written. It however confused me a great deal.

The story based on a dozen or so central characters about Russian sleeper agents, psychics, puppet masters and of course their puppets. Who that is frequently is a mystery. Which gets to the confusion. The story is told in bursts from a variety of characters point of view. When changing you oft...more
Tone
There's a lot of cleaver ideas in here, the use of the post-Cold War for settings and characters and psychic warfare. Nickle avoids the telepathy trap of just having characters stare at each other and shake, ala Scanners, by having them navigate thought each others psyches through their memories.
Robert
This is a novel about some kind of secret Soviet program of what I would call psychic vampirism. I gather that the author was working off of the old remote viewing programs that were all the rage in the early 70's. In this book that is taken too a whole new level. And another level, and another, and so forth and so on. This is where the book faltered for this reader. It started out bizarre and slowly built to a point where the author began to explain the story. And then went even more bizarre to...more
Derek
I loved the premise of this book and the concept was compelling and very creative. The story carried me along well for the first quarter, but it began to become too complex for me as a reader as perspective and plains of reality changed constantly. The characters did not develop well and the ending left me feeling extremely dissatisfied. It's like the author got caught up in tangled plot lines and just decided to end the book rather than cause himself more pain.
Quentin
A very interesting concept (what happens to Soviet-created psychics after the Cold War ends?), but I found myself getting bored with all the characters. Some of them were interesting, fleshed out, with clear motivations, and others just seemed to be plot devices. And I have to confess that I didn't even really understand what was at stake in the grand scheme, and why the villains acted the way they did.
☯Bettie☯
One to keep my eye on - see how the ratings pan out.
:O)
Jenny
meh.

I applaud the effort and original ideas here but I have to admit that I just wanted it to be over around the 2/3rd mark.

there was a certain amount of drag and complexity and several characters about whom I couldn't care less. I just felt no attachment to any part of it. still, interesting premise, and decent writing.
Rrain
This book was certainly well-structured, well-written and well-paced, and for fans of thrillers and cold war espionage with added speculative elements it will probably be just their thing, but it kept me at a distance and I never really connected with the characters. Good book, just not to my taste.
Christa  Seeley
Have to mark this one DNF though it pains me to do so.

It's not that the writing isn't good - because it is. And the story is pretty interesting. But after reading almost half of the book I just can't get into it.

May have to try again at a later date.
Claudia
I got lost and can't find my way back to the story. I have never been a spy novel fan. I don't watch Bond movies either and I should have known this wasn't going to be my favorite. I'll have to mark this one a DNF.
David M.
Some good concepts and a solid opening, but the writing quickly becomes repetitive the plot drags and stalls, and the supporting characters feel like caricatures.
Brian Richardson
I wanted to like this book more than I actually did. The interesting premise foundered a bit on the shores of characters that refused to be engaging or likable.
edifanob
That was an interesting read.
But sometimes I felt lost within all the small chapters.

I don't know whom to recommend this book.
Stephina
Really good until everyone started crying and apologizing!
Manintheboat
Alright. I'm giving up. Not finishing it. I'm too lost.
I just couldn't get into this book.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
  • The Enterprise of Death
  • Napier's Bones
  • The Executioness
  • Chasing the Dragon
  • Worldsoul (Worldsoul Trilogy, #1)
  • In the Mean Time
  • Sarah Court
  • The World More Full of Weeping
David Nickle is the author of several novels and numerous short stories. His latest novel, The 'Geisters, is available from ChiZine Publications. His novel Eutopia: A Novel of Terrible Optimism was a finalist for the Aurora Award, the Sunburst Award and the Compton Crook Award. His story collection Monstrous Affections won the 2009 Black Quill Reader's Choice Award. He's a past winner of the Bram...more
More about David Nickle...
Eutopia Monstrous Affections The 'Geisters The Claus Effect The Sloan Men: Short Story