Start by marking “The Kind Of Life It's Been: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
The Kind Of Life It's Been: A Memoir

The Kind Of Life It's Been: A Memoir

For sixty years, Lloyd Robertson appeared on Canadian television screens as a journalist and an anchor, bringing us the major events of his day. The longest-serving TV news anchor in Canadian history, first on CBC and then on CTV, Robertson remains one of the most accomplished journalists of our time. His career is truly the story of Canada over the past half century, as h ...more
Published October 16th 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published October 3rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Kind Of Life It's Been, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kind Of Life It's Been

Matt
Oct 26, 2012 Matt rated it it was amazing
A refreshing look at a Canadian media icon, for whom I have always had a great deal of respect. Robertson pens his memoirs in a thorough an exploratory fashion, but does not use this portal as a 'tell-all' forum. He does, quite honestly, offer factual accounts of occurrences that happened to those around him, both complementary and negative, but does not browbeat his colleagues or competitors. We see life in the media circus through the eyes of one of its own greats and see just how things have ...more
Ann
Oct 24, 2012 Ann rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable trip down memory lane with a man who worked in Canadian broadcasting during six consecutive decades. So interesting to read his perspective on major events, how they were reported and how they affected Canada-- from the Kennedy assassination to the lunar landing to 9/11-- he was there for it all. Was also very surprised to learn of how rough his childhood was. It's made me miss seeing him on tv at the end of every day.
Louise
Jan 17, 2013 Louise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs
Story Description:

HarperCollins Publishers|October 16, 2012|Hardcover|ISBN: 978-1-44340-861-5

For sixty years, Lloyd Robertson lived his dream of working in broadcasting bringing us the major events of the day. The longest-serving TV news anchor in Canadian history, first on CBC and then on CTV, Robertson remains one of the most accomplished journalists of our time. His career is truly the story of Canada over the past half century, as he told us about key events like the moon landing, JFK’s assa
Ron
Mar 16, 2013 Ron rated it really liked it
Only 38 ratings so far? One of the giants of Canadian news, Lloyd writes the way he appears on television. Professional, principled, authoritative. Fun anecdotes for those who recall CBC personalities of the 60's and 70's.

I enjoyed his insights about CTV co- anchorman Harvey Kirck. What the critics said would never work turned into a major success.

Sure this book could use more depth, but there's enough here to satisfy the reader.
Matthew
Jan 05, 2013 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Great biography, but also a lesson in the history of news in Canadian television including the evolution of the brand, the people involved (in front and behind the camera) and the scenes in the newsroom on the days of some of the biggest news events of the last 60 years.
Shirley
Nov 18, 2012 Shirley rated it really liked it
Kind of a sweet memoir of a media icon but it was a little too self effacing - hard to believe he would have waited so long to retire if he was really that humble.
Vicki
Jan 28, 2013 Vicki rated it did not like it
OMG - a talking head in the very worst sense of the word. FOr all he's seen and all he's met, it was all I could do not to close the book 50 pages in. Nancy Pearl (Booklust) would not be proud!
Bonnie Randall
Jul 07, 2013 Bonnie Randall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This memoir made me melancholy; I could hear Lloyd Robertson’s voice throughout and realized how much I have missed him on the nightly news; a true, learned gentleman who really was fair and balanced in an age of journalism that’s become anything but.

Robertson chronicles a career honed of hard work, humility, and effort, and it’s impossible not to admire a man whose commitment to his field spanned 40 years yet still offered him passion and a sense of being star-struck by his own opportunities;
Alex Gregory
Dec 06, 2013 Alex Gregory rated it really liked it
The Kind of Life Its Been is a light, breezy memoir of noted CTV reporter Lloyd Robertson, and a wholly engaging read.

The book covers the entirety of Robertson's career, as well as his marriage, family struggles and triumphs, notable moments and his thoughts about several major world events. Make no mistake - this is all Robertson's work, to the point that his paragraphs run on for nearly entire pages. If you ever wanted evidence that Robertson is a far better broadcaster than a writer, this is
C.G.
Nov 12, 2012 C.G. rated it really liked it
As a long-time viewer of Lloyd Robertson, following him from CBC to CTV, I really enjoyed the story of his lengthy career. He comes across in the book the same way he has done on TV all these years - gentle but firm, caring deeply about our country (Canada) and the people in it. I was sorry to see him leave as anchor of the national news last year as I'd been watching him my whole adult life, but I'm glad he went out on top and of his own volition. Of course he's still around on W5 and he always ...more
Wendell Hennan
Jul 06, 2016 Wendell Hennan rated it it was amazing
an amazing story of the man who spent 35 years bringing Canada the news on CTV‘s The National and the previous 22 years working for CBC the Mother Corp and starting in radio in his home town of Stratford Ontario. Interesting political commentary and supportive and complimentary of Stephen Harper. Lloyd continually stresses the importance of unbiased reporting and honesty and at the end admits that he is from a generation who found it pompous to blow your own horn. An excellent documentary of the ...more
Tina Siegel
Dec 08, 2013 Tina Siegel rated it it was ok
So, I can see how this might be appealing to a Lloyd Robertson fan, or someone who's interested in the history of Canadian media. If either of those describe you, then go for it. Otherwise, skip it.
This is an incredibly generic 'I've retired and don't know what else to do so I'll write a memoir, whether it's warrented or not' autobiography. Sure, Robertson watched some pretty interesting things happen, but that's all he did. And sure, there are some interesting facts about his early life, but no
April
Mar 02, 2015 April rated it really liked it
Lloyd Robertson's 41 years as a national anchor is incredible. His career seems to bookend traditional television news, so his story is tells the story of Canadian television for half a century. His memoir makes it clear he was not afraid of hard work and had the news bug that keeps most journalists in this crazy business. His honesty and integrity is clear in this book, particularly illustrated by his decision to turn down a Liberal Senate seat. As a cub reporter myself, I found this book inspi ...more
Susie
Dec 01, 2012 Susie rated it liked it
I was very excited to read this book. I grew up watching Lloyd Robertson on the news and enjoyed it. Unfortunately I really didn't enjoy reading this book. It was mostly about the radio and television industry, which I understand that there should be this subject in the book. I just wished I read more about Lloyd Robertson's life, the people he met and interviewed and the stories he covered.

I am not sure if I would recommend this book to anyone. Sorry Lloyd
Scott Williams
Mar 03, 2013 Scott Williams rated it it was ok
I found this sort of bland. It's as if Robertson applied the news anchor's opinion-less neutrality to his own life! For the most part, this memoir is just surface stuff. There are some missed opportunities to discuss the real ins and outs of Canadian journalism and broadcasting over the past 60 years.

Also, I found Robertson's strange obsession with Stephen Harper quite off-putting.
Grazyna Nawrocka
Nov 17, 2012 Grazyna Nawrocka rated it it was amazing
Lloyd Robertson - always a gentleman. Reading this book felt like drinking good spumante. The style is very light, but engaging. This book is very personal expression, but full of factual information. For some reason (probably matter of author's positive attitude towards life), reading this biography made me feel better about everything.
Joan
Sep 22, 2013 Joan rated it liked it
Lloyd gives a succinct view of media history and many of the personalities we have seen through the years. His personal history explains in part his determination as well. I would have liked to have read more if his personal reactions /opinions/relationships but one gets the sense that the book is written much like his newscasts-- headlines only.
Alicia J
Jan 12, 2013 Alicia J rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fic
Didn't finish it but gave it a good shot. It's always interesting when people who have had hard upbringings find success, this was a rather dry read. I think it will mostly appeal to those in broadcasting and journalism.
Brent
Oct 07, 2013 Brent rated it liked it
I read this after reading Craig Oliver's biography (Oliver's Twist) but didn't find myself as engaged by Lloyd Robertson's story. Having said that, it's a different type of story and I did enjoy reading behind the scenes stories of National Newscasts, Canadian and World events.
Lorraine
Sep 22, 2013 Lorraine rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I enjoyed this signed copy which I obtained after hearing Lloyd speak at Word on the Street in Kitchener this year. Nice to understand the background of people we watched for years on tv.
Gvillanu
Mar 16, 2014 Gvillanu rated it did not like it
Regretfully, I wasn't able to finish reading his book. I love the opportunity to get to know Canadian broadcasters, but I wasn't hooked by Lloyd's long-winded storytelling.
Shamel Hosni
Nov 03, 2012 Shamel Hosni rated it it was amazing
Lloyd having been in the news anchor chair for 41 years, 35 years of them with CTV, has many stories to tell. Interesting book by my favourite news anchor.
Raimo Wirkkala
This is a nice memoir by a nice man about his nice career. If, like me, you are into "media memoirs" then you will find this book a nice enjoyable read.
Grant Buchan-terrell
Feb 20, 2013 Grant Buchan-terrell rated it did not like it
Bland as you would expect. No insights of interest. He is conned by spectacle of Olympics and likes Harper! Buff said. Don't bother with waste of paper.
Sarah Foster
Jan 03, 2013 Sarah Foster rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Really liked this book. A great book for people interested in journalism or current events to read.
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2013
Alicia Wallen
Alicia Wallen rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2014
Dominica
Dominica rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2014
Laridae
Laridae rated it really liked it
May 01, 2013
Bev Martin
Bev Martin rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Flight of the Dragonfly
  • The World is Moving Around Me: A Memoir of the Haiti Earthquake
  • Changing My Mind
  • Under an Afghan Sky: A Memoir of Captivity
  • A Family by Any Other Name: Exploring Queer Relationships
  • Old Before My Time: Hayley Okines' Life with Progeria
  • How Not to Calm a Child on a Plane: And Other Lessons in Parenting from a Highly Questionable Source
  • Almost a Great Escape: A Found Story
  • Do Dead People Walk Their Dogs?: Questions You'd Ask a Medium If You Had the Chance
  • Beyond the Pale: Folklore, Family and the Mystery of Our Hidden Genes