Start by marking “Castle in the Air” as Want to Read:
Castle in the Air

Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  20,670 ratings  ·  1,225 reviews
Abdullah was a young and not very prosperous carpet dealer. His father, who had been disappointed in him, had left him only enough money to open a modest booth in the Bazaar. When he was not selling carpets, Abdullah spent his time daydreaming. In his dreams he was not the son of his father, but the long-lost son of a prince. There was also a princess who had been betrothe ...more
Published September 25th 2012 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Castle in the Air, please sign up.

Kc Love Hi. I actually placed a reservation to our nearest book store since it is out-of-stock even today. I waited for almost a month! But it's really worth…moreHi. I actually placed a reservation to our nearest book store since it is out-of-stock even today. I waited for almost a month! But it's really worth it.(less)

"Castle in the Air" is Diana Wynne Jones' sequel to her amazingly awesome novel "Howl's Moving Castle." It was originally published in 1990 (four years after "Howl's Moving Castle"). At first glance, this novel doesn't sound like a sequel--it sounds more like a companion book at best--but I promise it does explain more about Howl and Sophie, just not right away and not, perhaps, in the most obvious way.

That said, this story is set in the Sultanates of Rashpuht a land far to the south of Ingary (
Zamak u oblacima donosi u istoj meri ono što nam je doneo i njegov prethodnik - pregršt šarenila i avantura. Zbog tematike na momente sam morao da se podsećam da ovo nije Salman Ruždi, već neko drugi...
Stil pripovedanja, ali i pisanja, je otprilike isti kao u prvom delu, i može se naslutiti kako će se roman završiti, kao i "prošlost" određenih magijskih predmeta ili likova. Jednostavno čitalac može da "nanjuši" sumnjivog lika ili sumnjiv predmet i da pretpostavi šta se u njemu krije.
Mark Lawrence
Another very readable book from DWJ, and one I've just finished reading to my daughter, Celyn. Refreshingly independent princesses being semi-saved by our devoted hero, a carpet salesman from the desert city of Zanzib. He's not hero material, and never resorts to violence, but he's a good fellow and carries the story well.

We get all the standard Aladdin-esque trappings, a magic carpet, a genie in a bottle, evil djinns, bandits, sultans, camels... and for a while you think you know roughly where
Castle in the Air is the sequel to Howl’s Moving Castle. That being said I picked this up with trepidation because I was rather disappointed the book wasn’t going to be from the main characters in the first, nor would it have a direct focus on it. But they do occur later on.

That being said, I loved this book! I loved how she managed to turn this into another one of her witty, light-hearted, but not lacking in depth, fantasy tales. It was unique, original, and if I hadn’t read spoilers beforehand
Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽
The Wizard Howl gets mixed up with djinni, genies (in this story they're two different species) and some Arabian Nights-type characters (from the sanitized version I read as a child) in this sequel to Howl's Moving Castle. Abdullah, a humble young carpet merchant with big (day)dreams, is sold a magic carpet by a suspicious-looking stranger, which leads him to a beautiful princess named Flower-in-the-Night, a genie in a bottle, and other adventures. Abdullah is forced to leave behind his daydream ...more
4.5 / 5

Una descripción hermosa de los escenarios. Incluso poética. Un excelente y original libro de fantasía.

If you read and enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle and have yet to read this, what are you waiting for? Come on now, go read it. At once.

I liked Castle in the Air better than its predecessor, surprisingly. There are several reasons for this:

1. The plot makes more sense on a first read-- there's a clear mission from the get-go, and the reveals at the end aren't at all confusing.

2. It's not exactly a retelling... but there are clear, surely intended parallels to the story of Aladdin. I really liked the
☆ ĄňŊǡƂėƮĦ ☆ ŞŧŎŋė
this book was really good! it was funny and had all of hte great characters from Howl's Moving Castle along with a few new and very entertaining characters. there were some plot twists along with curses and disguises. it had a great ending with many surprises. so all in all, the perfect book.
DWJ Book Toast, #7

Diana Wynne Jones is one of my favorite fantasy authors, growing up and now, and I was saddened by the news of her death. I can't say I'm overcome with emotion - as personal as some of her work is to me, its not like I knew her after all - but I wish I could put into words how I feel about her no longer being out there, writing new adventures and laughing at all of us serious fans thinking so hard about her words when we should simply get on with the business of enjoying them.

One of the marks of my favorite authors is their ability to keep me guessing–the knowledge that when I crack open one of their books, I should expect the unexpected. This is only my second Diana Wynne Jones read, but I can already see her name rising in the ranks of the authors who do just that. Like Howl’s Moving Castle, Castle in the Air is an incredibly smart, adventurous, twisting read that is a credit to readers of all ages. At no point did I know where the story was going, and in the end I ...more
I r h
El argumento, si nos fijamos bien, tiene un cierto toque de Las mil y una noches que le diferencia claramente de EL CASTILLO AMBULANTE. Y es que, si lo que esperas es encontrarte una continuación, aquí no la encontrarás. Casi podríamos decir que es un libro aparte.

Así, nos encontramos siendo testigos de las aventuras (¿o quizá desventuras?) de Abdullah por encontrar a su amadísima y bellísima Flor-en-la-noche. Tengo que decir que ambos me han encantado. Uno por su fuerza y sus ganas de conseguir
Castle in the Air is indeed a companion to Howl's Moving Castle, but the first thing to accept is that you won't be seeing much of Howl and Sophie. Once I did that, I was able to relax and enjoy this entirely different book.

Abdullah is from Rashpuht, and this is where the story begins. As the names suggest, there's a definite "Arabian Nights" flavor to the narrative. Abdullah finds himself with a magic carpet, that he doesn't know how to control, exactly, and meets with the princess Flowers-in-t
The Flooze

Not so much a sequel to Howl's Castle as a related story, Castle in the Air is a fast-paced tale of magic carpets, genies and djinns, with some princesses thrown in for effect. It follows Abdullah, a daydreaming carpet dealer who learns to be cautious of wishes - they never turn out exactly as one hopes.

Appearances by much of the cast of Howl's Castle make this a delightful way of catching up with those characters. The plot isn't as helter-skelter as the previous installment, but does mi
Lari Don
One of my favourite Diana Wynne Jones books – her Arabian Nights novel. Castle In The Air initially seems to be a story about a poor carpet seller, his love for a beautiful princess, and the problems caused by a nasty Djinn and a genie in a bottle, with all the manners, colours and scents of an exotic eastern story. But it’s ALSO the sequel to Howl’s Moving Castle, which is set in a very different northern fairytale world. I remember the very first time I read it, years ago, being initially disa ...more
Well, that was brilliant.

Castle In The Air starts out rather far away from good old Ingary - with a new protagonist, in the faraway "Arabian Nights"-esque country of Rashpuht, following a young merchant named Abdullah with a penchant for dreams. Alike its predecessor, the story soon becomes a giant whirlpool of interloping plots, tiny Chekhov's Guns, subversions and plays on expected tropes and action - lots of adventurous action. Again, nothing is ever what it initially seems!

While I might say
This book didn't do it for me. I loved all the other books I've read by Diana Wynne Jones, but these characters seemed like cardboard, their trials and tribulations not squeezing any sympathy or interest from me... until, of course, they met up with Sophie and Howl at the very, very end (much to my dismay).

I know Jones likes rewriting fairy tales the way she thinks of them, this obviously being the tale of Alladin. I don't enjoy that story, either.

So I guess, to be fair, it's most likely my pe
Didn't enjoy this one as much as Howl's Moving Castle, until closer to the end when the two books started to come together. Lovely sequel.
Esta trilogía me viene gustando mucho, aunque este libro se me hizo un poco más pesado que el primero.

Seguimos en esa temática estilo cuento de hadas, aunque esta vez ubicados en un país que recuerda a medio oriente, así que da la sensación de estar en un cuento de las mil y una noches. No sigue mucho los tópicos de la entrega anterior, es muy diferente, pero sí vemos a muchos de los personajes de el castillo vagabundo que tendrán gran importancia en la trama.

Particularmente me disgusto el roman
Douglas Cootey
I must admit I read this book for entertainment only. My critical analysis was parked in the back of the lot while I was up front with the crowds enjoying the show. Castle wasn't as good a novel for me as its prequel, Howl's Moving Castle, but it was a good read nonetheless.

Fans of the prequel might not initially like the vastly different setting and main character, Abdullah of Zanzib. Going from medieval Europe to medieval Persia could be a bit jarring, but once preconceived notions are out of
Paula Konstantinova
El castillo en el aire puede considerarse una continuación de Howl's Moving Castle hasta cierto punto, ya que volvemos a Ingary, ampliando nuestro conocimiento de ese mundo y encontraremos a viejos conocidos. No cuando los protagonistas principales ya no son los de El castillo ambulante sino que se transforman –algunos- en secundarios de lujo. Sin embargo, el libro sigue lleno del humor y un estilo que puede resultar infantil pero no exento de encanto.

En El castillo en el aire nos encontramos en
One should definitely read Howl's Moving Castle before you read this one. I admit, I was disappointed that Howl, Calcifer, and Sophie were not much in this book. But the genie easily replaces Howl in every respect, as does the black cat Sophie. And while the carpet never speaks, its attitude is strikingly like Calcifer's - sulky if it doesn't receive praise (rather reminds me of the old copier at the library, which I had to constantly wheedle before it printed). These, along with a few new chara ...more
First off let me say that I'm a big fan of Diana Wynne Jones and of 'Howl's Moving Castle' however, this "sequel" did't really speak to me. I use the term sequel loosely since the characters from the first book are virtually unknown until about 2/3 of the way through. I spent most of the book waiting for the characters I already loved- the reason I picked up the book in the first place.

It didn't help that I never really connected with the main character Abdullah. On the one hand Jones did a goo
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
Abdullah is a carpet merchant in the lands south of Ingary, in the city Zanzib. And although he is a humble carpet merchant he day dreams constantly about being a prince. One day his dreams start becoming a reality when he finds himself in the garden of Flower-in-the-Night, a princess, by way of a magic carpet. However, his princess is kidnapped by a djinn and it is up to Abdullah to save her with the help of a moody magic carpet and a wicked genie.

This book was a really fun read, it was charmin
As the sequel to Howl's Moving Castle, I felt that it was very well adapted. I love how Jones took an age-old classic story (most commonly known by the title of 'Aladdin') and rolled that into an old Russian fairytale style where a big bad bully comes along and steals all the X or Y. In this case, X are all the princesses in the world.

This mix worked quite well as an 'epic tale', actually. The book could definitely even have been longer, if you ask me! As things are, the plot was well thought-o
This is a good book that I think fans of Howl's Moving Castle will enjoy. I was disappointed at first that this book wasn't quite a sequel because it does not focus on the same characters at the beginning of the novel, but by the end you do get a taste of the characters you grew to love in the first book. In addition, this novel adds a lot to the world building of the first book.
M. Lawrence
Charming story

Although it's not my favorite of hers (Howl's Moving Castle is that) but I felt it was a good follow up. I liked the main character and the plot line very much, and I was also pleased when the main characters from the first book showed up, about halfway through.
I started this in April. April 12, according to Goodreads. And I have only finished it now because I really, really want to continue this series. So I got the audiobook, which was a good choice. (But super weird hearing Howl with a Welsh accent. When you're used to Ghibli, it's kind of jarring. But ironically Christian Bale is Howl's voice and he is Welsh. Anyway.....)

Abdullah drove me crazy. All his flowery speeches and simpering just drove me up the damn wall. And I spent the whole book wonder
Purple Elephants ...: Castle in the Air (June 2015) 8 6 Aug 17, 2015 12:23PM
2015 Reading Chal...: Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones 5 13 Aug 05, 2015 01:23PM
Should I read this? 9 57 Oct 23, 2014 12:21PM
What's The Name o...: SOLVED. YA about a begger and a genie [s] 5 48 Jul 25, 2014 09:47AM
How does Abdullah know Howl??! 3 56 Sep 23, 2013 05:14AM
  • Mairelon the Magician (Mairelon, #1)
  • The Twelve Kingdoms: Sea of Shadow (The Twelve Kingdoms, #1)
  • A Conspiracy of Kings (The Queen's Thief, #4)
  • The Squire's Quest (The Squire's Tales, #9)
  • Flora's Dare (Flora Trilogy, #2)
  • Firebirds: An Anthology of Original Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • The Hounds of the Mórrígan
  • Street Magic (The Circle Opens, #2)
  • Wren to the Rescue (Wren, #1)
  • The Castle of Llyr (The Chronicles of Prydain #3)
  • The Perilous Gard
Diana Wynne Jones was the author of more than thirty critically acclaimed fantasy stories, including the Chrestomanci series and the novels Howl's Moving Castle and Dark Lord of Derkholm.

For Diana Wynne Jones's official autobiography, please see
More about Diana Wynne Jones...

Howl's Moving Castle (3 books)
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)

“I am a believer in free will. If my dog chooses to hate the whole human race except myself, it must be free to do so.” 295 likes
“Take it from me, Fate doesn't care most of the time.” 224 likes