Start by marking “Stupid Perfect World” as Want to Read:
Stupid Perfect World

Stupid Perfect World

3.55  ·  Rating Details ·  1,744 Ratings  ·  249 Reviews
In this future-set novella by bestselling author Scott Westerfeld, Kieran Black lives in a "perfect" world. Disease and starvation have been eradicated, sleep is unnecessary, and it takes no time at all to go from the Bahamas to the moon. But now Kieran has to take Scarcity, a class about how people lived in the bad old days. And as if sitting through an hour of Scarcity e ...more
Published December 4th 2012 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Stupid Perfect World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stupid Perfect World

TheBookSmugglers
Jan 20, 2013 TheBookSmugglers rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, scifi
Originally reviewed on The Book Smugglers

The time is the future, and the world is perfect. Ridiculously perfect. Stupid perfect.

In this future world, teens must enroll in a mandatory class called "Scarcity" in which they must participate in a unique class project - they must endure an experience that their ancient human ancestors would have had, for a whole two week long period. Some students choose to have the common cold. Some choose to relinquish their teleportation privileges. After discardi
i.
Sep 22, 2015 i. rated it really liked it
Why is this a novella? I could've read a whole book, a long one, even a series. Scott Westerfeld has a vivid imagination, especially when it comes to creating alternative futures, in fact , his series Uglies is among my favourite novels ever.

I loved the idea of the perfect future in this book : no health issues, no poverty nor wars. A reality which is questioned by teenagers, who would rather dream and fall in love than enjoy a life without all the "inconveniences" of our century.

Stupid Perfect
Aideeeee
Nov 08, 2014 Aideeeee rated it really liked it
Al punto; corto y bonito.

¿Cuántas veces no nos hemos quejado de nuestras necesidades y debilidades biológicas? Bien, la historia nos cuenta un futuro sin ellas. Un mundo perfecto. En él, un par de adolescentes acostumbrados a no padecer ningún tipo de molestia y/o sufrimiento tendrán que elegir un 'mal' del pasado y padecerlo para un proyecto escolar. Es entonces que las hormonas de Maria y los sueños de Kieran les juegan pasadas y les muestran la estupidez de su mundo perfecto.

Nunca había leí
Wart Hill
Jan 24, 2014 Wart Hill rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-scifi-fantasy
This was very, very good.

It's not a dystopia. It's a utopia for actuals, which is pretty sweet. This is a future where disease, war, famine, it's all gone. Conquered, I guess you could say. And for a school project, kids have to experience something from before.

Kieran chooses sleep, Maria chooses hormones. Between dreams and teenage angst, the two are brought closer by their experiences.

And it's very well done.

I'd like if Westerfeld took this concept and kept going with it. But the novella's nic
Lindsay Cummings
Dec 04, 2012 Lindsay Cummings rated it it was amazing
I love everything this man writes. he's ridiculously awesome.
christine
Apr 05, 2015 christine rated it liked it
Recommends it for: no one
This book was not spectacular, or wonderful, or anything of the sort. There is exactly one good scene in the entire novella (which only spans a few sentences) and that one scene is what raised this rating from a two star rating to a three star rating.

I don't really recommend this book to anyone. The romance in it is not at all heartwarming, and actually kind of gross. I love Scott Westerfeld, but this is the sole piece of writing of his that I don't really like at all. I was fooled into thinkin
Jaime Arkin
I really enjoyed this and was sad when I turned the last page. In Stupid Perfect World, Westerfield has created a society set in the future where the things that we have to 'endure' no longer exist. No hunger or disease... travel is simple and easy and sleep isn't necessary.

Students are required to take a class called Scarcity where they learn about how people lived during the old days. (our present time!) Part of their grade is based on a final project where they are expected to pick something
Lulie
Nov 30, 2012 Lulie rated it it was ok
Um… what did I just read? That’s the question I want to ask myself as I get to the very abrupt ending of this piece. Granted, it is a short story—novella, whatever you want to call it, and I think that fact hinders the author’s ability to write a really deep story. Because there is so much more than I wanted from this novella than what I got. The blurb promises to reveal “something [that] has been missing from their perfect lives after all”, but I don’t think it ever does. I mean, yeah, Kieran e ...more
Ardo
Dec 05, 2012 Ardo rated it really liked it
I’ve finally read a Scott Westerfeld story! I don’t know why but life seems to enjoy throwing curve balls whenever I try to read something by him but when I heard about HarperCollins new imprint, HarperTeen Impulse, and that his novella was one of the firsts…I jumped at the chance. Like I said, Stupid Perfect World is a novella which means that it’s too long to be a short story but too short to be categorized as a novel.

I liked it. It was a cute read and the premise was really great. The charact
La Coccinelle
Sep 14, 2013 La Coccinelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, novella
This is an interesting novella about two teenagers in a seemingly utopian society. Both have to come up with projects for their Scarcity class, which is where they learn about all the horrible things that beset their ancestors in the olden days. For their final projects, Kieran chooses to experience sleep and Maria chooses to experience unregulated teenage hormones.

I thought the characters were developed pretty well, even though the story was so short. The nine chapters alternate between Kieran'
Chiv
Apr 15, 2013 Chiv rated it really liked it
This novella follows the life of two teenagers, Kieran and Maria, who love in this utopian society that has cured practically every angst of the current world we're living in. They both take a class called 'Scarcity' which teaches them about what people used to experience in the 'olden days'(eg hunger, diseases, sleep, etc) . As a final exam, they are to pick one of the experiences the learned about to go through for the next 2 weeks. Kieran picked sleep and Maria picked hormones. They both go t ...more
Sarena Farber
Aug 05, 2013 Sarena Farber rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: nobody
Recommended to Sarena by: nobody
I remember reading the Uglies Series and loving it. The suspense, the thrill of the distopian adventure, and the whole plot in general. I flew through those books right away, and didn't ever want an ending. Yesterday, when I found this book in the Kindle Store, I got very excited, for I found yet another one of Scott Westerfelds distopian books. I started the book at 7 in the morning, and ended it at 8 this morning. Frankly; I'm more disapointed than ever.

1) This book was much too short.
The plo
Louisa
Scott Westerfeld, can I haz your world-building skillz?!

This was a short novella, kind of too short, but I liked the concept and writing too much to bear downgrading my rating. I took a module called "New Communications Technology" last semester that I wish I could've taken after reading this--discussing a "stupid perfect world" in that class would've been perfect.

One of my favourite parts:

Solomon’s gaze took a random walk around the classroom. This whole raising-your-hand thing was another of
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
I'm a big fan of Scott's Leviathan series and I enjoyed The Secret Hour, but for some reason outside of these few books of Scott's I can't really get into his other books. I don't know why that is. While I think this is a good read and a book fans of Scott Westerfeld's are going to enjoy, it's not one I loved. I admire Scott's writing, his rich world building and the characters he writes about. Kieran and Maria were two characters who's story I liked reading, but there was something I just could ...more
Wealhtheow
Nov 11, 2013 Wealhtheow rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
In the future, deprivation, sickness, hormonal imbalances, and pretty much all forms of suffering have been eliminated. Teenagers are required to take a class in "Scarcity" to remind them of how fortunate they are. Each chooses a single affliction or aspect of the pre-utopian world. Kieran chooses to start sleeping, while Maria chooses to no longer control her hormones. While their classmates deal with the common cold or seasickness, Kieran and Maria find their perfect, balanced selves tipping i ...more
Tara Day
May 19, 2014 Tara Day rated it it was amazing
I wish Scott Westerfeld would have done more with this - made it a whole book or even a series. The concept is fabulous and I would have liked to spend more time getting to know Kieran and Maria and to divulge in the world he created.

Five stars because I love anything Westerfeld does. Everything he writes is unique and beautifully written.

Kieran is adorable to read and Maria is a character I can relate to well. I love the teasing between them and how it grows into something stronger. I love th
Pearl
Feb 18, 2013 Pearl rated it really liked it
The Scarcity class idea was really interesting. Westerfeld was able to create a futuristic world within this short story that's unique and interesting. Kieran and Maria were good main charaters and I liked how the story alternate from their POV in each chapters. Both of the characters needed each other to finish it and that ended up being a wonderful story. It was a fun read.
Heidi (yabibliophile)
Dec 04, 2012 Heidi (yabibliophile) rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this short story... just wish I would have known it was the same one I read in the Love is Hell anthology. I bought it without reading what it was about because I wanted to read all the Harper Teen Impulse titles! Still, it's a GREAT story.
☣Lynn☣
Only reason why I'm not rating this any higher is because I wish this would have been a full length novel. It's such a perfect idea, but I wish he would have had more world building.

I think this would have been better as an actual book not short story.
Tara
Jul 05, 2015 Tara rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
This novella by Westerfeld did not disappoint. I just wish it had been longer. It had all the elements of a typical work of his and the same intrigue that got me to read the Uglies series; again, I just wish there had been more.
Joey Alison Sayers
Sep 04, 2014 Joey Alison Sayers rated it liked it
Good Vonnegut-esque novelina by Scott Westerfeld. Made me realize I probably wouldn't have burned out so hard on YA if more of it was shorter-form.
Jess
Jun 24, 2013 Jess rated it really liked it
The story was interesting, but I wish it had been longer, as the ending felt very abrupt. I guess I missed that it was a novella when I got it.
Melanie
Jan 26, 2015 Melanie rated it liked it
Cute YA story, not much development of characters or plot but it was very short.
Viridiana Ruiz
Feb 21, 2016 Viridiana Ruiz rated it it was amazing
quiero una novela completa de este mundo a la de yaaa por fiss
Nella
Jan 10, 2017 Nella rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I really liked it! The idea was unique and interesting, and I actually kind of wish it was an entire book rather than just a short story (come on Westerfeld you can do it,give us the book!)
Catherine
Jun 10, 2017 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
This was so good. I wished it were longer.
Michele
Mar 09, 2017 Michele rated it it was amazing
Short and sweet but thought provoking. A very clever idea.
Reading Wolf
This review is going to be full of spoilers. But considering it is a novella there is not much I can say about the characters, plot, and setting that wouldn't spoil the story. So your basic run down is the plot is interesting, the characters are actually funny at times, and I only found a few flaws in the story.

(view spoiler)
Korynne
Sep 14, 2016 Korynne rated it liked it
The concept for Stupid Perfect World sounds really cool: a futuristic society where students take a class that teaches them about the ancient struggles of their ancestors, AKA us today, and every student has to do a project to experience something like their ancestors did. Kieran chooses to sleep every night (since in their society sleep isn't necessary), and Maria chooses to forgo hormone control. Throughout their experiments, Kieran and Maria learn that life nowadays wasn't so bad after all.

I
Stephanie
I think this is actually a short story...or novelette or something small like that, but Goodreads counted it, so, for now I will count it.

I have no idea why it's so short...it's like it's a teaser for something else, something else that is already for sale and I missed the memo and only got this small thing.

I love the premise of this story and I gosh darn wish it was a whole book, just when it was getting good...good little book...good-bye.

Anyway, in order to create a perfect future people have
Kindle version of this book 1 12 Dec 10, 2012 11:10AM
  • Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
  • Foundation (Razorland, #0.5)
  • The Fall (The Glimpse, #2)
  • Ruled (Birthmarked, #2.5)
  • Frozen Heart
  • The Handler (Mindjack Origins, #2)
  • Terra (Terrestrials, #1)
  • Cruisin'
  • Shymers (Shymers #1)
  • Proxy (Avalon, #0.5)
  • World of Shell and Bone (Glimpsing Stars, #1)
  • The Dead and Empty World (The Forest of Hands and Teeth #0.1-0.4)
  • One Day More
  • Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020, #1)
  • Going Dark (Blackout #0.5)
  • The Most Precious Memory
  • Colonization (Paradise Reclaimed, #1)
Scott Westerfeld is a New York Times bestselling author of YA. He was born in the Texas and now lives in Sydney and New York City. In 2001, Westerfeld married fellow author Justine Larbalestier.

He is best know for the Uglies and Leviathan series, and his next book, Afterworlds, comes out September 23, 2014.

His book Evolution's Darling was a New York Times Notable Book, and won a Special Citation f
More about Scott Westerfeld...

“And even though her journal was just random sentences, she did spin stories in my head. The sound of her voice made dreams happen.” 2 likes
“Necessity is the mother of invention” 1 likes