Start by marking “Awakening the Heroes Within: Twelve Archetypes to Help Us Find Ourselves and Transform Our World” as Want to Read:

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  298 ratings  ·  26 reviews
"The heroic quest is about saying 'yes' to yourself and in so doing, becoming more fully alive and more effective in the world. . . . The quest is replete with dangers and pitfalls, but it offers great rewards: the capacity to be successful in the world, knowledge of the mysteries of the human soul, and the opportunity to find and express your unique gifts in the world."

Published July 31st 2012 by HarperElixir (first published July 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Awakening the Heroes Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening the Heroes Within

I found the beginning of this book fairly hard to wade through but about mid-way, I started to get into it. She has a lot of insights into archetypes and made me want to read a lot more Jung. I was particularly intrigued by her sense of the movement from one archetype pattern to another in the course of a lifetime. I'd just skip the intro, if I were you!
I wasn't floored by it - but the little chunks that were insightful were insightful enough that I forgave the more banal stuff. Also, this is re
This book was recommended to me by Dr. Dave of Shrink Rap Radio. Initially I was somewhat skeptical but as I read deeper into the book I was gripped by the deep impact the material was having on me. I have been fascinated by some of the Jungian material I have listened to on Dr. Dave's podcast but often felt I was getting lost along the way. Carol Pearson's work organizes the themes represented by twelve core archetypes that represent powerful developmental influences on the individual and the c ...more
I love myth and legend and modern books written as tales of heroes and quests. Pearson offers the archetypes of these stories and aligns them with different parts of the journey. I learned why I have been drawn to certain characters at different points in my life. I have also used the archetypes to identify characters in scripture, inserting myself into the scene first with the most comfortable character, then moving on to the more challenging characters. A fabulous book that you will read throu ...more
Almira Rahma
This book is really great and successfully made me braingasm. I spent like one year to read this book until the last page, but it's really worth to read. This book has taught me about how universe work and how we see God in psychological or social-scientific way. A good book for those who doubt their faith on God (or universe). My faith restored after reading this book.
Kevin Shoop
Highly recommended. Pearson's work is influenced primarily by Carl Jung and Joseph Campbell, and this book is an expansion of The Hero Within , written by Pearson 3 years earlier. Sometimes an expansion is superfluous and unnecessary; in this case, the expansion adds depth and practicality. Quite simply, this is the most transformative (and potentially transformative) book I've ever read. Amazingly, this book was written in the early 1990s, but Pearson is so forward-looking--especially in discu ...more
James Andersen
I have not read the entire book, but I have taken part in the exercises found within the book. After doing the exercises and reading the parts of the book that best applied to the results from the exercises I can certainly say that the author has done some impressive work with this book. I have certainly seen the elements of the various Archetypes manifest in my life in profound ways that the results of the exercise said I would have seen. The book also talks about the resolution of conflicts be ...more
I was first introduced to this book while taking an acting seminar that focused on archetypes. It was an interesting and fun approach to learning about aspects of human behavior and the ways these subconscious patterns affect our energy and physicality. This book could serve as a resource for educators, artists, and anyone who wants to cultivate a deeper understanding of human behavior.
Life from the perspective of mythology.
Kathy Labadorf
This is such a helpful book if you are feeling a bit at sea about your life. It helps you to understand yourself and the folks who surround you and interact with you. It's very helpful as Pearson writes about the archetype and then describes the shadow archetype that can accompany it. It's terrific. I pull it out a few times a year so I'll never be finished with it. Every time I learn more than I had the previous time.
Paul  Hankins
I've read this one many times, but as we prepared for our unit on archetypes this year, I went ahead and read it again. In interest of the 1000 book reading challenge, I am listing it as a September 2012 read. Highly recommended for introducing the archetypes. This was one of my favorite college texts. It really left an imprint upon me.
Anthony St. Clair
Whether you are trying to improve something in your life or you are an author trying to understand different aspects of personality and how a character can change in a story, this is an excellent book. It uses the classic "Hero's Journey" to give insights on life that are easily translated to story.
This book is so freaking great. I am an aspiring Jungian therapist interested in Jung, archetypes and mythology. The book gives you tons of info on 12 archetypes as well as a little quiz to see how active each one is in your life :) I'm really loving the info I'm finding.
I'm very excited about using this book to spark discussion with my online women's group. Excellent insight into the motivations for our behavior and how we can work with mythical heroes to live a fuller life.
Mar 19, 2010 Sandy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandy by: Sallie
Pearson quotes many authors, thus bringing a breadth of knowledge to this highly readable book. Lacks clinical clarity, but might be a good read for people trying to define where there are in life.
Goldie Poblador

One of the most informative books I've read based on the writings of Carl Jung. This book was nicely interactive and has helped me figure out a lot of things about my life and personality.
Parts were good and like so many of these types of books, parts were very dry and hard to get through. But overall I figured a few things out about myself and that was the point of reading it.
A great reference guide. A book that I come back to time and time again. I first read this when it was assigned for my college Humanities Lit class. Amazingly insightful.
This was originally a textbook for an English/Psych class at LCC, but I enjoyed it so much I kept it. I thought I'd read it again and do some inner-reflection.
this is a book you have to own. the title sounds a bit sappy, but its one of the most true/ self-realization books i've ever read. hard to put down
If you're looking for a book on archetypal psychology, I definitely recommend this. Very enlightening.
I wish you could put 1/2 stars, kuz I'd give this 3 1/2. Very interesting look into the typical 12 archetypes.
Tom Leland
For pure value, I'd give it a just have to work harder than you would if the writing was better.
A fun book delving into some common archetypes and how they interact and how they affect our lives.
Re-reading again.
Highly recomend Hero Within and Awkening the Heroes Within as a companion book.
Great resource for study groups
Katie marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Sally marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
  • The Heroine's Journey: Woman's Quest for Wholeness
  • The Owl Was a Baker's Daughter: Obesity, Anorexia Nervosa, and the Repressed Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 4)
  • The Sacred Prostitute: Eternal Aspect of the Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology by Jungian Analysts, 32)
  • Under Saturn's Shadow: The Wounding and Healing of Men (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 63)
  • Aion (Collected Works 9ii)
  • The Wounded Woman: Healing the Father-Daughter Relationship
  • Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey
  • Inner Work: Using Dreams and Active Imagination for Personal Growth
  • The Stories We Live By: Personal Myths and the Making of the Self
  • From Girl to Goddess: The Heroine's Journey Through Myth and Legend
  • Grown-Up Marriage: What We Know, Wish We Had Known, and Still Need to Know About Being Married
  • Circle of Stones: Woman's Journey to Herself
Carol S. Pearson, Ph.D., a world-renowned expert on depth psychology and transformational leadership, is the creator of the system informing this website and of the books and instruments that support it (see Publications page).

Dr. Pearson’s scholarly, administrative, teaching, and consulting work has always been in the service of helping people live and work at a deeper level of awareness. The res
More about Carol S. Pearson...

“we first develop the Ego, then encounter the Soul, and finally give birth to a unique sense of Self.” 2 likes
“The Ego is the “container” for our life. The Ego creates a boundary between us and everything else and mediates our relationship with the world.” 2 likes