Start by marking “Man 2.0: Unlock the Secret to Burn Fat Faster, Build More Muscle, Have Better Sex, and Become the Best Version of Yourself” as Want to Read:

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  791 ratings  ·  81 reviews
Man 2.0 by John Romaniello has descriptive copy which is not yet available from the Publisher.
Published April 16th 2013 by HarperOne (first published April 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Man 2.0, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man 2.0

I liked it, but with a few caveats.

I probably wasn't the intended audience. The authors try really hard on their brand to come across as edgy, no nonsense, atypical personal trainers. They have a chapter titles "The Fitness Industry Is Completely Fucked Up." That's what made me check this book out, to see if they'd say something significant, perhaps about how the business model of commercial gyms and other fitness products aren't aligned with client/customer results, or perhaps about how it fee
Chris Ford
Men's Health with more swearing. Rambling pseudo-motivational-speaker style, with awful mangling of the science (see the treatment of insulin or brown fat for starters). If you know anything about diet or training, there is nothing here for you.
This book left me a bit torn on what to think of it. I honestly am in good shape and needed another fitness/nutrition book like a kick in the balls. I picked it up anyway after I saw his interview with Sean Croxton.

The book offers plenty of insight that a newbie to fitness (or someone set in the old whole grain/killer cardio world) could benefit from. Furthermore, it lays out a very firm set of guidelines and a plan that most books of this nature lack.

The problem I have is the "bro" mentality.
I am so not the target audience. For starters I lack the Y chromosome ;-)
I also already eat a very healthy diet, lift pretty heavy weights and read up quite a bit about working out, diet and sleep over the years.

That said, I still found this book interesting as it combines a lot of information that is out there in one place and presents it relatively simply. I even picked up a few things that were new to me, especially regarding nutrition and hormones which I will certainly research more in-dept
"Man 2.0" is essentially a self-help book, but it's also a fitness guide as well. The authors, Romaniello and Bornstein have the credentials to back up their suggestions, and as authors they keep the information lighthearted and humorous. The thing is, this book doesn't necessarily stand out in any particular way from any random collection of articles in men's health magazines. That's not to say it isn't full of good information, but it still reads like barely-substantiated claims.

Much of this b
Mediocre, Broscientific and Uninsightful

I bought this book even after I knew all the five star reviews (on Amazon) were bogus (written by cronies, friends and family of the authors) and the 1-3 star reviews were justified by objectivity. I'll explain why I did that later, as well as why I'm not disappointed in purchasing this book via Amazon. What I am disappointed in is the complete lack of scientific `secrets' and `revelations' that are supposed to be involved in this book.

Here I was thinking,
No Remorse
Good information on the importance of hormones and how to adjust them.

Hormone: BDNF = Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (Reduces Intelligence) creates synapses

GH = Growth Hormone

Autophagy - bodys ability to regenerate better

"The more time you spend eating - as in actual hours during the day eating - the less time you spend in the autophagic process." Pg.20

"Having high testosterone isn't about being an asshole. It's about not being a little bitch." - Adam Bornstein (Man 2.0 Engineering the

There's some pretty good stuff here. I loved the Joseph Campbell hero/monomyth references. Unfortunately I guess I can't follow the workout schedule (even though it's only 4 days on and 3 days off) since I play so much tennis right now. Hopefully I can find a way to integrate some of the exercises and some of the dietary principles. We'll see. I think I will benefit more from the psychological ideas about being the best me I can be.

By accepting and embracing fear and not backing down, yo
gabriel morales
embarrassing. i got lost in the rio grande valley and started the book, forced myself to get through the whole thing in an act of self-hatred. i don't know what i expected.

the first 80% of the book is: fuck fuck hormones fuck awesome awesome hormones tyler durden awesome trust us awesome fuck read this book testosterone awesome sex kierkegaard awesome testosterone trust us read this book awesome hormones joseph campbell awesome star wars hormones trust us awesome amazing awesome fuck hormones h
Ng Hong
Not a bad book for folks with some problems that they cannot pin point in their lives, such as low on energy, unable to gain or lose weight depending on your situation, not able to sleep.

The author talks about its not about paleo, vegan or south beach, its more about when you are eating what, and the amount that you eat.

There are extensive elaboration on a layman level the different hormones that will affect your body, such as insuilin, growth hormone, testosterone, lectin, estrogen and how the
Eric Kostadinov
If this is the first book you are picking up on nutrition and overall health, I guess it might introduce you to some pretty decent ideas and approaches. I would never turn down a book which promotes Intermittent Fasting. A healthy body means a healthy brain? Perfect. Balance your hormones and chemical make-up to fix your consciousness? Awesome.

Nothing new or controversial though. Filled with way too build-ups to how awesome the program is, but in reality, there is barely one worthy of reading se
Alan Reeves
Very interesting book (with a surprising amount of profanity; the F word...). Many of the concepts, like intermittent fasting and carb cycling, are worth trying. Personally, I'm not in a position to go to the gym so about 1/2 of the book is not as useful as it would be if I could. They emphasize lifting heavy, doing certain exercises, in certain order and at times, faster than you would normally do them. It all makes sense.

Of course, many such books talk about how their information and knowledge
Well I broke my cardinal rule by buying a book with the word 'alpha' in the title. I've come to the conclusion that anyone that uses the term 'alpha' is most definitely not. To be fair, Arnold Schwarzeneggar's praise of this book caused me to get it. Lots of pseudo tough guy 'alpha' posturing from a yuppie author who's most 'alpha' moments in life probably included buying beer when under aged or getting hazed at a frat party.
Skip this, the tips that are valuable are already well-known and out t
If possible I would give this book 3.5 stars.
It has thought me some great information about Testosterone, Insulin, and GH. Those were the most positive aspects. Then they started talking about intermittent fasting, a thing that before reading this book I would never try. Now I might give it a go, because some things sound very appealing and I'm a guy that likes to experiment new stuff.
It's an easy to read book, but then the guys seem to be selling some stuff on their website, and it sounds a lit
Donald Guy
Its been 16 weeks at least mostly-doing the program so I'm calling it done and moving on to the next thing.

Overall: I think it was definitely good for me; I don't know if it lived up to its somewhat hyperbolic promises, but I don't know if that's the fault of the instructions, me, or most likely some of both. To be fair, my adherence to the diet and supplementation regimen fell off towards the end, and probably my level of health followed it down -- but to be fair, this was the same time I start
Evan McB
Jul 29, 2013 Evan McB rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bros, brehs, cuzs
Recommended to Evan by: so help me, /fit/
Shelves: getting-pumped
This shouldn't be the first, second, or even third book you read about health, fitness, and working out. In order, those should be Body by Science (really the only book you absolutely need to read to understand why and how much you should exercise), The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman (which cites McGuff and BBS heavily with regards to the benefits and proper protocols of exercise, but also provides the most direct and accurate informatio ...more
I did not like the tone of the book, the Americanisms, swearing and "bro-isms", but aside from that it was very interesting. It gave some great scientific background for the diet and regime it was about to propose... However...

Then came the action part of the book. I found errors in the write up of the exercises, for example saying to do a plank for 45 seconds, then later in the next sentence referring to performing a plank for 60 seconds. Also stating that you need 1.25g of protein per lb of le
Belal Khan
Where Tim Ferris's "4-Hour Body" fell short, this book picks up the slack.

One of the short comings of Ferris's book is the shortage of sample data. He has data from less than 200 people.

The authors of "Man 2.0" have over a decade of research and experiments from over 1000s of clients to support what they have presented in their book.

They've done a pretty good job of applying Joseph Cambell's "Hero's Journey" model to the book so it's easy for the reader/listener to follow.

This is'nt a diet book,
I think I bought this particular book because it came across as something fresh and new in the much written about topic of masculinity. However it became fairly clear after a few pages in that the content was far from revolutionary.

Most people with an adequate interest in health and fitness would know much of what is provided in the book. For this reason I would perhaps recommend it to people wanting a base-knowledge of men's general health.

As for it's awe-inspiring sex advice - like setting yo
Adam Marquis
Man 2.0 put me immediately on edge by trying to convince me that I was special and better than those other, ordinary men. This made we wary because in my experience the "you are a special snowflake" pitch is followed by somebody trying to sell me some bullshit.

What actually followed wasn't all bullshit, but sure was confusing.

Yes, there are useful facts in here. There are persistent fitness myths that get dispelled. But these gems are hidden in a pile of chaff for whom I have literally no idea w
Mike Walsh
I was introduced to John Romaniello around 2 years ago by a post on another website that was promoting his workout program "Super Hero Fat Loss". It seemed just nerdy enough and fun enough and I was looking for something to get me out of my rut, so I gave it a shot. I was pretty out of shape at the time, so it was difficult for me but it got me back on track in the gym. Now I can say I'm in the best athletic shape of my life and working towards being in the best physical shape of my life. Roman ...more
I rarely write reviews, but this is the best fitness book I have ever read - period. It's a must read for anyone who's past the beginner stage of weight training, plateau'd, and wants to get to that next level (and let's face it, start to get shredded like Zyzz and/or pack on serious size gains like GH15 [only without the steroids] ... at least I did).

If you're reading this, you know what it is, you know what it reads like, the hype that surrounded the book, etc. So far, not one person shared th
Chad Wojtysiak
An interesting read on fitness and nutrition. Though there was a lot left to be desired in what the nutrition actually looks like under the proposed meal planning.

A major turn-off was the language used in the book. I pushed through the language because the ideas presented were interesting and the book came as a recommendation.

Some of the content could have easily been left out for me (the exercises were of little value - as I plan to continue with a modification of some of the current programs I
Concise breakdown of well documented information from the internet. Then mix in a good amount of 'bro'-ism. The information is useful and will work if you follow it correctly, and I applaud John on trying to not make another mass of word vomit and cheesy inspiration. If your interested, I think has a much better breakdown of the diet mechanism used in here. He does however add a good amount of guidance for hormone regulation which is important. Overall, the book was okay.
I decided to buy this book given that I was already familiar with some of John Romaniello's online articles. I anticipated it to be a read similar to Tim Ferriss' "The 4 Hour Body" but this book was essentially a nutrition and physique recomposition guide. It contained offensive language which I found entertaining and comedic at times.The authors really touch upon hormone optimization which is often overlooked with some other fitness books and/or online fitness articles. The book gives you a det ...more
Minh Chien
A really good book written with support science about how we function and grow stronger as a male individual. The author, though, failed to back up his claim that he is not trying to provide false information by trying to sell fitness product. However, the book contained generally good information and insights as a bodybuilder and can be used with consideration.
Jeffrey Tilley
Not as douchey as the cover and tag lines suggest (and made me initially dismissive). If it hadn't been for his interview with Dave Aspry I would have continued dismissing it. Some real hard science and helpful information inside especially for those interested in intermittent fasting. The Joseph Campbell path to health and fitness was a nice touch.

Update: now that I am actually using the program a few days in, I'm realizing there was some stuff that seems hurried through and ill explained. Card
I bought this the day it came out after a hearty endorsement by James Altucher and Tim Ferriss. I expected t his to be something like the 4 hour body.

But "engineering the alpha" is a bit different. This is a book focused on how to "hack" your body's hormones and make them work for you. It is jam packed with information and scientific references. You will not just learn what you should do but also, and perhaps more importantly, why you should do it. The authors explain what a certain hormone doe
Great workout routines and dietary advice if you have the dedication to follow them. I don't train as frequently as he suggests, so I definitely don't get the full benefit of his plans, but Roman's routines have become my go-to whenever I do make it to the gym. It was a little hard to keep track of all the hormones and what their roles were. Again, that's because I didn't put in the time necessary to really understand them.

I found the writing style a little annoying and forced, but this was my
  • Building The Gymnastic Body: The Science Of Gymnastics Strength Training
  • The New ME Diet: Eat More, Work Out Less, and Actually Lose Weight While You Rest
  • Make Shift Happen: Change How You Look by Changing How You Think
  • Becoming a Supple Leopard: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance
  • Sweet Potato Power: Smart Carbs:  Paleo and Personalized
  • Never Let Go: A Philosophy of Lifting, Living and Learning
  • Dangerous Grains
  • How to Eat, Move, and Be Healthy!: Your Personalized 4-Step Guide to Looking and Feeling Great from the Inside Out
  • Eat Naked: Unprocessed, Unpolluted, and Undressed Eating for a Healthier, Sexier You
  • Sexy by Nature: The Whole Foods Solution to Radiant Health, Life-Long Sex Appeal, and Soaring Confidence
  • A Philosopher's Notes: On Optimal Living, Creating an Authentically Awesome Life and Other Such Goodness, Vol. 1
  • Encyclopedia of Healing Foods
  • The Crazy Makers
  • Dr. Gundry's Diet Evolution: Turn Off the Genes That Are Killing You--And Your Waistline--And Drop the Weight for Good
  • Caffeine Blues: Wake Up to the Hidden Dangers of America's #1 Drug
  • Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill
  • Naked Calories: How Micronutrients Can Maximize Weight Loss, Prevent Disease and Enhance Your Life
  • The Edge Effect: Achieve Total Health and Longevity with the Balanced Brain Advantage

John Romaniello is an author, coach and angel investor. As one of the most highly regarded experts in the fitness industry, Romaniello has written hundreds of articles covering training, nutrition and business for a myriad of publications, ranging from from Men's Health to Fast Company.

Romaniello is the author of the New York Times Bestseller, Man 2.0 Engineering the Alpha (HarperOne 2013), an ad
More about John Romaniello...
Der Alpha Code: Fitness für echte Männer. - Mehr Muskeln, mehr Erfolg, mehr Sex - Mit einem Vorwort von Arnold Schwarzenegger